You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunting On Walker's Farm?

Real Ghost Stories

Haunting On Walker's Farm?

 

When I was growing up I often heard people speak of Walker's Farm. Local teenagers used to bunk of school and hide out amidst the trees, spend summer evenings capturing newts in the stream, or simply explore the miles upon miles of wasteland. My older brothers used to come home speaking of Walker's Farm, arms full of tadpoles and newts to fill our garden pond with, and all in all it sounded like a pleasant place to be. It was not until I reached my late teens that I began to visit Walker's Farm for myself, and the time I spent on that farm will stay with me for as long as I live.

There are a number of events I would like to include in this post, all of which happened on Walker's Farm, and all of which happened over a period of about five years.

I would visit the farm often with friends, alone, to walk my dog or to explore on my push bike. I had seen a number of things on the farm already, shadows in the bushes, things crouching behind trees and a white mist which travelled along the hilltop on a perfectly clear summer afternoon. None of which had an impact on me quite like the following incidents.

Parts of the land had been sold on, houses had been built and there was now a road passing through part of where the farm used to be. However, the farm was still vast and for some reason there remained what I can only explain as a hut of some kind. I cannot be sure what it was used for, or really be sure what it was, but it was bizarre looking. It had tunnels at each side leading to opposite doorways. It had no windows, the walls were made from what looked like concrete and the flat roof was made from what looked like railway sleepers. This 'hut' played a huge part in what was seen on Walker's Farm, which I will explain later.

One night my friend and I headed out to walk my dog, it was a summer evening but fairly late so it was getting dark out. We turned down the street which now ran through Walker's Farm and had no intention of crossing over onto the remains of the farm. Instead we followed the road all the way through which took us to a very badly lit bike path. The path ran through a wood of pine trees, they were densely planted and you could see no further than a couple of feet in front of you. My dog, Nyla, was hesitant in walking down this path, pulling backwards and whimpering. She stalled what was no less than a dozen times until she gave in and literally pulled us through as fast as she could. We could see the exit of the track, thankfully, and as we approached it we heard a very loud cracking noise above our heads. My friend, Nyla and myself were all startled. Looking up we saw the tree top shaking. This was not caused by a bird or any small critter, there was no wind and the neighbouring trees were still. We heard another crack, and another, and we watched as the entire tree shook from top to base and heard each branch snap as something fell from above our heads. Eventually we heard an almighty thud as something hit the ground right next to us, only we saw nothing.

Whatever it was was not visible but it shot off and we watched the branches move as it ran through them into the darkness. All of this must have only lasted a few moments and we ran off in the other direction as soon as we could move our feet.

Months later a friend and I had gone back to Walker's Farm, we had been out to the cinema and decided to walk through the same street we had seen/heard something fall from the tree. It was late, around midnight, we were nowhere near the entrance to the farm but we heard a distant clanging sound. We could only describe it as metal on metal, as if a blacksmith was hard at work. We were both aware of the sound but figured it must have been coming from a distant garden or garage. The closer we came to the farm the louder it got, so loud it disrupted our conversation and we became curious of the noise that was now obviously coming from the farm. We both decided to walk to the top of the hill and when we reached it we were sure the noise was coming from inside the hut I mentioned earlier.

We were both confused at this point because we had both previously visited the old hut in daylight and there was nothing but old debris scattered around the floor, no lights were coming from it, it had no windows and it was hard enough to see in daylight so we imagined it must have been the epitome of darkness in there. We decided to go onto the farm, and get a little closer, purely driven by curiosity. We must have been one hundred yards away from the hut when all of a sudden the noise ceased. We stopped in our tracks and moments later we were both aware of something peering out from one of the tunnels, it was a dark figure but there was enough contrast to set it apart from the darkness of the farm. It was not a man, and I do not believe it was even human. The feeling I had was enough for me to be sure of that, terrified does not come close. We were stood there and we watched as it went back in and came back to peer around the corner at us a number of times. It was bigger than a normal man, it had a shape but I cannot say it was the silhouette of a human being. Its head was either a very strange shape or it had a hat on.

In hope of a reply my friend called out to the dark figure but that only made things worse. Another dark figure appeared at the feet of the first, it was peering at us just like the other, only this one looked much more animalistic. It was crouched over, on all fours, but again I cannot say for certain that it took the shape of anything I had seen before. This silhouette made a noise only describable as a snarling, growling, angry noise, but not that of a dog of any kind. At this point we fled, running back to the hill and over it as fast as possible. When we reached the street lights we looked back towards the hill to see the first figure stood watching us. It never left the grounds of the old farm, but it followed us along as far as it could go, we saw its head bobbing up and down amidst the trees. This drove us both to tears, that is how scared we were.

To this day I am adamant that what we saw was real, but I do not know what it was. It has always left me with a feeling I cannot really describe, as insane as it sounds I have never felt the same. I have researched Walker's Farm and found nothing about the actual farm. Everything I know is from people who were around when it was still a farm. The one thing I did find is that during the building of the road that runs through they had planned to build houses on some of the old unused fields. This never happened and there was never an explanation, only that building stopped and a six foot wall was built around the perimeter of the remaining farm, including the old hut.

I would appreciate any input into what people think this may be, or even if anyone has ever seen anything similar? Maybe it was Walker himself.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, houseoffools, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

misstaylor (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-14)
Hello houseoffools, Your story is one of the most well-written and spinechilling on this site.
Could you give me a specific location for the farm?
(My ancestors were farming folk called Walker, from the Sculcoates/Kirk Ella area and I wondered if there is a family connection).
I am strongly inclined to the view that what you saw was an earth elemental - these can be truly terrifying, and can sometimes be linked to a specific location as a guardian - hence keeping to the boundaries of the old farm. The Romans also had a strong belief in the 'genius loci' (spirits of the place) and frequently erected altars to acknowledge and honour these beings.
winx717 (2 stories) (31 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-08)
Great story! This is like few other stories I have read here. It kept me on my seat and it gave me the creeps. You described things so well and I could literally see these entities/creatures in my head - I felt like I was there with you. Thank you so much for sharing... This one made it to my favorites! 😊
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-07)
houseoffools read this last night but ran out of time to comment so had to head back tonight.

Great story realy enjoyed it and the up dates you have added today have answered the few questions I had 😊

Thanks for sharing,
Carl
JustCurious (2 stories) (434 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-07)
I would recommend maybe, if you haven't tried it yet, swinging by the library and asking them if they have any records of owners that may have lived there.

If that is a deadend then I would also recommend going to like a townhall, or the local court, or something like that and ask them to tell you where to go to check in on that.

Do you know anyone else in the area that lived there when it was functioning and ended? If so then maybe they are aware of what may have happened there.

Hope this helps!

Peace
JustCurious
houseoffools (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-07)
Hi Gizzy,
Thank you for your comment and your interest in my story.

Walker's Farm was a disused farm when I was a child. I am unsure of how long it had been unused for, but my parents used to tell me how it was much bigger when it was in use. They told me a lot of the acres were used to build houses on, and part of it had become an industrial estate. At the time of the sightings described in the above story the remains of the farm were still vast, unused wasteland. I have no idea why this farm became unused, I have tried to research it on many occasions. My only guess is that it was maybe passed down through a family and when no one was left to take the farm over it was left to the council, them selling bits of land off here and there.

I mention how there was a road built through one of the fields in Walker's Farm because it always appeared strange to me. They had built houses on one side of the new road, but on the other Walker's Farm was still very much unused. The houses built are expensive, high budget houses and the area is very green and ideal. It is bizarre how they left the opposite side completely alone, where the 'hut' was and where everything had been seen, when they had originally planned to build houses and play grounds there too. As I stated in my story I researched this and all I found was a short article explaining how the building stopped suddenly and a six foot wall was build around the perimeter of the remaining field.

In recent years they have demolished the 'hut' and sold a few acres off and a few factories have appeared here and there. Again, bizarre, as I can't imagine it helps to sell the houses at the opposite side of the road. They would have otherwise had a lovely view. Now they are left with grey, creepy factories dotted amidst the remaining trees of the farm.

The part of the farm where myself and my friend witnessed the thing in the trees is still very much a part of Walker's Farm, only things have become segregated with parts of it being sold off and parts of it being left alone.

I guess the land was maybe unusable, or didn't have the right building conditions. Or maybe they ran out of money, but it baffles me how this was never stated. Maybe they saw something too, or know something I don't.

I hope this has helped paint a clearer picture for you.

As for the feeling it has left me with, it is hard to explain. I had always heard people talk of ghosts, friends would tell me how they had encountered them, I saw a ghost in a friend's house once too. The feeling this place left me with is completely different though. As described in the story I had heard of Walker's Farm a lot when I was growing up and it always interested me because I am very into nature and the outdoors. I would much rather be out exploring somewhere, even as a kid, so it appealed to me. I know that what I saw was not human, but at the same time I have no idea what it could have been for sure. I guess the feeling I have had with me since is uncertainty. I feel like I saw something not many people do/get to, like I have my proof of something else, but I am still unsure. I'm twenty five years old now and I still have that feeling. It has influenced a fair few things in my life too. I'm not religious or anything so it has never challenged any beliefs on that account.

Walker's Farm is in East Yorkshire, England.

I hope this helps.
Gizzy (3 stories) (71 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-07)
Hi houseoffools,

I really enjoyed your story and it is going into my favorites. Very well written.
I apologise if I am being really dumb but is Walkers Farm an area, town or an disused farm?
You say it is no longer there which suggests buildings of some sort but I must admit I am a little confused.
Also you say "It has always left me with a feeling I cannot really describe, as insane as it sounds I have never felt the same". Do you feel the experience changed how you view the world? Or have you been left with a feeling since? Is it foreboding? I am sorry I have so many questions but something about your story has really sparked my interest. Also where is Walkers Farm?
Sorry again for so many questions and it is not because I don't believe you I do, I am just trying to work out why I am so interested in this account. 😊 😊 Suzie
houseoffools (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-07)
againsarahan - Thank you for your comment. Your friend's experience sounds terrifying, you should certainly encourage her to write about it sometime. Knowing something is not as it should be and being in a situation where you have very limited choices, I would have tried to find a hiding spot too. I probably would have when I encountered what I described above, had I not been with a friend.
houseoffools (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-07)
Moongrim - I would absolutely make a trip back to Walker's Farm and take pictures of the 'hut' but sadly it no longer exists. There are still many fields though, the wall surrounding the area is still there and the track through the pine trees still exists so maybe I will photograph those.

TruthInDarkness - As stated above the old 'hut' doesn't exist anymore. After a little recent research I am pretty certain that it was some sort of air raid shelter. Although I had thought this before I had never seen one like that. In the early 90s there used to be a fair few domestic air raid shelters in people's gardens, yet none like this.

I did do a search many years back to find a picture like the one on Walker's Farm but I didn't find one.

However, I have found this one:

Http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/sites/c/charlwood_air_raid_shelter/charlwood1.jpg

Obviously it is taken from the inside, but as you can see from the doorway it leads into a 'tunnel' of sorts. You have to walk through that until you reach outside. This looks very similar to the one I'm trying to explain.

If it is an air raid shelter I am guessing it had been on the farm since the 1930s at least.
TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-06)
gotta love typos...

My previous comment was supposed to read: "It might have even been poised to attack when the first branch snapped."

I'm still having a hard time picturing "tunnels". Do you live close enough to this area to make a day trip? A photo probably would help quite a bit.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-06)
You always go back and take some photos of the places you've described. After all a picture is worth a thousand words...
houseoffools (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-06)
TruthInDarkness - Thank you for your comment.

From a distance the hut resembled what I can only describe as a concrete box. The tunnels formed quite the illusion, until we were close enough to see an opening, as they appeared to blend the entrances in as if they weren't there.

They didn't really lead anywhere at all, certainly not underground. If the hut had a cellar or a trapdoor leading to a lower floor I'm not sure as it was too dark and eerie to stay in there too long, even in daylight.

I can't really be sure what purpose the tunnels served. I once thought that they may be to keep sunlight out, as all they seemed to do was conceal the actual doorways in. When myself and a number of friends visited the hut we noticed that one of these tunnels lead you to the doorway as that was where the tunnel ended and the only way out was to go back the way we came. The other was different though, it just ran straight through to the other end and you were outside again. On that side the doorway into the hut was in the middle of the tunnel.

I am baffled as to what it was used for on the farm. I had previously wondered if it was an old air raid shelter. I have researched this and I found a couple of explanations/pictures that almost resemble the hut in question, but not entirely.

I hope this helps answer your question.
TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-06)
BJJ - That was my thought too! I think the only reason the one in the woods ran away is because it "lost composure" having just fallen out of the tree. I might have even been poised to attack when the first branch snapped.

I know nothing about elementals except for what I've read in other stories. Do a search on this site for "forest elemental". Another person posted a couple of stories about his experience.

As for the "hut" and the entities within, I'm not sure what they were. I've heard stories of giants in the UK, but I'm unsure of their authenticity.

BTW, I'm having a hard time getting a mental image of "tunnels" leading into the "hut". Were they extended archways leading to doors? Or did they literally take you below ground and the "hut" just served as a "landmark"?
againsarahan (34 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-06)
Thank you for taking time to relate this experience so clearly. One of the strangest stories I've read. My best friend had an encounter in rural New Hampshire that reminds me a little of yours. The concept of human spirits among us is easy for me to accept, but what my friend encountered was not human. It appeared to have a physical presence, and she was intuitively made aware of it's approach on the road she walked along. She is not a nervous person, but was moved to hide herself and wait until something inhuman but clothed went shuffling past her hiding spot... I'd like her to write it down sometime, as it is truly bizarre. Thank you for sharing your story.
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-06)
Could this be a story of both ghosts and monsters? Jackpot! Yes, sorry, very creepy and terrifying. But you may have very well encountered to paranormal entities. The strange thing about this case is that the ghosts and the monsters seem connected. I don't think I've heard of that before. What a strange and interesting place!
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-06)
If I were to take a guess at what you witnessed, I would say it was some type of elemental creatures. They are not all particularly friendly to humans. Some are nice, some are indifferent, and some just don't like people at all. They can be frightening, they don't look or feel like what most humans expect to encounter. I wouldn't recommend going back there after dark. It seems that these particular creatures were letting you know that you weren't welcome at that place.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-07-06)
That is a very bizarre story indeed. I'm actually a bit afraid to find out what it might have been. There are some creepy things lurking in woodsy and rural areas, and it definitely sounds like you encountered a few of them! Thanks for sharing your story!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: