You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Demons / Possessions / Exorcisms :: Demonic Possession Or Witch Craft?

Real Ghost Stories

Demonic Possession Or Witch Craft?

 

This happened when I was around 12 years old. My mom took my siblings and I to visit her mom in her home town in Mexico during our summer break. As soon as we got there we were told not to wander close to the neighbor's house; strange things seemed to be happening there.

Apparently, the 16 year that lived across the street was possessed. My grandmother actually used the phrase 'has the devil in her'. It started with the girl (don't remember her name) hearing somebody whisper, then she claimed she was able to hear footsteps that followed her everywhere. She stopped eating, sleeping and every morning would find scratches and bruises all over her body. The priest had been called and he had blessed the house several times but it didn't seem to stop. Her parents had to send their other children to stay with grandparents because they were too scared to stay in the house with her as she was beginning to have violent/manic episodes. Some people in town said that when they walked by that house they felt uneasy and some even claimed they saw shadows and heard strange noises.

My cousins were scared to walk by there and would rather go the opposite way and walk around the block just to get to a store that was two houses down from that house. By the way, this house was across the street from my grandma and two houses to the left (two houses left of the house that was right across the street). Hope that makes sense. I'm not going to lie, I was scared too but I also had this morbid curiosity, every time we had to leave my grandma's house I looked that way and stared, don't really know what I was hoping to see.

One morning, I woke to the grown-ups talking about what had happened across the street during the night. Apparently, a big stain appeared overnight in one of the walls. A stain that looked a lot like blood. They washed the stain with soap and water and painted over where the stain was. By that evening, the stain was there again. They went to get the priest and once again cleaned the stain and prayed while the priest blessed the house and threw holy water at the wall. By morning, the stain was back. The word around town spread and people had gathered and formed prayer groups. It seemed they were praying non-stop. One group of people would leave and others would show up. All carrying rosary beads.

My cousins, siblings and I were under strict orders not to get close to that house, my grandma thought we might also get possessed or something might follow us home. Of course us being kids, we decided we wanted to go and look at this blood stain on the wall. So off we went, hiding behind other people so our grandma and mothers wouldn't see us.

There was a lot of people and not everyone fit inside the house, or they were afraid to go in, there was a lot of people just outside the entrance. As we got closer, we heard a girl yelling as if in pain, we also heard growling but I'm not sure if the girl was also making these noises. Everyone there was praying the rosary in unison but you were able to hear the girl's voice crying and asking for help. Then she would start yelling, screaming and you would hear growling. At this point, my cousins, my brother and my sister had turned back in fear. My sister grabbed my arm and tried pulling me back but I had to see for myself who was making those noises. I pushed my way inside the house and what I saw next I will never forget.

I saw a girl tied with ropes to a bannister of the house. She looked to be almost just skin and bones, I don't know what I was expecting to see but it shocked me and I gasped. For a second there it almost seemed like she heard me and turned my way, I swear she was staring straight at me and smiled. I was frozen in my spot unable to move. Then I felt someone pull me back so hard I almost lost my balance. It was my grandmother that was dragging me out of there. I don't think I ever saw her that mad, she was fit to be tied. As was the norm, I got in a lot of trouble for disobeying only this time I was really sorry that I did. I was so scared and kept seeing the girl's face and grin in my head every time I closed my eyes. I thought for sure she was going to get loose and come for me.

Days after that we headed back home to the U.S. Last I heard the girl had gotten better. No one is sure if the priest coming over and blessing the house every day or the town folk praying non-stop is what helped her but they say that a witch (brujo) was also summoned. His belief was that this was not a demonic possession but a very strong case of witchcraft/black magic. Apparently, this was done to her out of jealousy. She was very pretty and caught the eye of the wrong man. After she got better she was sent away to live with relatives in the U.S.

I don't know exactly what was wrong with her and how she got better. All I am sure of is that I saw her with my own eyes, saw the condition she was in and heard the most god-awful noises come out of her such as I've never heard before. Many years have passed, but this is something that is very clear in my memory, I still remember that face and that smile and it still scares me to this day.

Other hauntings by Haven

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Haven, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-04-16)
Witchcraft curse or possession indeed. Was it one or the other? My personal belief is that the two are related. Where does the witch get the power to curse? Who answers her call? I do not truly know. Possessions usually occur after a period of oppression - this seems to be what happened to the girl before she reputedly became possessed. If she was possessed, then I believe that it was very unlikely that a priest's blessing would have been enough. Also, if she was in fact possessed, then it is my opinion that the prayers of the faithful were more instrumental in relieving her of her distress.
Notscaryenough (1 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2020-04-08)
I wish someone can a make horror short film about this story, but not in modern scary type of horror film. Which they tried to fool pepole with the help of lot of jumpscare and so on. I want this story to be shown as first perspective view which would be more scary. 😊
Haven (20 stories) (307 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-04-08)
Hola ladyglow!

This will be the 3rd time I type a response to your comment. I don't know why but when I am going to hit preview or submit my comments disappear. Let me try again.

I don't know why this was done to her. I remember hearing that it was because of a male that wanted her attention. Not sure if he is the one who did this to her or it was another woman out of jealousy.

Also not sure what helped her. If it was the priests's blessings and prayers or the brujo.

I spoke to my mother recently and she remembers exactly what I do. To your point, she did tell me that she remembers the family being opposed to bringing the brujo in, the family being very religious and close to their catholic faith. I guess at the end they just wanted to help their daughter and tried everything.

It is so scary to know and have seen myself what harm can be done to a person.

Stay safe.
Haven (20 stories) (307 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-04-08)
Hi Spockie,

I'm sure the family tried going to the doctor first. They had to tie her up so she wouldn't hurt herself or others. If these were episodes of schizophrenia then they were temporary because she got better without medical intervention.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2020-04-08)
Hola Haven.

What a terrifying experience. It's sad to think that someone could resort to witchcraft to hurt the girl.

Do you know if this happened because the guy wanted her to "love" him or if he did it in revenge for her rejection?

It is puzzling that the activity wouldn't stop after the blessings, it's scary to think that, in some instances, religion doesn't seem to offer enough protection during trying times.
Also, I wonder if this case would have been considered suitable to ask for an exorcism.
I'm glad the priest didn't oppose to the brujo's help, in my opinion, sometimes is more effective when people from different faiths work together to solve a problem instead of fighting over whose faith is "the right one".

What unforgettable holidays!
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
+7
4 years ago (2020-04-08)
Oh, my gosh. What if that poor child was having episodes of schizophrenia? They had her tied up! Tied up! Did anybody even try to get her to a doctor for evaluation? I hope she is alright today.
Haven (20 stories) (307 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-04-07)
Hi Miandra,

So nice to hear from you again! I was a very mischievous child, curiosity always won over common sense and I was constantly in trouble and grounded - LOL.

Stay safe.
Sleeping-with-steve (guest)
+2
4 years ago (2020-04-06)
Hello Haven,

I was interested right until the last word of your post.

That poor little girl being locked up and tied to the bannister and for who knows how long. 😭

I had to smile reading how you went to investigate after being told by your relatives not to. That's so typical of a young child to do something they're told not to do, and then get into trouble when caught red-handed. Lol. 🤣

I really enjoy reading your posts. Thank you for sharing. I hope you have many more to post.

Best wishes,
SWS ❤ 😘
Haven (20 stories) (307 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-04-06)
Hi Maria,

You are right. I have a lot of memories of the paranormal but this is one of the scariest. I just spoke to my mother about this incident and it's scary to think that something like this can happen to someone. As far as she remembers, this family was good, church goers, hard working, did not have any problems with neighbors or were never in any trouble yet something like this happened to them. Very scary indeed.
Haven (20 stories) (307 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-04-06)
Hi Melda,

Yes, that poor girl went through so much. I can still remember how she looked when I saw her. Trust me, nobody can fake that. I called my mother this weekend and I asked her if she remembered that incident. She does. She remembers hearing that the stain on the wall would appear as a demonic face. It would be scrubbed and then would appear again as an upside down cross. I know, this sounds straight out of a horror film but I swear to you this really happened.
Haven (20 stories) (307 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-04-06)
Hi Alina5,

This happened many years ago. As far as I know and remember, the only person "possessed" was the young girl (between 16-18 years old) that lived in the house.

I have not watched the movie exorcist but I still remember the grin as if it were yesterday and I still get chills.

Stay safe.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-04-05)
Hi Haven,

That's a scary childhood memory to hold onto for the rest of your life. I'm sorry. I am glad that the girl is said to have recovered. I hope she is leading a happy life that is full of love - and far away from the jealousy of the small minded.

***

The blood stain interested me, as it interested you as a child:

I lived in a house in Chicopee, Massachusetts in 2008 that had blood stains on my bedroom wall that wouldn't go away. It was a problem for me in a house full of problems.

Our landlord painted over the spots with primer before we moved our stuff in - I remember smelling it. When we began moving in, I saw the stains - at the time, I was a fan of that show "Dexter" and it looked like how they showed "high velocity blood spatter"... Maybe I'm too willing to go to a dark place...

Anyway, we painted over those stains, with primer, no less than six times and they always came back in a few days. I guess it was because they were sunk deep down into the sheetrock.

- Maria
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-04-05)
Haven - What a terrible situation for that poor girl to have been in. I think incidents such as these must scar people for life.

It sounds like demonic possession to me. I know witchcraft can be extremely damaging and disruptive so I won't argue that she was not a victim of witchcraft but in my opinion this sounds like a classic case of demonic possession. I'm prepared to be swayed by other members who are more au fait with the subject of witchcraft.

I can well understand why your grandmother was angry with you for disobeying her orders. She must have been extremely concerned for the safety of her grandchildren and didn't want them to witness that horror. You know that now!

I'm happy for her that she was cured of whatever caused this devastating event in her young life.

Regards, Melda
Alina5 (3 stories) (136 posts)
+5
4 years ago (2020-04-05)
Hello Haven,

I've to admit I'm pretty scared with this one. Lately, I've been coming across a lot of stories on this site about witchcraft/black magic, demonic possession which rather than being done by a supernatural being are an outcome of the jealousy of a human. How damned this humanity is becoming!

I'm glad for your safety. But do you by any chance know exactly
Why this house is prone to these paranormal activities?
More like a demonic cult house...
Is the possession happens to everybody passing by?

Definitely resembles a house straight out of a horror movie... For a brief while as I read the grin of the girl in your story, I got chills. Remembered the scene of movie "exorcist".

Overall interesting thanks for sharing.

Peace

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: