You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Protective Spirit?

Real Ghost Stories

Protective Spirit?

 

In my previous story I mentioned that my daughter spooked me when she was about 8 years old by telling me she was having nightmares about things that sounded a lot like things I had been seeing that I suspected were some kind of apparitions. I empowered a dream catcher to keep things away from her and the nightmares stopped. She moved into a shared apartment for college just under 2 weeks ago and did not take the dream catcher with her. She has not seen any shadows, but something else unusual has been spotted.

Over the past ten years I have on occasion seen a shadow near her door that looked like a dog. I jokingly called it her guard dog, but in all honesty assumed it was a shadow of something that the angle of light was making look dog-ish. So many things that seem paranormal turn out to have an ordinary explanation, and I probably only saw it half a dozen times so though I teased I never took the idea seriously. But when I was asking her about seeing shadows she told me that one of her roommates saw something the second night they were there.

She said she had walked past my daughter's closed bedroom door going to the bathroom when she saw a dog stand up as if it had been lying in front of the door. She stopped, thinking "nobody here has a dog," and suddenly it was gone. She laughingly asked my daughter if she had smuggled in a pet the next morning. Later that day one of the guys in the apartment next to them told them he thought someone in one of the apartments had a dog, even though the complex does not allow them, because he had heard growling the night before.

I can't help but feel the coincidences are piling up here. The strangest thing is that we have never owned a dog. My daughter loves all animals, in fact she is going to school for wildlife conservation, but we have always lived in town so we have only had cats for pets. The only theory I can come up with is that she somehow projects a protective energy in her sleep that takes the form of a dog. But that seems kind of "out there" to me so I would love to hear alternate theories, or anything that could explain these strange sightings

Other hauntings by Nysa

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Nysa, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

michaelsaladfingers (34 posts)
-3
12 years ago (2012-01-13)
nysa, I disagree with this whole thing. How could the dog possibly do that? Next time you call someone a liar, make sure that you don't have double standards, which you dont. I'm not calling you a liar, but there is not enough info that tels me your telling then truth. I think its weird.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-14)
Well I have been doing some reading. I read up a little on spirit guides & my understanding is that it is the spirit of the animal in question, kind of a manifestation of the characteristics that make up that kind of animal. That is usually comes to a person to teach them a lesson associated with those characteristics or to help them understand themselves through association with that spirit animal. I have also learned that there is quite a bit of folklore that suggests a person can project their double / astral body / spirit in the form of an animal while they are sleeping or in a trance. I am not sure we will know which it is, if it is either, until my daughter takes it on as a spiritual quest of sorts.
generalchaos (2 stories) (141 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-05)
[at] Nysa - there's a fairly good book that covers the basics by Ted Andrews, called _Animal Speak_.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-10-04)
Nysa - good luck with the research to both you and your daughter. Will you let us know what you find out? I am truly curious if this "dog" is a spirit guide. He (or she) is with your daughter for a reason and this is the only thing I can think of that makes sense. Doesn't mean I'm right, of course 😆. It just makes sense to me LOL.

If I'm wrong, it means I've learned something and that's even better 😉.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-04)
Thanks Miracles I think I will go to my old standby - the library - & do a little research.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-10-04)
Nysa - in all honesty I'm in the early stages of learning about them myself. The reason I said I'm playing a hunch is because I just learned a coyote is one of mine. I was meditating one night and during meditation I said I was ready to meet my spirit guides. I heard the words "a coyote is one." I had also seen a dog-shaped animal during meditation several times. So this is why I'm thinking this may be what is following your daughter.

Unfortunately I can't give you any better information, but the net is full of good sites. And I'm sure there are many people on here who know about spirit guides. But like some of the stories, you'll get a lot of "b*llsh*t" too 😉 Just pull up your pants legs and wade threw it. I've been watching and I think you've got it figured out 😆
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-04)
I don't really know much about spirit guides or the philosophy behind the concept so I had not thought of that. Is it possible to give the basics in short form here? I will mention it to her. She does not meditate regularly or attend to her spiritual life much at all unfortunately but maybe she will keep it in mind. Are there other signs for her to watch for that she might have a spirit guide she might want to get in tune with?
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-10-04)
Nysa - darn, should have proofed a little bit better, huh? Oh well, I think you know what I meant 😆
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-10-04)
Nysa - just a "crackpot theory," but I wonder if it's one of your daughter's spirit guides, wolf, coyote, etc. Does your daughter meditate? If so, maybe she could meditate and see if she can tap into her spirit animal spirit guides and see if that is one of them. Just playing a hunch here 😉
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-04)
I know I just can't come up with a good explanation. I am glad it is there, whatever it is. And I did tell her to stay away from the guy who heard growling! Lol
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-03)
Nysa,
Well, you may not have owned any dogs, but it does seem the dog owns your daughter. I don't mean that half as weird as it came out, but you know what I mean.
I don't see any problem here. I'd say it's more a blessing than anything else. It has made it's presence known and that would ease my fears, of course that's only because of my affinity for dogs.
Just a wild guess here, but maybe it came with the dream-catcher? But, the dream-catcher stayed back home...hmmm.
You know you do this to me every time, don't you? I still think about the unending footsteps up those stairs too. Now it's the dog. I need to think about this one a bit. I'll be back. 😕

Jav

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: