You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Scariest Sound I've Ever Heard

Real Ghost Stories

Scariest Sound I've Ever Heard

 

I am originally from Connecticut and only have a few friends there that I still visit. One in particular, Steve, and I make a point to hang out whenever I come home to go on, what we call, our ghost rides. We are both very interested in anything paranormal and it seems something creepy always ends up happening when we're together... This was the scariest.

To back up this story I have to tell part of the story of the house on Lindley St. In Bridgeport, CT. Anyone who has grown up in the area knows about it. Apparently, a few decades or so ago, the house was possessed by an evil entity. The stories about the house were quite eccentric and included levitating objects, talking animals and the possession of the family's daughter. This story in particular received more attention because 1. The Warrens investigated it and 2. Respected Police Chiefs and Fire Chiefs were quoted in the paper about the horrendous things they experienced. Like the Amityville house, many believed it to be a hoax, but regardless the story stuck. Lindley Street is like any other street with old, small houses lining it, except now an apartment building stands in place of this particular old house.

Steve and his mother were accustomed to the paranormal. Steve grew up in a very haunted house and has seen full bodied apparitions to dark shadows. His mother also has experienced everything paranormal and told us a story of her experience on Lindley Street in Bridgeport. She had gone to a party with Steve's Dad when she was younger and the party was about a block from the infamous house on Lindley Street. This was obviously before it was torn down. Steve's mother, Steve's dad and a friend walked the street and Steve's mother claims that as they passed the house the door was wide open. She was shocked as it was October/November and quite cold out... Not to mention no one lived there anymore. She claims to have seen two red eyes in the doorframe and became quite frightened. The two men passed it off to anything they possibly could. Ultimately they decided it was a prank, when the door slammed shut. It startled her and she never did believe them that it was a prank or reflecting lights, or whatever.

I was home one weekend and Steve and I left a friend's house to go on a drive (a ghost ride). This usually entailed us driving around sharing scary stories. We were on a dark road and he was telling me about his mother's encounter on Lindley Street. I was getting spooked and for his finale he decided to phone his mother, put her on speaker phone and have her tell us the story herself. He did and she told the story just as Steve had said, and just as I had stated above. She began telling us the history of the house when the family had lived there when all of a sudden the entire car shook with such a loud, deep yell/horn/groan. It's impossible to explain without anyone actually hearing it but tears formed in my eyes. I'm pretty skeptical when it comes to stories like these, but this sound was truly evil and truly terrifying. It was as if it was everywhere at once. Outside and inside the car, in our ears, in our heads, everywhere. And then just like that it stopped.

Steve was silent as his mother continued speaking. In a shaky voice he told her he needed to call her back. He pulled over and we just looked at each other. We had both heard it, but couldn't explain it. It was the middle of the night and although we tried to put a familiar noise to what it could have been, we simply couldn't.

We called his mom back to explain what happened when she gave us the ol' "when you speak or think about something enough, it eventually comes to you". We decided not to speak about it again. Of course no one believed us, or could fully understand the impact it had. I'm still unsure as to what it was, or if it was the cause of us dabbling in the paranormal too much or often, but regardless it still gives me chills thinking about it.

Other hauntings by Elephante81

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Connecticut

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Elephante81, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

meow3 (23 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-03)
Wow! That's sure scary! 😲 I'd love to hear what it sounded like.
ghosthunt2012 (5 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-06-16)
Um not to frighten you nut if you have actually investigated you might have attached a spirit to you
: (hang in there and keep investigating:)
Pete16 (2 stories) (49 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-31)
Elephant81 I enjoy your stories! You remind me of myself--always interested in and thrilled by ghost stories, but pretty hesitant or inexperienced in personal scares. I went to college in a tiny, tiny city in South Carolina where my RA would gather us into the lobby during Halloween and tell us hours worth of ghost stories about the school and surrounding areas. I've had a few little experiences myself, but like you, I'm not 100% sure if they are paranormal or simply unexplained. Thanks for being a genuine reader and contributor as opposed to someone I am way too skeptical of or someone working on a middle school writing project--members like you are the ones that keep me reading.
Elephante81 (2 stories) (59 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-23)
I never stopped looking into the paranormal 😁 but thanks DARKNESS for the responses. Similar instances happened to me in college. We researched so much that little things began to happen to each of us. I definitely believe that can happen.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-22)
Its well known when you try to open yourself more to the paranormal and study it fanatically you are becoming more and more sensitive to be able to receive these type of experiences. This happens a lot to people who think they can deal with these things but once they actually experience this stuff for themselves it scares them so much they do exactly what you guys did, never speak of it again or stop looking into the paranormal all together.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
jaydeRey (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-22)
I also believe that if you think too much or get too into something, whatever it is can appear to you or follow you. Sometimes even when I'm on this site reading ghost stories, freaky things will happen like I'll feel someone in the room with me or I'll hear creepy sounds and get get strange feelings.
Elephante81 (2 stories) (59 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-22)
Thanks for the feedback Rook! 😁 I'll check your story out! I wasn't really looking for an answer as I can't see that there could be one. It was just one of those "too weird to be a coincidence" moments! I'd love to hear if anyone had a similar experience though
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-22)
A good story well told...

I am not sure what you heard that night, but I can sympathize and even empathize with your friend's mothers story about the old house on Lindley St. My wife and I had a similar experience with an old house in Newport RI... (please see 'Chase House' by... Well me lol)

Are you seeking an answer for what you experienced or just wanting to share this experience?

Respectfully,

Rook

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: