You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Growing Up In A Strange House

Real Ghost Stories

Growing Up In A Strange House

 

My story isn't normal, then again nothing in my life ever seems that normal...

I grew up in a small village (Carcroft) on the outskirts of a small town (Doncaster) in South Yorkshire, England. The street I lived on was normal for the times, not much money and everyone doing what they could to survive.

Me and my mum and my sister lived in a three bedroomed brick built house, we were happy but we had a few problems.

The first one was the Sunday routine, every Sunday we would take down some ornaments from the wall and polish them, brass plates my mum loved but my dad hated them. We'd spend an hour polishing them to brightness again after a week in a room with an open coal fire (that should tell you how old I am). Anyway we'd finish and put them back up with the special rings on the back to a flat wall with proper holders. Within an hour they'd be on the floor again. Having rocked themselves off the wall, they'd do it just out of sight, so you could see them rocking back and forth, and then they'd flick themselves off entirely. Eventually my mum got the message and left them off the wall entirely. My dad died in the house you see, had a brain embolism and fell down the stairs head first.

Thing was he kept coming back up the stairs to see if we were all right, I remember seeing his feet under the door of my room (I shared with my mum), I thought it was her, heard the footsteps coming up the stairs and looked for her to open the door, she didn't. I saw two large feet under the door making shadow shapes and then they just faded away, I never felt afraid because I knew it was dad.

We had cold spots, strange smells, names called out, things moving, all sorts but it never frightened me and they still don't today. I moved out of the house when I was thirteen, my mother died and we got passed to relatives to look after. But I'll never forget the ghosts who helped bring me up, I think I'm a much happier and more balanced person because of them.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ghost_hare_22, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-07-27)
ghost_hare_22,
You are absolutely right dear. You're a much happier and more balanced person because of them.
Thank you so much for sharing these wonderful and touching memories with the rest of us. You've written a tender and loving account that has surely made your parents proud.

Jav ❤ ❤ ❤
champion (3 stories) (172 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-26)
I remember using brasso to polish brass as a kid. I thought it was neat to bring a shine back to something dull. I wonder if your Dad hated the plates because he didn't like shining them? It was his way of letting you know it was him for sure.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-26)
ghost_hare_22: Sorry about the loss of your father. A nice kind of old fashion haunting this is I enjoyed it. It is good to hear that you embraced this side of things and learned to live with them in harmony. Even though he didn't approve of the brass plates. 😊

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-26)
I actually think it's kind of cute that your dad still insisted the plates on the wall were NOT to his liking even in the after life!

It's nice he kept a caring watch over you all 😊
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-25)
ghost hare 22--It's evident none of your family had difficulties accepting the intent of the invisible hands (and feet) throughout your early life, and it's a grand affirmation you give at the end of your account. We do live on. Cheers.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: