You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A Party That Never Ends

Real Ghost Stories

A Party That Never Ends

 

I'm back after such a long absence. Hello everyone on YGS! It's been years! Last time I published a story here I was a teenager and I never really came back to write other stories, even though I've had a few more experiences since then.

This story is more just a small little thing that happened. It's nothing big or dramatic, I just think it's an interesting thing to see on a seemingly average day.

I was in New York City and going on a haunted tour where you walk around and hear ghost stories from your tour guide. Being into all things supernatural, I was loving hearing all these reports of spooky activity in the older parts of the city. We heard about terrible murders and the restless spirits that wander around the site of it to this day, we even saw one of the oldest graveyards in the city- I actually didn't see anything here but took pictures and I'm fairly certain you can see some ghostly faces looking out at us through the gates.

But it was on the famous Gay Street that I saw something. This street had been famous mainly in the 1920s because the mayor of the city (who was a big party animal) had a mistress who lived there and they would have parties there a lot. There have been reports of people seeing a man in a top hat strutting down the street with a cane, just as the actual mayor did in his life. How extra, I love it (haha)!

When I got to Gay Street, and heard all these things, I was quite excited. I love the 20s as a time period and I've heard a lot about this particular mayor so honestly, I was expecting to see him taking a casual stroll towards me. I didn't, of course. But I did see something else. When I turned to get another look at the house they had all used to party so often in, after looking around the street, I saw as clear as anything, an arm in the window.

It was bent at an angle like it was dancing, almost like that "Walk Like an Egyptian" dance with the very clear turned out wrist movement. It also looked like a shadow or a silhouette, which I thought was kind of strange but it was incredibly clear despite that. I just saw the arm moving a bit for what was probably just a couple of seconds and then when I went to tell someone else I'd seen it, I looked back and it was gone.

I never really get scared when I see things like this, it's more like an excited feeling most of the time so I was kind of hyped up about it all. I took lots of pictures of the house from the outside but I didn't see any arms or anything. I thought I might've seen an orb but I think it was just the way the light was reflecting.

However, a couple of months later I was showing my friend some pictures and telling her the story when she said she could see something. She zoomed in to the top floor window of the house and slightly faintly I could see what appeared to be a man's face looking out at where I would've been standing. He looked like some sort of captain and was wearing that sort of hat. We checked all the photos and he's actually on most of them, moving around a bit because of the angle, I suppose. It's so weird because I had looked at those pictures so many times and I hadn't seen anything at all. I guess sometimes you need a fresh set of eyes to find things when you're too immersed in looking for an arm.

I sometimes wonder how many spirits there are in that house and why they chose to stay there. Honestly, if I could spend my afterlife having a big party night after night, I think I would too. Seems like a very "of the day" way of doing things. I didn't get a feeling that there was anything bad in the house, either. It just seems like a big party that never has to end.

Other hauntings by cocoloco1234

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, cocoloco1234, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-02-13)
Greetings, cocoloco.

The arm position you describe could well be a backwards rock-step during the Charleston, which was popular in the early '20s. Just a thought.

Best,
Biblio.
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-02-13)
Wow! How great would it be to spend eternity in one big party! Honestly, the only thing funner than that would be able to choose to whom among the living you would share your experience with!
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-02-11)
Hello cocoloco,

My idea is that the spirits in the house are residual and that might have been the reason that you didn't feel any "menace" in the vicinity. In my opinion, a true earthbound spirit that knows what it's doing will not have interactions with other spirits on earth - not the way that we have interactions with each other as living people. I think being earthbound is something of a "private Hell" for many spirits. So, residual haunt is what I am leaning to.

I may be focusing on the wrong things here. It is an interesting account and I would like to echo lady-glow's request to see the pictures that you have described.

Thank you for sharing this; I am also interested in the 1920's.

- Maria
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2020-02-11)
It seems like you had a very eventful tour, not only witnessing visual phenomena but getting it on film.

Could you please share the pictures?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: