You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Strong Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

Strong Ghost

 

For those who don't know I'm a pianist. Earlier this year I learned the basics of how to tune a piano. Because of safety concerns this year it's not been practical to get my tuner over. We had a leaking pipe which needed urgent attention this year. It wasn't hard to keep a safe distance from the plumber, wearing masks and sanitising everything afterwards. But having a piano tuned is a totally different thing. Plus pianos can't be sanitised with alcohol. So it's just off the table for now.

It's really not great to leave a piano out of tune for long periods for just about every reason you can think of. So what with everything going on I knew I'd be learning to DIY tune at some point. For context it's relatively common for pianists to maintain their own tuning in between professional services. The piano community is pretty divided on that. My opinion is it's not for everyone and that's okay too. Some months ago I watched/rewatched copious amounts of footage from tuners on YouTube in preparation and sent away for the tools I needed.

Fast forward to now and I'm pretty surprised at how far I've come in picking up the techniques. Since then I've done a few full tunes and maybe a dozen quick 'top up' tunings. Point being for any ghost frequenting this year would have seen me doing this by now.

A couple weeks ago I was doing another full tune, which takes about two hours. I've always been obsessive about keeping the lid down whenever the piano isn't in use. Just like any other time I closed the lid before leaving the room except this time something really weird happened.

As I lowered the lid at first it felt normal then it was like the piano had rolls upon rolls of blankets inside it. For some reason that's what I first thought, other than confusion. The lid became considerably lighter on the way down as if there was resistance, like a heap of blankets cushioning from within. I lifted the lid higher again, enough to check inside, there was nothing there. I paused a few seconds mulling it over, holding the lid two thirds down near my shoulder (I'm short). Then I lowered it as normal and it was as normal, no more lighter feeling or cushiony resistance. I stood staring at the piano a few seconds replaying in my mind trying to figure how that happened. It's totally illogical. I left the room baffled wondering if a ghost could really support that kind of weight. Then I backtracked, opened the door to this room again and said "Thanks". You know, cause it's polite if what I think happened really did just happen.

Something else happened right before this that only struck me after the fact. A few minutes before I took a break I was tuning one of the lower treble notes, don't remember which note, but remember it was a semitone. I started hearing static when this note was held down. It was a faint buzzing sound which was present the entire time I worked on this note. So present on all three strings. (Majority of notes across a piano are three strings.) At first I thought it was one of the mutes vibrating. (Rubber wedge.) So I adjusted them and the faint static continued. I'm pretty one track minded so regardless of a faint noise I pressed on. When this note was finished, and with mutes removed, the static continued. Now I really wanted to identify it.

I tried every trick in the book but still the static remained on that note. The hammer wasn't sticking, everything was as normal. Couldn't account for it. Intuition must've kicked in because it felt like if I played something, anything, a quick improv using that note it would stop the static and it did. Hasn't happened since.

When I can finally get the tuner over and tell him about it he may determine exactly what it was. Or he may ask questions and give me 'the look' we all know on YGS. From my DIY knowledge I don't know of anything which would make all three stings rattle slightly on a single note, then stop at once. One string, sure, but all three? I need a professional's input there.

With regards to static it's not the first time I've experienced that kind of sound. I've heard it from my headphones and speakers at separate times. It hardly happens. But from the piano is a first.

Piano lids are heavy, especially solid hardwood like this. As it was lowered it felt like it more than halved in weight until I lifted it again to check inside. After which it returned to normal weight. Don't know why I immediately thought something would be inside. I called this strong ghost because it impressed me how whatever/whoever was able to influence or interact with something heavy.

Months ago when I was watching all those tuning videos one of YouTube's suggestions down the side caught my attention. I think whoever's behind this lid trick also watched me flip out over this video. It was something about a safety piano lid. The video demonstrated a soft close hinge mechanism for grand piano lids. In the video a piano lid was allowed to fall but the hinge caught the weight. I remarked that it seemed supernatural, it really does! I watched that video a few times in a row, it was so novel to me. Reckon someone else must've been watching too. But that was months ago, even so I can't help wondering if that video, or my reaction to it, was a kind of inspiration.

My piano has a soft close fallboard, the keyboard covering, that design feature's been around for a while. But I'd not heard of a soft close lid device. That's crazy impressive.

Wonder if the tuner has ever experienced anything. Really don't want to scare him away with any hocus pocus talk. But he comes with all this neat frequency meter kit. Oh the potential!

Which reminds me when I tune I'm using an app on a phone for reference. The app is great, however you're at the mercy of your phone's on board mic, which ain't great. Because of that the readings crap out on the extreme highs and lows. It's not impossible to get a reading on these ones it's just insanely tricky. I actually don't remember what the app was telling me during the static note. It's usually a great app but that evening it's readings were going back and forth for an annoying amount of time on notes within the phone mic's range, the static note being one of those. Unfortunately I don't remember if the app behaved itself or not after taking a break. To be frank I just wanted to get the tuning done so I could play again. One track minded remember.

Thanks for reading.

Other hauntings by Tweed

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Tweed, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+2
1 year ago (2023-03-13)
Greetings CrimsonTopaz wow that's so nice thank you! Your sister is Sleeps with Steve = SWS? Glad she's still posting, always a sweetie. Look forward to getting to know you too.

Val Message board ping pong, just replied to one of your posts I'd not read, high five!
CrimsonTopaz (1 stories) (239 posts)
+1
1 year ago (2023-03-13)
Tweed, my sister says hi (SWS). We've been up watching the Oscars. I recorded it when it was on earlier. She said... Good to see Tweed back online, and that you're lovely. I'm looking forward to reading your experiences.
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+2
1 year ago (2023-03-13)
Tweed, just running of here to say 'Hi'! Great to see you around again 😊
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+2
1 year ago (2023-03-13)
Cherubium, L Melb, the piano probably has a few attachments by now, but in a healthy way. I believe pianos have souls as does music/songs, that there's a life force behind all things, especially hand crafted things like furniture and musical instruments. That they collect and transmit energy.
Could the lid have been carried by its own energy? Goodness knows. There's a possibility the lid was lowered by my grandmother, who was my teacher. Or maybe one of the other ghosts who visit. I've thought about it a lot and I just don't know.
The static on the one note was likely the string settling the tuner said, it happens a lot apparently. Part of the process of the tension distributing across the cabinet as the pitch is corrected. So that explains that at least. I didn't tell him about the lid lol.
I had some weird static on a demo about a year ago. Started to write about it for YGS but never finished it because there's really nothing to tell, static on a dodgy iPad recording being the highlight.🙄 There could be a really mundane explanation to it.

(Sorry for the super duper amazingly late reply.)

RCRuskin, merry holiday of choice to you too!
Cherubim (14 stories) (245 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2021-08-24)
I love the piano, that's awesome that you play. I wonder about the static, you've heard it before on your speakers and headphones. Now for the first time on your piano too. I wonder if something is attached to your piano? Then the piano lid being so heavy, and feeling like something was stopping you from closing it? Maybe it's an entity that just loves the way you play, since the static seemed to stop when you played a song. ❤ In any case, I'm glad it stopped now. I talk to the spirits around me too! 😊
L_Melb (220 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2021-05-29)
Hi Tweed:)
Great story, what a strange thing to happen!
I imagine you must be a pretty good pianist - a grand piano is quite an investment (considering all I can do is Mary had a little lamb, I don't think it's worth it!😁)
Learning how to tune is amazing. Let us know anything else that goes on. You don't think anything is attached to the piano at all? It wasn't second hand was it?... Just a thought that popped in my mind.
Thanks again! 😊
RCRuskin (9 stories) (815 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2020-12-23)
A week ago? Damn, I've been away too long. 😢

I've seen those soft close hinges and drawer guides, and other such things. I'm assuming your piano lacks such a thing, so it makes me wonder.:)

Merry Christmas, or other holiday of choice.
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2020-12-17)
Most of the Heavy metal musician I'm aware off end up smoking the plants they care for, however yes, it probably does.lol
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+3
3 years ago (2020-12-16)
🤔 Plants and music... I wonder if it depends on how it effects those caring FOR the plants?
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2020-12-16)
Tweed,

Isn't it interesting the relationship between plants and music I think that's the lesson of the day anyway,

It probably depends on which experiment you pay attention too?...in the Scostman article, they found Black Sabbath music worked wonders with plants and exposure to Cliff Richard music killed every plant in the experiment... Lmfao, that is too funny.

Https://www.scotsman.com/news/uk-news/plants-love-heavy-metal-says-bbc-gardens-expert-1578826

In this next article Classical vrs Rock Music they are suggesting it's classical.

Https://youhadmeatgardening.com/best-music-for-plants/

Anywho, I'm going to give my long term memory a B plus for something I browsed on over 30 years ago...however, in this last article... They claim extremely loud rock music can destroy the ecosystem?... It may have been something similar along the lines to what I read "Spinal Tap turned up to volume 11"...lol

Https://www.iheart.com/content/2018-07-13-rock-music-can-damage-ecosystems-study-finds/
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2020-12-16)
Daz, I'd like to see the credentials on whoever was behind that plant and music experiment. There's recent tests showing the opposite is true. Pumpkin seeds for instance love anything heavy because it stimulates them to sprout. Larger pumpkins are always found in test groups exposed to heavy vs classical music.
During lockdown my husband's been playing a lot of Blind Melon, the Soup album and I got back into NIN, our indoor flora seem to really dig it. I don't know, metal killing plants seems like an archaic concept somehow. 🤔

It makes sense you'd find your way to music. We are naturally drawn toward what's good for our soul.
Rock n roll heaven sounds good to me. Foo Fighters have a rather poignant, rocking song about the very place.
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+6
3 years ago (2020-12-15)
Music is a form Spiritual language yes I like that analogy Tweed, there probably is a Rock'n roll heaven who knows? I believe we are more alive when we are dead because we don't limit our potential like we do here in the earth matrix otherwise if I'm wrong... It's going to be as boring as batshiat if all we do over there is keep a straight face in fear of cracking the make up and groan like Casper the ghost for attention.
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+5
3 years ago (2020-12-15)
Tweed

Thank you for the feed back on what may validate my thoughts on your account.

Back yonder when Adam was a boy, I'd remember reading about this experiment where they filled two rooms up with flowers and plants and played classical music in one and heavy metal in the other turned up on Spinal Tap volume 11.

I can't remember the duration of this experiment whether it was 48 hours or longer however interestingly enough, the flowers and plants in the room with heavy metal all died and the ones in the room with classical thrived on... So yes, it even looks like nature has a liking to classical.

I was trying not brag about my own skills as a musician, however, I did start out in the school orchestra playing the flute and Chinese bassoon...Schubert's Unfinished Symphony is one of my favourites. Sometimes I'll sleep with classical music on in the background... There is something very soulful about the style.

I have written my own music where a radio station back in the 90's wanted to play it and Del Shannon's ex promoter wanted to pump it, anyway, all back in the day now.

Funny thing about my own musical journey it was me who found it, not the other way around... My parents never really did got behind me as a child although later in life my Dad was one of our groupies who stalked us around the circuit.

Anyway, I absolutely envy and enjoy anyone talented enough to play the piano, it is in my view, the most satisfying and fulfilling instrument one can play.

Regards Daz
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2020-12-15)
Biblio, thanks for reminding me. I'd forgotten about the 'small attention getting thing followed by the main event' concept. But yes, that definitely could apply here.

Daz, Sometimes when practicing I swear I hear whispers. Once, about five years ago, heard the whispers then heard a woman say, quite loudly too, 'Sshh, She's playing it!' Lol. So yeah, think I have an invisible posse sometimes.
To me music is a spiritual language. I can't think of any genre being spiritually better or superior to another because I play rock and classical and love them both equally. A lot of my favourite classical composers were considered crap in their day by the mainstream. I can only pray that what I consider crap (techno) is never studied in depth by future generations lol.
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+5
3 years ago (2020-12-14)
Tweed

There are only a few things I believe we take with us when we cross over. Our memories, The love, our sense of humour and the music... Classical music especially, I have listened to your repertoire of which is very and impressive and yes, Beethoven would be the spiritual magnet.

I have listened to alleged captured recordings of music on the other side and classical music seems to be the universal flavour of choice that exist outside the space time critique.

I did six years of playing the Sydney club circuit where Chuck Berry's roll over Beethoven was the closet I came to the classical genre so they won't be giving me a gig up there among the clouds and stars unless there's another place they have in mind for me...lmao

Seriously, based on your music, I would not be surprised if what I said before was the premise of your account. You may have your own following of people who enjoy your music for free.

Regards.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2020-12-14)
Tweed:

While that is "info overload," it's *interesting* info: my favorite kind!

This doesn't explain the phenomenon of the lid's slow closing, but, I'm sure you recall from past thread conversations, paranormal phenomena sometimes begin with an initial attention-getting phenomenon (paranormal or otherwise) followed by a more full-blown one.

Just a thought.
Biblio.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2020-12-14)
As I was saying on some pianos there's a thing called duplex scaling or the aliquot bar, same damn thing. What it does is add extra harmonics to the notes. How it works is by adding an extra speaking length to the string, the part that vibrates producing a note. So the long struck portion of string makes the note, then other sections of the string muted with felt then the other end threads through a silver monopoly hotel (what it looks like) and the section over the monopoly hotel, the aliquot bar, produces a harmonic. It adds depth to the overall sound.

The aliquot bar in my piano runs all the way down to the copper wound strings. This means as it's been brought up to pitch the aliquot section could theoretically sympathetically resonate with lower notes in its harmonic group, down the octaves. If those notes are at the same out of tuneness lol. So when it sorted itself out, it wasn't the long speaking length which was freshly tuned, but the small one. When I turn the pin, I hear the note change but the aliquot section is brought up to pitch at the same time. However this is steal at high tension and often notes take a minute or so to settle back to where they should be, the steal develops a kind of memory. So the static sound very well could've been the section of string over the monopoly hotels, which doesn't get muted, before it settled into its 'in tune steal memory'

Info overload nerd alert!
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2020-12-14)
Aahhh Biblio harmonics is that what you mean? That bloody explains the static I think! The duplex scale. Equal temperament. Dang. I need to go eat, I'm starving. But I think you just nailed it! Will research, explain randomness in a bit.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2020-12-14)
Thanks everyone! I'm glad this was easy to follow, I had a devil of a job typing it up.

Melda, wow thanks for the lovely comment! I also admire anyone crazy enough to dare make their passion their life. It's really not glamorous though. I enjoy solitude so the 'lonely' nature of practice hasn't deterred me after all these years. I can't speak for your sister but it's very common for people to leave music in favour of a more socially enriched path.
I think you've probably put dance and me together because of one of my other posts about being distracted by a presence while exercising. I keep a ballet exercise routine, I love dance, but I'm not a professional dancer. Being a pianist is like working in IT, you can quickly develop poor posture and a Kardashian butt. Trust me I can't rock one of those and get away with it!
I'll update anything interesting the tuner says. But if he goes into a full blown account I might have to point him in the direction of this site instead lol.

Val, I still can't figure it out. When I checked the dampers there was nothing there that I could tell. I lifted them up and down a few times to dislodge anything. Also the hammer felt looked as fluffy as the others, no harsh grooves. I looked around for a bit of paper lying around. Because sometimes sheets of paper can catch certain frequencies and vibrate, I've had this happen many times. I like practicing with the music rack off, and printed music sheets resting on the pinblock which is how a lot of people practice. Sometimes the paper acts like a bit of a speaker I guess and makes a staticky umm. It sounded like that but on one note, with no sheets of paper lying about anywhere.

Daz haha, actually I believe pot and certain other naughty substances can be used to gain access to the other side, if used wisely. Some cultures have been doing this for eons. Pity these substances just don't agree with me! But there's plenty people who have success with it.
Lol I want to just play the damn thing too! It's great to be as self sufficient as you can but blimey tuning is boring. Actually that's not fair sometimes I quite enjoy it. But the thought of doing it always sucks.
I never thought of the static being heard by only me. That's really given me something to think about. Thanks!

SWS, thank you, your comments are always so nice! I need to take a leaf out of your book sometimes I think.
What you said about learning reminded me of something I heard Tom Cruise of all people say. He was asked once what's the hardest thing you've ever done for a role. I think everyone was expecting home to say 'jump out of a building' or something like it. But he said it was when he learned some piano excerpts for the film Interview with a Vampire. He said he still can't believe people can actually play the piano lol. It reminded me of what it was like to learn, which is what your comment just did. For some reason remembering what it was like is oddly profound, so thank you!
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2020-12-14)
Greeting, Tweed!

The only thing that came to mind as a practical explanation was the strings' capacity for resonance. The three strings of the note would all vibrate at precisely the same pitch, in reaction to that note being created elsewhere. This would generate a faint humming, *not* the static you heard. This acoustic phenomenon also fails to account for your experience with the lid. Curiouser and curiouser.

Best,
Biblio.
Sleeping-with-steve (guest)
+2
3 years ago (2020-12-14)
Hello Tweed,

Playing a piano is one thing, but being able to also tune it? Wow, I really admire that.
I'm not musically minded. Unfortunately a part from having 1 piano lesson when I was 10, that's the only bit of music I have experienced playing. It was mainly learning the keys that day, and I still have no idea which key is which. It's very hard, and that's why I admire anyone who can read music, write songs, and play an instrument.

I really enjoyed your post and a couple of others you have posted so I have saved them to my profile. You'd be surprised how much more you get from reading a post more than once if you enjoy the experience you are reading about.

AussieDaz,

Yet another funny comment from you. I'm picturing you play piano with 3 fingers with hand and one finger with other 🎹 🎶
(I can up🔺vote again, woohoo)

Melda, you are just as talented and I'd love to hear all 3 of you play.

Best wishes,
Miandra/SWS
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2020-12-13)
Hello Tweed,

Why am I not surprised with your submission of being a pianist,

I have this suspicion that most musicians are more opened to psychic phenomenon than the average Joe perhaps due to their ability to tune their own frequency toward the vibration of the greater universe or something like that if their not high on pot.

I'm a self taught pianist who use's three fingers on the left hand for the root, 3rd and 5th note as I pluck through the melody on the right hand with one finger' 😆

I won't be offering my services anywhere anytime soon however, I'm good enough to bluff the grandchildren into thinking I'm alright...lol

Yes, some ghost would be strong enough, the question is who and why?

My Guess? This ghost is a musician who enjoys your music wanting you play the damn thing instead of just tuning it... If I'm hanging around the earth matrix after I take my last breath, I'm probably going to go chill out listening to other musicians after I stop haunting my bank manager and a couple of others on my hit list.

The faint static noise you heard may be your own ability in picking up on our friends in the other realm, if it happens again maybe ask hubby if he can hear it just in case there is a science behind it?

Thank you for sharing

Regards Daz
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+4
3 years ago (2020-12-13)
Static humming of the strings you can't reproduce? 🤔 How deliciously weird! I assume you ruled out dampers, or anything small getting up under the string? But then with being a one off... Weird.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+5
3 years ago (2020-12-13)
Tweed - I realised that your career was connected to music but I was never sure in which capacity. In fact I was under the impression that dance also played a part. Well you know, one makes a few guesses and assumptions about people you meet on the site and it's a bit hit and miss!

I always love to hear of people who manage to make their passion in life their career. You obviously worked hard to achieve what you have, so I sincerely congratulate you on that.

I mention tongue in cheek that I come from a somewhat musical family. (Extended family as well on my mother's side) The one who always stood out was my older sister who was an excellent pianist and violinist. She was beautiful, talented, married at the age of 21 and had babies. (A huge tale to tell there but it doesn't belong here.)

My brother and I were the "untaught" singers and dancers. We just had the rythm and the beat. We were always the two party animals that got the music, singing and dancing going. Good years😆

You're way out of my league when you talk about tuning a piano. Our piano was a definitive part of our home while I was growing up but all I ever looked at were the keys and that piano wouldn't be anywhere close to the quality of what you own.

Quite possibly you had an extra pair of eyes and hands which were trying to nudge you in the right direction. If that is what you felt, I wouldn't question it. I'd be very interested to know what the professional tuner has to say.

Thanks for sharing another good experience!

Regards, Melda

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: