You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Dogs On Alert

Real Ghost Stories

Dogs On Alert

 

I am new at this, and I have never posted on this site before. I keep having something really odd and creepy happening to me and my boyfriend, so I figured this would be the place to ask a few questions. Here is the situation:

Ghosts, spirits and other unknown beings have never really frightened me or kept me up at night. I lost my sister at a young age and so I have come to terms with the idea that there are things that surround us that we cannot always see, but we can sometimes feel. I have also always felt protected from others spirits because she tends to come around so often. There are times when my Mastiff starts wagging her tail and rolls over on her belly like someone is scratching her belly, while it freaks some of my friends out (and sometimes my boyfriend) but it always seems positive so I have never thought anything of it.

My boyfriend and I moved into a great new apartment over a year ago, it's newish (10 years old) and modern. We love it; it's bright and clean and has a good vibe to it. About three months into living there I took our older Mastiff outside to go to the bathroom, it was between 1-2am and she was going to the bathroom and suddenly she froze, put her hackles up and started growling and looking over my shoulder. It was an odd reaction from her, she is a really laid back dog, so I turned around but there was nothing there. I got a really bad feeling at that moment, but I figured that I was just reacting to her so I walked back to our door, walked inside and as soon as I took Layahs leash off and locked the door something slammed against our front door and I mean slammed. My boyfriend and I both jumped half way to the ceiling we were so startled. My boyfriend opened the door with Layah by his side growling, nothing was there. We went to the bedroom, crawled into bed with Layah who was attached to my side and started watching the TV so we could go to sleep, and all of a sudden Layah jumped off our bed and started barking with her hackles up again, but this time something popped and she ran into the bathroom and stayed there all night. This is VERY odd behaviour coming from her.

After that everything has been fine, we have had a few odd things happen here and there, but nothing like what happened last night.

Six months ago we got a baby English Mastiff to keep Layah company. His name is Tiny, and just like our other dog he is very laid back. Last night we were in our living room, and I was telling my boyfriend about a job posting I saw to work at the front desk at a church, that was offering a really high salary. We were laughing about what an odd placement we would both be if we worked there because he is from a Muslim culture and I am not religious. All of a sudden Tiny got up and started growling and barking at the corner in the dining room, his tail was tucked in, his hackles were up and when I stood up to see if maybe there was a bug on the wall, or a strange noise coming from the fish tank, he jumped in front of me and wouldn't let me move. He was freaking out just like Layah did before we had him. This time my boyfriend and I both got a really bad feeling, because it was a repeat of the same thing that happened to Layah (she was not in the house last night). My boyfriend was really freaked out, because in his culture this is a very bad omen. I stayed calm because what good would it do to panic? I asked whatever it was to leave and told it that it was not welcome here if it had plans to hurt anyone (I read somewhere that is what you should do). We left the house to get some air and pick up some herbs to burn from his mother's house, when he walked into her door he had spiders on his arms (2 little black ones). When we went back to our house, there was a coyote just sitting in our parking lot looking at us. Maybe these are all just a coincidences, but it was a lot in one night.

What do you think it is?

What should I do about it? Are there charms, herbs or incense I can place around our house to keep whatever it is out?

I really have no idea what I should do about this, any suggestions?

It seems like whatever this is, it's aiming at me, both dogs were trying to protect me, should I be worried?

Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ecsv, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

alien11able (9 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-24)
Move from the neighborhood! If it is not a paranormal situation you're in, seeking a different place to live will remedy your problem. If you are plagued by the supernatural, then spirits can sometimes follow you and moving with not help. Seek the help of the Church then! This really does work!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-14)
ecsv,
I'm just checking back into see if everything has calmed down in your apartment and with your dogs.
I had another idea about this but since you haven't returned, I'll take that as a good sign and just set that idea aside for now.
Here's hoping things are resolved. And thanks again for sharing.

Jav
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-27)
Thank you for sharing your story. If you do not want spirits lingering, you can try a few of the things below.

1. You already took the first step in asking it to leave. You did your part by being polite, and that's an excellent start.

2. Open up the windows, burn some white candles (scented if you like, a smell that you enjoy works well) or incense, any kind will work but I hear lavendar especially. Let the house air out for a while to push out the negative energy.

3. Some have recommended sprinkling holy water around the areas that see the most activity. That may work, especially if you have access to it from the church where you were looking for employment. If you don't feel comfortable with that, you can burn a bundle of white sage and walk around the house letting the smoke permeate every room.

4. Sit in the middle of the house or room where the activity seems to be strongest and close your eyes. This might sound funny but it is both a relaxing technique and a shielding one. Clear your mind, get comfortable, and envision a warm white light radiating from your heart and spreading outward around you. Envision it filling every room in the house and expanding outward. As you do this, tell any wayward spirits that they are not welcome in your home and that they must leave if they are going to harass the family (including your pets).

5. Try doing a few things that really inspire some positive energy into the atmosphere. Play a few games, watch a comedy or feel-good movie, listen to some music, dance around like a silly fool and just hvae a good time. Throw a party if you can! The more positive you bring in, the more negative gets pushed out.

I hope this works for you... One of our resident posters, Rookdygin, usually has some of the best advice when it comes to this kind of thing. You should be able to find him on here if you need more help than this. Please let us know what happens.
buffyrestinpiece (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-26)
maybe you should call TAPS to see if they could give you advice. 😁
champion (3 stories) (172 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-07-26)
I do believe that animals can sense spirits. I have to ask since your a dog lover such as myself, have you had a pet die within the past couple years? I had one that died last year and her spirit has been coming around often. We never see her only feel what she is doing like climbing on the bed or lunging into the side of my chair and scratching at the side of it to get my attention or hear her toenails on the kitchen floor as she crosses it and if we call her name we can hear her dancing in circles like she did when she was alive, that's how we know its her and our new dog won't come into a room she is in. Anyways just throwing that out there.

Champion
Vikstal (4 stories) (64 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-26)
I don't think the coyote or the spiders have anything to do with it.
Also the dogs might be alert cause it's a new place and they're hearing new sounds.
Plus, two of our dogs always lay down on their backs expecting someone to rub their bellies.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-26)
ecsv,
Aaaw, my favorite subject! Dogs, man's best friend. I completely agree with you about them rolling on their backs, Saint Bernard's are another large breed that do not tend toward that type of physical behavior. You mentioned they were service dogs, which is very interesting in that service dogs are encouraged into enhancing there natural instincts during their training, as opposed to most household pets who are almost forced to suppress it. That being said, your dogs are displaying there discomfort with whatever has found it's way into your home and have given it ample warning to back off. Your instincts seem to have hit the mark also, and whatever it was/is now knows just where you stand.
Hopefully your actions thus far have been sufficient to send this traveler on it's way. Have there been any disturbances since the last one mentioned, that have you worried?

Jav

To me, coyotes are always a good sign. Unless they get into the garbage 😉
brlvg5 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-25)
I'm curious, did you all have the painting before the very first incident with Layah occurred outside? If not, then I don't think it's linked to the painting. It would be much more likely that the spirit is linked to the property that your apartment complex is built on, or your sister may be trying to tell you something but having difficulty making herself clear. Not that it has anything to do with your relationship, but when I had a relationship that wasn't the healthiest the spiritual activity spiked in my home (radios randomly turning on, lights turning on and off, etc.). I think it was my Nana trying to tell me she didn't like this guy (and yes, my great danes would go about barking or growling at walls in the middle of night because of the activity). As soon as I dumped the not-so-great guy, the activity ceased completely. I'm just saying that it could be your sister trying to point you down a certain path in life or something.
Madyrina (68 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-25)
Hmm...since you mentioned the painting, why don't you try an experiment, move the painting to another room or out of the house and see if the activity subsides? I would keep up the charms, herbs,incenses, atleast until you have some type of answer.
ecsv (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-25)
Yeah I don't think it's the Coyotes, because it always happens around the same time at night. They are also Mastiffs and they end not to roll on there backs like that because of their weight. The behavior that they exhibit when this happens is 100% out of character for both of them as service dogs. It happened again last night, right after my boyfriend left the house to pick up his mother at the airport. This time the dogs were running after something in the house. I politely asked whatever it was to leave, and they stopped barking within 60 seconds. I don't really feel threatened as much as I find it odd and wonder why this spirit keeps showing up. Maybe it needs something? I am not very good at this kind of stuff, although it does not frighten me like it does others. My boyfriend did just come back from Morocco, and I am wondering if maybe one of the gifts he brought back may have something to do with it...? They tend to always go to the corner in the dinning room where we hung a painting he brought back. Maybe that is it?
generalchaos (2 stories) (141 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-07-25)
It may not even be a ghost. Our dog does the same "rolling around on her back like someone is scratching it" business, about five minutes after we get home from taking her on a walk. Sometimes after we give her treats.

If you are in an area that has coyotes, it's possible that either or both of your dogs are hearing some noise the coyotes are making. They have much, much better hearing and an incredible sense of smell - it wouldn't take much - and something like that would certainly set off your dogs' protective instincts.

Now, if you want to keep coyotes from wandering into your yard, that's an entirely different subject. Wolf urine is supposed to work, and even though your pups are big ones, keep an eye on them when they go outside.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: