You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Ghostly Hand Squeezes Mine As A Child

Real Ghost Stories

Ghostly Hand Squeezes Mine As A Child

 

I have already posted two stories that occurred to me when I was an adult. This memory involves when I was a child, perhaps 4 years old or around there. Some of my earliest memories involve frightening imagery of shadow people moving about our house. I didn't know who or what they were, just that they weren't part of our family. I remember becoming so terrified I recall times where my mom would have to put me on her lap and rock me until I calmed down. One of the clearest memories was of waking up and looking down our long hallway (my bedroom door was open) and seeing this very distinct, very large, dark figure just standing there. I couldn't make out any face or facial details but I knew it was staring straight at me. I don't recall what happened after that but that memory has always remained strong even to this day, not like a dream memory but an actual lucid, waking memory.

So paranormal-type of activity was heavy from around the age of 3 until about 5 or 6 if I had to guess. It was during this time when the ghostly hand squeezed mine. I can remember this like it was literally yesterday. I had gone to bed and I remember being unable to fall asleep. I was on my stomach with my right arm dangling over the bedside (the opposite side of the bed was against a wall). My hand was drooped downward. Suddenly someone...Something, took ahold of my hand and gently squeezed.

As you can imagine, I let out the most blood-curdling scream a small child could muster! My parents were at my bedroom door within seconds asking me what was wrong? Of course and predictably, I said there was a monster under my bed and as you can imagine, they patronizingly checked under my bed, found nothing and told me it was just a bad dream and to go back to bed.

My protesting to the contrary fell on deaf ears. There was nothing I could do but stay in my bed, petrified until dawn and that's precisely what I did. The feeling of the fleshy hand was as real as any hand I have ever shook or held in my lifetime. It wasn't cold, it was warm and the squeeze was very gentle, not in any way aggressive. There was a contact event that took place years later, truly a story on its own, in 1997 that may explain the source but that experience doesn't seem to fit on this website (more ET-related).

To this day, even as a 52-year-old man, I still won't dangle my arm/hand over the side of a bed at night.

Other hauntings by Aros

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Washington

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Aros, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Aros (6 stories) (57 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2021-03-26)
aussiedaz, thank you for sharing your experience! I really like how you illustrated how by reaching out to her grand son, your mom made the contact even more poignant for the very reason you mentioned. Some who cross into spirit work very hard to connect in ways that will help get through beyond coincidence. Sounds like your mom was one of those spirits.
Aros (6 stories) (57 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2021-03-26)
Macknorton thanks for your comments. Some food for thought for certain as your angle of motive is intriguing to me. Especially about how the entity could NOT know how frightening the experience would be to a small child. It just so happens that years later (I'm still trying to find the right category to publish this account) I had a contact experience with what I believe was a possible Non-Human Intelligence (ET) which made me wonder if that was who was responsible for the physical contact as a child.

If this were to be the case, it would make sense that an alien species may not have the same understanding of basic human relations as a fellow human might. I've read many accounts from ET experiencers which heavily suggests although they have far superior technology and universal knowledge than we do, they have a fundamental lack of understanding human emotions. (I'm painting with a seriously broad brush here). This could explain the friendly gesture without comprehending my imminent reaction.

Thank you for your thoughts on my experience!
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+1
3 years ago (2021-03-26)
Hi Aros, after my mother passed away, I do remember dangling my hand over the bed and asking her to hold it if she was with me for several months, in an attempt to communicate with her of which should I say never prevailed in the context of what I was seeking.

In one of my stories here without going back and paraphrasing from it, I do remember the night she came through and had a conversation with me... Of which i'll never forget and should I say, it was such a wonderful paranormal experience to have and will cherish until the day I see her again,anyway... The very next day my daughter, of whom was around 15 years of age from memory, came into my room and said dad, do you know what happened to T last night? T being my youngest son.

She went onto explain... He was laying in bed, when someone held his hand as our dog was whimpering at the foot of his bed. In short, he felt someone was with him too?... Without any family member knowing about my own account, I'd realised it was my mother hedging her own presence by interacting with both of us and by holding his hand?... It was probably my mothers way of letting me know my own account was not just some figment of my imagination of which may have entered my mind when you experience something so profound?... Anyway,

I do understand at 4 years old it would have frighten you, however, the fact that it was a gentle touch would vindicate IMO<, it was probably a family member who had crossed over?. My own earliest experience was around 3 years old and it too frighten me to some degree, I know how that feels.

Thank you for sharing it.

Regards Daz!
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2021-03-25)
Hi Aros

Thanks for sharing this interesting experience.

For me, when I read about spirit / ghost interactions with us "flesh and blood" types, my first thought is always "motive".

WHY are they doing what they are doing? In my opinion, just like us folk in physical form who always have a motive for doing everything we do, one must come to the logical conclusion that spirits with consciousness must also have a motive for their actions.

So your description of the experience; "... It wasn't cold, it was warm and the squeeze was very gentle, not in any way aggressive..." to me is, perplexing.

It would appear that the effect that "squeezer" was to be that of a kind, almost reassuring type of experience for the "squeezee" (quite possibly not even a real word).

Between two completely visible "flesh and blood" people, this gesture would be (usually) very comforting (if the motive is good).

What's interesting to me is that the "squeezer" MUST have had some awareness that their unexpected actions, no matter how kind their intentions were, would TERRIFY a young child, not expecting their hand to be gently, and warmly touched.

So for me, this creates the question of MOTIVE. Was this spirit truly attempting to provide a loving, reassuring comfort of sorts, and if so, how could they NOT anticipate the reaction it would cause?

And if the squeezer's motive / intent was to terrify, then that's a really sh*tty way of doing it, and reveals an extremely diabolical mind behind the action.

Maybe I'm overthinking it... But all the same, very interesting stuff.

Regards

Mack
Aros (6 stories) (57 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2021-03-24)
Thank you VermontVampyre, excellent advice! I guess I never really thought about that much since growing up I just assumed before our home and the neighborhood was there it was simply woods. But you are definitely correct that spirits can be just as attracted to a place/region as they can a specific house or dwelling. Now you've got me thinking. I'll do some research on the area and see if I can discover anything intriguing. Thank you!
VermontVampyre (2 stories) (64 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2021-03-23)
Aros I never had a hand grab mine but I know the fear of dangling body parts over the abyss as well.

As to the house being potentially haunted. You say it was family built and family owned. So unlikely to be previous homeowners of the house. However have you looked into previous owners on the LAND? Or any deaths on/near the property in the years before the home was built?

Spirits can be attacted to the land just as much as they are to the existing structures on the land. Before there were homes in your area there were Natives. Who knows how many lived, farmed, and hunted on that exact stretch of land. Also your family's home could have been built on a piece of land that was originally part of a much bigger property. So researching the history of the land could help you discern who the shadow people may have been.
Aros (6 stories) (57 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2021-03-23)
Thank you Melda I will be sure to read your experiences! I too believe the hand was from a friendly entity/guide of some sort but at the moment as can be imagined it was terrifying. I also feel I have blocked out a lot of experiences. I've thought about trying regression hypnosis but you know the saying, "Be careful what you wish for."
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+5
3 years ago (2021-03-23)
Aros - That is so frightening for a child.

I can empathise with you because I had some very scary experiences in my childhood home. I come from a large family and they all used to say "what can we do about Denise, she has such terrible nightmares", besides which I used to scare the living daylights out of them during my midnight and early morning screams of terror.

The entity taking hold of your hand was probably a kind, comforting gesture but obviously at your age and with all the other terrifying events, you wouldn't have seen it in that light.

If you're interesting in glancing at my experiences they are on my profile page "Pulled out my eyebrows in terror" plus one other.

So, I KNOW how terrifying your bedtime was as a child. 😨

Regards, Melda
Aros (6 stories) (57 posts)
+1
3 years ago (2021-03-22)
Hi Rajine, yes seeing the shadow beings was very frightening indeed and I recall several instances I was crying, scared out of my mind to the point my parents thought there was something wrong with me.

The house was built in the 60's by family. We were the original owners of the home throughout the 70's and 80's. As I got older I don't recall any specific incidents but I think it's because I became less sensitive to spirits by my teens.
Rajine (14 stories) (734 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2021-03-22)
Hi Aros

I have also experienced shadow entities, u thought I was going of my mind fortunately the one time it happened my mum and aunt was with me and saw it as well

My guess with your childhood experiences, it could be random passing spirits, have you researched the history of that house? You might find answers.

I myself do not let my arms or legs stick out of my bed when I lay down.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: