You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Demons / Possessions / Exorcisms :: Possession Or Mental Illness

Real Ghost Stories

Possession Or Mental Illness

 

My sister and I have always been extremely close growing up. She and I have always had a connection that can only really be described as kindred spirits. At the age of nineteen my sister decided to join the Navy. She spent a total of nine years in the Navy. She has been out for almost two years. In September she decided to divorce her husband of five years and move back home. He agreed that it was time to part ways. We were all very excited to have her back home. My sister and I had talked of her moving in with me until she could find a place of her own and get settled in. I had an extra room. Two weeks before she was to move back home I started having very strange dreams about my mother's house.

In one dream a family member had moved into my mother's back bedroom and ended up going mad. In another, I dreamt that the room was inhabited by a "not so nice" spirit. I would also dream of the back room being engulfed in flames that never spread throughout the rest of the house. I blew it all off as dreams, besides no one ever used the back room and my mother had even gone so far as to pad lock it.

One day, I called my sister to see how the moving plans were going. She informed me that she had decided to live with our mother in order to help her out financially. All the dreams came flooding back but I dismissed them once again.

Things were going great, but I noticed my sister starting to withdraw. I thought that maybe she was overwhelmed with everything. She didn't have children and now she was being visited by five nieces and nephews on an almost daily basis. Plus, she was trying to get an out of state divorce and to top it all off, she was less than excited about being divorced and turning 30 in January. I tried to talk to her a couple of times but she always told me everything was fine.

My sister called me on December the 27th and asked me if she could come over. She then called back and asked if I would please meet her outside in her car. Alarmed, I agreed and asked if everything was ok. She said she needed to speak to me and didn't want my children to hear. I agreed and went outside. When I sat in her car she immediately became hysterical. She was crying and telling me how sorry she was and how she had done something very bad. I will admit I lost my composure to see her in such a state. She informed me that she had slept with my ex-husband. I was relieved. She had me very frightened. My first response to her was "who didn't sleep with him", which, sad to say, is the truth. I tried to calm her down and assure her that all is forgiven and that he was in the past and we needed to move on. He and I had been divorced for more than 6 years and I had moved on. I thought all was well once we had finished our discussion and she had calmed down. Not so...

The next week is almost a complete blur to my family and me. My sister has been in the VA Hospital since January the 3rd. After several tests which include blood, allergy, diabetes and many brain scans. The official diagnosis is paranoid schizophrenia. We have no family history and she has never had an "episode" before. I will try my best to explain our week of hell to you.

She still 100% believes that "we" are trying to kill her. She feels that if we don't do it personally then we will hire someone to do it for us. "We" consists of; my mother, my youngest sister, me, my two children (ages 13 and 11) and my youngest sisters oldest child (age 9). She informed us that my sisters other two children (ages 4 and 3) could not be involved because they are "innocent". For the entire week she explained to us many different ways that "we" were supposed to carry out our plan. She called everyone she knew and apologized to them and asked them to forgive her of her sins. She also has auditory hallucinations. She says she can hear people talking and telling her that "we" are out to get her and that she needs to protect herself. She also can hear two people carrying on a conversation but can't make out what they are saying.

One night while we were "babysitting" her she came running out of the back room screaming that she was being gassed and could smell sulphur. We could not smell anything in her room. She also has memory lapses. We are prepared to handle the diagnosis but a friend came by to visit and told my mother that she may have been possessed by a demon of guilt. He explained all of my sister's actions to a T and even gave the demon a name. I found this site trying to research the possibility.

Ever since she left the spiritual activity in my home has increased profoundly. So much so that my boyfriend refuses to be in my home alone and my children are also experiencing activity. None of the experiences are threatening in any way. (So far) My sister has also had experiences at the VA hospital. She and her roommate have complained of their bathroom and sink taps being turned off and on and their toilet flushing on its own. Their things are being moved around the room and being turned in opposite directions. Are we grasping for straws and just need to accept that she now has a mental illness or could there be something else going on.

I apologize for the long story and would appreciate any feedback.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, curiouslady, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

SmokeyKnight (3 stories) (193 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-14)
Never "push" religion on those in that kind of mental state. Think of it like a piece of glass with a HUGE spiderweb crack through it. The wrong touch can break that window and it'll never be fixed.

I'm not saying for you to follow this tidbit of information, it's honestly your call. Sometimes it's better to not do anything rather than try to do something. It's kind of like a mine field: you don't know where the mines are set so stay out of there because you could end up hurt. This does strike me as mental over supernatural. As I said in my last post my e-mail is ALWAYS open, especially for vets and family of the same.
brenttan (64 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-13)
Spirit possession or disturbances often manifest aa mental illness. The spirit invasions, or one's being susceptible or "open" to them, allows them to enter and cause the resultant chemical imbalances in the brain's secretions. That is why the problem should be handled in the psychiatric as well as spiritual ways. As a Christian, I would recommend diet, Bible reading, prayer, and prayers of deliverance as well as medication (not all medications are suitable for all, but it takes a trained professional's prescription to be switched to alternative medications when the prescribed one does not help or worsens the condition. I wish for you the best. It should be clear enough to all, that this is not an exclusively mental derangement, as strange paranormal goings on are happening concurrently. God bless you all.
SkysMama (1 stories) (8 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-02-11)
NEVER SAY THE NAME OF A DEMON UNLESS YOU WANT TO GO TO FULL CONFRONTATION WITH IT!
As for your sister being possessed, she might be, but she also might just have PTSD - the smelling of sulfur.
She might be on a medication that is causing her to hallucinate (this happened to one of my sisters) She calmed that the medication made her think every one wanted to kill her too.
Good luck
curiouslady (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-11)
As far as the back room is concerned, all I know is that my grandfather bought the room back in the 60's and had it added onto his home. When my grandfather passed my mother moved into the house. My mother will not discuss why the room is padlocked she just states that it's because she doesn't use the room. It is a three bedroom and the other spare room has never been locked. I asked my mother to join me in the backroom to get some items for my sister. My mother refused to even walk down the hall. She informed me that she did not want to go through my sister's things, even though we were asked to bring these personal items. My mother even put the padlock back on the door once she realized that my sister would be gone for a while. Of course I am very curious but she dodges my questions.

My sister has been on medication since she was admitted to the VA but has never complained to her doctor, counselor or myself about any metallic taste. The first meds she was on included Seroquel, Wellbutrin and Busbar. The Wellbutrin was to help her quit smoking. Then they switched the Seroquel to Abilify. She is currently on Risperdone, Wellbutrin, and Busbar. My sister has never really been a religious person and any time I bring it up she feels as if I am trying to get her to ask forgiveness because we are going to "hurt" her.

It's been a very stressful learning experience but we are taking it one day at a time. I really appreciate every ones help especially the comments from other military personal. I am convinced that her condition has nothing to do with paranormal activity, but it didn't hurt to look into other possibilities. 😊
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-02-11)
Curiouslady,

Thank you for sharing your story. Been a while since I came across a story that brings backs old memories.

I read and re-read your story and could not help but to compare a lot of your what sister is going through with patients I had worked with. All the same signs of paranoid schizophrenia. What is so sad is it is not always detectable in the early stages. Your sister has displayed a lot of the symptoms. The conversations she is hearing they are in fact conversations she is having with herself believe it or not. Almost like fighting with what's going on deep inside. The hallucinations, thinking everybody is out to harm / kill her. Things being moved around, things left on, memory lapses, these are all classic signs of paranoid schizophrenia.

Can I ask is your sister on medication and if so, how long has she been on medication. My reason for asking is some of the medications that are prescribed to schizophrenics leave a foul taste in there mouth's, sulphuric and / or metallic. The smell of sulphur, these are all classic Side-effects of the medication. Did your sister ever say she could taste sulphur or had a metallic taste in her mouth?

It would be worthwhile checking on the medication and I hope I am right in saying she is getting counselling as well. If not I would push for it, group and one to one therapy. It also sounds like her condition was detected rather late.

However, you state that a family friend said your sister was possessed with by a guilt demon. One has to ask why people end up depressed, schizophrenic, psychotic. You'll usually find it either has something to do with a childhood experience / trauma or recent events in one's life. Guilt could / is one of them. Belial: is one demon I can think of who brings about wickedness and guilt. I don't know about the demon. What I do feel is your sister given time will get better.

The activity in your own place, unfortunately circumstances allow for negativity energies to enter into one's home affecting the whole family. Have your home cleansed and blessed and most importantly have no fear, show no fear. Burning incense, sandalwood the most sacred should help to ease the heaviness and remove negative energies.

I hope your sister gets well soon. I hope everything returns to normal in your home.

All the best.

Surya
shamby (15 stories) (100 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-10)
this is a tough one. Not only tough to decide what is happening, but tough for you and your family. Best wishes to you all. Many of her symptoms align with either PTS or paranoid schizophrenia. Though, I have been told that schizophrenia tends to develop around the age of 18, and many young people get it when going of to college. Since it develops later in life that could still be it. Although possession is still an option (many people who are possessed have similar symptoms to people with schizophrenia) give your sisters treatment at the hospital time to work. Also, please clarify why the back room was locked, do some research on the home and see if it connects to your dreams.

Best of luck to you and your family
SmokeyKnight (3 stories) (193 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-10)
As a male having served in the military with females in my unit (when I was in Iraq), I can say the military and especially deployments will warp the mind. Females I think get the worst of it. I honestly think this is more medical than supernatural. My e-mail is open, feel free to drop a line.

I can see the paranoid schizophrenia idea being valid, PTSD... The works.

Was she religious before her service and fell away from her faith (whatever it may be)? If so, I would guess that bringing her back to her faith might help a little. Other than that, be there for her but don't be pushy. If it is a mental condition, you could break what's already cracked.

I was diagnosed with PTSD from my time in Iraq, I understand the horrors relieved night after night, day after day. It scars you in a way no one can ever really begin to explain. Don't give up and stay strong for her, your family, and most importantly yourself.

If it is paranormal, again I'd have to go back to her religious beliefs for guidance.
shadow_witch (65 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-10)
Hello CL... My name is Nicole, and I just had to respond to your post, because it hit very close to home.

My grandmother was a very intelligent woman, and at one time, had the highest IQ in the whole state of Tennessee. But around the age of 30, she was diagnosed with a chemical imbalance. Soon after this, she was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia.

And this is where the story gets strange...

I spent a lot of time around my grandma while I was growing up, and I could tell you stories that would CURL YOUR HAIR! Stories that you might not even believe... But I swear to you, every word I've written is true.

I experienced many ODD occurrences around her, such as:

Disembodied voices
(Either hers or my grandpa's when he wasn't even home!)

Telekenisis (moving objects by mind power-she did this with a telephone once)

Levitation (I levitated above a bed for about 2-3 seconds before slowly drifting back down)

And get this: She was struck by lightning THREE TIMES!

Now, how many people do you know who get struck even ONCE... MUCH LESS THREE TIMES?!

And the list goes on and on... My point is, very STRANGE things happened around her.

BUT...as far as the theory about her being possessed by a "Guilt Demon"...well, I just think that's a bunch of HOG WASH!

Seriously, I believe there is a scientific explanation for what's happening.

Now granted, it is a bit strange that things are happening at your house when she's not there... But perhaps it's because of all the paranoia that is being projected toward you now.

Of course, I'm not a doctor, psychiatrist, or even a paranormal researcher... But I do know what I lived through with my grandmother. And I do believe it was because she was mentally ill.

If you do some investigating on the internet, you will find that this isn't an uncommon thing.

For SOME REASON, mental illness and supernatural phenomena (in many cases) go hand in hand.

Your sister is obviously an educated woman, meaning that she probably has a lot going on in her head even when she's NOT having an episode. Add the paranoia to it, and there's just a lot of "mind power" going on there.

And one more thing I feel the need to add:

When I was around 7 years old, I had what I now consider to have been a poltergeist in my bedroom. It literally tormented me to the point that I developed an ulcer, and ended up in the hospital for two weeks.

At the time, I thought I had a demon or a very evil ghost in my room. But NOW... (after a lot of research) I believe I was actually haunting MYSELF!

What I mean by this, is that I think through my own mind power, I brought on the poltergeist activity. (This has also been proven by science-that it can and HAS happened in many cases.)

So I guess the whole point of my post here, is that the human brain is a very POWERFUL thing, and can cause actual manifestations in OUR world.

I don't believe your sister has a demon in the actual sense of the word... That is, a demon from HELL... I believe the only demons she has, are her own. Yes, she may be feeling a lot of guilt for sleeping with your ex-husband, but maybe with some counseling, she could come to terms with it, and some of the paranormal activity would stop. Seek counseling for her, and see if there is a change. Even mentally ill people can be helped through therapy.

Sorry to go on and on, but like I said in the beginning, your post hit very close to home with me. There's a lot of things I didn't even add here... But I have been in your shoes... And I can relate to what you're going through now.

If you ever need to talk, feel free to drop me a line anytime.

Good luck and God bless you! ❤

-nicole
curiouslady (1 stories) (2 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-02-10)
I thank everyone for their comments. I am very involved in my sister's medical treatment as I am aware that her illness could be caused by her military experiences. She was in Kuwait for 3 months before war was officially declared. Thankfully she didn't see any action but I'm sure just being there was stressful enough.

[at] whitebuffalo... Thank you so much... Your words touched me and brought tears to my eyes... As a civilian I now have a better understanding and would be glad to pass your e-mail along when the time is right.

I call her everyday and visit as much as she feels comfortable with. We are not allowed to bring objects with us during visitation so it is impossible to bring any religious items. I can tell that her spirit is very week at the moment and do not want her to give up. The only real thing that gets to me is her stare. It chills me to the bone and to be honest scares the mess out of me. It doesn't even feel like she is in her own body sometimes. She is on every prayer list that I know of and I have even asked a friend that practices healing to lend a hand.

My mother has had her home blessed twice now. She does not feel comfortable with the idea of "ghosts". As far as my home is concerned, it has always had spiritual activity just not to the degree and boldness that is currently happening. If I feel/see any signs of malice intent I will make sure that my home is cleansed. I just wanted to cover all my bases to make sure she is getting all the "help" she possibly can. Thank you all very much. ❤
Jitow (362 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-09)
Test the spirit. Go to her room and say Jesus rebuke yoou, under your breath or the blood of Christ rebuke you. Place your hand on her and prayer fo her to be blessed in Jesus name. Go to the catholic church and get holy water and sprinkle it on her, if you don't think she will like the sprinkle put it in a cup and tell her to take a sip of water. Buy her a nice crucifix necklace and place it on her. All this to test to see if she has an eversion to things that are Holy. The easiest way is to get clergy experienced in these matters, they do not have to be catholic. Google deliverance ministerrs and there should be one near you. Have them vist her and evaluate her without upsetting her.
hiya_hayz (5 stories) (66 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-02-09)
Hun,if it was a demon causing your sisters symptoms and the activity in your house is increasing you need to do something about it. I'm not going to say that I have experience with demons but in the stories I have heard it starts out small, then gets bigger and badder. You should have that house cleansed ASAP, before things get worse.
Good Luck, Hun. Keep us posted.
-Hayz
lynrinth (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2011-02-09)
You know, she could have PTS, which in turn, could have attracted some negative energy. They're attracted to depression, stress, hallucinations, paranoia, generally negative energy. This maybe being the case, could mean her aura is down enough, something may be influencing her... Possessing her? I don't know. Just my theory. But you did mentioned bad dreams, poltergeist-type activity, even your sister's hospital roommate said there was paranormal activity in their room. Maybe your sister's behavior could also creating the poltergeist activity. There are documented cases of people being so burden or stressed, they have created such energy. But this usual happened in young people reaching puberty. When I was depressed, I became possessed. Luckily, it was a benign spirit. However I sought out help both with a psychiatrist AND a healer. It worked. My therapist helped with the depression, and my healer help rid me the spirit, and send it on it's way. Strange, but true. But then, this worked for me. 'Help' can be different for everyone. I hope you will take everyone's advice, and see where this goes. If something else happens along the way, then all you can do is trust your gut, seek what you think is the appropricate help your sister, and hope for the best. God bless and take care
whitebuffalo (guest)
+6
13 years ago (2011-02-09)
Wow.
This is probably the most open and honest ANY one has ever seen me on this site.
Your story truly hit home with me for several reasons, one of the more "shallow" ones would be that my birthday is the date that you mentioned your sister called you.
Oh my Lawd is this hard.
Just recently I have come to terms, somewhat, with some of the things I did while serving in the Military. I actually was sent home before my enlistment was really up. Only a few months shy, but enough to prevent me from collecting some of the benefits afforded Vets. I returned home to my parents house, as I had no where else to go.
I can totally identify with everything you have described, and more. See, women in the military (and I honestly do not CARE if this is hard to believe. Instances like Tail-hook prove this to be true) have a certain stigma attached to them, no matter their rate or rank. They have to fight the "join the navy to ride the waves" ("waves" being slang for female), to knowing that many people believe they join to find a husband to people saying they will only return (if they were heterosexual) as a homosexual. They have to fight societies views, and still fight for their right to HAVE those views.
Women being more emotional beings (that is NOT in a cut down, but in a generalisation), some of the things asked of them (it is truly NOT "asked". If it comes from a Superior, it is an Order. One does NOT question an Order) tears at them. Permanently. Some of the things WILL remain for the rest of their lives.
I have SMELLED that sulfur. I have FELT that Paranoia.
And YES, children ARE suspected (after a certain age), as in REAL life, and in a different culture...
Please believe this comes from my heart. Hunny, just love her. Tell her that frequently, but SHOW her more than you say it. Let her know that she is SAFE, and no longer "there". Leave a light on, so that when she wakes, she is not in darkness. Call her by her NAME, her given one. Contact her frequently, just to say hi. Include her in decisions, no matter HOW trivial they may seem to YOU.
I was diagnosed with Depression and received both therapy and medications. After that was under control, I was diagnosed with Post Traumatic Syndrome. That was over twenty years ago, but the nightmares still come. I still wake up with my heart beating through my chest, and trying to hide or take cover. I can NOT celebrate the Fourth of July out in the open. I can NOT got to a Military funeral. I can NOT listen to Taps, or the National Anthem without breaking down.
I have learned to avoid such situations.
If she needs someone... My e-mail is on my profile. I have BEEN there. And I KNOW.
Thank you.
looney85 (3 stories) (188 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-02-09)
Wow! This is tough... But do consider the other comments here to help guide you on what else to do.
I'm a believer in possessions (hence one of my stories) some of your sister's behavior reminds me of what happen to my Aunt. I'm not going against the experts but also consider the fact that not all cases of people with illness have not been proven wrong. Wasn't that back room locked for a reason? If so, I believe that your dreams were trying to tell you something. I hope everything gets better and you should have your place blessed.
Keep us posted.
😊
Elephante81 (2 stories) (59 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-02-09)
I'm very sorry for you and your family. This is a very difficult thing to go through.
I'm just wondering why you think this is a form of possession if she has a medical diagnosis?
She seems to be displaying all the normal symptoms for paranoid schitzophrenia and although it can be insanely disturbing.
Perhaps with everything going on she harnessed some negative energy in your home causing something paranormal but separate from herself.

Good Luck with everything ❤
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+4
13 years ago (2011-02-09)
Her actions seem pretty consistent with paranoid schizophrenia. As Granny said, give her some time for the treatment to really start helping before declaring this to be demonic. It seems, to me anyway, that too many times people who are ill are called demonized and not given the kind of help they truly need. I doubt you will allow that to happen to your sister though. Fight like hell if someone tries to stop her medical and mental care. You can exorcise a demon, you can't exorcise an illness. Keep all your bases covered.
The increase in activity in your home could well be a direct result of your stress over your sister, rather than related to her current situation. I know it's easier said than done, but try to stay positive and reduce the stress in your home.
Stay strong, and keep your hope up. ❤
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+4
13 years ago (2011-02-09)
curiouslady: Geez, this is a tough one... Although I hold the belief that many people who are experiencing paranormal activity are diagnosed with mental illnesses much too often, I hate to go against the "experts"...I must ask, was your sister active in the current war?...Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome comes to mind, if so... But I'd think the doctors at the VA hospital have enough experience with that particular ailment to be able to diagnose it properly...

I would err on the side of caution, and suggest that the treatments she's getting (how is she being "treated"?) be given a chance to work...

As far as your own home, I don't know your religious beliefs, but I suggest you get your house cleansed by a reputable medium, priest or pastor...

Keep us posted... ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: