You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Unexplained Occurrences

Real Ghost Stories

Unexplained Occurrences

 

I have always had an interest in the paranormal. I love listening to stories but I am not gullible and do not believe the majority of what I hear of others experiences. I am however a firm believer that there is life after death and our soul or spirit remain conscious of what is happening with the living.

I have had some experiences that I have dismissed or ignored because of fear of acknowledging what has happened; it is only as I'm older that I look back that I see how real they were.

I was 18 years old staying in a hotel in Castle Bar, Mayo in Ireland for a weekend with a group of work mates. I had been drinking earlier on in the day but this was no dream or illusion. The phone rang at 6.20 in the morning by one of our party who thought it would be funny to wake us up. I opened my eyes and there was a face looking at me. It was right there, the room was not light and not dark, where you could see shapes and make your way around. The figure was a man, I got that sense immediately, although there were no distinctive features: the eyes were black holes and there was black for nose and the mouth. The shape of the figure was definite although I did not see the shoulders down, it was just the face.

I sat up in bed and in shock looked away and back, not believing what I was seeing, and it was there not just my eyes. I screamed then, telling my friend in the next bed to turn on the light. I moved down the bed towards the light as I moved the figure moved with me, its face staying in front of mine. I got the sense that it was shocked or happy I could see it. It definitely wanted my attention. My friend turned on the light and it was gone. There were no reports of any ghosts in that room or hotel I was told by staff the next day.

When I was 20, I moved into a new flat with my 4 year old daughter and my boyfriend. I had previously lived in a old flat down the street from this for 5 months and had no spooky experiences and had no expectations of ghosts in this flat. I lived here for 4 years, and in that time there were some odd experiences. I cannot pinpoint when it started. I remember coming back from a weekend away for my 21st and the flat was full of blue bottles (flies) and I mean everywhere. Hundreds of them. There was no rubbish or dead animals, I keep a very tidy house always. I just could not explain it. When I think about it there were no dead ones, really. We just opened all the windows to get rid of them.

When my 2nd daughter was born a year later, I had the baby monitor on after I put her in her basket. I was sitting in the living room with my boyfriend when there was an old lady's voice clearly say, "look at the lovely baby." now I know that other homes can be picked up on these monitors but there were no children or babies living near me and the voice was definitely in our flat. The shivers went straight up my back and I had fear of my baby's safety. I never used the monitors again and still won't even though I have now moved.

My boyfriend worked away often and this night it was me and the baby alone in the home, my other daughter was at her nanny's house. I was getting settled in bed and my daughters room is next door, I heard a child's voice call "mummy". I went to get up but before I moved I realized my daughter was not home to call me. I just closed my eyes and pretended not to hear and ignored it from fear.

There were other things I dismissed. I would wake often unable to move and shout out, like having an immense pressure on top of me. The hoover would also turn on itself in the night I would have to get up and turn it off. I never saw anything but talking to my daughter now who is 13 years old, and who was 3-7 years at the time. She would often leave her room and get into my bed. But one night I HAD THE BABY IN MY BED SO SHE GOT INTO THE COT BESIDE MY BED. She was lying in the cot and a woman's face was looking in at her. She was a grey colour, and she was with a man. I think I remember my daughter saying something when she was younger but I dismissed it and she is adamant it happened, she remembers being scared for her baby sister and seeing this women more than once.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ireland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, joeno, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

joeno (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-24)
To answer the question on my childrens ability to see ghosts, its not something I talk to them about, my youngest has no experience I know off. My eldest has had them mentined experiences and also as a very young baby always had night sweats, talked and walked in her sleep always leaving her bed to get in mine during the night. Only when I to think of experiences to I remember. I also lived in another old house for less than a year. I felt uncomfortable in the house but ignored it as I was there on my own and the worst thing to do when afraid is to acknowledge it. My eldest daughter told me she say a person pass her bedroom door on the third floor she called out my name but the stair gate was on and I was downstairs. I was told stories only recently 7 years later that the house was haunted a tenant moved in and her child asked who was the man at the top of the stairs. There was no one there she could see, but she also did not like the atmosphere. She told the landlord and he told her the less she knew the better.
joeno (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-24)
Hi everyone thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my story, this is the first time I have posted anything and it is interesting to hear others opinions. My eldest daughter also told me when we lived the flat she would often see the face of an old women looking out of a window of an adjoining house, it did scare her as it was a cross expression that she had. I can confirm there was no old lady occupying the building at the time. This may or may not been a ghost but was odd. I did not mention in my story one night as I was settling down to sleep I heard children giggling, the sound was right at my ear it was clearly heard sounding like a couple of girls. This was not coming from any other part of the building or flat it was there at my ear, but like faint from a different place I'm sorry but its hard to explain.
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
Hi joeno, thanks for sharing your experience. This was really a very interesting old fashioned haunting to read. I loved your story. Sorry you had to deal with all of this. I think you're glad it's all over. Like the other posters I would also like to hear if your children experience any other paranormal experiences. I tend to believe it runs in the family bloodline to see ghosts. Take care. Trix. ❤
Aprilsnanny35 (3 stories) (35 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
I am thinking grandparents or great-grandparents looking into the cot? It sounds like they are just checking in.
Wishing you well. 😊
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
joeno: As the previous posters have mentioned you are able to sense spirits and can openly perceive them and they also know this. Do you still have experiences lately? Your daughter also has the ability to perceive them aswell, how do they handle it?

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-19)
joeno,
I have to agree, the first experience you told about was the weirdest one of all. I don't know how I'd react either.
You do seem to have a sensitivity to the spirits, that's pretty obvious. But now that you know you daughter does also, how are you handling it?

Jav
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-19)
I really enjoyed reading your stories... The 1st one really took my interest, your sensing his surprise and pursuit across the room, "hey, she can see me!"
the skeptic always tells the good story.
the1unknown216 (2 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-09-19)
if your daughters don't know about your paranormal exp. They might be safer, you knowing they won't be scared. So it might be best if only your boyfriend knows.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-19)
Young children are more immune to the paranormal so that's not a surprise. You, on the other hand, could be sentitive to these things. Has your boyfriend experienced anything? Have you told him of what you experienced? Has both of your daughters experienced anything?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: