You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Tapping Sounds

Real Ghost Stories

Tapping Sounds

 

I am 57 and retired, living in the south GA town of Douglas. For months, I have heard tapping coming from my closet. Being retired, and sometimes having back pain, I watch most of my TV in my bedroom.

The tapping comes mostly once a day, but sometimes twice. It always comes from my bedroom closet, which is nearby, with the door always open. It happens at random times, mostly in the afternoons or evenings, sometimes as late as 11:30 pm. It is always three quick taps, and sounds like wood against wood. I have imagined that is what drum sticks sound like when tapped together.

It is quite loud. I have heard it from my computer room across the hall. I have three cats, which often lie on the bed, and they always perk up and look toward the closet when it happens. It has happened at least once a day for months.

My mother died last July, and friends have suggested it is her, letting me know she is okay and cares about me. But we were not that close. In life, she never called me by phone. I had to do the calling if it was done. My late father called me frequently.

I am sure it is paranormal. No pipes in the closet. No rodents in the walls could make that sound, and I don't have rodents.

Recently, a female friend of mine from out of state came down for the funeral of a mutual friend in middle Georgia. I travelled up there and we stayed in the same motel. We had talked for six years by phone (I met her on a web site for fans of a popular bands of the 1970's through the early 2000s), and had great conversations about many things, talking for hours. This was the first time I met her in person, and yes, she sent me photos of herself, and I sent her photos of myself).

For four days, we had a great time, visiting historic sites, museums, visiting friends of mine, etc. Mostly we used my car in this, and while driving, that "tap tap tap" sound occurred once a day in the car, sounding like it was next to my left knee. The few times we used her car, it did not happen. She heard it. On her last night, we ate at a busy restaurant, and during the meal, that tapping occurred, at my left leg or knee. She heard it.

When she left, I stayed an extra day to visit good school friends, twin boys, who I have known since 1st grade. While chatting in their living room, that tapping happened next to my left thigh as I sat on their sofa. One of the boys said, "What was that?" I had not told them about the tapping before. I then explained it. They were astonished. So, the tapping is real and paranormal, no doubt about it.

Another thing, my female friend has given me gifts over the years. A couple or three years ago, she sent me a pair of drum sticks. They have sat on the top of a bookshelf in my bedroom, across the room from the closet, since then. I recently tapped them together and they sound like the tapping noises. I wonder if this is a sign.

I have had designs to marry her, long before this visit, but she always puts me off. Sometimes she has stopped calling for weeks or months, but she always calls back, and we resume our fun phone calls. She had a couple of bad marriages, and like many women, they don't trust marriage anymore. I know she is torn about that with me, as I am a well-adjusted, educated, polite person, who treats women well, and she eventually calls again and our relationship resumes.

Since she gave me these drum sticks I wonder if it is message about her. Is it warning me to not pursue her for some reason, or is it to encourage me to keep trying? After this visit and she returned home, I expressed my feelings to her, on the phone, and she was not receptive, saying she was happy living alone. The call ended without rancor, but the next day she sent me an e-mail asking me to distance myself from her. That is all I read of this short paragraph.

I believe in the old adage, "What you don't know can't hurt you?" I now have the attitude that if she is a true friend, she will call me again eventually. If not a true friend, she won't call. I am not the type to harass women, so I will not call her. She did all of the calling anyway, since her life is so busy with work and other things, and mine is not very busy, and I am almost always available to talk.

I know this forum is not about romance, but I wonder if there is a connection to my friend, since she gave me those drum sticks, and the tapping sounds exactly like them. If not, what else could it mean? I am open to any and all ideas.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Georgia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Walter, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

mamachong (11 stories) (228 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-25)
Is the three taps only when you talk to this woman, then when your not talking to her the tapping disappears? If this is your mom, then the message appears to be a strong one. Perhaps your mom would like to see you happier, and to have a family of your own one day. If you are trully happy with this woman then that's what matters. I have to agree with other posters, I am happier married to someone who is always there.
Walter (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-25)
It has been a while since I wrote about the drum stick sounds. After I last wrote, the tapping increased and to other places, such as my bathroom, the kitchen, my garage, in my yard, Wal Mart, in my truck. It got to be 30-35 times a day. I just took it as routine, as if hearing a dog barking in the neighborhood. Then suddenly about four months ago it stopped completely, and has not returned. I sort of miss it, to be honest. I never felt fear or discomfort from it.
As for the woman I had mentioned, that is not an issue now. I think that she may have emotional issues, as she did seem to lead me on, and women should know when they do that, but I guess some don't. She did call back again after months. She had been shacking with some plumber who had worked on her house, which was odd in itself, her being highly educated and wealthy from an inheritance and also owning a prosperous business. I had called one time and he told me, "She is not here, and don't call back" and hung up. When she called me again, she had kicked him out for being controlling and possessive, not wanting her to talk to anyone but him, the usual psychopathic behavior that often ends in murder, but she said he never hit her. She did not know he had put off my phone call that time. Three or four times she has told me she has looked at houses online, in my hometown to buy, but then the next time, she does not mention it. I think she has ups and downs in her emotions. She had a bad alcoholic father who drank and beat her, and ran away to Florida at age 15 and picked oranges, grapefruit, was a waitress, slept on park benches at times, even went to juvy for "vagrancy". But she contacted her wealthy grandfather and he put her through college. She is very bright. The things she remembers me saying, makes me think she has a photographic memory. I am still glad she is a good friend and calls me sometimes. We have similar intellects and senses of humor that make it a joy to talk to her.
I am not the type to pine over a woman at my age now. I don't pursue marriage if they show me they don't want it. I just forget about it. I don't understand the stalkers I see in the media. How can they think that if they stalk them enough, the woman will break down and fall in love and marry them? Never happens.
I suspect her childhood has a lot to do with her psyche due to the abuse, which is often the case. Her first marriage was to a man in organized crime who beat here and cut her throat (but not enough to threaten her life). The second was a lazy bum alcoholic who would not work but lived off her and beat her. From the media, I see that many women are attracted to mean men. It must have to do with the abuse most of them had growing up.
I made the mistake of going to my church Bishop a few weeks ago and telling him about the tapping sounds. He said I might be hearing things and said his ears sometimes ring. That was insulting, but I am a laid back guy and took it in stride. I like the true ghost shows on TV, and now I can see why some are afraid to tell anyone. They are not believed and sometimes thought to be "crazy". Some of the husbands don't believe the wife about it, and it often causes a divorce. And if the man finally hears or sees what she hears or sees, then he is convinced. But that would be hard on me if I had a spouse who seemed to think I was lying or crazy.
I also mentioned to the Bishop the women I was married to before and what monsters they were. They were out to take advantage of me, and of course it did not show up until after the marriage ceremony. This Bishop said "There are two sides to every story". That is such a prejudicial statement. There ARE some marriages where just one of the partners is the bad one and the other does nothing seriously wrong. I hate it when I hear that statement.
I have one other paranormal event that happened to me. It was November 2011. I am an early riser, though retired, and I feed my cats at 6 am. I never need an alarm clock, not even when I was employed. I was awake at 5:55 am when I heard this very loud crashing sound at my bedroom window, as if wood, glass, etc. Had come crashing down. At first I thought one of my cats had knocked something over, but it was much too loud for that. But I got up expecting to see stuff from my desk and chest of drawers all over the floor. There was nothing! Nothing out of place at all. I just stood there and stared. I was not asleep. I was not dreaming. And then I noticed the venetian blinds on the window were pulled all the way to the top of the window frame. I always have them half way up and never lower them, for my cats like to look outside, and my back yard is fenced in with woods all around and so there is little chance of a peeping tom. If I let them down, the cats will damage the blinds trying to look out. And then I noticed that the drawstring was in a horizontal position to the right, and the end of the cord was wrapped around a ceramic figurine about 5 feet away. It was wrapped around it about six times. I told the Bishop about that, and he suggested my cats had done all this. My church very much believes there are spirits, good and bad, yet he would not believe me. That was disturbing to me, but it only happened that one time.
I would appreciate any comments on this post. I do believe that some people can invite spirits into their lives with Ouija boards and seances, etc. But I know better than that. In most of the true ghost shows on TV, the families are not involved in that, either. I am still inclined to think the drum sticks were from my mother, and that the window/blind incident was from a mischievous, if not evil spirit. In some of those shows on TV, there are loud crashing sounds, but nothing is out of place when they go look in the kitchen, or the attic, or whereever the sound may have come from. On some, however, there are broken dishes and other objects, etc. Fortunately that has not happened to me.
Walter
Pippa (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-12)
Right, I know this may be unlikely, but do you think it could possibly be your bones cracking? Like your toes or knee for instance, as you said the noise was sometimes next to left leg? Just a suggestion on the non-pranormal side. 😊
scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-26)
Some women are the type that like to be alone. My mother is like that, and I am the complete opposite. I am 27 and I have been married for over 4 years, and I like being married. I can't stand being alone. It sounds like the woman you pursue is not interested in anything long term. I think you will force distance between both of you if you keep bringing up the subject. I think you should get out there a bit and just date some other women and see what happens. I wish the best luck to you, and I have no idea if the wood tapping sound has anything to do with her or not. ❤ ❤ ❤
Sporky (1 stories) (17 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-07)
Walter, my gut instinct tells me the tapping is a warning to stay away from her. Again, just what I feel. Best of luck to you and thanks for the interesting story!
I_Am_SPECTRA (1 stories) (44 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-07)
Very interesting story. I think the tapping is of a completely unknown origin, but there seems to be some sort of intelligence behind it. Another dimension perhaps. Why your lower left side I wonder? Very interesting. As for women? No idea. Just be who you are. Lifes full of ups and downs as you know. Thanks for the story, I enjoyed reading it.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-07)
Walter,
I have to agree with aussiedaz, I think it was your mom too. Especially because of the three knocks. Think about it next time you tap a friend on the shoulder or tap on the door to someone's room. It's usually thee standard three. It's funny when you start listening for it how often that will be the case. I've had the standard three raps on the wall from my mom too. Maybe it's just a mom thing, who knows?
Thanks for sharing Walter.
😊 ❤
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-07)
Hi Walter, as I started reading your story I was thinking in the back of my mind, where are the three knocks and sure enough... There are many stories here involving three knocks of some sort and I would have to say, it would be the most validated fact with in the thousands of stories submitted here at YGS... Because on most accounts the Author is awake and alert, ruling out the old imagination factor... I believe it is your mum... Even though when she was alive she didn't have much to do with you... I think she now regrets that, as humans we sometimes get hung up and stubborn with emotions and often people close to us are left hurt and feeling un loved or insecure... Then before you know it life flashes us by and we see our loved ones from a different world with a complete new perception and understanding of our purpose and faults throughout our lives... The mission in life is family and in her mind its not to late to give you that message that never came when she was alive... Your mum now knows that and would do anything to make right what was wrong between you two... Try this, next time you hear the tapping ask this... Is that you mum... If it is, tap three times... Are you here to tell me you love me... Tap three times... And other things you may want to ask... Best wishes.

Daz
lastinline (5 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-06)
Walter,

I don't know which is worse, the possible demonic intrusion or the relationship; in this day and age it can get pretty horrific in its own right.

But seriously, with the lady friend, I would let things be. Sometimes it isn't meant to be and who knows? Maybe SHE is bringing some not so great paranormal activity unknowingly.

Sorry I can't help with the knocking sitch, but I do hope the best for you with both issues.

Christina
zombiesarecommingforme (3 stories) (32 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-06)
Walter,
Keep your head up. That's probably the most important advice for both your friend and the tapping.
It may be demonic although it doesn't feel that way to you.
As for your friend, she clearly does not wish to persue a romantic relationship with you.
Has she emailed or called you yet? If not, I think it would be a good idea to email her and kindly explain how you respect her desicion (sorry about the spelling) and you would like to persue your friendship. Also make sure to tell her you now understand your limits.
I've been in the long distance relationship with a girl similar to that. It's hard, but you have to keep your head up.

Best of Luck,
❤ Belle
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-04-06)
Walter,

Sorry to say, Badjuujuu is correct. You will never find what you want unless you expand your options. If you hear from her again and all she hears from you is that you've been sitting around, pining away for her; she's going to bolt. But if she is the right one for you, and when she contacts you and finds out you have been out having fun without her, it may spark her interest.

Sunsetsphere...tapping genitals? What?

What, no cowbell?

Lou
Petersspirit (4 stories) (144 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-05)
Hello Walter,

This is a very emotional and intersting sharing! I would love to be of help but I do not realy know what to say... I did read some of the coments though, and then I can only follow in suggesting prayer. But perhaps it is just your mother trying to make contact with you? I hope for you that your friend will call you soon

Greetings,
Peter
JimD (431 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-04-05)
Hi

It does sound like demonic infestation. The three taps. Three is the calling card of the demonic. It mocks the Holy Trinity. I don't believe that events have progressed to the demonic oppression stage, yet. I don't note any manifestations of dark shadows, cold spots, growling, vivid, intrusive thoughts, fear, chaos, etc. However, I don't believe that this is a benign spirit, at all.

I counsel saying Jesus and Mary help me whenever an apparition manifests or this sound is heard, and the liberal use of Catholic Holy water, especially on the beds and at night. Easter is approaching, and normally things escalate prior to this day. Email me at Dukes2352atAOL.com, should you require further information. Good luck and God bless you.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+3
13 years ago (2011-04-05)
Not much I can say to you about the tapping noises, but I will give what I'm sure is unwanted relationship advice. Give it up.
You have made your romantic intentions clear, and she has made her lack of romantic intentions clear. Not all women want that, and she seems content to be friends. Just value her friendship, value her as a person, and do your best to remove romantic interest from the equation. If you can't give up your romantic interest, you may well lose her friendship altogether. Friendships that end because one person wanted more never end pretty. If she calls you back, just be her friend.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-04)
Walter: Have you heard the tapping since that last correspondence from her?...What seems curious to me is that the sound is coming from the closet (but not always), not the area of the drumsticks... I think it's possible that there is a connection, though I'm sure what it may be...

Interesting read, and please keep us posted on the tapping... Maybe do as our wonderful "dumb blonde" Miracles always suggests, and keep a journal to track the sound (not so dumb! 😆)... ❤
sunsetsphere (2 stories) (6 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-04-04)
Hi Walter:

Your experience was very interesting. Paranormal mystery was undoubtedly involved. I am confused, however, if the female friend who sent you the gift of drum sticks was the same female friend whom you rendezvoused with in middle Georgia; and if the tapping began long after she had sent you the drum sticks. I wish you would clarify this matter one of these days.

From my point of view, your deceased parents have nothing to do with the tapping. I do not intend to be assertive, especially with paranormal mysteries, but I believe the paranormal has created a mystery along with some events (your actions) for you to carefully analyze. Firstly, the mysterious tapping began at about the time you were about to meet your female friend for a start. Secondly, I consider the fact that the tapping came from the closet across your room, not from the top of the bookshelf where the drum sticks gift from her had been lying. This could mean there is, or there should be, distance between you and your female friend. Later on, the tapping while you were with her in middle GA were close to your knees and thighs. She heard the tapping, and I suppose you told her about it. Try to consider that if the two of you were meant for each other, should not the tapping come right close to your genitals? Seriously, if you and your female friend were to live happily ever after, the paranormal tapping would be absolutely in the right place, not somewhere else, in your body!

I believe therefore that, by way of the tapping messages, the paranormal (angel, unknown power, or what not, as you wish) is trying to help you veer away from an irreversible mistake in life which you are probably slowly but surely going into. By whom and how else can you be warned? The unreceptiveness of your female friend, from my point of view, is itself a paranormal barrier or harbinger against any of your future wasteful or risky actions. I must say do not break the paranormal barrier! Here again I say I do not intend to be assertive. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
Walter (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-04)
Nicole,
Thanks for your comments. I don't believe it is an evil spirit. I feel no fear. It is rather comforting to me. I have never "invited" spirits into my home, such as with ouija boards, seances, etc. I have never seen any shadow figures, though I do believe others have seen them, from documentaries and books I have read. My friend is certainly not evil. She is very kind-hearted and compassionate to others, and has been so to me for the six years that I have known her. I think she is typical of many single women who have had bad marriages in the past (she has had two), and aren't willing to risk having another bad one. But she knows me well and that I am not abusive or jealous and very level headed. I think it is more that she puts "career" ahead of family, as many women do. She is a very successful businesswoman who could easily retire today in comfort, but she can't seem to get enough of the green stuff, working long exhausting hours day after day. I think I may be too sensitive to have ghosts like shadow figures appear to me. I think maybe the Lord prevents that for people like me. I might be too frightened and have to sleep with all the lights on if that did happen, LOL. The movie "The Exorcist" had that effect on me and my wife at the time. I vowed never to watch that movie again. I have never seen a ghost, but I believe my dad followed me around for three days after his funeral, in 1991. It was comforting. And once I closed up a libary late at night (I was a career librarian) and felt the presence of a spirit. The hair on my neck and arms stood up and I got goose bumps. The library was an old one, built in 1910, on a college campus. No one else was in the building. I was glad to get out of there. Thanks again.
Walter
Walter (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-04)
lynrith, That is a great idea about getting a psychic. I have seen them on TV and they have a gift, I am sure, helping solve missing persons cases and murders. I suppose I can Google "psychics, south Georgia" to find one? I had already decided not to call or write her, unless she writes or calls first. If she is a true friend, she will call back. If not, she won't. I think we have been very close over the years, and she will call back sooner or later. I would rather have a friendship relationship with her as before than none at all. Those four days spent together were so much fun, that it has been a tremendous letdown to come back home. My social contacts are limited, and in my church there are few singles, only the young and the elderly, but none around my age. I have been advised to go to a different church or churches, but to me my church is very special and no other can compare with it. In this church, we believe if we can't be married in mortal life, we can be after death to someone who also did not have a chance to marry in mortality. So, I am not distraught at all as I might have been at a younger age. I have seen it all, so to speak. It is nice to reach an age where you can take things in stride and not get all upset. What will be will be.
Carl, my house is only 15 years old, and only one family has lived here before me, a divorcee with teen daughters. We tend to think of old houses as having such manifestations, but I guess there are exceptions. Neighbors say no one has died here. If not for the gift of drum sticks from my friend, I would never suspect her connection to the sounds, but it must have something to do with her. There had been an 8 month hiatus in her calls/e-mail and soon after she started those again, the tapping began. Today one occured at 6:13 pm. I would rather think some "guardian angel" is encouraging me to not give up on my friend. I am just going to wait patiently to see what might happen. I will post any new developments that might occur. Thank you both for your helpful comments. Walter
nicole_scaredmother (1 stories) (6 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-04-04)
If this was me, I would say uh oh
I have heard from others that demons and other evil spirits often do things in threes, like taps, such as in your story, to mock the Holy Trinity. No way to be sure, it could be your mother, or something else.
Do you see any shadows fly by your doorway or anything similar to that?

Nicole
lynrinth (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-04)
If I were you, I would consider maybe consulting a pyschic? It's up to you, this does sound intriguing. All I can say is, trust your gut. If she calls back again, she definitely wants the friendship. Maybe leave it at that.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-04)
hi walter great post thanks for sharing.
Now personaly I would say look into the house history to see if any thing could explain the sounds but it would also be nice to think you were being given advice from the spirit world, only if the message could be clearer for you to understand.
Hope you get the answers you need soon.
Please keep this post updated if you can.
Carl

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: