You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: My Sleep Paralysis Experience

Real Ghost Stories

My Sleep Paralysis Experience

 

While visiting my grandfather in Florida, I went through the most frightening experience of my life. At roughly 3am, I was awakened by my mother knocking on my grandpa's door, claiming she was having trouble breathing; they shortly departed for the nearest hospital. Alone, and unable to sleep, I laid down on the couch waiting for them to return.

At around 4am, very suddenly, I felt the cushion being pushed down right behind my back, as if somebody had sat down. At that moment, I felt a pair hands touch my back, and I was pushed up against the back of the couch. I tried to move, but soon realized I couldn't move at all. My body felt as if it was being burned from the inside out, and when I tried to scream for help, I only choked. I got the overwhelming feeling that I was going to die. I glanced up and saw an electrically bright blue rectangular shape in the corner of the room.

As suddenly as it began, it was finished. The whole experience lasted only about 1-2 minutes, but I was too petrified to move until the sun came up. I went on the computer and found this site, and identified my experience to relate closely to what many call sleep paralysis. I haven't been able to sleep well since, due to the fear that it will happen again. I am very interested in talking to other people who had this happen to them, and believe it to be paranormal and not just medical.

Also, I think that this has happened to me once before about 4 months ago, when I was in my own bed. But I had dismissed it as a dream, because I could hear the sound of a distressed cat, and loud, rushed footsteps. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, michellegoodrich, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

daretoeatapeach (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-09)
Hi Michelle,

I work with an artist whose sculptures are based on his own Bangungot/Night Hag/sleep paralysis visions. We were talking the other day and thought it would be cool to start a page with other people's sleep paralysis experiences. Will you give permission to share your story on his site? The site is greenstonearts.net.

If anyone else has sleep paralysis stories they wouldn't mind sharing, please let me know. You can email me directly at daretoeatapeach <AT> gmail.
Fulsworld (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-16)
I don't know everyone, I think we may be onto something here with the sleep paralysis/attacks... Since the story page is down right now I'll try to sum up my point here... I've had the same exact experiences where I didn't remember falling asleep (and it usually takes me awhile to fall asleep anyway) I just remember what seemed like a weird dream where I couldn't move and when I tried to force myself to, I caught a glimpse of a small figure with a round, pale face that looked to be grinning at me menacingly. I tried to wake up my boyfriend by piching his arm but he didn't wake up and the next day he had no marks and said he never felt or heard anything. Right before this experience ended I told this 'thing' to STOP in my head and brought an image of Jesus to my mind. It stopped after that but right before I could sit up I heard a deep, distorted, raspy voice say 'Sooorrrryyyy', and then I sat up and felt fine like there was nothing there anymore. I was definitely scared but thought if I brought Jesus' face to my mind it might help and it did. If anyone has any more info on this please please please let me know. I don't need any more 'demons' in my life...
Davidpsalm234 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-20)
Michelle, As far as I am concerned, sleep paralysis usually occurs whenever I sleep late at night. I can't distinguish whether it was due to physical or paranormal disturbances. I usually had this creepy feeling while I struggled to flee myself during that 1/2 minutes moment. Posters please comment...
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-08-20)
Well, good story here, michellegoodrich. I have never experienced sleep paralysis, and frankly, I would not ever want to. But, I do believe that it is a mixture of medical and paranormal activity. Like some of the other posters have pointed out, what is the deal with the blue rectangle? Very interesting.
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
Indigo (263 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-20)
I have never experienced a blue glowing rectangle, I have, however experienced beings with glowing green eyes. Peridot colored green. I've read the other experience with the glowing blue rectangle. Is this story yours, as well? I'd like to know how many other people have experienced the blue rectangle or green eyes? Since I've not heard of either, just seemed a good idea to ask everyone here.
ngute80 (220 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-18)
Very scary story. I definitely believe what you experienced was paranormal. I had one sp experience in the past and I know for fact it was paranormal. Thanks for sharing
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-18)
If you get paralyzed again, try biting your tongue. The pain from such will short circuit the part of your brain that keeps you from moving during such episodes, and allow you to move.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-18)
bacchaegirl, I was thinking the same thing. Very short time frame for two very similar stories to pop up. I wonder if we have the beginnings of another phenomenon on our hands.
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-18)
I hope your mother was alright. This is the second time in a very short period that someone mentioned a blue rectangular shape in regards to a haunting. In the other story, it was thought to be a door to another dimension. Your case may be the same, but in your story the other dimension was trying to make contact with you; whether it be the other side, or just a parallel dimension, I couldn't tell you. I can only imagine how scary that would be. It might be a classic example of sleep paralysis, but maybe, because of your vision, it could be something else. Do you have a cat? Could you tell me more about this distressed cat sound? Do you often hear footsteps in your house, or was this a one time thing?
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-18)
Hi and thanks for sharing. I have experienced a lot of sleep paralysis in the past but not everything experienced is sleep paralysis. I suspect it was because you were probably upset when you fell asleep, knowing that your mom and grandpa were at the hospital. With that on your mind, it is easy to be restless and experience sleep paralysis. I would see if anything else happens to you. Also, it is true that if you eat a lot before going to sleep, you can have a restless sleep. Good luck.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: