You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Floating Hand

Real Ghost Stories

A Floating Hand

 

When I was a child, about 5 or 6, I had my first "experience". I was playing in my front yard with my cousins when one of them grabbed me by the arm and told me to look in the woods across the street. In the woods I saw a disembodied hand that was about 6-8 feet tall floating in the air. It was a right hand based on the position of the thumb. The palm of the hand was open and facing me and the palm was bloody. In the palm there was an eye that did not blink. I seem to remember hearing a voice but that part is hazy. The hand hovered in midair. The next thing I can remember is being inside, hiding behind some pillows on the couch and crying because I was terrified. I remember my mom trying to calm me down. I have no idea what it was or where it came from. I have never seen it since.

I live in my childhood home which is in the country and not much has changed since that time, I am now almost 30. The woods where I saw this was around a field and there wasn't anyone around here at the time that could have faked this. I remember the hand vividly and it has always played on my mind. I would like to know what it could have been. I have combed the Internet looking for answers but I haven't found anything like this. I may not have ever seen the hand again but I have had plenty of other experiences in and around my home, in my grandmother's house next door and in my parent's new home behind my house.

We have an old cemetery somewhere near my house, there was a school only a few yards from my house that stood in the 1800's that we aren't sure of what happened to it, at least 3 people have died on the property and I have found arrow heads on my property. All possible explanations I guess. My son is almost five and he has already started seeing things here. My father grew up here and saw a demon above his bed as a child. Non-believing friends of mine have become believers after spending one night here. I can understand all of my other experiences here but I have yet to understand the floating hand.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jenifer7538, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

TJR (13 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-13)
We are a reputable paranormal research group that does these kind of investigations. If you are interested, we have plenty of equipment to try and get evidence and we do a professional job. We will document and verify every piece of evidence that is found. We do not charge the client for this. Afterwards, after we review all of our evidence we will send you a dvd of all the evidence we did find.
You can email us at acknowledgingsupernaturalspirits [at] hotmail.com
scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-17)
Wow I have never heard of a giant hand like this! However I remember in an apartment I lived there were a few times I would see gigantic house flies on the walls that would appear and disappear, and they were about the size of basketballs or bigger. I have heard of other stories about giant flies as well, but not a giant hand. That is really crazy stuff. It sounds like your land is really haunted! I hope you can find the answers you are looking for.
Jenifer7538 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-07)
I have looked a little bit into the history but can't find very much. I also have several underground streams crossing my property and long ago sealed artesian wells on my land. I think that may be a source of energy. My grandparents would talk about things they called jack-o-lanterns that were basketball sized balls of light with several legs that would often be seen floating in the woods. My long dead great-uncle was a witch doctor he could talk fire out of people, cured gangrene by speaking in tongues, could cure warts and was known for "throwing curses" when crossed. His home is less than a mile from mine and the lady that bought it said it's very haunted. I was playing outside with a friend during the summer and we heard something, we saw a figure peeping around the side of the house. It wasn't very tall and right after we turned around it took off and we could hear it run into the cornfield. Then we noticed that we could see our breath like it was very cold outside but it was hot. I had that happen another time. I could go on and on about my experiences. I think it's like a perfect storm here and I have had experiences other places I have lived. My two sisters and my brother have had experiences as well. One of my sisters is convinced something has attached itself to her. I am afraid for my son though. My old bedroom is his now and he is terrified of it. I haven't been able to get him to sleep in there for months. I should mention that I watched my Ken doll that had been on the floor walk across the foot of my bed then fall face down on the bed. I haven't seen or heard anything in almost a year but I think my son is picking up on something. I don't want him growing up afraid like I did.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-05)
Hi Jenifer, thanks for getting back to us with more information. After reading about the long history of experiences your family has had on that land, I agree with you and think that whatever is there is attached to the land and possibly your family. I wonder what would turn up if you were to research the history of the land before your great granparents acquired it. Maybe you would find out who the gray man is and if a curse was placed on the land. The eye in hand symbol is used as protection against the evil eye so perhaps one of your ancestors sent you the symbol that day to protect you. If your research does bring any new information, please keep us posted. 😊
Jenifer7538 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-05)
Oh I would also like to add that I don't remember the hand having an arm attached or a wrist it started at the bottom of the palm. And please do not forget that this thing was HUGE it was easily the size of a car.
Jenifer7538 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-05)
Sorry for not commenting back to anyone sooner and I appreciate all the comments. To answer some questions, I haven't seen those cousins in years. Our fathers had a falling out so I have no idea if they remember this as well. I don't believe it was a dream because my mom remembers the incident because she thought it was odd that I came in crying accusing my cousin of being the devil. (I thought he made the hand appear in the woods but he was as scared as I was) As far as the color of the eye, I don't remember that. And one aspect of the hand that let me know it wasn't an object in the tree is that I could see the trees through the hand, it was slightly translucent. I really like cosmo's comment and all the research I've done also suggests that it is a protection from the evil eye. I often wonder if my land is cursed in some way because my grandfather was plaqued throught his life with visions of a man in gray. He would see him while he was awake and would be attacked by him when he was sleeping. My grandmother would often have to shake him to wake him up because he would act out the dream when the man in gray would attack him. Before I knew about my grandfather and the man in gray, when I was about 10 I saw a gray man standing in my grandmother's living room after telling her what I saw she told me about my grandfather's experiences. My father saw a demon in my grandmothers house, and I don't remember this but my older sister remembers me crying and screaming when I was about 8 because I saw a man sitting in one of the old oak trees in our yard but her and my mom couldn't find anyone. I have had many many more experiences there and since I was a child I have been plaqued by the most horrible nightmares. I can remember nightmares that I had when I was 3 and 4 and I am aware that these are nightmares and this is why I know the hand was not a dream. All in all I'm not sure what it was or why I saw it and I would love it if it was something that was faked but that combined with my experiences, my son's experiences, my father's experiences, my grandparents' experiences, my brother's experiences, my ex-husband's experiences, my friends' experiences and even my great-grandparents' experiences I am convinced that there is something attached to my land.
butthead (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-03)
I also think Pjod's idea shouldnt be discarded from thoughts either.

One of my scariest moments as a child I was never sure if it was real or a dream anymore, it felt so so real. I was probably about 5years old then. And it annoys me that I can never be sure it was real.
That was hearing noises and getting outa bed opening my curtain late into the early hours of teh morning to find foxes jumping up and kind of blarin teeth at my bedroom window (accessible to the fields and they did visit into our gardens)
It felt so real and so scary, but I'm 28 and I never remember if it was real for sure since I got older.
butthead (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-03)
i've seen an apparation and watched a hand that was lit up in blue touch me, I know they exist in the weirdest of places (still yet to write about that first 1).

I do wonder though, why the hand you saw would have a face in the palm. Surely you don't mean a head? Like holding a head?

It makes me think that could it be possible something was hanging in the tree that because of how it hung it was in the shape of a hand?

Maybe a bag with a face on it or I don't know... Anything loose that hangs changes shape I guess.
Not trying to say I don't believe you, it's just a thought.

DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-03)
Interesting account in my honest opinion I think it could be something attached the land, the way you have described it sounds like it is rich with history. Cosmo brings upsome good points I'm also interested if your cousins recall seeing this?

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-03)
Young kids can easily confuse dreams with reality sometimes. It sounds like a symbolic dream to me. 😕
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-03)
This is very interesting. The eye in hand symbol can mean different things in different cultures. It originated in the Middle East and represent God's protective hand and the blue eye on it shields it's owner from the curse of the evil eye. The hand's positive energy is said to draw happiness, riches, and health. Do you remember what color the eye was? Also, do your cousins remember this incident as well?
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-03)
being so young, perhaps the hand memory was really a bad dream. I have a 5 year old... And it seems easy for one at that age to confuse a memory of disturbing dreams vs real life. Just a thought.
ImSmiley (3 stories) (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-03)
that is scary. I myself have a similar story to yours too. You can go read it under my account. I don't know why it's a hand that most of us seems to see.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: