You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: The Black Dog With Red Eyes

Real Ghost Stories

The Black Dog With Red Eyes

 

When I was between 10-11 years old my family was going through an extremely rough patch. My parents were breaking up and life really wasn't a happy time for anyone. I remember the last night my parents were together a terrible fight broke out, pots were thrown, screams and cries echoed through the house and what seemed like the longest night of my life at the time had settled in. I walked into the room that my parents were fighting in crying and begging them to stop, they did and after some cuddles and stuff we all went to bed.

The next morning I remember it was a bright day, sunlight streaming through the window in front of my bunk bed which was shared by me and my older sister. I woke up alone I believe my sister was asleep at the time as she didn't see what I saw, but as my head raised I looked to my left towards the window. Standing not 30cm from my face was the face of a big black wolf like dog with glowing red eyes. We stared at each other for a good 5 seconds or so before I got too scared and shoved my face down into my pillow wishing for it leave me. At the time it scared the shiat out of me. However the more I look in to it the less scared I become. I relate myself to a dog quite a bit too... I used to pretend to be a dog when I was younger, they are my favourite animals.

The black dog with red eyes and fiery breath has been listed throughout the world in folklore tales, mythology, spiritual beliefs and reports. Generally it's related to death, either Cerberus the guard of the underworld, or the hound of baskavilles or Anubis the Egyptian god. (Or Satan if you speak to Christians... /sigh) and it may very well do but then it may also represent a death maybe not a physical death.

The night before I saw the dog was the last night my parents were together. Ever since I has been fascinated with the origin of sighting. I'm not sure what all of this is worth, but I'd love to know if more people have seen this dog or know more about it. I'll end with this: I am reminded by this quote I once heard (not sure where from), but it seems to ring true in so many terms.

"That which we fear as a child, we find comfort in as we grow older."

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, RufusMador, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

WolfOfTheNight (1 posts)
 
4 years ago (2020-03-31)
I can say. Around midnight about two weeks ago, I woke up sensing another presence in my room. I got out of bed and found a black wolf sitting next to the door. I stood about a foot from it and we just stared at each other. It was actually the same size as me just by sitting. The eyes are something that I can't forget though... Ruby red eyes that almost glowed. I'm pretty sure that was probably due to the light from the porch shining through my window. Even so, the wolf showed no sign of wanting to harm me in its features. It only have me a protected feeling, almost assuring in a way.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-29)
Mc18, when the submissions page is up, please submit this as a story. You're more likely to get feedback by submitting your own than by commenting on someone else's.
Mc18 (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-29)
At around 3-6 I used to see a lot of strange things going on at an old house that I used to live in. All types of crazy things seemed normal since I was too young to understand. But the most scariest was the dogs with red eyes. I had shared a room with my parents and my bed was at the corner of the room. One night, and I can't make this up, it was as if I was watching the room from the top corner of the ceiling. I had an entire view of the room. Where my parents bed was were two big, black dogs with red eyes chained to their bed and my parents weren't there anymore. It was the most scariest thing I had ever seen. I was unable to move and my body felt heavy and paralyzed completely. Both dogs would slowly try to get to my bed but they were never able to get to me. They stopped right before my bed always. I'm not sure if this was in the same night or not but then I was actually seeing those dogs right in front of me. I just remember sitting up from my bed and I still couldn't move... There was such a weight on me and I just looked at those dogs. They were never able to completely get to me. I keep trying to find out what it meant because I know for a fact that it was REAL. There's no way that I could've made something up like this as a little kid when I had no idea such things existed like ghosts or anything in that sense. What I experienced was different than other people. Those dogs showed up in my bedroom. It wasn't like they were following me around in a public place. It was in my own room at night and until this day if I ever see a picture of what those dogs look like I get so scared. I tried to say my experience here hoping that maybe someone can explain it to me. No, I'm not making anything up. There has to be a reason why I saw them and why I have such a great amount of fear if I see them. If anyone knows anything, please reach out. I haven't seen them since but it still haunts me.
Monyels (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-27)
When I was about 9 years old we lived in an apartment. We had a spare room that had no windows and was always dark even with the lights on. We used to keep all of our toys in there and a bed but it wasn't our bedroom it was our toy rom. One day we decided to stay the night in there in the bed. In the middle of the night our bed was pushed. It was moved so hard my my body went all the way to the edge and my head hung off the side. I felt and heard a hot breath on my neck like a dog panting. I got scared and looked to the side and on the dark wall a saw an even darker shadow of a person and a black dog with a red eye. It went all the way to the edge of the wall and out the room door. I kicked my sister to see if she was awake to see if she had felt everything and she said was scared and she said yes she was very still and scared. This happened during a time my four year old brother was in the hospital in intensive care because he got ran over by a truck. I still wonder about this I never knew anyone saw this before. My sister didn't see the dog or man or feel the hot breath or hear the panting just felt the bed move really hard. Many bad things happened in that apartment my single mom had to have someone come and pray for our home. It helped I guess but we moved out and I've never seen the dog again. I wonder...
Ravenj (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-02)
I have also seen the black dog with red eyes. But the first time I saw him I didn't see his eyes. I was driving home from a friends house and felt something bad come over me like something was after me. And before I curve I saw this huge black dog laying in the road dead blood every where and I thought I should stop and check this dog out and see if it has tags so maybe I can tell the owner. Then something come over me and told me don't stop. So I slowly went by this huge dog dead in the road.
It hunted me all night that I left this dog behind and I felt bad. But the next morning I knew one of my friends was taking the same road really early the next morning and called her and asked if she saw blood and a dog body on the road she said no sorry there wasn't anything there. I started to wonder did I see things but I knew I didn't it was real.

I have seen the black dog's eyes lately it was coming out of the woods when I was driving by. I makes me wonder what the omen means. What will happen in my life for me seeing the black dog several times.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-08-11)
MANMUTT: That's hard to call, but I think if you've never felt threatened or fearful, you don't have anything to worry about... I haven't really researched these dogs a lot, so maybe somebody who has could give you a better answer...Question: did you have a dog as a pet, while growing up, that has passed?...
MANMUTTT630 (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-11)
ive been seeing this same/similar dog since I was little and now that I'm in my 30s its become a regular thing for me. What worries me though is since my grandmother passed and my 1st born has come along I have seenn it more and more should I be worried especially with my son due this coming october? Its never gotten close enough to touch but close enough to smell its breath so I have never seen it as a threat. Should I bother with it or let it be?
ally131 (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-05)
Hi RufusMador, about the dog... If you go onto google imagesd and type in the Black Shuck then I think this might answer the questions to your encounter 😉 best wishes ~ally131
starlightdivashena (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-26)
Oh my gosh I found the info for this dog I think it is a devil dog check this link out!

Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_dog_ (ghost)
Sambo (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-20)
ya I saw the same dog when I was six at my g mas house. Its followed me sometimes at my house to
GeminiGoat (22 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-18)
I Think Your Quoet could be true for some things. Maybe it was a spirit that took a threatening appearance on purpose to teach you not to be afraid of things or situations in life that seem scary. It tore you up how your parents would fight and it can be very deppressing. I can relate, I too used to beg my parents for peace. You said the longer you were in its presence the less afraid you were. How would you feel if it came back in the exact same form sometime in the future. You know better than anyone else what its intentions are.
Grimm-Reaper24 (1 stories) (31 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-17)
i've got a ghost dog in my apartment, every now and then my apartment smells like really wet dog. But I too have seen a massive black wolf like dog, with glowing eyes. Only every time I saw it, it had blood dripping out of its mouth and it was just watching me like it was going to eat me.
envolga (1 stories) (24 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-09)
Im not surprised by any of this I have been hounded by spirits nearly my whole like this could have a connection with the demonic world or it could be an ordinary dog that didn't cross over. Then again it could have been and oman. The oman is what I got from it.
Bekkiboo (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-06)
I think your storey is very interesting, I had a grate uncle who was always having paranomal experiences and claims that a big black dog followed him home one night... But he said when he got to the lane of his house it was no longer a dog but something he found undescribable! He could never quite explain its apperiance because he said it was like noting hed eve seen before and obviously it wasn't very nice other wise he wouldn't have ran home! 😨
yamazaki (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-02)
That was an interesting story. I thought I saw something similar as a kid, lying in my hallway, but I don't really remember anymore - it also could have been my dog that passed away a little before that (being a big, black lab-cross).
As for information on this dog - if it's not the spirit of an actual dog - it reminds me a lot of the Black Shuck (among many other names) from the UK. I had a real interest in them when I was younger. Maybe researching that might yield some explanation about the dog?
AliciaAndMarisa (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-29)
Im pretty sure that dog might have been a hell hound... You can't really know for sure unless you had gone outside to where the dog had been standing. It wouldve felt hot and/or the grass was parched.
I wouldn't say its anything to worry about though unless you see it two more times because that means death. (Im not trying to scare you) Hope this helped alittle -Alicia
Zorforler (1 stories) (55 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-04)
So it's either a guardian or a manifestation of evil and anger.
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-29)
You used to pretend to be a dog as a child. You can relate to the canine...
I am really NOT seeing this as a Harbinger of Death.
I am seeing this as a Comforter. The night previous, your parents were in a huge fight, and the marriage ended shortly thereafter (so sorry to hear that).
I personally do not think it was there to freak you out. I think it was there to SUPPORT you.
Thank you.
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-29)
I myself don't find that quote to be true. I feared the pain and suffering, not to mention the fear one would experience by death by alligator, and I also feared the same thing given an attack by a hungry great white shark. I still believe that to be true and find no comfort in it what so ever. The fact that the last night your parents spent together, I'm sure you realize, has a lot to do with the importance you give to the sighting of the large canine. And on the dogs behalf, I'm sure he had just knocked down a few to many with a few of the neighbor hood mutts and was trying to sneak back home without waking the wifey, she could probably be a real b****!
DCinAZ (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2010-11-29)
I'm with JarMan on this, Zishu you need to get a new hobby, your fantasyland is just too far out there for this site, go play elsewhere.
JarMan (guest)
+3
13 years ago (2010-11-28)
ZiShu, get out of here with your role playing and your wild claims, this site doesn't need them.
ZiShu (281 posts)
-3
13 years ago (2010-11-28)
This is just a demon soldier dog. Actually possibly just a demon soldier. Because dogs are the easiest form they can take for some reason. I see them all the time, and have fought them all the time in the spirit world. A "friend" use to be able to command those things all the time, even against me before she switched sides.
Wolfeh (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-28)
Interesting... A rather perplexing story.
I just moved into a house in July. At first I loved it and felt safe.
A couple weeks later I started sensing a presence, hearing what sounded like my dog running across my room, and from the corner of my eye one night, seen a dark black dog like shape running from the corner of the wall to behind my dresser.
After that weird things started happening. I felt as if I was being watched, and a few months ago, felt a heavy shape in my bed beside me. I looked over, and seen a black dog. With red eyes. Staring at me. I stared back. It's like one of those times when you really can't do anything but stare. Then it disappeared.
I told my family and friends, but no one believed me. No one does. I was six when I first encountered the paranormal.
Recently, I've heard someone running upstairs when I was the only one home, seen a white man standing on my basement steps, and yesterday, when my dog was upstairs, she came bolting down the stairs and almost tripped over herself.
I'm sorry about your parents as well.
Happy trails,
Wolf 😆
MoonlightHunter (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-28)
I have seen black dogs with glowing eyes before, but in my case I wouldn't consider them totem animals or hellhounds. I live in a moderately sized city, so it seems plausible to me that if I see a dog at night (especially from the car) it can have an ethereal quality to it. For one, the eyes glow naturally when they reflect light (such as headlights from the car). Another thing - when it is night, it can make a brown or other darker colored coat appear black even if it isn't properly black in the light of day.

In your case, I don't know. I know some have mentioned that this was a totem animal. Maybe that is true, but the color red is usually seen as menacing rather than helpful. Maybe you have a fondness for red that changes the meaning of red eyes for you personally?
jazzeyjay (3 stories) (215 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-28)
The dog was no doubtedly your Totem animal! Do some research on Totem animals. They are just animal angels sent to protect us. This is why you relate to them and love dogs the way you do. These animals are always around and are always at our side when we need that protection.

Thanks for sharing!
Neertzy (5 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-27)
Don't believe all these stories about "hell hounds" or "Demon dogs" or "Satan". This is no applicable to your story. That is simply your animal guide or spirit, and yours (I envy you of this) is a wolf, or a dog. Since you we're going through a hard time, it was there to comfort you and to tell you you're being protected. I know it can make you nervous, especially if you don't know what it is.
Zorforler (1 stories) (55 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-27)
To Rookdygin,

I saw five in the eyes and no I'm not a ghost. If you see the same hell hound 3 time then you die. I saw 5 once at the same time. They looked like they were looking for something and when the scratched the ground or moved there paws to another location on the ground, the ground would be black and singed or charred with smoke coming from the location they stepped on. They looked up at me for a few seconds and got back with there search.
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-27)
Hmm Very Interest Story sorry about your parent My dicvorce when I was 7 or 8 until at the age 17 my father died anyway either its hell hound or My opien is the Animals Guild Sorry to spell wrong not sure how to spell Just say animals guild or whatever that spell am I try to say is When You see that animals that not other can't see can be your guild Like My Might be a cat cause I am a catlover so you like dog so you have guild also My live cat has red eyes too less creepy it don't scare me. Just my opien don't know how to spell that either lol so I once had a friend who I can't name it due to respect she did seen hell hound with two heads out there one time.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-27)
Zorforler,

A pack do you say... And how many 'Hell Hounds' were in this pack... 3, 5...10? If seeing 1 is good luck... 2 bad luck and a 3rd equals dieing soon then are we to assume you are a ghost?

I do not mean to pick on you but... Traditionaly Hell Hounds do not 'run in packs'...

Folklore also 'states' that you have to stare into the eyes of the 'hound' not just see them...

In some Scandanavian folklore they (black dogs with glowing eyes) are known to be the protectors of certian churches... Because they enjoy the tone of the bells.

Rufus,

I'm not trying to hijack your coments section... Just trying to establish that sometimes the meaning of a 'seen image' can have many different interpritations.

Respectfully,

Rook
Zorforler (1 stories) (55 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-27)
From what I know of Hell Hounds as what this creature sounds like They are messengers from the underworld and if you see it once it will give you good luck if you see it twice it will give you bad luck and if you see it 3 times then that means you will die very very soon. I have seen a pack of hell hounds once outside when I was on the schoo bus coming home. As for the things that scare us when we are children but later comfort us as we get older thing ummm I don't think it's true for me cause I saw a thing that tried to kill me and I feel no comfort.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: