You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Disappearing Man

Real Ghost Stories

Disappearing Man

 

This story takes place during one of my common hunting days. I was in a tree stand waiting, and then I hear a stick break. I look over expecting my next opportunity at a deer. Instead I see a person walking on my private property. I call out "hey" this person stops, and slowly looks at me with this face that looked angry. I say "this is private property" and no response. I reach for my phone in my pocket, and then this figure just vanishes.

I started to panic then just blew it off, thinking that it was lack of sleep. Now I've had several (paranormal) experiences in my life, but I used to just block them out thinking it was imagination.

I found out the next day that my neighbor had died in a hunting accident. This was a small town and I'm friends with the cops, so I asked them about it. They said it didn't seem right. He was a very experienced hunter, but apparently as he was walking, he fell and his rifle had shot him on the stomach.

My suspicion is how does a rifle shoot you in the stomach on accident? If this truly is a ghost, spirit, or demon, (I'm new to this and am not sure which) why would it target him? Do they commonly roam and pick targets? If so why was it him and not me? Or did it have him picked out for a reason?

He was a good guy, and I honestly believe he had no evil in his life. I didn't tell anybody about this event because I myself am skeptical to this, as is my small town. And if this thing was on a mission to do evil, could it possibly be linked to weird things in nearby towns, or is it secluded to our area? And if it had anything against me would it have followed to the other state I moved to?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Missouri

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, BlakeBeatdown, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

BlakeBeatdown (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-05)
This post may be dead now, but I was away as I was moving again. Jav is right, small town=I know him like the back of my hand. Definitely would have known if it was him. Since I have been here, I haven't seen any as clear as that. I've only seen things I've always seen such as shadows and light. I appreciate everybody who contributed, and also appreciate the opinions and insight.
Indigo (263 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-09)
Szaffi again- by the way, this is all done in an unofficial manner, we just walk up to the police officer and ask! As for game keepers, we only have those in zoos to attend animals. There is a game warden position which is federal, they are in every state, but they don't know as much about local farmers as the local county or city police as a general rule, because they have so much more area to patrol.
Indigo (263 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-09)
Szaffi, in our country things are much different In small towns. He would only have to go to the courthouse and probably not pay anything. The local police in small towns are a general wealth of information. It's generally not a bother to them to discuss things like this with you as long as you aren't a general idiot of the community. Cops live for good ghost stories as well, for the most part, most of our local ones do anyway! The police here in small communities are our parts of our families.
Szaffi (37 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-09)
Yes Javelina, that is a possible option as well. But, there's no need to waste the police's time with anything like that. Just think about it. When you buy or inherit a property, where are you going to get yourself registered as the new owner of that house, flat, cottage, farm of what ever it is? (Depending on how it is working in your country.) To the council or to the office where the properties are registered. Is enough if he turns to the council... Asks for the file of his property. (As the owner, he should have the right to have a look at it, even if he has to pay some fee.)
He can find out anything about game keepers who had been worked there, together with the recorded history of the area... Is enough if he says that he is doing some research.

This is just an easier way to do it... The police might have no access to it. Especially, that it's not the part of their job to keep records of these kind of things. At least not in my country nor in the UK, where I'm living at the moment. If it was some criminal history, it could be different.
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-08)
I confess I was a bit confused by your story and questions and had to go back and reread. I gather you think your neighbour saw the same apparition and it either attacked him or startled him, causing his weapon to discharge and kill him. Obviously, no one can really answer your questions, just offer possible theories and suggestions. Even though it seemed to interact with you, it's possible that this is just a residual haunt and the snapping twig and the impression that it looked at you were either coincidences or part of the residual energy. It's also possible this is a spirit capable of interacting with its environment. Only some further research, as Javelina suggested, or some further encounters will help you decide. But there's no reason to assume that whatever it is is evil or has any particular interest in you or your property.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-08)
BlakeBeatdown,
Welcome to YGS! And thank you for sharing.
I won't bother with gun safety tips. You say you are a hunter, so hopefully, you have earned a pass on that.
I am not in agreement with some of the previous posters who believe it was the spirit of your neighbor you saw. And I am going on my own experience growing up in a small town. Those who haven't had that pleasure may not agree, but that's OK, they don't know what it's like.
I have no doubt that you would recognize the neighbor right off the bat. He's your neighbor for cryin' out loud. When you live in a small town you even know their dogs! So yes, you would know if it were him.
However, that doesn't help us figure out who it actually was. This may take a little digging on your part. But if you want to set your mind at ease, it will be worth it.
First thing you must understand is that just because you saw someone vanish right before your eyes, this does not make that person an 'Evil' entity or demon.
There's a good chance he may have been a past owner of your property or someone who worked for him. He could have been a game warden long ago, who knows?
But if you are interested in finding out for sure, there are ways of doing just that. You can check with your local historical society for anything they may have about the land in your particular area and its uses.
Since you already have a close relationship with the local police, you may want to see what they have on file concerning any previous owners and possible run ins with either his neighbors or trespassers.
I hope this helps some.

Jav 😊
Szaffi (37 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-08)
Hello Blake,

People sometimes are doing bad things even without knowing about it or doing it on purpose. All people have some "evil" inside. Like bad / negative thoughts, harming someone without willing to, and so on. That's part of human nature.
Accidents always happen, no matter how careful and experienced you are... Even if it's a stupid one.

I agree with Nysa. As you are a hunter, you must have had a gun safety class when learning to shot. Then you must know more or less know what is possible and how.

Just think about it... When walking you trip up/ trip over something, and there you've got the accident.
If I died in such a stupid accident, I would be pissed off as well.
Indigo (263 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-08)
Nysa is correct. Many times the families of accidental shooting victims cry foul play when it was only an accident. Guns can fire into the stomach from being dropped or otherwise handled improperly. Just because the weapon seems too long or improbable doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. Many odd deaths are correctly ruled accidental, but seem more to the contrary. The man may have stumbled and dropped the weapon. He could have been carrying it improperly, etc. You are in mo, which has a lot of wildlife, something might have startled him, such as a feral hog, which are famous out there, which is one of the reasons you
Shouldn't hunt alone. Even the best hunters can have an accident.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-09-08)
Blake,

I'm inclined to think you saw your neighbors spirit... Double check the time of his passing and see it it matches when you saw this 'apparition'. Also if you can match the clothes this 'spirit' was wearing to what your neighbor was wearing at his time of death it could help you determine the 'nature' of this spirit.

I know, accident or not, if I'd been shot and died while out hunting I'd be pretty 'pissed off' myself and I bet that if anyone saw my 'departing spirit' I'd have a scowl on my face.

Thank you for sharing this with us, but I do not 'feel' as if you have a malevolent spirit out there hunting the hunters...

Respectfully,

Rook
Aprilsnanny35 (3 stories) (35 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-07)
Hi BlakeBeatdown! I tend to think that the spirit you saw may have just been your neighbour. It would be good if you could find a picture or at least get a description of him to decide whether that matches the "person" you saw. I seriously doubt there is anything evil about it, I believe that people in spirit form are still the people they were in life and maybe he was just a grumpy man in general? Wishing you well.
Fanny (2 stories) (105 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-07)
Blake, I'm inclined to agree with Nysa on this one. I think it's more likely that your ghost was just passing by and your neighbour's accident was probably just a sad and untimely tragedy.

I also think it's possible that the ghost was angry that he's dead or he was angry that you could see him, but I doubt he was actually angry with you.

How long ago did you move to your new state? If it's been awhile and this ghost hasn't manifested again I wouldn't worry too much about him following you. Good luck and keep us posted.

Best,
Fanny ❤
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+7
13 years ago (2011-09-07)
Nobody "knows" but interested parties can give you theories. "Was it a ghost, spirit, or demon?" It might have been any of those things. Or it might have been a hallucination. Is this the only time you have seen it? If you have had a gun safety class you might remember that it is possible for a dropped gun to fire & hit you anywhere the barrel happens to point. While such a death with a careful hunter makes you wonder, there is no reason to think he was killed by anything supernatural. Even the most careful people have accidents & living humans harm people far more often than the living impared. Most theories assume that ghosts & demons are not tied to any one place. But so far you only know it glared at you so jumping to a "mission of evil" is a real long shot, a really long shot.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: