You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Last Laugh

Real Ghost Stories

The Last Laugh

 

In the summer of 2008 my husband Patrick and I were invited to a friend's house for a barbeque on Staten Island, NY. The house was a new development on a cul-de-sac. The land was all forest before it was purchased and constructed into a quaint little community. All the houses were identical in structure and connected to together with an attached apartment downstairs for renting.

The house was still newly built and our friend barely had enough furniture to fill up all the rooms. My husband and I were offered one of the bedrooms upstairs so we could enjoy ourselves at the barbeque and not have to worry about driving home late at night.

As we were sitting around eating and enjoying the day, my friend began telling us about a woman who lives across the street (let's call her Jane) and how she swears that she is in a relationship with the spirit of a man. She went on to say that Jane believes he was a fireman who died in the line of duty, but the weird part is he didn't live anywhere near the area and she didn't know him when he was alive. Jane claims that he just showed up in her apartment one night and never left. My friend went on to tell us that Jane constantly talks about him like he is her boyfriend, and that the relationship is real. Well of course everybody expressed their disbelief and some claimed she was crazy, and just desperate for attention. I didn't add any comments of my own because I never met the woman, and to be honest I really didn't know what to think let alone say anything about her. So I just sat there listening to them joke and laugh about their neighbor.

Later on that night when the party started to wind down and the last of the guests went home we all decided it was time to turn in. My husband was in the living room watching TV and our friend said good night and headed up to bed. I grabbed my bag and told Patrick that I was going up to change and get ready for bed. He said that he would be up in a few minutes because he wanted to watch the end of some movie. So I went up, changed, and settled down into bed.

A little while later I was woken up by the sound of footsteps coming into the room. I was lying on my side with my back to the bedroom door and thought that Pat finally decided to come up to bed. I heard the footsteps come right up to the side of me. I then felt two hands press down on my hip and start shaking me back and forth. While I was being shook I heard a high pitched giggling. It sounded like the kind of giggle a clown would make. So now I'm thinking great, it's the middle of the night my husband is drunk and going to wake up the whole house. So with me still lying in the same position I opened my eyes. The room was dark and I could barely see a thing. Without bothering to turn towards my husband, I just said in an annoyed tone "Patrick, cut it out and get in the bed alright" The shaking and giggling stopped, I heard him turn away and walk back out the door. I figured he was going to the bathroom, and I must have fallen asleep because the next time I opened my eyes it was morning.

My husband wasn't in the bed so I thought he got up early and wanted to get on the road before the traffic. I got up, went down stairs and there was Patrick sound asleep on the couch. I woke him up and asked him why he came back down stairs to sleep on the couch when we had the bed. He had no idea what I was talking about and told me that he never came upstairs and must have fallen asleep watching TV. I said "yes you did, don't you remember walking into the bedroom shaking me and giggling like a circus clown?" Well he looked at me like I had two heads and said "Jenn I'm telling you I never came upstairs last night" So I started to think well if it wasn't Pat then... Uh oh! My thoughts immediately went to my friend's neighbor and what was told to me the night before.

When my friend came downstairs she asked me how I slept. I told her I slept well accept for the fact that I think her neighbor's boyfriend came to visit me. She replied "WHAT"? I told my husband and friend what happened and that it seems Jane was telling the truth. This spirit probably didn't appreciate all the laughing and joking around and decided that he was going to get the last laugh. My friend's face was priceless, and Pat just stood there shaking his head insisting that I was dreaming, but I know I wasn't.

My friend never had any experiences in the house and still doesn't. She doesn't talk about Jane anymore either. We have been to the house several times after my experience and spent the night, but nothing else ever happened. I did end up meeting Jane once. I just smiled and made polite conversation with her.

Thank you for reading

Other hauntings by cosmogal926

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, cosmogal926, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-10)
Hi red, and thanks so much for the comment. 😊 Every time I think about what happened it gives me the chills and I can't help but wonder what I would have seen if I did turn around. 😲 I don't know why he chose me to make his point. Maybe he thought I was an easy target because I was alone in the room. My fearless husband was snoring on the couch downstairs. LOL! πŸ˜†
reddysteady (5 stories) (95 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-08)
Ha! What a fantastically written story Cosmogal! I love your writing style, it's spot on - thank you!

This story made me giggle a little bit - "Oh, no you didn't!" at its height. The thought of "Jane"'s 'boyfriend' coming to show you all a lesson for picking on her is perfect - although, I think it was quite rude of him to pick on the one person that didn't say a word about the lady! πŸ˜‰ Thank you for sharing!

Love and light,
Red
ChrisNuut (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-30)
Hi Cosmogal,

Thanks for sharing all the great stories! I would love the opportunity to talk with you about them. If interested, please email me at ghostdocnyc [at] gmail.com.

Thanks!
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-27)
NpNpoisoN, you may be right. It could be an incubus. I guess I never really thought of it because she described him as a man who was a fire fighter. Jane could have made that story up just to ease her own mind so she can deal with what was happening to her. Thanks for your comment. 😊
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-27)
geetha, good questions. I have no idea why Jane would have wanted to have a spirit for a boyfriend. I don't really know much about her accept for what my friend had told me. I met Jane once after I had the experience, and she seemed like a nice person. I didn't mention anything to her about it of course because I didn't want to get another visit from "him" My friend said that Jane would always speak as if he was alive and she didn't want him to leave. I honestly don't know what would happen if she ever tried to make him leave.
NpN4poisoN (2 stories) (36 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-27)
Lol... Jane's Boyfriend did take the joke rather seriously to come and prove it to you... If Jane indeed has this boyfriend then the chances are that it could be an Incubus. She should be careful as they can ruin lives if interfered with their liking. But it could be a good spirit then let them chill... Would post on your other stories too. 😊
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-26)
I guess the spirit made his point. But I got two question though. (1) Why in the world would you want a relationship with a spirit? I would think there would be plenty of enough living guys around! (2) Don't you think it's safe? What if you wanted to break up with this spirit? He probably do something to make you go crazy!
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-26)
Hi geetha, and thank you for the comment. Once I realized that it wasn't my husband I got such a chill that I couldn't shake it off for a while. I could have sworn that it was Pat shaking and giggling, that's why I spoke the way I did. We did go back, but I never slept in that room again. My friend ended up having another baby and she made that her son's room. She never mentioned anything else ever happening after that. 😊
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-26)
OMG...Why had I not read your stories before. I busted out laughing when I read your story. Your story just goes to show that you have to be careful of what you are saying. I probably would have peed my pants when that happened let along return to the friend's house.

Drunk loonies? We do get crazy in here... I guess you have to be when dealing with the paranormal! πŸ˜†
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-24)
That is true granny. Our little movie will have multiple alternate endings on disc 2 of the dvd. LMAO! πŸ˜† ❀
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2010-11-24)
Cosmo: just like all the other scarey movies out now, we have to have several "alternate endings" LMAO! πŸ˜† πŸ˜† ❀
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2010-11-23)
Wait wait wait! Mickey is still stuck on the glue trap and Chucky is tied up with Dr. Frankenstein. Ok so after all the loonies make their escape in the LM with exploding zombies and excessive growth of plant life sprouting up all around them. Dr. Franks and Chucky struggle to get free. Chucky successfully wriggles out a swiss army knife and starts cutting at the ropes. Once free Dr. Franks knowing that he has been foiled by Super Granny Nanny and the loonies runs to the computer and sets the countdown for t-10 seconds. Chucky looks at Dr. Franks sideways πŸ˜• "What are you doing"? He asks. "We need to get off this planet!" Dr. Franks cries 😭 All of a sudden music starts blasting out of the lab, it's... "The Time Warp" from Rocky Horror... As the timer counts down... 5 4 3 2 1 BOOM! A deafening roar fills the air, the earth quakes and the LM swerves... Aussie and Darkness spill their beer... Both yell out... HEY What the? The back door of the van swings open all the loonies look out and watch as the Dr. Franks lab takes off into the night. As they pass over a spot near the woods a bright light shoots down and beams up a still squealing Mickey attached to giant glue trap. As the ship/lab takes off into space the loonies in perfect Choreography start doing the time warp. The end...
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-23)
DC discovers that Dr. Frankenstien stole her formula for the serum and is mass producing it... He has TONS of it hidden in the basement of the lab...

Meanwhile, the Loonies run out of gas in the LM on the way to the store, and walk 3 miles to the next building: THE LAB!...They find Dr. Frank tied up and gagged by Darkness and DC... Having no fuel at the lab, DC suggests the use of the serum, they grab all the containers they possibly can and fill the LM with it, AND IT WORKS!...

Loonie minds still bent on having Twinkies (and now pizza πŸ˜†) they continue their trek to the nearest 711... Passing a few Zombies on the way, Aussie notices that their heads are exploding as the LM passes them... The fumes from the exhaust are killing them!...Cosmo also notices that all the plant life they pass IS GROWING!...

Twinkies, milk, chips, and pizza having been consumed, WB calls the president (she reads cards for the first lady) and informs him that DC has discovered the serum/zombie killing/fertilizing/fuel, and he makes everybody use it in their vehicles and planes and such...

All the Zombies drop dead, the planet is rejuvinated, Obama's popularity soars, and the Loonies got their Twinkies AND saved the planet!... πŸ˜†

meanwhile back at the cabin, Chucky and Mickey are still arguing over who's the boss, and the drop bears have died from boredom...

IS THIS THE END? DUN DUN DUUUUUNNNNNNNN
DCinAZ (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-23)
Back up boys! DC is back in town and here to say that until we come to a completely rediculous ending for this movie you are all ordered to stay after school!
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-23)
Yeh mate it is looking like it hahaha ideas are dwindling but as you said there will always be time for a cold one champ! Cheers to that! πŸ˜†
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-23)
Cheers mate (lmao)...I think we are at the end of the movie...I'm not sure how it finishes but I could see you and me having a cold one or two...cheers. πŸ˜†
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2010-11-21)
Ahahaha geez I missed a whole page lmao. Whilst meeting DC in the lab and still off my face, I happened to stumble upon a hidden storage closet where I find my Nimbus 5000 broom and a new wand. I yell to DC quick jump on and we blast off to meet up with all the other loonies, hoping in the back of my head that Daz didn't drink all the beers, but who was I kidding! πŸ˜†
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-20)
LMAO...D.C. You are now my sisterπŸ˜† love it... The mournful tune was coming from the other sister Miracles... Who had the rest of the loonies so medicated, that they were even applauding her rendition of the yellow brick road in a state of drug induce medication... And miracles was growing in confidence by the minute... So of key was her rendition... The resident ghost decided to pack up and move south for the winter... πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
DCinAZ (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-20)
She backs up to let Darkmess crawl through the small door into the hallway. As they stand up and look around for another way out they hear a strange music float through the air... They realise it's getting closer and quietly move in the direction of the mournful tune
DCinAZ (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-20)
Darkness raises his finger to his lips,"shhhh" DC, still quite high, almost blows their cover when she suddenly came down with a mean case of the hiccups...
DCinAZ (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-20)
For some reason DC thought she had found a cave and went in thinking she would find Granny Nanny inside. Surprised to find another hallway at th end with a small door dug out of the loose bricks and mortar. DC kneels down to take a peek and nearly bumps heads with Darkness...
DCinAZ (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-20)
As DC attempts to maintain, she stumbles into a hidden door in the wall of the lab. The door slams shut and DC thinks that is hilarious and starts to giggle uncontrolably. Dr. Frank returns to the lab with a sedated Chucky and finds that his lab assistant has disappeared.
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-20)
As Nurse Cosmo...DrBadjuu...Miracles and the rest of the loonies including shini... Who I hope is still with us... Are dancing at the bottom of the Hill, Miracles suddenly breaks away skipping up the hill following the rainbow and singing in z flat... Where of to see the wizard the wonderful wizard of oz... The rest of the loonies decided to reluctantly follow her... But miracles is throwing meds out of her hand bag luck plucking flowers and the temptation to follow is to strong...
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-19)
DR Frankenstein)... (D.C...your late... (D.C...sorry doc had a little car accident...DR)...right...now did you follow my plan?...did all the loonies eat the formulated brownies I made... Laced with truth syrup and a strong does of Valium... (D.C...yeeeessss DR I didddddd... As she slowly wipes her mouth... (DR...GOOD!...NOW quickly chuckie will be here soon and it begins... The transformation must be efficient and swift... As D.C...stumbles around the lab... Seeing double vision and High as a kite... πŸ˜†
DCinAZ (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-19)
At this point DC escapes out the rear door, runs up the hill toward Dr franks lab "I'm late again! HE'S GONNA KILL ME1 Not noticing the loonies have begun to dance uncontrolably. What's that song? She thinks as she runs up the hill. Now I'll never be able to get it out of my head!
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-19)
While the rest of the loonies keep talking about chips and brownies... Detective Daz looks into an empty esky with no beer and screams... Not like the last time in the pitch of a sissy IN a girls blowse, but in the roar of a grizzly bear NOOOOOOOO!... So loud in fact... That the next door neighbor to the cabin in the woods... Mr Mel gibson comes out and screams twice as loud back at him...STFU...25000 PER LOONIE was the bounty on each head and detective Daz considered turning himself in just to get away from this story πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-19)
Meanwhile, back at the cabin, the drop bears have returned... One gets out his i-phone and writes a story on YGS!... πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2010-11-19)
but the message from the "Emergency Broadcast System" hasn't reached anyone, because everybody's been attacked by zombies!

DUN DUN DUUUNNNNNNN πŸ˜†
DCinAZ (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-19)
News Flash ditditditditdatdatdotdit Attention! Attention! This is a message from your emergency broadcast system! Attention! Be on the lookout for a gang of loonies! These are dangerous and considered armed to the teeth! Do not approach! Get to nearest phone and call the authorities! Repeat! Do not approach! We now return you to your regulerly schedueled program
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+3
13 years ago (2010-11-19)
After hearing the blood curdling scream of Mickey, and eating their fill of Skittles, and pumping DC full of questions about the brownies, the Loonies try to decide what exactly it could have been that made such an ugly sound... Was it the chupacabra?...Dr. BadJuuJuu says no, wrong part of the country... Was it Big Foot?...No, too high pitched... Was it Lucky?...They all agree it must have been, since leprechauns do live at the end of the rainbow!...Nurse Cosmo gets the bright idea to go find him and steal his pot of peyote, and then find more brownies... And some chips... AND TWINKIES! πŸ˜†

They forget about the sound and all load up into the LM headed for the store! πŸ˜†

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: