You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: Now I Cannot Sleep In The Dark

Real Ghost Stories

Now I Cannot Sleep In The Dark

 

Warning: This is a very lengthy story which contains a lot of my different experiences. If you are short on time I don't recommend you read any further.

I have had so many different experiences over a period of about 8 years, I'm not sure where to start. I apologise for the length of this, if you don't want to read the whole thing I've tried to break it up into sections.

First of all, I would like to let the readers know that I have never meddled with ouija boards or attempted to contact spirits. Whenever I do tell someone my experiences that is always a question I'm asked. Secondly, I do not like these experiences. It is not something I seek out. My mother watches a lot of horror novels and when I told her some of these events, she said that she wished she could experience it.

I remember seeing odd things that scared me when I was a young child but as I cannot be certain whether these were true events, or just my overactive imagination, I won't bother going into detail.

The first real experiences I had occurred when I was 17 years old. I was living with my boyfriend at the time, and as he worked late at night, I would come home from work to an empty house at night. I would often see shadows moving inside the house as I would unlock the front door, which was a sliding glass door. Everytime, I would walk through the house and turn on every light, checking all doors and windows but found nothing. No intruders, no signs of forced entry or open windows.

Once when laying in bed, I was drifting off to sleep when there was a loud bang next to my head on the wall. I turned on the light, and the strings which control the window blinds (they have a weight on the bottom) were still swinging from side to side. The windows and doors were closed, there was no breeze and I could not find a reason as to why the weight would have made a loud bang on the wall next to my head.

Another day, my boyfriends mother was moving out of this particular unit and I was packing up her closet for her and placing her shirts on a chair. I remember seeing a particularly bright coloured shirt and thought "wow, that's ugly." I continued piling shirts onto the chair and then walked out to get a drink from the kitchen. When I returned to the room, the "ugly" shirt I paid attention to was spread out flat on the ground a good metre from the chair. The shirts which I had placed ontop of it had not not moved, so it had not simply slipped off the chair.

Another time, I woke up not being able to move and felt a weight ontop of me. It felt as though someone was laying beside me and had wrapped their leg and arm over me protectively. I did not feel scared during this experience but remember feeling comforted and calm. After five minutes the feeling lifted and I was able to sit up.

The last experience in this particular house I will mention is when I had an argument with my boyfriend at the time, and he threw my mobile phone into the roof through a man-hole in the ceiling. The next day, armed with a flashlight, I used the inbuilt cupboard which was almost directly below the manhole and made my way up, positioning myself with my back resting against the side of the manhole as I used my torch to try and locate my phone. Suddenly, a cold wind engulfed me and I particuarly remember my fringe flying around in front of my face. I used my torch to try and see if there were any holes in the roof where a breeze would be coming through, but found nothing. It was at that point that my flashlight died. I jumped down, tapped the torch and it started working again. I went back up, same thing happened with the breeze and the torch failed almost instantly. I tried tapping it but it wouldn't work. I refused to go back into the man-hole. I then ended up moving to another house.

Following the experiences in that house, I had not had any experiences for a good year. It was when I moved in with my cousin when I was 18 that strange occurances started to happen again.

My cousin worked night shift and his wife and children were staying at her mother's house while they were having a break, so I was left alone by myself at nights. I think perhaps it may be relevant that his house was part of a new buiding estate.

I had been sleeping in the livingroom with the TV on as I felt an unexplainable fear with sleeping in my room. It was right at the back of the house down the end of a long hallway and I just found it creepy. I would often hear creaking noises and would tell myself it was the house settling. There was a door in the kitchen which led to the garage and I saw an open manhole in the roof of the garage which scared me, after my experiences with man-holes at the previous house.

One night I was sitting in the loungeroom and I heard the door to the garage open. I got up and sure enough, it was wide open. I checked the door handle, and it was still in the locked position. I shut the door, checked the lock, and rattled the door a bit to make sure it wouldn't come open again. I walked back into the livingroom. As soon as I sat on the couch, I heard the door open again. This frightened me as I knew I had just thoroughly checked the lock, so I refused to leave the livingroom and left the door open for the rest of the night.

After two weeks, I decided that I could not live in fear and that I would go and sleep in my room with the lights off "like a normal human being". (This is what I told myself, trying to laugh at my fear.) I remember the hairs on my arms and back on my neck being on end as I turned all the lights off and got into bed. I was trying to get to sleep as quickly as possible. After five minutes, I heard footsteps in the kitchen, on the tiles. I then heard the footsteps come down the hallway on the carpet and into my room. The footsteps sounded different on the different surfaces. I then heard the footsteps pacing back and forth next to my bed. I jumped out of bed and turned all the lights on in the house but found nothing.

I remember someone once told me to talk to spirits if you are afraid, so as I stood in the kitchen, I said out loud "You're scaring me, so you stay in your area (I believed it originated from the man-hole in the roof) and I will stay in the livingroom, OK?" after this, I heard a definite knock from the ceiling. I then asked "Is there more than one of you?" I waited for a minute but heard nothing, after which I asked "Is there only one of you?" Straight away I heard a knock in the ceiling. Overcome by fear, I said "OK you're freaking me out, I'm going to the livingroom." And I stayed in there until my cousin returned home. Looking back, I should have asked different questions, but at the time I so scared I just wanted to be left alone.

When my cousin returned home I told him what happened. He then told me that he had often heard footsteps in the roof which would go in the direction of his daughters room, who was 4 years old. He also explained that he would smell something like burning oil. I had also experienced this.

When his wife and daughter came back, there was a problem with lights working in his daughter's room. Batteries would fail for no reason and then work in the morning. On three occasions I was woken in the middle of the night by my cousins daughter crawling into bed with me, as her bedroom was across the hall from mine. One day after lunch, she told me "there are shadow people in my room." Wanting to clarify what she was trying to tell me, I asked "Do you mean your mum or your dad?" and she replied "No, shadow people." This was why she was scared of the dark and insisted on using a night light of some form. I told her if she was ever scared, to come to my room or her parent's room, and she did so on many occasions.

At this stage of my life I moved to work on a sheep station in the middle of the desert. I worked on 2 stations, for a year and a half each. I once heard a knocking on my window when I was home alone and found no-one nearby. With the nearest town being 500 kilometres away, it was doubtful anyone would be in the vicinity. Also I had a lot of door slamming occur but thought nothing of it as it may have just been a windy night and there were a few open windows.

From there I decided to come to university and a lot of activity has been occuring since I have been here.

Twice I have woken up gasping for breath as though I was being choked.

While laying with my hands above my head, I felt someone run their finger down my armpit.

I've had books and pens get pushed off my table.

Clothes falling off hangers.

Imprints on my bedding of someone sitting down.

I have seen black shadows, that resembled a torch light getting flicked around my room, as well as the outline of a figure standing in my doorway when all my lights were on.

I have smelt burning hair and not found a source, and about an hour afterwards, I could smell something that resembled candle wax and pot pourri.

I have woken up on numerous occasions with bruises on my arms which resemble fingerprints, in a position as though someone was holding me down.

I have felt something laying directly ontop of me, and constant cold spots.

The most frightening experience was one night as I was drifting off to sleep. I felt the air get freezing cold, and a hand pat my right foot, then just below my knee and then just above it, and sharply tug my blankets down. In fear, I froze and pretended to ignore it, telling myself I imagined it. After a couple of minutes, I felt the exact same patting down and sharp tug of the blanket. It pulled the blanket a good 10cm down. It would have been more, had my arm not been ontop of the blankets. I turned the lights on and called my mother (it was 2:30am). I was crying and telling her "there is something here, something is here I'm not alone." I felt I needed to ring her so that in the morning I would not think it was merely a dream.

Ever since that night, (it was 8 months ago now) I have not been able to sleep in the dark. I have had a TV or lamp, sometimes even the ceiling light on, all night. I can only sleep easily once I see the sun starting to come up through the blinds.

I went to a doctor as I was studying all day and working part time, and not able to sleep at night, so I was running on empty. The doctor diagnosed me with an anxiety disorder and prescribed me anti-depressants and sleeping tablets. I don't take the anti-depressants (as I'm not depressed!) but sometimes take the sleeping tablets out of necessity.

I want to be able to sleep normally, but I feel as though whenever I let my guard down, that is when strange things occur.

I lost my job because I couldn't function properly due to sleep deprivation, but my uni work has been fine as I just study at night time now (I'm writing this at 3am) and sleep in the afternoon.

I'm not sure if I'm simply sensitive to these things, or if I attract it. I don't watch horror movies, and I don't want these things to happen, I just want it to all stop.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Cynthia88, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

timinator (3 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-02)
it could be possible that there is a demonic entity with you. You can call a priest to bless you, or you can try to get some incense. I hope the haunting will end eventually for you:) 😁
gelflingfay (1 stories) (52 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-31)
IT has obviously gottan bad for you. And I am sorry for that. But you need to take a stand. It sounds as though things have amplified over time and so has your fear. Fear is a feeder, and you need to control it. It is ok to be scared, but keep it in check. I have seen things since I was a child and used to be terrified, and at times I still am. But for the most part I keep things in check. I have had a "soul sucker" (amoungst many other things) or what ever you want to call it visit me every night for over a week which makes it very hard to breathe with out letting them do what they want, but Eventually you reach a point where you decide you have had enough. You will either decided this now or perhaps any further down the line. And when this happens you could annoyed, or angry. If it is anger do not let that last long, That is almost as bad as fearing them, but annoyed is fine. Because with that comes the ability to usually be non chilant with them. When I see something, hear something, feel something, smell something. I tell it to bugger off! I lay ground rules! Every single time! If I feel really threatened, I play music, lay salt, burn sage, what ever feels appropriate at the time. Trust your instincts, trust your gut, if it feels dangerous, then respond appropriately. Just don't let it bully you, no matter what it is. You are stronger than you think! You can do this! You will not let it beat you! After all, if it is going to be around, then something needs to be worked out. What I usually say is," Ok you were not invited here so leave! If you are here to keep me safe and to protect me then you may stay, but only if there is no harm intended toward my self or others. If you are here to hurt me or scare me or to screw with me or my family then leave. If you do not leave my house (fill in you space here) then I will make you leave one way or another. Leave my Children alone, Leave Me alone, My Husband our things! But If you are here to care for us we still ask that you do not let us see you, hear you, feel, you, smell you, so we do not get creeped out. Thank you!" There is more to it than that usually because I feel that it is best to cover all of your bases, and leave no room for them to squeek by. The point is, don't let them bully you. Take your stand. Let them know that you are tired of it, and take your life back. IF you are worried about doing this by yourself then find someone you trust and ask them to be there with you when you do this. If you need further help please email me and let me know. IF you need a simpithetic ear drop me a line. I have got your back! 😉
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-31)
Cynthia,
I know you are already HERE to talk about these events in your life, but do you have someone to confide in that you could share all of this with? The reason I ask, is that sometimes a different opinion can make you take a look at things differently. I do believe you are experiencing paranormal activity, but I don't think ALL of the things you are experiencing are paranormal. Once you've gone through something unexplainable, it is easy to be on edge and question every thing as a paranormal event. If you have someone who can help you rationalize all of these events, you can work together to come to some conclusion on what is paranormal and what is a result of an overtired, overworked, overstressed life.
Once you are able to decipher which is which, you can seek help from a psychic or a clergy member to try to cleanse your home. From the sounds of things, this will be something you deal with for a long time. But if you find a cleansing method, or a means of addressing these happenings that you are confident in and believe in, you can use these methods everywhere you go and live in the future.
I believe you when you say these things are happening... But committing yourself to fixing this situation requires the will to stand up to all explanations, event those you may not accept at first.

Lou
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-30)
Cynthia88, this has got to be hard on you. I have had very similar experiences with Spirit brusing me like you have said. But, my activity is nothing compared to this.
YOU CANNOT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU. I am very worried about you, and I don't even know you personally. Don't let Spirit do this to you. You need to take care of yourself. I recommend lighting a candle and praying to (insert belief system here) God and the Angels to protect you from the negative entities, and to protect your house from negative Spirits/entities. And go to all corners of your house/place of living, and recite a prayer to protect yourself and your house. Also light incense to purify your house.
Any questions, just email me (click my username and that will direct you to my page, where my email address is).
I hope everything works out for you.
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-29)
hi there cynthia88
Have to agree with aiafaith1 does sound like you have had some very bad luck with the spirit acctivity.

Also would say get help with this latest experiance being bruised and frightened can't be plesent at all for you seek advice and help ridding your self of this spirit as soon as you can.
Please keep this updated if you can
Carl
Trudy82 (5 stories) (57 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-29)
It sounds to me like something has been attached to you for a very long time. That's just my hunch as I read this. I don't know what you saw or experienced as a child, but it could very well be that something very negative has attached itself to you and from your story it sounds like it's escalating. This is a very real problem and not something to be trifled with. The teens and early 20's are often a time when we also become more attuned to the spiritual world and prone to experiences such as these. If it were me, I would seek help immediately! Find someone whom you can trust - a psychic, or someone who does smudging or cleansing rituals - to help you eradicate this problem. I really sincerely hope that you find help and relief! I hope you'll seek out what you need. Good luck!
aiafaith1 (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-28)
I have a similar problem. I don't like to sleep in my bed anymore, due to fear of something waking me up. It's silly, yes, but I can't help it. I have been sleeping on my floor for maybe 5 months now. Most people might think this is crazy, and it is. I like to sleep with my lights on too. I hear footsteps too, that is why I have a fan in my room. I have also become accustomed to sleeping with the covers over my head, because I also hear people whispering and talking, right in my room. So, you are not alone. Do not fear.

It seems to me that you just have sheer bad luck with the paranormal. Do talk to them. It took me a while to get used to talking to the paranormal, but I do it easily now. Remember this, they are humans like us, but just dead. No need to fear them.

If you would like to get rid of them, I suggest using salt. Put it around your bed and the other places you have had experiences. Salt repels ghosts. Also, if you would like to get rid of them completely, say a prayer aloud. Open your door, tell it that it has to leave now because you say so. I hope this helps.
😊

AF1 ❤
X0XjammyX0X (7 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-05-28)
After reading this it's made me think a lot about the experiences I've had. I've had almost the same experiences but I know why they are here with me. I always have trouble sleeping in my room on my own with the lights out, without my sister being there (yes I'm only in my teens and have to share a bunk bed with my sister).I've experienced a lot and get scared at times, about the shadows I've got many of them in my house, I have 5 spirits just in my room so I understand just how you feel. I always get woken up in the middle of the night by them and as soon as it happens I have to get out straight away because they just pester me. I can get away from the evil spirits in my house. I won't be writing any stories soon because I don't really want to talk about my experiences just yet. All I can say is try and keep away from it the best you can and don't express your fear.
LisaHauntedforlife (12 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-28)
My mother and I have the same problem as you. If in bed during the dark hours we are not going to sleep. My mother has had some one jump in bed with her, felt her bed shake, and heard foot steeps comming toward her. She sleeps with a light on every night, and has for the last 15 years. The tv light does not work for her, if she falls asleep infront of the tv she is shaken awake between 3 and 4 am. I do not use lights but feel I only rest well after the sun has risen. When I go to bed I say out loud I have to be up early and need rest tonight come around friday or tomorrow. That usualy works. I am left alone when I have to be, and only say that when I have to be.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: