You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Is Grandmother Still Here?

Real Ghost Stories

Is Grandmother Still Here?

 

My experience occurred a couple months after the passing of my great grandmother Mildred. It was late at night I had just gone to bed; I found it very difficult to sleep so I was lying there awake, facing the wall. As I was trying to fall asleep I felt air on the back of my neck; as if someone was blowing on me. It scared me but it soon stopped and later in the night I was able to fall asleep.

I talked to my mom the next day to see if she had experienced anything lately; she told me she felt rushing air as if someone was stirring the air while walking by; she has also seen shadow figures and has heard footsteps coming from upstairs when no one else is home. When I spoke to my dad about this he told us that we were crazy. I have a little brother; we haven't spoken to him about the recent events. If he got freaked out it could make the situation worse.

We have a couple of cats and dogs; they seem a little on edge as the recent events have set our household on edge; they are probably feeling some things as well I'm sure.

My friends are all touchy on the subject of the paranormal, so when I tried talking about my experiences with them, of course they called me nuts.

My parents are also concerned that if I experience anything frightening, it could flare up my anxiety attacks again.

We don't leave our windows open and we don't have any fans, so I don't know what else could have caused the odd air flows. I'm just wondering if it may be her? My mom keeps saying that she should go be with grandpa; and I don't like the possibility that she may not have truly left us yet.

Anything helpful would be greatly appreciated!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Vermillion625, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Vermillion625 (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-22)
... Oops, just noticed a typo... It's supposed to say " so I don't know what she means by "diet change"
Vermillion625 (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-22)
So I went to the doctor on monday, they gave me a blood test and a cardiogram. When I explained my symptoms to her, she said there is a strong possibility that I have anemia. And if that's the case anemia would explain my fatigue and paleness. She said that anemia can be treated with prescription medication, iron supplements, and a different diet (I eat very healthy; so I dong know what she means by "diet change")

I'm getting the test results soon to be sure of what's going on.

I'm still experiencing some things at night. In the last few days I've only felt some light touches on my arms.
Thank you for all your help Javelina; I'll keep you posted;)
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-19)
Vermillion, I think it might work into your favour believing it was your Grandma rather than something else... True your Grandma should be with your Granddad and I'm sure in time she will... When we first loose our parents or grandparents, it is quite common for them to stick around for a while... Mostly to make sure we are ok and it is spiritual nature for them to try and contact us that's for sure... Think about it if it were you or me, I know I would try everything to let my family know I'm there... I think your Grandma knows you suffer from anxiety and perhaps the blowing on the neck was a sensitive way to let you know she's there... If this experience is too hard to cope with just let Grandma know you appreciate her being there for you, but you would rather her go through the light and be with Granddad...don't be frighten mate, feel blessed that you know in your heart you will see her again and unite like the family you are, that's what Grandma wants you to know. ❤

Daz
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-19)
Vermillion625,
Please remember that if your situation escalates or changes, don't hesitate to speak up. Don't wait until a situation arises that could in any way compromise your health.
Enjoy your day. 😊

Jav
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-18)
Miracles,
We all know you've been working longer hours lately. So we pick up the slack where we can.
You're worth it. 😊

Jav
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-06-18)
Jav - LOL thank you for picking up after me 😆. I've been slipping lately, huh?
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-06-18)
Vermillion,
Thank you for clearing up the time difference for me, it was a little confusing but I understand now what you meant.
Hopefully your Great Grandmother has moved on, I know we all wish our loved ones to be happy in the hereafter and as you say that she seems not to have made her presence known for a while, that could be the reason.
I'll give you the advice that a wise person (Miracles) normally gives, and that is to keep a journal of all these events you've been experiencing. It helps to be able to go back to these if things begin to change or escalate at all.

Jav

PS~~Thank you ❤
Vermillion625 (1 stories) (13 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-06-18)
Yes Javelina I believe what I said was confusing; what I meant was the first experiences happened after my grandma died; she died about a year and a half ago and I've had experiences since then that include: blowing on my neck, (my mother has experienced rushes of air), shadow figures, and footsteps (but it seems as if she moved on because the experiences we've had since her death, are occurring very rarely now)

And the different experiences I'm still having to this day (which began during the 5 day flu I had almost 2 months ago. (when I say "different experiences" I'm saying the ones I've been having since moving into my new room) and it doesn't seem like grandma has been visiting us lately, and these "different experiences" don't seem like her anyway (though I could be wrong)
I hope I may have cleared up any confusion
P.S jav I think I've been speaking out of line so I'd like to tell you I'm sorry for that.

Vermillion
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-06-18)
Vermillion - thanks for responding to my question. It always helps, when looking for the "normal" explanations, to be able to definitely say it isn't a possibility.
Vermillion625 (1 stories) (13 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-18)
Miracles51031 I do have animals but I keep my door closed to sleep at night
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-18)
Vermillion - I just now got a chance to read your story and wondered if one of your animals could have been responsible for blowing air on your neck? I have a cat, actually have had many over my lifetime, and have also had a couple of inside dogs so I know the possibility exists. Just wondering if that could be the case in your situation.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
-2
13 years ago (2011-06-18)
Vermillion625,
Now that I've slept on it, I do have something else I'd like to make clear. Though the little tiff has blown over, my reply in response to your comments directed at me has yet to be stated. I find it only fair that I should be offered an opportunity to rebut what I find are misreadings of what I actually said in my ORIGINAL comment, and what you actually reported in your original story and your comments made afterward.

1) Nowhere in my comment did I ever state that you were "Running around screaming in fear". What I said was "you seem to be walking on eggshells". How that turned into "running around screaming in fear" was certainly not my doing. And as much as you want to jump on me for it, you would still be wrong in doing so.
2) In one of your latest comments on this thread you state "Btw my flu that lasted 5 days took place almost 2 months ago". But in the very first comment you made you stated "just to note the experiences we had happened over a year ago". This is confusing to me, could you explain that time difference for me in a way that someone as slow as myself might understand it?
3) From one of your latest comments: " I don't think my experiences could linked to the flu I got over a while ago"
From your first comment: "I've felt pressure all over my body when I'm laying in bed, and electric feeling touches on my arms, legs and feet. This began occurring while I had a flu that lasted 5 days and has been occurring ever since"
To which I commented: "The tingling sensations began with the flu. I'd say any left over sensations you may be feeling are nothing but after effects from your illness."
AND...
"Feeling pressure when you lie down could easily be the after effects of the flu also. Sometimes, if you've suffered an ear infection, particularly to the inner ear, your balance may be thrown off, causing that sensation."
4) From one of your comments: "Yeah jav, I'm pretty proud to say I'm not overreacting or going crazy;) "
Once again I am being accused of saying something I never said. If you can find where I made that statement please show this to me, for no matter how many times I reread it, I still come up with nothing.
5) From your comment: "javelina; sorry jav but your comment was anything but helpful to me."
My response to that is this: Though your opinion to my comment is that I was anything but helpful, know that I don't go about this lightly. I don't come here looking for ways to hurt others. In my opinion, my original comments were meant to be helpful and given in that same spirit. That you don't feel they were is fine by me. However, I will not sit back and let you, or anyone else for that matter, put words in my statement that I clearly did not utter.

Javelina

Oh yes, one more thing...
"Javelina I suggest you quit your searches for an argument; it will get you no where and cause people to think of you as an immature child."
I won't lose too much sleep over that. You see, it's how I feel about myself that helps me to sleep, and right now I feel pretty good. 😊 😊
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-06-17)
I will settle this. (saunters over and crosses arms)

Everyone here is a child and you are all wrong. I am the only one who's ever right. I'm big and you're little. I'm smart and you're dumb. LOL

Now you are all equals. (makes cleaning hand jesture to signify job taken care of.) (gives self gold star)

LMAO
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+3
13 years ago (2011-06-17)
Vermillion: The problem's been solved for hours, on a different thread 😊...Let's let it R.I.P, okay?
Vermillion625 (1 stories) (13 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-17)
Javelina I suggest you quit your searches for an argument; it will get you no where and cause people to think of you as an immature child
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-06-17)
I'll carry this conversation on to your story as you asked me to do. I don't see the point in continuing to comment on this story.

This comment from Javelina is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-06-17)
I don't know what your childish problem is Jav, or what I did to piss you off, but I just got done voting up one of your comments on another story that I thought was helpful. But whatever you want to think, and whatever makes you happy. Passive-aggressive much?

This comment from Javelina is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-06-17)
Jav: Actually, there were a few good comments before the one you posted. Saying something negative with the intention to draw attention to the story? That doesn't really make sense, IMO. I'm sure you would feel the same way if someone else had done it to your story.

This comment from Javelina is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

Vermillion625 (1 stories) (13 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-17)
DeviousAngel, no I don't know where jav got the idea that I'm screaming in fear over whatever is going on, though because of my anxiety it does put me on edge but it doesn't feel negative and what otteer had said about the knocking possibly being related to a new wall could be very well the culprit thank you guys for your helpful comments (apart from javelina; sorry jav but your comment was anything but helpful to me)
jzinck (4 stories) (54 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-06-17)
Van Island what a great place. I lived in Esquimault for a while. The land was so beautiful. Like I had my own private beaches. I could see spirits not wanting to leave the area. For what? I was very much at peace living there and that was with a job rent and bills, Your nanny is now probably sitting back with her feet up looking out over saxe point:) 😁
Vermillion625 (1 stories) (13 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-17)
Yeah jav, I'm pretty proud to say I'm not overreacting or going crazy;)
Btw my flu that lasted 5 days took place almost 2 months ago, so I don't think my experiences could linked to the flu I got over a while ago.

Otteer, thank you! I'm going to talk with my mom about these recent events (I have yet to tell her about all the things I've experienced after moving into my new room) and thank you for your concern for my health; I'm going to get checked because my heart rate is just insanely fast even when I'm laying in bed at night
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-17)
Jav, I'm not sure where you got the idea that the author was running around screaming in fear from this entity, but I didn't get that notion myself... It just sounds like they are looking for confirmation that they aren't crazy and possibly an explanation for the things they have experienced.

To the author: I suppose there could be scientific explanations for some of these things, but I think in this particular case there may be more going on. And, as otteer suggested, don't consider this a bad or scary thing. Maybe it really was your great grandmother just checking in on you and making sure you were okay since you're having health problems.
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-06-17)
I too am sorry about the passing of your Great Grandmother.

Having a flu for 5 days is difficult as you say on your immune system, I'm glad you are going to the doctor for a check up. Id say give yourself a chance to heal, keep you ears open and maybe keep a log of events. Then you can look at them and see if there are other explainations other than a visitation. Until you are feeling 100 percent, try not to get to anxious, keep an open dialog with mom.

And speakin of mom, good for you for opening up to her. I'm glad you and your mother can have open dialogs about how you are feeling. If your mom has been feeling these things too then it's possible she is sensitive and you seem to have some validation re the blowing on your body. It is a possibility your illness brought on a visitation from a loved one out of concern! What you and your mother are experiencing dosnt sound like anything bad though. No one has been threatened, hurt or attacked. A gentle blow on the neck is more of an endearment in my opinion, a quiet way of saying hello. A passing of shadow can be spirit, they take many forms. You just won't know if it is gg mother until she chooses to confirm it. I do believe spirits are allowed to travel in and out as they see fit to check in on us. My father does, with much love. In a way, its a way of reassuring us they are ok. If they needed help, I believe they would come to us and get our attention in a big way. So if you are being visited, feel blessed they think enough of you to let you know they are ok. Maybe say hello next time you "feel" something. Sometimes I feel silly saying this but if it's not the feeling of love (his id) I usually get from my father, I'd rather acknowledge what I'm feeling and ask what I think I'm feeling to let me sleep, eat or whatever I'm doing at the time! Often I don't know I have beeb visited until I have had time to think about it!

Now, about your remodel, we all hear stories about remodeling stirring up things but there are natural explainations for many sounds that occur after one.
When we put up our new wall we had groaning and cracking, light knocks and pings. This was the house settling and the wood adapting to the household temps. It lasted for over a year then stopped. Since our house is made of timber, we get the cracks, pops and pings that comes with temp. Changes. Not to worry. Let the wall and house settle into one. From what I have read, knocks that are paranormal in nature may respond to requests, if you feel so inclined you can always ask for a knock before they happen and see if there is a response. I did and got nada. (my ex finally explained the temp change thingy and I felt better)

I'm glad you found this place to sound off. You are right, the paranormal is often an uncomfortable subject, even if it's discussed just as a possibility. What science cannot explain can be uncomfortable for many.

Hope you feel better soon and keep us updated! ❤
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-06-17)
Vermillion625,
First of all, you need to calm down. All this anticipation of an event that may never occur is way over the top. You have no reason to believe that any paranormal event will actually take place and yet you seem to be walking on eggshells. Why all the fear? My goodness! I do think this whole thing has been blown out of proportion. The tingling sensations began with the flu. I'd say any left over sensations you may be feeling are nothing but after effects from your illness. Your noises in the walls could simply be air coming in through a crevice you have yet to discover, or something left undone. Feeling pressure when you lie down could easily be the after effects of the flu also. Sometimes, if you've suffered an ear infection, particularly to the inner ear, your balance may be thrown off, causing that sensation.
Almost everything you've laid out can be explained away as normal goings on. The number one rule when trying to decide if something is paranormal is to first eliminate all other possible causes. That means COMPLETELY eliminate them. If their is a chance it could be caused by normal means then it's very hard to call it paranormal.
So relax, it sounds like everyone has gotten themselves worked up over the anticipation of an event. Not over the event actually taking place. Don't look for reasons to call it paranormal, look for reasons not to. 😊

Jav
Vermillion625 (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-16)
Kristinarodriguez1980 and jzinck
I really appreciate your help with my situation
(just to note the experiences we had happened over
a year ago; but we do seem to get the odd visit)
I have been experiencing things that aren't the "normal"
occurrences we were sometimes having. These include:
we just built me a new room in our house; splitting one
large room into 2 and I got the back half. The wall dividing is fairly
solid and at night I hear knocking sounds against the wall,
I have a glass sliding door that I have been seeing large shadows in,
I've felt pressure all over my body when I'm laying in bed,
and electric feeling touches on my arms, legs and feet.
This began occurring while I had a flu that lasted 5 days
and has been occurring ever since. And I'm going for a
doctors appointment on Monday, because my heartrate
is dangerously fast and my immune system is weak.
I don't know if whatever this thing is could be responsible
for that or not. Any tips or info would mean the world to me!
Oh and jzinck I live on Vancouver island:)
jzinck (4 stories) (54 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-16)
Hey verm. Sorry to hear about your nan. Are you from Atlantic Canada by any chance? Mildred, its an older common name in our neck of the woods...
kristinarodriguez1980 (5 stories) (11 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-06-16)
1st off... Sorry to hear about the loss of your gramdmother 😢.Your story is very intresting.
2nd...you are NOT nuts. Do you have more things then this happening to you? I hate to say my house is haunted because a haunting to me is like a never ending nightmare. I believe I have spirits in my house. I don't feel haunted, but I do feel like there's more then my family in here and I get the sense of a old lady and a young child. I have even felt a man's presence more then once.
My grandfather passed away this year and he's never visited me in my house, but he's came to me in my dreams and I NEVER dreamt of him until he passed away. I knew where his soul would be going (To heaven of course) but how would my large family be like after his death and that worried me. He came to me in my dream the night of his death and told me that everything would be ok and don't worry, be happy for him. In my dream he wasn't sick and that made me happy for him. Come to find out he came to some of my other cousins and siblings that night too. It made me feel a sense of security known he was happy.
The day before his funeral my grandmother told us he wanted to be buried in a t-shirt that he's had since I was 8/9 years old (im 30 now). It was a smiley face with the words'Dont worry, Be happy'.I try to keep those words alive because he didn't want us to be sad.
I think your grandmother came to you to let you know she's here still.I'd enjoy her while you can if I was you.
As for my friends... They believe me now about my house. Alot of people will think your nuts, but you aren't.They just don't have an open mind to the world beyond us 😉

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: