You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: What Was It?

Real Ghost Stories

What Was It?

 

When I was young, we lived in suburban area in a development called Marlton. It was all new houses and unique in that it was surrounded by miles of woods. This was great for the explorer in me and through time, made many odd discoveries. For example, me and my friends found an abandoned dump which had items well over 60 years old. [The time I am describing is about 1970 or 72; I was 8 or 10].There was also an abandoned house we found off a dirt road complete with furniture! Clearly, Marlton was built in an area that at least at one time had sporadic residents. I felt it necessary to convey this information and I think you will see why.

Both of my parents worked and would get home about 6pm, and me and my sister would get home from school about 4pm. Our house was a split level, and when you went in the front door the foyer gave you the option of going upstairs/kitchen/dining room to the left or long hallway to the right leading to the bedrooms. Because of this layout, the ceiling above the foyer was about 20 feet high.

One day I got home and as soon as I closed the door there was a high pitched squeal from above me. It unnerved me a little but I got over it. Three days later, me and my sister arrived home, closed the door and immediately we could hear someone running down the hallway toward the bedrooms at the end. Me and my sister were very alarmed, but since the footsteps sounded light [like a child] I stayed and my sister ran and got the neighbor. Our neighbor, a retired air force officer, searched everywhere and found no one. And yes, all windows were locked. This never happened again.

Anyone got a thought?

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Maryland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, beeman, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-29)
If it was an old house you lived in there is always the possibility of a secret passage.
hippiechick83 (5 stories) (112 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-10)
You're so lucky to find the abandoned house! I would have been in all my explorer glory! I too, as a kid loved to explore and just knew that someday, I would find my very own "haunted house." When I was 12, my cousin and I totally trespassed onto private property to break into this abandonded victiorian mansion... It was unfortunately very abandoned and nothing special happened. Except for us high tailing it out of there when we saw a cop patrolling by.

Anyways, I'm rambling. I have no idea what the noise you heard in your house was... Unless something followed you home from the abandoned house. But that was a great story, thanks for sharing! 😊
phil1985 (2 stories) (3 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-09)
Gosh, gallogian, you have truly shown me the light (!) I guess it takes brilliant guys like you to show us the error of our ways (!)
SuperHBK (6 stories) (63 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-09)
beeman... Very interesting I must say... May thoughts on this is that it might have been a spirit who clearly wants you to know its there. You said that you found a abandon house... Hmmmmm... I am running now on speculation here... It could be some one from that house that you saw, and maybe that spirit thought that you can help him/her... Which clearly was not cause like you said you haven't seen him since. But never the less I am 100% behind you on your theory of that it might be a wandering spirit.

Take care
beeman (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-08)
I seriously doubt it was an animal on the roof as from the backyard it was 20 feet to the gutter and 30 feet in the front. I stood in the foyer at the door ready to flee and saw or heard nothing else in the 2 minutes waiting for the neighbor. I followed him as he searched and he did, in fact, look everywhere. I am nearly 50 now, but I remember this like it was last week. It certainly explains why I can't dismiss the idea that ghosts exist.
shadow_witch (65 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-08)
Well...Hmmmm...I'd say if you had no pets... Then it had to be either... Someone who broke in and was in your house when you arrived...OR...A GHOST! There's really no other logical explanation right? 😕

UNLESS...You mistook the sounds "upstairs" for some type of animal on the roof.

Other than that... I really can't think of anything else it could have been... Except for maybe a residual haunting.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: