You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: The Walker Ames House

Real Ghost Stories

The Walker Ames House

 

I've been a paranormal investigator since 2005. I started this because I've always been fascinated by the paranormal not because I had any experiences (that I can remember) as a child. So I was a bit skeptical of most people claiming to have ghostly encounters, although I do have a very open mind.

When I first started out I took some classes on learning what to do, at the end of the series of classes, our instructor, a man named Neil McNeill took us to an amazing town called Port Gamble, WA. The last day of the class we got to investigate an abandoned mansion called the Walker Ames house. This house is beautiful but it hasn't been lived in for decades now. The town keeps it up as much as they can for special events, etc. But it isn't up to code to have anyone live in it permanently.

Neil told us the history of the house and the ghost stories, in my mind, I was thinking this was just going to be a fun night exploring an old historic lumber mill home, I didn't think it would change my life forever.

As I said, I'm a skeptic. My mind cannot easily be changed or fooled by people, I have to see things for myself. There were 6 of us in the house that night. Neil split us up into two groups. One group went down to the basement and we stayed on the second floor. He had just warned us to stay out of this little hallway by the attic door, it was between the bathroom and the landing, because he was feeling a strong presence there of something. In my mind I just thought, 'surrrreee you did' (sarcastically) and walked to a far bedroom.

I heard him in another room answering questions of the other investigator, but when I came out, I saw his shadow in the hallway (the little hallway he just told us NOT to stand in). As I started to walk over there to see what he was doing, the shadow quickly came toward me and disappeared. I started for a second and was stunned. I still heard Neil and the other person talking but the shadow was GONE. I couldn't process it. I went around the corner and saw them talking in a little room right around the corner of the bathroom. I interrupted them, "WHO, WAS JUST STANDING IN THE HALLWAY?" I said WAY to loudly.

Neil looked at me for a second and said, "UM, June, no one was standing in the hallway." I said, "NOooooooo, someone was standing in the hallway, I saw their shadow and it's gone now." He looked at me and smiled and asked what the shadow looked like. I saw a dark, black shadow, looked a little short, thick middle and bald or round head. It was still light outside but the sun was setting, all of the shadows were elongated, this one was standing straight up and down.

I even went downstairs, outside and found a leaf and tore it in the shape of a person and put it up at the stained glass window, just in case it was natural. Nope, definitely not that.

I was at a loss for words. When finally I had NO explanation for it, Neil told me that (unbeknownst to me) several people had seen shadows of people upstairs and several people reported seeing the shadow of a short, fat, bald man. I wasn't the only one.

At that moment while he was telling me this, we heard a yelp from the stairway. Another person coming up the stairway said she swore she just saw the shadow of a person running across the landing and it disappeared.

After that night, I realized I was hooked forever being a "ghost hunter" and now I'm Vice President of one of the oldest ghost hunting teams of the Pacific Northwest, The Advanced Ghost Hunters of Seattle Tacoma (A.G.H.O.S.T.).

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Washington

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, divinemsjunebug, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

The_Lost_Voyage_11 (7 stories) (238 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-04-09)
Hello indigomoon694, this post is in response to your post and not directly related to this story. Since you are a member, I would recommend that you share your story, write it up and post it as such. There are many knowledgeable members on here that could help you by offering different perspectives and offer recommendations in locating research sources in your quest for answers. Who knows, someone from that area cold see your story and enlighten you on some of the history. It's better to post your story and open it up to comments rather than try to relate it through the comments of another story, only because not as many people see it, and by telling the whole story it makes much more sense to your readers. Good Luck and I look forward to reading your account!
indigomoon694 (1 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-04-05)
Hello I hope this message finds you!
I have live and have lived in a town about 20 minutes outside of Port Gamble but sadly have only drove passed The Walker Ames house and never gone inside but I have lived here since about 5 years old to now (not going to say just for privacy) but as a child I new was very interested in anything that had to do with ghosts and the paranormal. When I was about 8 or 9 we moved into a different house that is right downtown and was built in 1915, I do not live there anymore but live very close buy but my experience there was stuck with me since and I have a really big interest in finding out more about the home or it's history but can't find anything by just searching the address. I have had a reading by a psychic about a year ago and talked about my experience and she shared some really insightful information about what my experience and what I saw could have meant but I still have a lot of unanswered questions, I would like to share my experiences more in detail if you have any resources available because this would be pretty long but I will share the most promanitate experience vaguely, it was the first home that I didn't share a room with my sister and it was our first night staying at the home, we had only stated moving in that day but wanted to stay the night at our new home so I ended up sleeping in my room on just a mattress for that night and don't remember much besides what happened, I myself still try to rationalize this experience by questioning if it was a dream but everything in me feels it was real and I remember my dreams all the time but can say this did not feel anything at all like a dream, I woke up to a girl about my age maybe a little older with long brown hair who was crying and was wearing a long-sleeve white nightgown that had blood on it, I was horrified and absolutely filled with fear and ran into my parents room and told them what happened and fell asleep, I believe we only lived in that house for a year because it was being rented but is currently not anymore. I have not seen anything like that else in the house but was always uneasy and have had multiple times where pigeons have flown into and hit the window when I was home alone I believe 3 times, I have always wondered if there is any known history about the house since it was built in 1915 but have never found anything out. Is there anything I can do? My mom still has contact with the owner but I have never asked nor told her about this experience but would be able to if there was anyway to find anything out is there anyway I can talk to you or someone from The Advanced Ghost hunters of Seattle Tacoma?

Thank you!
-Simone
LightMight (4 stories) (137 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-10-12)
Hi divinemsjunebug, and welcome,

I think it's great you went from open-minded skeptic to having a profound experience that turned you toward believing some things paranormal. I do hope you come back to share more of the unusual experiences you've had and findings you've uncovered as an investigator!
~LightMight

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: