You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Max's Final Goodbye?

Real Ghost Stories

Max's Final Goodbye?

 

My earliest account of ghost activity was when I was around 12 years old. I was then living in my old house where I have lived ten years in total. My dog Max was 15 when he died in February of 2006. His sudden illness came out of nowhere. He started having seizures and my dad told me that he was in constant pain, so a trip to the vet was needed. I was at school when he was taken to the vet and I remember that very morning of when I last saw him very well. He was just lying on the floor, not moving. I had a very odd feeling wash over me like I would never see him again. So I went to school and I remember having a bad feeling in my gut around noontime.

My mom picked me up later and I was told that the vet suspected that Max had a cancerous tumor in his brain. My parents were given the option to keep him alive or put him to sleep. My dad agreed to put him to sleep. So my brother and I waited for my dad to return home from the vet with Max's body. My dad came home and had a bundle in a trash bag. A bad feeling drowned my insides. I knew what was in the bag. My dad took him out and let us pet him one last time. He was all rigid and cold... A feeling I wasn't used to. He was then buried right outside my window. I prayed out loud for him and then everyone went inside.

A few months later, my neighbor's daughter Erin, my brother, and I were sitting on my back porch talking. We were silenced by a panting noise that was steadily growing louder until it sounded like it was right next to where I was seated. The first thought that came to mind was that it was either my other dog or Erin's. However, her dog was inside locked away in her parent's room, and mine was inside in my parent's room. We sat there for a minute or two before running around the house twice before coming back to where we were before. Nothing. I haven't heard anything since. Could that have been Max saying goodbye?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, RedWine9, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Ghostkid123 (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-11)
Same thing happened with my cat! I heard he meowing all night from the bathroom almost silently! Love the story
Casper-ess (9 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-22)
RedWine9...I'm so sorry for your loss. It'd be so hard to not have Bailey with you anymore but I think that he'll always be with you in spirit. I think that our pets that pass on come to us at different stages in our lives, be it in the good times or bad... It all depends as we're all different. He was definietly coming to say goodbye but also to say I'll always be around...you'll just feel it. ❤
RedWine9 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-18)
"Your dog's "sudden illness" is called old age. 15 years is about all a dog gets.:

Sudden illness? He had Cancer but it took me awhile to realize what he had. He didn't show any symptoms until a week or two before his death. My parents noticed it, but didn't want to tell the 12 year old me that he was dying.

This comment from Kericho is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2010-09-15)
RedWine: Sorry for your loss this story rings bells for me I also lost my dog at the age of 15 to the exact same diagnosis it is a terrible thing to happen and I can understand exactly how you must have been feeling. My dog used to nuzzle his nose under my hand if I was sitting down so he could get a pat.
Now after he passed the same thing has happened to me twice whilst sitting in the lounge I know it is him because there is nothing that can mimic that feeling.
I definitely believe that what you experienced was Max letting you know that he is happy and no longer suffering. All the best to you.😁

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
14 years ago (2010-09-15)
RedWine: I agree with BadJuuJuu... Pets are so much a part of the family... And seeing that you had Max for so long, you literally grew up with him!...I'm sure the sensations you felt prior to his death stem from the closeness you two shared... I think he was saying good-bye...Just a heads-up: sometimes our furry friends like to visit, so that may not be the last time you see or hear him!... ❤
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-15)
I believe that our animal friends do come back to say goodbye, and let us know that they are alright. I think they do that to tell us that they are in a better place, and that we don't have to worry about them anymore.
taixuan (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-15)
where's next? It's a good beginning! My English is poor, so I can't write more, pelease forgive me!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: