You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Strong Spirit

Real Ghost Stories

Strong Spirit

 

This is my second story entry and I must admit that it belongs to my husband, but I feel the need to let you all in on it as it's pretty amazing!

Years ago my husband lived in an old century home in Kingston with three other friends of his from Queens University. The rent was unusually cheap for some reason, but they obviously had no complaints. So to give you a bit of the lowdown, my husband had his bedroom upstairs with Jeff and Ian, Greg slept in the main floor bedroom and Chris had his room in the half-finished basement.

Three weeks or so into them living there my husband and the guys noticed that Greg had been spending a lot of nights sleeping on the couch so they asked him why and he just shrugged and said he just didn't like the bed he was sleeping on and was having bad dreams. Soon after my husband started to have horrible nightmares and would find the door to his room open in the morning when he would have it closed at night. The nightmares got worse...

One night he was lying in bed somewhere in between sleep and awake and would feel something enter the room like a cool breeze. Soon after that he would feel this horrible weight on his chest and would wrestle this dark shadowy figure until he pulled it off and it would then leave through the door. (I've heard of this before, but not sure what it is). This was the only time he truly recollected what had happened to him in his sleep in great detail which explained the door being open in the mornings as well as the extreme fatigue he would wake up with.

He then felt the need to speak again with Greg to find out what kind of "bad dreams" he was having. Greg was pleasantly surprised that he wasn't the only one with these horrible night terrors, but freaked out all the same. They confronted Ian, Jeff and and Chris to found out that Jeff and Ian were having the EXACT same experiences, except Chris (the basement guy) seemed to be the only one unaffected. They were all pretty freaked out, but kept with the same routine and just tried not to think about it.

About a month later my husband went downstairs to the basement to do his laundry in the middle of the afternoon with people upstairs hanging out in the living room. As he turned to go up the stairs after putting his clothes in the washer he was grabbed by something... Something not of this world and was holding on to him like a big bear hug, as he would describe it, making him unable to move. He struggled with it for about 5-10 seconds and eventually got free and ran up the stairs for dear life. Put it this way... He was now a full-blown believer!

That's when all the guys, apart from Chris started sleeping together in the living room - four fully grown men! It was quite a large living room with three couches and a love seat so it wasn't cramped, but it was the safest room in the house as the nightmares stopped when they started sleeping in there. They were going to ride it out until the end of the semester come hell or high-water! Well, until the last thing happened anyway.

This old two story house had a large porch that wrapped around the front and one side of the house. Once you go through the front door you're in the landing of a large winding staircase with Greg's old room to the right (used to be a library). You can run circles around the staircase by heading left into the living room and then through the dining room then the kitchen back into the landing at the front door. Chris's room in the basement had old shag carpeting that would prohibit him from closing his bedroom door so it was always left open. In fact it was impossible. The staircase leading to the basement came from the kitchen across from the sink. So if you were at the sink the door way would be behind you. This door was taken off the hinges years ago so essentially was just an opening to the basement stairs. Perhaps there was a reasoning behind this.

My husband was home alone on a rainy weekday afternoon with all of his roommates in class. He was at the sink doing dishes when all of a sudden he hears a loud BANG coming from the basement behind him. He was frozen stiff. He kept telling himself to run, but couldn't move his feet as his body was washed over by tremendous fear. Eventually he shut the water off and turned around. That's when he saw that Chris's door was now, incredibly, shut tight. This is the only time he had seen that door shut since they moved in and there was nobody in the house. No animals either.

He ran right out of the house in his boxers and bare feet (this was a cold day in April) and called Jeff from the phone booth up the road and told him to get home right away. As soon as Jeff arrived not at all doubting my husband that something ghostly had happened they went in to the house together and walked down the stairs to Chris's room and there it was... The door was shut tight indeed and the wood had split about 18" long 4" away from the door knob. Old doors are made from pretty solid wood so this spirit was definitely powerful!

My husband and the guys moved out three days later and all of them, including Chris, slept in the living room until they did.

Thank you for reading.

Other hauntings by mellybarr

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, mellybarr, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-22)
I'm not one to generally have nightmares. So, having consistent nightmares probably would have driven me to say, "Heck with this! I'm out of here!" Even if I had decided to stay, being grabbed like your husband was would have been the last straw. Not having family and only a few personal belongings, I'd have been out! Especially 20 years ago.

Now, on the other hand, I own a house and have other people to consider. Sure, I might have some fear if something like that happened, but I'd also be quite angry. I'd stand my ground and tell it to leave. I'd also use Rook's Ritual (TM) and keep doing it and telling it to get the hell out until it finally backed down and left.
mellybarr (4 stories) (46 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-07)
He simply knew something was definitely going on when he saw his door. After they pried it open with a sledgehammer to get his stuff out, he had plans to move into the living room. Perhaps he never had any experiences prior because he usually spent the night at his girlfriends place.

I talked to my Husband last night and he wasn't sure he remembered the right address so we looked it up on Google Street view and it wasn't the place. He thinks it might be the right street though. Perhaps they rebuilt. It was about 20 years ago. Sorry: (
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-06)
great post 😊
Like jav I thought sleep paralysis until all but one were experiencing the same thing!
Thats freaky, was wondering though did chris ever say anything else about not using the bassment room?
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-06)
Wow! If that entity was strong and mean enough to run 4 grown men out of the house, then I can't imagine anyone being able to live there. No wonder why the rent was so cheap. If it was able to slam a door so hard that the wood split, who knows what else it was capable of. Good thing they moved. 😨
mellybarr (4 stories) (46 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-06)
Thanks for your comments guys. I've asked my husband to tell this story many times, but I've never asked him any details about the house which is strange seeing as how I'm a very detail-oriented person.

I shall ask him tonight and find out more info!

Thanks again!
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-05)
Indeed that sounds like a lot of strength was required to shut that door, that is pretty intense. As Jav has already mentioned, I like the fact they all were experiencing something to do with this spirit, this would have been a relief to all that lived there I bet! Did they ever find out any history of the home or land at all, and who or what was responsible for these events?

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-05)
mellybarr,
Thanks for the fright! I like the way they all decided to stick together for the duration of their stay. Not like the movies you see where they just keep ignoring what is right in front of their face.
At first I thought we were hearing another experience of sleep paralysis, but when they all experienced the same phenomenon, plus you didn't say he was paralysed with fear, he had wrestled with it. That's different.
Thank you for sharing.

Jav
lynrinth (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-04)
Brrrr! Now that had to be a cold experience for your husband! No pun intended. Yeah, I would be out of there in a minute, too.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: