You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunted Beach Party

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted Beach Party

 

As a teenager I was always into Halloween and all the fun that surrounds that occasion. In High school I had a group of friends that I always had such a great time hanging out with. We lived in Amherstburg Ontario Canada. (It's a small historic town just 20mins south of Windsor/Detroit) The town is a very popular hot spot for all sorts of paranormal and other odd activities. We had a lot of fun exploring these known places. Because of the wars and the history of the area it is almost impossible to walk aground and not be standing in either an old battle field or ancient Indian graveyard. After a series of bad events that scared the wits out of us, we all stopped. It has been a long time since then and I am enjoying the opportunity to tell our stories of what happened to us.

In this event we were actually not looking for any trouble or even remotely investigating any paranormal activity. We had a recent bad brush with a Ouija board and all the scary stuff was off the itinerary. (for those of you who have read about my Ouija board experience. This was just after our first sΓ©ance in the basement and our first scare.)

During the fall the lake was ideal for swimming in. Believe it or not Lake Erie was clean at that time. To have fun we would often go to a nearby beach and party. This particular beach is about 8 minutes south of Amherstburg and is at the transition point where Detroit River dumps out into Lake Erie. The land cuts into a shallow bay and the water is only about 6 ft deep for as far out as 100-150 feet.

This area is a wooded area that is a land dam between the inland swamps and Lake Erie. It consists of a wall of dirt with a path on top. To the north is a large flood plain / forest and swamp. To the south is an old forest with a sandy floor that leads to the beach.

The actual beach was narrow, only about 40-60 feet wide at its widest point and in some areas the forest would end right at the surf. This area is famous for its shifting sandbars and its changing tide. Twice a year the tide will pull out leaving a 60 to 100 foot exposed shoreline. Then the surf will come rushing in and in a matter of minutes return to the original level.

The beach/forest area was about a mile long and broken into 4 separated areas by large stone jetties. This made several smaller alcoves along the shoreline where you would have isolated beaches. It was on these beaches that we would have our parties. It was the perfect place, it was very isolated and for me a modern day Eden. The trees were large and had low hanging branches and the forest had a bounty of wild raspberries, strawberries and grapes. I had been going to this place for years without any kind of paranormal trouble. But this place had a very significant history.

This beach has always been the Washout area for anything floating downstream in the Detroit river. As a kid each year there would be 2 or 3 bodies that would wash ashore just after winter thaw. We had many things wash ashore there; some of my favourites were clusters of giant trees that broke free and created floating islands of roots, some were very large and could be tied off to a land tree and played with as your own floating tree fort or swimming platform. Once after a great storm a large 35ft wooden yacht got caught in the shallows between a sandbar and the shore. It was a marvellous ghost ship. (no ghosts on board just looked like one) It was made from wood and probably from the 40s or 50s. It had a tug boat look with a top cabin and captain's deck on top. (If you have ever watched the original movie Jaws you will know what it looks like. It was almost identical to the boat at the end)

This boat had been sunk many years ago and had been under water for a long time. It was full of zebra mussels and the paint was flaking off the wood. The recent storm and currents must have moved the boat into the shallows and then it popped back up. (I am not a nautical man but I have been told that old wooden boats have been known to rise from the bottom of the lake to the surface and take on float again under the right conditions) The boat stayed for about a week and was gone again in the next storm. Needless to say that beach area was a place where in the past that many ships were washed up onto. Very close to this area is a rock shoal in the lake that is famous for sinking maritime ships. Local lore has it that the dead bodies find themselves washed up on the beach and their spirits never leave.

This particular event happened in the early fall. We had buried our alcohol stash in the surf to keep it cool and returned later at night to party. We had a small fire and "camp area" and all had a blast. But this night was different than others. It was a very dark night and the normal forest sounds of birds and crickets were silent. Even the moon was orangey and dim. We started off with 6 of us and we were listening to music. After awhile we all set out to find areas appropriate for a ladies room, and another for the men. This is when we had our first indication that something was wrong. Finding a discrete place for the washroom required us to journey into the forest a little deeper than typical. The forest ground was mostly sand and walking in it produced a very soft sound. Only on occasion would you step on a dry leaf or brush a low hanging bush and actually make a sound. The forest was fairly thick but did not have much underbrush so it was easy to navigate. Once you moved away from the beach the gentle sound of the night surf disappeared. This is also where the forest would feel very surreal. The air was fresher and crisper and the moonlight filtered through the tree tops producing a candle light atmosphere. This was a very romantic place normally... (funny how most of the elements that make a place romantic also can also make it so scary)

This night the area was also full of dark shadowed areas where this dim moon light would not penetrate. There were 3 of us guys navigating the night forest. We were all fairly stout boys that had all had backgrounds in scouts and camping (and for the most part very sensible) We were not easily bothered by the "spookiness" of being in a forest at night. But I remember a few comments about the how eerie the night was under the odd moon and how the girls must be very scared. (being that they were also alone in another part of the forest) I remember we did have a brief chuckle over the idea of scaring them... But we knew that would not lead to a "good night" so we behaved.

Being guys we found our bathroom fairly quickly... As any bush would do. I think we actually made the effort to find a discreet location really only because the girls seemed offended by the gesture of us taking a leak in the surf or on nearby bush. So we pretended to be civilized and found our location. After completing our business we started to return to the camp site. On the way back to the beach we all thought we heard footsteps close behind us. We immediately suspected the girls of the same prank idea that we entertained earlier. But with a little investigation we could not find anyone. Then the footsteps seemed to follow us to the camp area. One of my friends called out to the girls to see where they were. They were of course still occupied and their voices came from the other side of the forest. They were all shouting because they were issuing us warnings not to come looking for them. So we could account for all the girls and we knew it was not them behind us in the bush. Immediately I thought that it was another kid from the neighbourhood or some prankster or worse some misfit looking for trouble. So we all grabbed a thick branch and took a quick walk to flush out anyone in the area. After a few minutes we did not find anything and even the sand showed no traces of another person's foot prints. So we returned to the fire and started drinking. The Girls eventually arrived back at the campfire and we all started to drink again. All was going to return to normal, but one of the girls asked if we had anyone follow us in the forest. The girls agreed that someone had followed them too.

This was too weird and too coincidental to happen to all of us. So the party was off and we were set to find our mystery person who was lurking in the woods. In our alcohol induced genius we figured we use the girls as bait... We left one of my guy friends there to complete the picture and I and my other friend quietly slipped into the forest and circled around to ensnare our would-be stalker. Well it took some time and eventually I got in behind the campfire area and settled myself in the dark shadows. I was actually behind a very large willow tree and could see the campfire glow through the trees in front of me. I could hear the girls and guy talking. I scanned the forest in front of me looking for an outline of our stalker. But nobody was there.

Now standing out in the dark forest alone looking for a mysterious person gets one to thinking... Who is hunting who? I started to second guess the plan... Perhaps the stalker was on to our plan and had noticed us sneaking off in the woods and was now behind me watching me looking for him. (hope that makes sense)

Well let's just say alcohol and logic do not mix well. (thinking back I was a brave but stupid kid. Who knows what animals a person would run into in a night forest or even some kind of sicko... Who knows!)

Well not knowing if our stalker was in front or behind me I decided to brake from the plan and lay down and creep along the forest floor on my belly very slowly to relocate to a "better" hiding spot. I moved into the deepest dark area and noticed that the ground was holding a small whiff of fog in among the trees. I figured I was as deep as it gets, any further and I would be moving into the swamps to the north. I settled in for a few silent moments. After a while there was just nothing there, so I decided to go back to the campsite. As I stood up and set myself to walk towards the camp area; a dark face appeared looking straight into my face. I stumbled back to see a shadowy figure hanging down from the tree I was sat under. He was watching me. He was crawling down the tree but not moving... He had noticed that I saw him and was not moving. I remember I could see him as clear as the tree. For a second I was frozen... I knew what I was looking at but I could not convince my body to react like I wanted to. I wanted to run but I could not move. After the longest second I was able to move my legs and start moving off towards the camp. I quickly moved into the brightest areas of the forest that would make a path back to the beach. As a moved I tried to keep the shadow in view, but he quickly disappeared. But I soon started to see him looking out from behind other trees and I soon realized that there was more than one shadow in that forest. As I made it into the discreet areas I was in pretty much a full run. I hadn't realized but the beach and camp area was silent. My friends were not making any sounds. Suddenly the girls started to scream. The campfire was put out. The forest became darker. I ran towards where I remembered the campfire light to be. I caught the image of my other friend who had been scouting in the forest as he bolted past the brush and into the open beach. We both looked around and could not see the others. We quickly found them, as they were all some distance down the shoreline. They were waving to us to catch up. (Which we did) They were yelling that they could all see shadows moving in the forest and that we needed to get out of there.

To leave this beach would require us to walk back through the forest to the land dam and then along it to the road. None of us could bring ourselves to go back into the forest; especially now that the fog was moving in quickly from the trees. Even the lake had fog moving in from it. We knew we were going to be trapped in the fog if we did not get out quickly. But we were not going to go into the forest.

We were all very scared and made a semi desperate break for the water. The water was not deep, but it was very cool. We moved along the waterfront until we passed the forest and came to the shore line in front of the first house on the street. We climbed up the rock wall and ran across their yard and back to our cars parked at the road. Even as we left the car's headlights light up the fog and we could see things moving in the fog.

I think we all really wanted to contribute this event to the alcohol... Even though we did not consume very much at the time.

We considered this a 7 on our scary shiat meter. (Making it one of the scariest things we had seen up until that point) We did not think it at the time but I am sure it was connected to the Ouija board incident we had. (The Ouija board from Hell broke the scary meter rankings and stopped all of our investigations.)

Other hauntings by old_dude

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, old_dude, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

old_dude (16 stories) (112 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-09-29)
Lauren you are correct... When I was going there the beach was almost 100ft from the tree line. The water was clear enough to see the bottom waist deep and we could swim out 200ft from shore stand on sand bars and have a blast... I still live in the area. And occasionally visit it. It is a shame that they bull dozed the beach, stone piers and old tree line. The place is recovering but it is a slow process. When I was really young I was chased by a pack of coyotes who were tracing me like wolves from the swamp side. Scared the hell out of me. We now have Coy-dogs large blonde coyote dogs that have moved back in to the swamp. They look like a gold shepherd/lab mix but they are about 90-120lbs (very big) and have an extra long tail. Be careful down there.
LaurenAKK (7 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-07-13)
Sorry I'm 5 years too late to this party! I grew up in Amherstburg; lived there since I was 4 in 1999. I wasn't entirely sure about the beach you were talking about here but the more I read, the more I was sure that it's the beach we call "the Dyke". Not sure why it's called that. I never went to parties there because they always got busted. I went down there not too long ago with my two dogs to go for a walk. There's like a pond inside the forest about 20 ft from the beach. I was standing down there and my dog started staring at something in the trees. His fur was all standing up on his back and he was growling. I heard branches move and got a little freaked out. My dog doesn't normally get all defensive like that. I kept saying his name but he didn't look away. I was sure it was just some sort of animal but after reading this story, I'd like to think it was something else!
old_dude (16 stories) (112 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-18)
I am back...
Glad to see you all are still here!
I am sorry I have been gone for so long.
I will explane... And yes I still have some old stories to share...
VermontVampyre (2 stories) (64 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-05)
Holy cripes thank god I read this in the middle of the day. Otherwise I'd probably be needing a change of pants.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-11)
Dang it old_dude!
Two more months will make it a year since you've been back. Where the heck are you friend? At least come by and answer to the latest comments, anything.

Miss you pal,
Jav 😒
curiousDevu (10 stories) (45 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-30)
Scared the s--t out of me!😨
[at] Old dude
You have a gift for story telling man, you provided an extraordinarily detailed account of the event. The fog, a beach at night, a dark forest just created the spooky atmosphere, looking forward to more stories from you.
Lots of love,
Devyani
Kuhlmad (3 stories) (57 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-15)
Awesome, I look forward to it! So many interesting reads on this site!

Thanks again Jav!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-15)
[at] Kuhlmad,
Any time friend! This one, especially, got me freaked out! I know where there are others as well. Let me know when you get done with these guys first. I don't want to load you up too much.

Jav πŸ˜‰
Kuhlmad (3 stories) (57 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-15)
Hey Jav, I been reading old_dude's stories as well, and I have been absolutely hooked. I feel like I'm reading a super interesting novel! I'm reading this story right now and going to read Louslip's stories as well. Thanks for the recommendations!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-15)
[at] angelus_crudus,
I noticed you're reading old dude's stories. If you haven't read this one yet, and you like to read the real scary stuff, this one will do it for you.
Trust me, never judge a story by it's title.
And when you finish these, look up Louslips' stories too. These two guys are worth the read.
If you do read Louslips, try to read them in the order they were written. Again, trust me on this.
You won't be disappointed.

Jav
Bonnie_13 (2 stories) (10 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-11)
wow, amazing story! Never heard anything quite like it. I'm so glad I wasn't there I would have been truly terrified. May not have been related to the Quija board experience however if the area is notorious for paranormal activity it quite likely could have been a seperate entity altogether.
Thanks for sharing 😁
old_dude (16 stories) (112 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-07)
Thanks quix,
Actually This event took place in the middle of the Ouija board experiance. So I figured they were related and it all did go away once the board was dealt with.
quixoticqt (5 stories) (104 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-09-07)
😨
You are truly an excellent writer. I'm in ❀love with your stories and if you did write a book I think I would have to buy it. I don't buy books... I usually get them from the library. 😊

11/08/03 post:
Well, if you haven't taken care of yourself yet then it's probably from the ouija board. Entities have all the right to follow you where ever you may go. Once that door is closed then they won't EVER be able to follow you or enter your home anymore. Oh and if the priest knew how to bless the apartment then the entity wouldn't be able to set foot on that ground any longer, unless they store some sort of ouija board in there that some people go and use sometimes.
evilmonster (11 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-24)
This has got to be one of the scariest stories I have read on this site. Good thing you guys ran away.
old_dude (16 stories) (112 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-17)
Hi Michelle,
I am not an author.
I've just been sitting on these stories for a long time now and I am having fun reminiscing and telling them.
I am actually a Mechanical Engineer and live a rather boring life nowadays.
michellegoodrich (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-16)
you are an excellent writer! Very unique and I teresting stories. Are you an author?
old_dude (16 stories) (112 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-15)
HI James, You may not have been wrong about the paddle boat. There was was a year back in the late 80s that one of the ships needed repairs and was off for a season. Boblo hired a boat named the Southern Belle? It was a paddle boat from the Missippi. If I am remembering correctly. I think it was the St. Clair that was down. I can remeber seeing the paddle boat but I never was on it. It left from the Detroit docks and I always came from the Amherstburg docks. I also remember they had a welcome home party for the St. Clair the following season when the repairs were done.
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-13)
Old Dude--Read your story again and it really pumps the adrenaline.
Thanks for sharing the site address on Boblo, though it made me very sad, too. I can see I was mistaken about the paddlewheeler, but I remember how much fun we had on Boblo Island every year when I was growing up.
Thanks again.
Hexotericka (6 stories) (45 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-09)
old_dude, your two stories were very well-written and quite...unique. I very much enjoyed reading them. Your way with words made me feel like I was experiencing these events with you. Chilling!
old_dude (16 stories) (112 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-08-09)
Girlie: No problem... I was not offended.
THanks for reading my stories.
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-09)
Dang. I didn't mean any dissrepect for what I said people. Old_dude I did like your story, it was very creepy and cool.
Sorry if I hurt your feelings or mad anyone mad 😒
GIRLIE
old_dude (16 stories) (112 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-08)
I actually stumbled on this video of the place... Dam near brought tears to my eyes.
This will give you a good look at the old church (generator house) and the theater.
Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbRp7a9YoUY
old_dude (16 stories) (112 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-08)
I don't know about the paddle boat, or belle isle but I do know some of the stories of Boblo island. I will cover them with some of the pictures I will post. I did not get a chance this weekend, but hopefully I will next weekend.
The sight of the old buildings overgrown gives me such a sureal unearthly feel I simply have to share them. (If you remeber Boblo Island I am sure you will feel the same)
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-05)
Great story! Lake, camp fire, forest, dark eerie night, and creepy shadows all the elements that make for one hair raising experience. This is going right into my fav's. 😊
huendchen (49 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-05)
I had trouble sleeping last night because of this story... I don't know how you do it. Very scary shiat. Thank you for this story and your other story - they both made me very scared and even more determined to never touch a ouija board!
hippiechick83 (5 stories) (112 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-08-04)
This was by far one of the best and scariest stories I have read lately... Holy crap dude! Hahaha That was awesome!
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-04)
Old Dude--Your Ouija board story was terrific, and this one too--so vivid with detail--and now you promise one about Bob-Lo? Gurr-reat! I grew up in Detroit and went to Bob-Lo often, so I know your references. Anything occur on the paddle-wheeler boat over? How about Belle Isle?
Your children must love to hear you tell these tales.
~ James
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-04)
old_dude,
You have to bring back pictures and video of that place. I've already pictured in mind, now it's just a matter of seeing how close it matches up. 😊
I hope you find some paranormal evidence while your at it, not to jinx you or anything, but it is what we love here.

Jav
old_dude (16 stories) (112 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-04)
The church and the theater still look sound. They are locked up but I do not think it would take much effort to get into them. The theater building is architectually beautiful and the inside use to have beautiful carvings. It is a full size threater building capable of holding a lot of people. It has a balcony section and left/right box seats.
It is so weird to see them now. The old cobblestone road is gone and is just a thin dirt path and the trees and bushes have overgrown the area. The old fountain foundation is still there but all the statues and the fountain itself are all gone. Very exciting but so unreal.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-03)
Pretty random message alright. A more appropriate place for it would probably be your profile. JS.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: