You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Orbs / Lights / Mists :: Strange Green Lights

Real Ghost Stories

Strange Green Lights

 

Of the several unusual things that I've had happed to me this was the first and probably the most terrifying. I was a young boy of about 4 to 6 years old. At the time this happened we had another family that was down on their luck staying with us. They had a son about my age and naturally we ended up sleeping in my bed facing opposite directions.

Before I continue I feel I need to elaborate on the bed I had at the time. The way the frame was constructed there was no under the bed. It was basically a box with dimensions slightly smaller than the mattress and had a mirror like surface. If one were to try and reach under the bed they would find this frame about 6 inches from the edge of the mattress on any side. This made it difficult to hide things under my bed when "cleaning" my room.

One night I woke up for who knows what reason. I was lying on my stomach and had my left arm hanging off the side of the bed (this would be the last time I ever slept with any part of my body over the edge of the mattress). I started to feel somewhat panicked and then something grabbed my hand from "under" the bed. My parents and grandparents always insisted it was the cat or dog but neither one of those animals can grab and squeeze like this creature could. I instantly yanked my hand up and sat up terrified, looking around and seeing nothing.

I noticed that the boy that was staying with us also had his hand off the edge of the mattress. I slowly crawled over and looked at his hand. There was a strange green light around it and these "things" that appeared to be flying around it. These were not fireflies because the things themselves weren't emitting the green light but neither was the boy's hand.

I didn't stay to investigate. I ran as fast as I could to my parents room where I found little comfort or understanding. To this day I don't believe this was a dream or my imagination. Whatever it was that grabbed my hand that night was as real and you or me. Also to this day I can't sleep with any part of my body of the edge of the mattress and I hate to walk by the bed in the dark because I know there could be something under it. Has anyone had anything like this happen? Even seeing the green light? It would be a relief to know I'm not alone.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Colorado

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, alyon2002, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Indigo (263 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-10)
I'll take it a step further now, suppose the organ isn't invisible? Suppose it's just one we use that isn't very well understood. Suppose also, that similar to eels, humans can create an electrostatic field, and that some of us generate a positive field, and some of us a negative field. This is true with magnetics in all of us, I tested the theory working with disc drive products and magnetics in fort Wayne, Indiana in the 90's.
This would explain so much. Put people that have negative fields in a home with electrical issues or several other like people in the same home, such as children and teens, and you get an intense increase in activity. Move to another home, problems lessen or subside. This could be why some of us can SEE and others can not. It would explain why watch batteries drain, mechanical problems occur when we are angry, poltergeist activity etc... And why the other side can see us... We operate off the same polarities that they do...
Indigo (263 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-10)
Ok, if y'all will try to bear with me here, I have a hypothesis on the green glow that seems to materialize with many ghosts, including some of my own experiences. I haven't fully worked this out mentally or on paper yet, so its still in it's infancy and I apologize, but I have to share now, lol.

Green phosphorescence: there are several things that cause this glow naturally, bioluminescence, Marine luminescence, etc. Those things we can pretty much dismiss at this point because we are not dealing with anything physically living as we know it yet. In dismissing these things we are pretty much left with what is known as a cathode, roentgen rays (x-rays) and negative electricity. Ok all you nerds like myself out there are saying bs. No bs. Negative electricity was proven to exist in the last decade, so on to my theory.
Imagine the human body being pretty much a sack of skin with organs etc inside for physical locomotion etc. This mechanism works for us physically by utilizing electricity and magnetics as well as all the minerals, fats, proteins that we take into our systems daily. We know this by all of the science geeks from even before Galen's time until now. Suppose, though, that since invisible an extra 'organ' or body part has been missed throughout all of the history of exploring the human body? Suppose for a second that this invisible organ operates in the same manner as a worn soda glass tube with a cathode at the end, and suppose for a second that this organ functions off negative electricity, while the rest of the body functions off of the positive electricity.

This would explain shadow people, as the 'tube' itself of course would be human shaped after our bodies were gone. It would explain their extreme 'blackness' as the nature if the tube itself would be similar to that of a quark. It would explain the green glow, as the phosphorescence that occurs within the tubes is a natural end result. It would also explain how we can leave our bodies and come back, or not.

Anyway, just the start of a theory guys... What do you think so far?
CronishaxGurl (3 stories) (10 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-10)
I've never seen a green light or have been grabbed while hanging an arm or leg over the edge of the mattress, however I avoid doing it at all costs because I am afraid someone, or something is going to grab me. But I've been grabbed by the shoulder and shaken awake.
stephyw2001 (guest)
-1
13 years ago (2011-09-08)
Hahaha Fanny, I think I love your mother/grandmother! That's awesome. I bet you cleaned your room better huh? 😆

Alyon, interesting that more stuff happened. If you ever find the time I'd sure love to hear more! 😊
alyon2002 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-08)
Thank you for your comments! Anything is possible. Especially that perhaps it was just a nightmare. Although I had other nightmares at that age that never did affect me like this experience did. For me the power of the memory itself makes it seem like it was real. However, I have problems with sleep paralysis and this has caused some things to happen that if I wasn't aware of my problem with it might be just as scary. My problem with this explanation is that I didn't start experiencing sleep paralysis until I was a teenager and this happened much earlier. Perhaps it was the first time. This is why I am always skeptical of experiences that happen right before sleep or right after waking. Also, another fact to be aware of is that I did live pretty close to I-70 in that place so perhaps I was seeing some trickery of the lights of the passing cars...? In reality I'll never know for sure if what I remember from that night actually happened and if it did what the true cause was. For me looking under the bed doesn't cut it. This is because my reality is limited to my five senses. There are things that surround us that we are unaware of until they interact with something that can be experienced but one of our senses. For me this is the most plausable explaination of ghosts. A form of energy we haven't learned to detect yet. To answer your question steph yes I have had other things happen. However, only one related to the bed. It felt like something grabbed my foot once... No story or further details to report although it was scary. I'll be posting more stories in the future. Thanks again for the feedback!
Fanny (2 stories) (105 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-07)
When I was a kid my mother got mad at my older sister and I for hiding stuff under our beds while "cleaning" our rooms. Our punishment? She told us the devil was hiding under our beds waiting to grab the exposed hands and feet of bad little boys and girls. For the longest time after that we would sleep with a night light and run and jump on the bed to make sure our feet didn't too close. To this day I still can't sleep with my feet uncovered or my hands hanging over the side. Another time my grandmother to us we had the devil in us for not cleaning our rooms! Good parenting mom! 😨

Best,
Fanny ❤
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-09-07)
The rest of us can't rule out a dream or over-active imagination. That is the problem with experiences like this, we encounter them alone & everyone is too familiar with realistic nightmares to not feel doubt that your experience wasn't one. I will be interested to hear if anyone else has had unexplained experiences with the little glowing lights. Searching my mind for any folklore to explain them, all I can come up with is fairy lights.
stephyw2001 (guest)
+4
13 years ago (2011-09-07)
I think this fear of stuff under the bed is normal, caused by the fact that its something fairly hidden. Its so overplayed by horror movies and childhood ghost stories, that its only natural to fear it.

When I was very yound (probably about the same 4-6 year old age you mentioned) I was nervous about under the bed too. But I cured myself of it right then and there. How? By looking! Perhaps I was more curious or braver than other kids my age, but when I was scared of something, I looked! Usually, that "shadow person" I saw was just clothes in the dark. The "hand" on my bed was the sheets wrinkled just right. I'll never forget the time my own foot wiggling scared me!

My point is, since you didn't look but just ran, you'll never really know so you'll live in unnecessary fear. You said you "cleaned" your room. Did the other kid have a toy that glowed? Did he try to "clean" his room by shoving it under the bed? Maybe that glow was just a squashed toy. Maybe the "things" flying were actually flies! (or any bug) as they would be attracted to the light from the toy.

It says you're a young adult. Has anything ever happened since?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: