You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Brisk Walker

Real Ghost Stories

The Brisk Walker

 

It was a calm, bright sunny August day when my husband and I decided to take a walk down a community walking path we've never been on before. We often get bored of walking around our neighborhood and like to drive somewhere new from time to time.

This particular path started at the road then went in a loop at the end and back to the road again. If we had known it would be such a short walk we probably never would have gone. The path went along side a small brook and there were a lot of trees, but you were also aware of the fact that behind all that nature was a residential neighborhood. Anyway, as we were nearing the loop at the end we walked past an average-looking, middle aged Asian woman wearing a light greyish pink rain coat walking very slowly. I like to make eye contact and say hello when I pass a stranger, but this woman just kept her eyes on the path almost as if she were thinking hard about something so we just kept on without much thought other than a slight comment to my husband as to how I thought it strange how she was wearing a rain coat on such a nice day.

The Brisk Walker

As we started to round the loop we noticed a run down baseball diamond to our right and all of a sudden as if out of nowhere, the same woman is right in front of us with that same expression, looking down at the path. This is when I felt the chills. We tried to figure out how this woman who was walking very slowly could make it back and around that quickly. It would have been possible if she suddenly broke into a sprint, but she didn't look like she was the walk, then sprint, then walk type of person. My husband and I had a laugh about it then kept on our way. We went around the loop and I expected to see her come around the corner, but there was no sign of her which we thought was strange because judging by her pace she should have been crossing our path. As we headed back to the road about five minutes later my husband gasped and grabbed my arm, I looked up and there she was again! This time she was walking towards us! Ok, this time we KNEW this couldn't happen because she would have had to have passed us to be in that spot. As we got closer to her I had a really uneasy feeling as you can imagine. I was praying she wouldn't look up at us because this time I was afraid of what I would see. My husband didn't say anything and just held my hand tight as we passed her. She didn't even flinch wearing that same 'deep in though' expression. This time we both had the chills and looked back, almost afraid she would have disappeared, but there she was, still slowly walking away from us.

We never walked down that path again, but I still doubt myself sometimes and think she HAD to have been real - she looked so real, but I know it would have been impossible for her to have gotten in front of us without passing us.

Is it possible for ghosts to look like real people?

Thanks for reading.

Other hauntings by mellybarr

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, mellybarr, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

angelus_crudus (3 stories) (35 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-18)
I have heard many ghost stories where the ghosts look just like normal people, so it is intirley possible that she was a ghost who looked like a flesh and blood person. Thanks for sharing your story! Does this path have a specific name? I assume it is also in Kingston by your other story is that right? I spend some time in Kingston throughout the year and would love to have a walk around the loop. Cheers!
bizzjoe (1 stories) (162 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-06)
did this woman have any sisters I wonder...? Or it could have been a practical joke by some young people who are cosmetic or makeup artists... Which would be super cool... I wish I thought of it...
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-13)
mellybarr: Thank you for replying to the comments, a lot of the time on this website a great account like this is posted but the author never returns to answer the comments, thank you for this.
As Javelina has mentioned a living residual may be possible a Psychic imprint may have permeated this woman to constantly walk this track. For what ever reason it is you can 100% safely say that this lady has walked this track many times alive or dead.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

Dan
mellybarr (4 stories) (46 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-13)
Hey guys.

I've been looking all over on Google Maps for the location we were at to no avail until it dawned on me that I was looking in the wrong place! I finally found the trail and have some more pictures coming your way once they get approved.

There are a large number of bike trails that span aside the Don River. If you want to know more here is the link: http://www.biketrain.ca/toronto-hub/cycling-in-toronto/61-don-river-valley-trails

A few things though, and it's weird how people remember somethings well and others not so well... The real image of the trail will be slightly different from my initial drawing. The loop is much smaller than the drawing and the straight road is much longer and dog legged. The baseball diamond is much more significant as well, but I guess I was paying way more attention to what was happening with the woman that I guess the other details went askew. For that I apologize. I hope you get a clearer picture in your mind now thanks to these other photos. Or it might make you more confused. Lol!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-13)
mellybarr,
No, thank you for keeping us informed. I personally love this type of mystery. It's such a challenge unraveling the timeline and distances sometimes, but your diagrim and description of events has given us much to ponder. I can't wait to hear what happens on a return visit to the spot.

Jav 😊
mellybarr (4 stories) (46 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-13)
Jav - I've never heard of a 'living residual', but you may be right. Very interesting indeed.

Thank you for responding.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-13)
mellybarr,
She may still be a candidate as a residual, or a 'living residual'
Which we wouldn't really know without knowing if she has passed on or not.
Interesting...

Jav
mellybarr (4 stories) (46 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-13)
Hello everyone!

I'm soooo sorry, I've just got back from Mexico and I had no idea this would go up so quickly!

Thank you for all your comments and I'll try to answer all in this one comment.

First of all I didn't make contact with her as we walked by and didn't notice a breeze, but she must have been making footstep sounds in the dirt as I probably would have noticed once I started to get suspicious.

I have checked into the area (I should have mentioned), but couldn't find a thing on it that would constitute this possible residual haunting.

The twin thing is unlikely as she didn't look like the type that would be fooling around and playing games. She looked sad and lonely, also she had a kind of greyish completion as well.

I wish I had said something to her... If she only made eye contact I would have said hello. I regret it now, but by the time we clued in that she might be a ghost I was pretty terrified. I don't scare so easily in the afternoon on a nice day walking with my husband either.

Thank you for clearing up the fact that it's possible for a spirit to be as solid and real as she was. I now trust my gut and know in my heart that she was a ghost.

My husband (if I can convince him) and I will go back for another walk there a few more times to see if we can see her, but it's winter now so not sure if she'll still be there.

Thanks for all your comments.

I hope to have another story for you soon on this matter.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-13)
DARKNESS,
It was the seeing her three times, one after another, that got me. Creepy, yeah!

Jav
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-13)
Hey Jav, intriguing this one is don't you agree? I hope the OP returns aswell to answer the questions I wonder if other people in that area have witnessed this woman also. Creepy in a way this account!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-13)
DARKNESS!
Do you have any idea how long I have been waiting for you to find this one? I wish the author would return to answer some of our questions, I'm very curios about this one in particular.

Jav
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-13)
Wow a bit eerie no doubt, sounds like a residual haunting. Strange indeed, has there been any bad history in that area that you know of? Thanks for the diagram. 😊

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
crecentblue03 (151 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-02-12)
Yes a spirit can look very real very solid. I moved here from America to Bangladesh. And the first place we stayed at there was a mosque near by it was built in a graveyard, while walking threw this grave yard my daughter nephew and I saw a wedding party pass threw but, it was on our way back out that it happened. What appeard to be a man coming twards us wearing a panjabi shirt, the whole chest part was soaked with what looked like blood he didn't look at us as he passed he just had a serious look on his face. I believed it was a ghost seeing how the sun had set and it was dusk out in a graveyard and yes he looked very solid. I liked your story she didn't harm you but like the man in my story gave you the creeps. Thanks for sharing!.
SugarySweetGirl (2 stories) (26 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-11)
That is one of the cooliest experiences I've ever read. I doubt it was a twin, especially if it was the exact same woman you saw twice. You would have noticed some sort of differnce between the two, I'm sure. A diff haircut, diff shoes, anything. I'd say it was residual. You should go back...
snowhite (203 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-02-10)
Well, the story can be better if you just walk to her with your husband and talk to her. I have strong curiosity. If I were you, I'd go ahead and talk to her.
Casper_the_ghost (9 stories) (180 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-10)
You know I was also thinking, maybe she was an identical twin and her sister was out walking with her or they were having a race or something. What do you think?
Casper_the_ghost (9 stories) (180 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-09)
Wow this is one of my favourie stories really has made me think! Creeped out! I think the woman was real but I think she has some issues! 😲
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-09)
mellybarr, Yikes! That raised the hair on my arms a little. Very creepy. I was also wondering about the history of that area. It could be residual like anneke8 said. If you find out more about the are, please let know. Thanks 😊
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-09)
This must have been a scary experience indeed!
Have you tried to look up the history of that place?
Strange deaths, murders of disappearances perhaps.
If it was a ghost, and she did not give any notice of you whatsoever, perhaps it was a residual haunting, I don't know, what do the other commentors think?
And yes, ghosts can look like normal people.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-09)
mellybarr,
Can you recall if she had a scent at all?
You don't mention making any physical contact. Was there any? Did she brush against either one of you as you passed each other?
And lastly, did she make any noise as she walked?

Thank you,

Jav

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: