You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Psychic / Medium :: Being Psychic is a Troublesome Gift

Real Ghost Stories

Being Psychic is a Troublesome Gift

 

Since I was a little girl I have been seeing and hearing things that most people can not. I am 24 years old now and this hasn't gone away. I awake in the middle of the night only to find things or what used to be people, I guess, staring at me. I see shadows, I never heard any of them talk to me, but I can sometimes on occasion hear weird noises. I can tell people things that no one else would know but them. Am I different? I am starting to wonder if I'm losing it. I would like this gift, as most people would call it, to just go away.

I just bought a house 4 months ago and I'm starting to have dreams or, I guess, nightmares about the basement. I'm seeing dark shadows walk around the house and hearing things drop at night. The house is 47 years old. I can't walk into a hospital without feeling overwhelmed. I feel like things are surrounding me and it's very cold when it happens. I'm starting to feel helpless. What should I do?

My mom says that this is just a gift that God has given me, but I'm not quite sure I want it. I'm never afraid of these things but fear some day I may be. I won't tell anyone about this except my mom. I guess you could say I'm ashamed. I don't want to look like a nut case. I've read all the books and watched all the movies but still can't figure out why. Can I get rid of this or am I stuck with it? Will my children have the same problem? My youngest daughter is two and I've seen her do things that I use to do, like stare very focused on something before she will walk into a room. I have also heard her talking to someone who is not there. And the shadows that I see seem to want to stay in her room more than the rest of the house.

Why can't I see what she sees?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Kentucky

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, CHRISTINA, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

crashacton (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-18)
i know it may be hard for you, but you just have to stay strong my mother and I go through the exact same thing we just keep our composure together and just talk to eachother about it. Its rough sometimes but that gift is specail and was given to you for a reason you will just have to look deep within yourself to find out your purpose. Hope all goes well and god speed 😊 😉
Alivia_Valliance (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-31)
Your child most likely has a more vibrant case. Children are very sensitive senses, all of them. Being curious and open-minded, without the arrogant traits of teenagers or stress of adults, they have more patience and openess to see things. Her psychic level will most likely be like yours when she ages up.
carri (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-30)
Christina, I have a daughter who is 6 her name is also christina and she is a powerful psychic. She sees spririts, ghosts, demons, the devil. She always sees ghosts. But since I am her mother I am psychic so she inherited this gift. And she appears to have it more than I ever have. We are christians we have had a lot of paranormal experiences. But I named her christina after christ. Maybe there is something about that name. I am able to predict future events read peoples minds and hear parnormal activity. But your gift is a blessing. Its in the bible under the gift of phophecy. So its an acceptable gift to christians. Some people will think you are nuts. But they don't believe in the spirit world. Wait until judgement day maybe then they will. I try not to communicate with spirits since my faith doesn't believe in it. But they always bother me. My daughter has been seeing the devil and demons marching in my trailor. I did not believe her at first then one day she was crying the devil is here. The wind was howling like crazy outside. I heard loud footsteeps in the hall of my trailor when no one was there. A black figure was flowing in my living room. It looked like a demon. So it can be scary. But good luck.
Simi (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-18)
Hello, I have had the same trouble. My mom tells me that when I was little she would hear me crying and come into the room and then I would be staring at something and smiling. When I have been scared I have felt someone hug me or pat my back when no ones there also when I was 10 I was at my aunts and I was scared of the dark and asked her to turn the light on and it came on by its self. When I'm stressed someone will massage my shoulders even though I'm the only one in the room
Kurotorachan (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-08)
... I'm not sure I should say anything, but my sister does the same as your daughter (well, she doesn't talk but she seems to comprehend...) and I did and still do see and hear things. My cat makes them go away; it doesn't work for all spirits because of energy levels. Try meditating and imagining a bubble around you that they bounce off of.
poltergeist45 (1 stories) (46 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-04)
Hi Christina! Actually we all have some level of psychic abilities, we just don't realize it. But in your case you do have a gift, and yes more than likely your children will have it also. And I'm sorry but if you don't like your gift I'm afraid there is nothing you can do. You've been chosen by god to receive this gift for a reason. Why I don't know, but you will have to live with it. Mabey you should try using your gift to communicate with the people you see? But that's your decision! Thanks for the story.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-03)
Our gift never goes away. I have had this since I was age 4 and I am in the 50's now and it's still there.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-03)
Thank you Cursed, often times I wonder if the words that come from my heart are read with the same intensity as they come to me, or if what I say even makes sense, thank you for verifying that they are read with the intent in which they are written.
All I can really do is give of my experiences. Share what has worked for us and learn what others have to teach. That is what we are here for. As far as advice, I try to give what I feel, and not so much tell people what they should do. It is a choice that I feel others must make, and not mine to say "you have to do this", but rather "what has worked for us is..."
Thank you, again.
CursedByDeath (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-27)
WhiteBuffalo and Christina,

I'm not trying to offer advice. I am just comforted (& trying to offer some comfort to others) that someone else is having the same experience. I just want to let other's know that they are not alone.

I've lived with this as long as I can remember and have not shared my story with many people. When I have shared my experiences, I have only received disbelief or critisism in return. So I know how alone you can feel.

WhiteBuffalo, your words of wisdom are helping me cope with my experiences. Please keep them comming. I wish there were more people like you. Thanks.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-26)
Excuse me, please, Christina. This comment is for both you and Cursed.

I am not trying to follow you around here, Cursed, but I saw something there on the left of the screen and decided to come see what that was.

When The Great Spirit gives us anything (be it life, a job we have been praying for, our normal senses, or WHATEVER) it is given as a gift. We have the power to do with it what we will. We can "re-gift" it (by passing it onto our children knowingly or unknowingly), We can accept it and try to live with it, we can put it up on a shelf and pretend we do not have the gift or we can return it (that is usually only achieved in death).
We do not have to repay Him, do not have to accept what He has given and we do not have to give Him anything in return. Therefore it is a Gift.
It does feel as if it is a curse to some when trying to figure out how to use this talent (if someone uses this gift, I chose to call it a talent) and for some that does take a lifetime of learning new things constantly.
But Hun, you are not cursed. You are blessed. This is just a part of you that makes you who you are. It is only in finding how to use your talents that you will become who you are meant to be.

This comment was for both Christina and for Cursed, and for anyone out there who is feeling the same. So many times we all think we are alone in this thing that we call life, but for some reason we were all drawn to this site and here we remain if only to combat the boredom of work. When we all collectively posed our first question, we all took that first step to a clearer understanding of what is truly going on around us. But take a look. Yours is not the only name on this board. There are many more here, just like us and not at all like us, searching for answers.

'Nough said. 😉
CursedByDeath (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-26)
CHRISTINA,

I'm not sure I can help any. As I feel pretty much the same about my (gift). I've lived with this all my life. I've tried to tell my wife about it and she got scared and does not want to know anymore. Friends that I've told get scared as well.

This (gift) runs in my family. I am aware that my grandmother has simular experiences as I have. I don't know if my children have it.

Why can't we find a better word than (gift). I don't consider this a gift. I consider this a curse.
ginahunt3 (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-07)
Hi Christina! I don't have the ability that you have, but I tend to agree with other posts to you. You have to learn to communicate with the spirits that you see, once you have mastered that, then I think you will feel that your ability is something to cherish and not dread or fear. If you would like to talk more, feel free to e-mail me. I can try to help you figure out how to control it instead of it cotrolling you. Either way, good luck!
NMS (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-05-28)
I think you should read my story called Pet Psychics. I also think that you won't be able to get rid of it, and that sometimes some people see different sorts of things, like my friend and her brother. They also had a little sister, but she doesn't see any spirits, and as far as I know, their parents and grandparents don't either. If you're worried about people thinking you're a nut case, I think you shouldn't exactly tell the world, but I you want, you should tell people that believe in such things. Also about psychics/spirits: I think being a psychic or medium isn't the same as being able to see spirits, because you have to develop psychic skills and that you can't and don't have to develop the ability to see spirits, and that people who have neither occasionally have visions/feelings taht something will happen or another random things considered psychic. I think it is a gift God has given you, but also that I would be sometimes be bothered by it if I had it.
shadow (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-05-21)
Hi, I have the same problem. It's not as bad as yours but generally the ghosts/spirits won't hurt you. In fact most of them can't even see you. You just have to get used to it and yes you're children probably will have. My mum and her mum and so on have it.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-05-20)
Hello CHRISTINA,

I don't think you will ever really be able to rid yourself of this gift. But I would be willing to bet that you could learn to control it, you just need to find a reputable medium in your area to help you in this matter. Now as for your children receiving this gift from you, it is highly plausable. Also children will see and hear things we as adults can not because their young minds have not been polluted by the judgements of society as to what is real and what isn't. Sit down with your child and ask them directly what they are seeing and who they are talking to. You say you feel no fear at present, but are afraid you will in the future. If you can control your fear on this now, then you should not have any fear of the future either.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
saddy1943 (4 stories) (16 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-05-20)
Christina, I have had the same gift since I was 5 years old. When I was younger it use to bother me really bad. Like the time a teenage girl diapeared after walking across a bridge and they could not find her. That night I saw her in a vision walk along the river and she came to a drainage ditch. The only way she could cross was to walk across a tressel that carried water over the ditch. When she got to the middle of the tressel she fell hitting her head and she went into the water and drowned. I was 12 at the time and I told my mother about it and she told me not to get involved. That I would be blamed for her death. So I said nothing. Two weeks later a fisherman found her body right where I saw her fall in. Some spirits are good some are evil, if you are having problems with the latter, you may need to have your home blessed with Holy Water by a Priest or a Minister. Ask your daughter what she sees, and try to get her to talk about it. I am 64 and I have had a lot of expirences with ghost and spirits. Read some of my stories. Saddy1943
fourthgeneration (6 stories) (29 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-05-20)
Christina,

Wow, that is a lot to take in. It sounds VERY similar to what my sister experiences, however. Spirits seek her out all the time to ask questions or relay information. It's never an evil or threatening experience, but it upsets her still because it is very unnatural.

As for "will it go away?" and "will my children have the same problem?", my handle on this site is due to the fact that nearly all of the offspring of my paternal great-grandmother have had some form of "sixth sense," from being a medium to sensing/seeing evil to levitation and/or being the designated family member that one visits to say goodbye after they have died. She had absolutely phenomenal vision and abilities... And it seems as though her offspring inherited at least a small taste of what she was capable of. No guarantee, of course, that your daughter will experience the same things you do. However, in MY family, whenever you share experiences such as this with aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc., they just laugh and say "that's because you've got 'The Gift,'" as if it is an every day occurrence. ;-)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: