You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ouija Board / Seances :: Multiplying Cards And A Disappearing Ouija

Real Ghost Stories

Multiplying Cards And A Disappearing Ouija

 

I suppose the beginning of this particular event was back in 1988, with my son's birthday party. I don't know what the rational was, but someone thought the 'ideal' gift for a 7 year old would be a Ouija board. No card accompanied it, and no one ever stepped up as to being the giver.

I remember at some point, before it could even be taken from it's shrinkwrap, I placed it on an upper shelf in the closet, thinking of disposing of it at a more appropriate time, not wanting to put a damper on the party. Personally, I do not view Ouijas, spirit boards, call them what you will as an appropriate 'toy'. They're a tool, and should only be used by those who understand such things, not innocent children.

As it somehow happens in busy households, the Ouija stayed untouched on that shelf, becoming buried under a pile of things we don't really need but dodge throwing out for one reason or another for years becoming forgotten.

Flash forwards to 1995 or '96, I don't recall the exact date, but my father had come for a visit. I had cleared out a couple of drawers for him to use in my room, as he'd be sleeping there and I would bunk with my daughter. The visit went well as I recall, and after he left is when I discovered a deck of tarot cards in the dresser drawer. I knew they were not mine, so I assumed he had left them behind. I had grown up with my father reading the cards. Although he had always used playing cards, as I did, I figured since my mother's passing he may have purchased a 'real' deck. When he called to say he had arrived safely home, I mentioned having found his cards, his reply confused me a bit. "What cards?"

After explaining, he said that though he had always wanted a deck, he'd never bought one, as he believed they worked better if they came as a gift. Well then, he could have these, and I mailed them off to him. Only to have them reappear within a week - in the drawer. I thought perhaps I had only thought I had sent them, but a phone call verified I had, and they were in his possession. Neither of us could explain it. There had been one deck, now there were two, although in separate locations.

Perhaps a month later, I was talking with my older brother, K, in California and he told me dad had mentioned this bit of weirdness to him. If I wanted I could send them to him. So, I did, and within two weeks they were back in the drawer! Now there were 3 sets in as many locations. My brother sighed and said, "Val? Maybe they're meant to be with you."

Time passed, it's the year 2003. My daughter and I are downsizing from our 10+ room house to a tiny 2 bedroom apartment. Clearing out the closet, we run across the Ouija. At the time we were sorting things into 3 piles: keep, sell, and trash. Anything that didn't sell we'd donate. My only defense for what I did next, is emotionally I was still a trainwreck from my son's death the previous year - I set it in the 'keep' pile. So now it sat on the shelf of a different closet, in our new home, still in its shrinkwrapped box.

From time to time, I would catch myself, standing in that closet gazing up at that box, arguing within myself. The best I can describe this is a part of me (that did not feel as if it was me) wanted to use that board, and there was the me that knew I was too vulnerable, too easy a target in my current emotional state to be anywhere near 'safe' no matter what precautions I used, to use it. Afterwards, I would always feel quite drained, as if I had been in some physical struggle. Logic says I should have just gotten rid of the thing, but you must understand - I was in a very illogical space mentally.

One day I noticed the board was out of its box, in fact the box was no where to be seen. Instead there was the board and planchette just sitting there as if mocking me. If inanimate objects can mock. I backed out of the closet and closed the door. This was so not right. I knew my daughter hadn't used it, as she was staying with her father in another town while she did an internship closer to where he lived than home, and it was still wrapped the day she left. I knew damn well it hadn't been me. I've never been one to scare easily. I was no stranger to the paranormal. But, at that moment I was terrified of a stupid piece of printed cardboard and a bit of plastic. Or perhaps of whatever agent was at play wanting me to use it. That's how it felt to me, as if something was tempting me to do what I knew I shouldn't.

I called an old friend of mine, Father Joe, and asked him if he could come and bless the apartment. I thought once he was here, I could ask him to dispose of the board for me. Besides, even though I'd had the apartment blessed prior to moving in, an extra house blessing never hurt. As I hung up I heard something hit the closet door - hard. Going to investigate, I found that deck of Tarot cards laying on the floor in front of the closet. WTH!?! I don't know how long I was standing there, staring at the cards trying to comprehend by what logical means they could have left the drawer and flown across the room and into the closet door, but a knock at my apartment door jarred me.

For those that don't know, the Catholic faith in general does not condone the use of any divination, or means of speaking with the dead. Ouijas and Tarots rank fairly high on the list. Greeting a priest while clutching a deck is probably not the best idea, so I tossed it into the closet.

Father Joe is nothing if not a thorough blesser. Every room, every corner, every doorway, the cats, and myself all received a blessing. Finally came the time for me to make my request. I kept it simple "unwanted gift blah-blah'. Of course he said yes. I opened the closet door and looked up on the shelf and the bloody thing was GONE! Just gone. No board, no planchette, no cards either. I practically tore the closet apart looking for it. If it wasn't for the fact Father Joe had known me for so long, he might have written me off as being quite daft, instead he said, "Well if it's not here, then I can't take it away, can I?" I had to admit that was true. "So then I'll do the next best thing," and he blessed the inside of the closet.

Perhaps this was just to humor me, I don't know. I do know it's been 12 years now, and the board has never been seen again. But the cards? About a week later they showed back up in my drawer.

Other hauntings by valkricry

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, valkricry, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MysticFrance (5 stories) (95 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-12-08)
This one is quite interesting! I never heard a story like this before!

Thanks for sharing this, Val. Nice work!

Best regards.
PBnJilly (18 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-07)
It's almost as if the Ouija has a way of disappearing when it feels unwanted. My parents had a similar incident. After using it one time with some friends, and no one touching the planchette, the planchette slid off the board with such force it hit the cabinets on the other side of the room. My mom wanted it out of the house right then and there, so it was put in a detached cellar, outside of our house where it sat on a shelf for several years. When a friend had brought up wanting to get one all those years later, Mom had mentioned having one in the cellar she would give her, as they had no use for it and wouldn't be playing with it again. Even though mom remembered recently seeing it on the cellar shelf, when she went to get it for her friend, it was nowhere to be found. She searched all over that cellar and even asked my dad if he had moved it or gotten rid of it. He said he hadn't. It simply disappeared.

Definitely strange occurrences going on with Ouija boards and tarot decks!
valkricry (49 stories) (3267 posts) mod
 
8 years ago (2016-09-05)
Allicat,
Thank you for reading and commenting. I'm glad you found it interesting.
valkricry (49 stories) (3267 posts) mod
 
8 years ago (2016-09-05)
Cutepotatoe,
I know, right? Who thinks that's an appropriate gift for a child? All the other gifts were accounted for- 'that's from ___', but the Ouija. It seemed to be a 'spare' gift.
Allicatt (5 stories) (68 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-08-29)
I know this post is a bit older, but I saw the title in the feed of recently commented on and was drawn in though your story was all the more interesting. I have never heard of anything like that happing and I am simply amazed and bewildered all at the same time. Thanks for sharing, going to my favorites.
Cutepotatoe (5 posts)
-1
8 years ago (2016-08-29)
What? This so ridiculous " Ouija board for a 7 years old as a gift " 😨 The Ouija board was already known as the << Help to communicate with the others >>

Your father might have something to do with what's happening to you because he uses often the Tarots Cards! Maybe any loved ones are trying to communicate with you? 😊
valkricry (49 stories) (3267 posts) mod
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-20)
Tweed, I just saw your comment. My word, that's bloody interesting/weird! I'm looking forwards to reading all about it. Hopefully nothing too untoward is going on?
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-03-15)
Hi Val, I just had to come post this here because it's knocked me sideways. That move I was talking about in earlier comments below, (from like months and ages ago), well that's happening now. Yesterday the bloody tarot deck showed up, in a desk cupboard that's been getting frequent use lately.
Urgh, not nice things happenning here and I've barely had time to scratch myself let alone come on YGS (I miss this place 😭)
Needless to say I'll be writing and submitting all this up at some stage. What's weird (as if this kind of stuff isn't weird enough lol!), well what's only slightly weirder is I'm sure this tarot deck from yesterday is a different one from years back. I'm sooo sure the other box had 'The World' card on a blue box, this 'new' deck has on its box 'The Magician' card on a yellow box. So maybe what I thought was the same deck found throughout the years are actually multiple different decks? Or maybe the same one, and now a new one? I don't know. Whatever's going on it's always the Rider Waite deck in mint condition, date of print 1971.
Also this time I did a reading, when I found the cards. Never did that the other times. When I opened the box there were 10 cards separated in the box between the instructions and the rest of the deck. So I laid these 10 cards out in the Celtic cross spread in case they were intended for me to read, hence 10 separated from the rest of pack kind of thing. Got to say that reading was spot on accurate for all the crap that's going on here. I wrote the reading/cards down in my journal to submit some time soon.

Man I hope this makes sense, sorry if it doesn't lol! I've been exhausted lately. Might not have much time to get on here in the coming days either. But all the same thought it would be interesting to talk about this in real time in case anyone has any theories or whatnot cause this tarot stuff is so bizarre and intriguing (I really hope this makes sense!)
valkricry (49 stories) (3267 posts) mod
+2
8 years ago (2015-11-09)
Tweed,
Rider Waite is one of the most popular Tarot decks in the Western world. They were introduced in 1909 in the UK, I believe, then sometime in the '70s US Games bought the copyright. (However, I believe it was to the little instruction booklet and not the art work- could be wrong there.) I'm just too tired to Google- lol. Any way, the familiarity of this deck might figure into why we get it and not another.
Rook's deck was called The Stairs of Gold by Tavaglione. He had extra cards appear. His story is here: http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=12009.
You'll have to let me know if yours 'pops up' during that move:)
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-11-09)
Wait, scrap that. I just did a word search in the older comments and found the answer to my question, yours is a Rider Waite deck. Wow, okay the plot thickens. 😕
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-11-08)
Val, I've used them a few times but I've never properly taken them seriously. I don't know where they are right now lol. I think they're at my Mum's place, at least that's the last place I saw them about 7 years ago. Mum's kept them ever since. So far they've showed up on (not really a table) but a desk while I'm staying with her. It's happened maybe 4 times in the last 15 years. Mum's moving house soon and I'll be helping her with that. With the move in mind I've been thinking about the tarot deck lately, wondering if it'll show up with the move. Your tarot experience echoes my thoughts at the moment lol.

Of interest, Mum's used the same deck since her 20's and continues to use it today. It's a Rider Waite deck (the original tarot deck). The deck found at my Gran's is also a Rider Waite deck. Is this the same deck that shows up for you? Also to Rook, and anyone else having a tarot mystery, what was the deck?
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-11-08)
Val,
It's a shame that you were unable to set up an experiment to test the decks' synchronicity. Sorry to hear about your Brother's health; the wellbeing of loved ones must take priority over exploring a 'shot in the dark' theory that would probably not reveal much information that couldn't be transmitted via telephone.
Take care,
Biblio.
valkricry (49 stories) (3267 posts) mod
+1
8 years ago (2015-11-08)
Tweed,
Well, at least we both have the satisfaction of saying "Whew - it isn't JUST me!" lol
Mine seem quite content just staying in the drawer, but with yours popping up on tables, to me that sounds like a wanting to be used. Have you ever tried reading them?
valkricry (49 stories) (3267 posts) mod
 
8 years ago (2015-11-08)
Dear Biblio,
Sorry to disappoint, but we had never set up such an experiment. I don't think the thought ever actually crossed our minds.
At the time of the cards showing up my father was residing in Kentucky, my brother in California, and myself in Illinois.
You mention different layouts for the cards, and this is very true. There are a great many different ones each tailored for different questions, or rather, how much detail one wishes to have. There's a very basic general read done with three cards, a horseshoe spread that might have 5 or 7 cards, the Celtic Cross, a pentagram reading, the list goes on and on. I do know through personal experience, and from talking with others that some layouts seem more conducive then others for a particular 'reader' (one layout might produce 'static' or nonsense, but a different layout might produce a very clear reading.) I hope that makes some sense.
Your thought that if we used the cards simultaneously, with the same layout, would the same cards appear is very intriguing. I wish I could put it to the test. However, my father passed a few years back, and my brother's health is very bad.
valkricry (49 stories) (3267 posts) mod
 
8 years ago (2015-11-08)
Chey, Chria, and JustAnotherPerson,
I too thought perhaps someone was 'reaching out' to me with the cards. I've used that deck perhaps six times, always with very accurate results, yet there never seems to be a direct message for/about ME.
If you've read some of my other experiences, then you already know that I've always been able to hear spirits, and often just 'know' things. I've had visitations and can see things that others can't. So, I don't understand why one of those other methods would have been used as well.
Perhaps, it depends on the spirits ability, or maybe the message is the cards themselves. The assumption that it would be a communication is only logical. Makes me wonder. Thank you for reading and commenting.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-11-08)
Lordy Val, thanks for sharing this! I have a similar thing with a tarot deck. Started in 2000 when my Gran died, was clearing her house out and found a boxed 'new' looking tarot deck. No idea where it came from, she wasn't into stuff like that. No one else could account for it either. I left it in a pile only to have it show up on my BED when I came home! Long of the short is the deck turns up every once in a while, usually on a table😕. Only since joining YGS have I read other similar experiences with tarot decks or cards. WTH indeed!
Well I don't have much insight but gosh it's intriguing. I wonder why tarot cards in particular, there has to be a reason. Wish we knew why.

As a sidenote db, I've experienced the same utterly bizarre thing after a pet's passing! It really does defy the laws of physics in the most obvious way imaginable. I think about this A LOT and I've bagged stuff too. 😆
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2015-11-07)
Hi, Val.

There's something quite unsettling about the bilocation (then trilocation) of inanimate objects; people having doppelgangers or performing astral projection seems perfectly reasonable when compared to a complete tarot deck duplicating itself.

Did you and your dad or your brother try using the cards simultaneously? Would three individuals separately using the duplicated set of cards (one presumes with the duplicated red cloth cover) have the same effect of three people being present to read one set together? Would the readings be the same for the three decks, or would there be wildly different responses? I've always been curious about the medieval idea of sympathetic magics, especially when I read about quantum entanglement in particle physics. If each card is an exact duplicate, there's a very slim possibility that the dealt hand could have identical messages when read, even hundreds of miles away. (This is, of course, presuming that you both use the same layout; I've a vague notion that one of you prefers the Celtic Cross, and another prefers the Five-in-a-Row layout. Where was your dad living when this happened: in Illinois, or was he further east at that time?)

While I was engrossed in the story, I'll admit that I had odd mental images of Calvin's Duplicator in the "Calvin and Hobbes" comic strip, the Disney adaptation of "The Sorcerer's Apprentice," and -thanks to BGP- I've got the 'special effects' noise from "The Six-Million Dollar Man" as I imagined a surreal fight scene in which the tarot deck leaped, accordion-like, in a flying kick at the planchette-wielding ouija in the darkened hall closet in your apartment... Hey! 😁 E-mail Pixar about a "'Toy Story' on Elm Street" spin-off in which a college-aged Andy gets high at a frat party and plays games with divination tools... 🤔 Maybe not.

Best,
Biblio.
JustAnotherPerson (9 stories) (36 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2015-11-07)
Val,

Well, I must say that this was quite the story! I myself I have never used a Ouija board. My mom and dad have always warned me how dangerous they could be and I believe them. 😐

But, what I am thinking is that maybe someone is trying to talk to you? I mean... You said the board just randomly appeared and no one claimed to be the giver of the gift. And then the Tarot cards appeared. Maybe it is a sign? Someone was - is still possibly - trying to tell you something from behind the veil?

I'm not quite sure. 😕 But maybe you could give the cards a try (if you have not already)? I mean, you don't have to. It's just a friendly suggestion. 😊
chria29 (3 stories) (25 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-11-07)
My only thought or explanation is that one of your previous psychic friends or perhaps a family member even is sending them to you from the spirtual world. Perhaps they want to communicate with you? I don't know, but this story is very fascinating.
cheyenne24 (1 stories) (10 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2015-11-06)
Val-

Your story was indeed quite enjoyable to read.
I wish I could offer some insight into the matter that took place.
Thus reading, I am reminded of the only story I have currently posted in which objects (toys in this occation) have seemed to duplicate/multiply.

It is a rather baffling experience to say the least.

Reagrds,
Chey.
valkricry (49 stories) (3267 posts) mod
 
8 years ago (2015-11-06)
sds,
Awww - you sweet talker you! Yes, the whole experience is just one of those peculiar happenings in one's life that leave you shaking your head in baffled wonderment.
valkricry (49 stories) (3267 posts) mod
+1
8 years ago (2015-11-06)
sheetal,
Hi! Thanks for commenting. Actually, I haven't a clue on the why any of it happened. Except, as I told DarkAngel, could be that in my depression I attracted something negative. Perhaps the multiplying cards are a physical manifestation of the positive influences in my life?
valkricry (49 stories) (3267 posts) mod
+1
8 years ago (2015-11-06)
db,
Sorry to hear about your bird. There's many stories on here that tell of a beloved dog or cat paying 'visits', so I don't see why your bird couldn't, especially if it was very special to you.
valkricry (49 stories) (3267 posts) mod
 
8 years ago (2015-11-06)
Red,
Sorry, but I had a giggle at your mom's expense, or rather your comment about her 'experience'.
I really do believe that a person's emotional status plays a large role in the paranormal field. Alcohol and drugs affect that field, so I can see why she blamed the OB. Lol
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2015-11-06)
Hi Val, the moment I read it, I just sent it to my favs. I hadn't seen your name until I completed reading and I was just thinking who had written it in such a nice manner and was happy to know it was you.

Still I am also stumped like others. Don't know why it had happened and its weird. Such things do happen you know in all our lives and we just don't know why.

May be something never wanted you to bless that room and the closet and never wanted to leave that place. Its really something that the Tarot cards kept re-appearing after you have gifted it twice and its really a surprise that it came off the closet drawer when you asked Father Joe to come home to bless. A great read.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-11-06)
This is something scary... Really mysterious... Did you find any cause for the incident? Thanks or sharing
db (13 posts)
+5
8 years ago (2015-11-06)
Valkicry, Well done account. I've heard of things disappearing and reappearing but your story is something I would be troubled about. Maybe YGS needs to add a section titled 'Materializing and Dematerializing Matter' because we are having a situation now where it seems our ghostly pet lovebird that died within the last month along with our other differently colored bird keeps visiting leaving droppings and 1 to 3 feathers in the same couple of spots as they did in life (there's more to the story because my husband says he sees her too) The collection we have now is secured in a ziplock baggie and so far none have dematerialized so we don't know what to make of that!
Anyway, thanks for sharing!
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+4
8 years ago (2015-11-06)
Another great story from Val. I'm glad you resisted using the O.B. By yourself. I came home from work the one day and I saw my mothers O.B. In the garbage outside. I asked her about it and she told me it was spelling out nasty vile things to her and it had to be a demon or some other type of bad spirit. Looking at the glass of scotch next to her I knew what kind of spirits were in her. 😆
Regards
Red
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-11-05)
Val- All is well, thank you for asking! Relocated a couple months ago and it pretty much takes me "off the grid". Not such a bad thing I guess. I catch up while at work.

Appears nothing followed us to our new land. Which is good considering what it ended up doing. Obviously was not happy about us moving.

Looking forward to your next adventure!
valkricry (49 stories) (3267 posts) mod
 
8 years ago (2015-11-05)
DarkAngel,
As to the forces behind the cards and Ouija, I can only hazard guesses.
I think with the board, I may have attracted something quite negative because of the state I was in mentally. I had suffered three major 'life changes' in rapid succession. None of them good. I was one very broken person both in heart and spirit. Perhaps this bad entity thought that through my using the board it could get a hold on me. I don't really know.
With the cards, I don't get any sense of anything negative. I really haven't a clue as to WHY they keep returning.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: