You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Dark Shadows In My Room

Real Ghost Stories

Dark Shadows In My Room

 

This happened to me when I was about 9-10 years old. We lived in a little 2 bedroom house which none of my family members had ever encountered anything in. The house is not haunted so to this day I still wonder what the shadows meant.

My grandpa had passed away to cancer two years earlier at the time. He wasn't always around but during the few weeks that he was dying, he came around often and tried to make up for all the lost times with us. When he finally went, me and my sister cried out eyes out.

The night that the shadows came to visit me, we just got back from my little cousin's funeral. She died of cancer too and was only 4 years old. Me, my grandma and my sister shared a room. I slept on the edge, my grandma in the middle and my sister by the wall. That was the only way because we both wanted to sleep next to grandma. We had a big sliding door window to the backyard in our room so when the moon was full, it would cast a light into our bedroom.

I woke up that night and as I fully awoke, I saw shadows standing around our room. I couldn't see faces or clothing because they were dark. They seemed to just pose around the room like mannequins. By the big sliding door, there was a man and I could see the outline of his long trench coat. He was wearing a hat. Next to him was a lady. I could tell she was older because of the way she kind of slouched when standing. This lady was holding a little child about 4 years old on her hip. I looked to the edge of the bed where my sister's feet were and there was this kid sitting there. From the way the outline looked, the kid had really nappy hair. It came out in spikes. For some reason, I wasn't afraid. I was already in a sitting position so I reached over to try and touch the kid thinking it was my sister. Right when I called my sister's name, I looked over and saw my sister still sleeping. I started to panic so I moved back and covered myself with my blanket. It's funny because I don't remember being really scared. I fell asleep right afterward like it was nothing.

When I saw the shadows, the man in the hat clearly resembled my grandpa. He always wore his favorite tan long trench coat and his favorite hat. The little child the lady was carrying on her hip must have been my little cousin who had died of cancer at the time. These are the two shadows I could tell were family members but I don't know who the lady and the other kid was. To this day, I still wonder who they might have been.

The next day I told my grandma about what I had seen. She said it was nothing and that I had dreamt it. I then told my mom and she said sometimes when they (ghosts) know that you've seen them, they'll put a spell on you so you won't be afraid of them. That kind of explained why I wasn't afraid when I saw them but I still want to know what they were doing in the room. They didn't try to attack me so now as I think about it, maybe they just wanted to pay a visit.

After that night, I only encountered one more scary incident and then we moved out of that house. My parents figured we needed a bigger house since I started having more siblings. Now I'm 24 and some days when I happen to drive past that house, I still think of the shadows I had seen.

Next time, I will tell about the other scary incident I had right before we moved out of that house. I'm now traumatized after it.

Other hauntings by hmg_ladi

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, hmg_ladi, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

zygen23 (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-11)
Mysterious shadows-----3rd of my most feared paranormal incidents... I caught one of these things when I was second year high school; not a shadow form but a black smoke form... It rises and disappears on a fading way... For me, in my theory, they can be found on slightly-used rooms; they appear when you're alone or with a companion... Holy water can drive these things away...somehow...but I believe... With regards to your "slumber party", ghostly shadows sometime appear at umbra (full moon)...
DCinAZ (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-11)
I like what jazzeyjay has to say, it is such a sweet memory when thought of in this way, and makes so much sense. It feels RIGHT, you know. I don't know if they put a spell on you so you wouldn't be scared, being family they may not need to, but I CAN imagine saying the same if it made my child understand it better. It's a very comforting story, thank you for sharing it. 😊 ❤
jazzeyjay (3 stories) (215 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2010-11-09)
Sounds like family members who crossed over to assist with your little cousin's transition over to the other side. Remember, we are born into this world alone, but no one is ever alone when they pass away. These people just sound like family stopping by to check on you all to make sure all was well before crossing back over. When our loved ones pass on, they come back to check on us and make sure we are well. They don't want us back here depressed and in a deep mourning. They do want us to be happy, not forget about them, but be happy. I'm sure your young cousin was one of these people in the room as well.
Thank you for your story.
hmg_ladi (2 stories) (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-09)
Thanks Anne. I'm glad they didn't try to harm me or scare me. I was a child, I would've freaked out...lol. But hope to hear your experience soon. It's always nice to hear related stories. Maybe you are right. They just wanted to pay a visit before leaving. Me and my sister was very sad when my grandpa left so fortunately, I got to see him one last time.
anne_k92 (4 stories) (31 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-09)
the lady and the spike hair kid might be your other relative... And they come there to visit you before moving on to next world... Its a bit freaky that you can't figure out their face but its kind of sweet at the same time. I got the same experience couple of months ago. I'll tell the story next time. Hope you all the best. Anne

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: