You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Protective Grandmother

Real Ghost Stories

Protective Grandmother

 

My ex-girlfriend and I used to go to a Thai restaurant on the other end of town every now and again (we went maybe three times during the course of our 1.5 year relationship). She had two relatives buried nearby; her grandmother (whom she missed terribly) and her father (whom she regretted having not known very well).

Whenever we went to this Thai place we would always drive over to the cemetery and visit their graves. To be honest, it was more boring than anything to me at the time. I mean, I didn't act bored but I might have joked around a bit as that's in my nature, though I was certainly never disrespectful. However, her grandmother's headstone was the type that had a little oval photograph of the deceased built into it. It never really 'scared' me but she and her grandmother did bare a striking resemblance to one another, so it was a little off-putting.

Our relationship wasn't the greatest, but she had a son (8 years old) who was about the same age as my little brothers were when I had left home at 18. He and I had formed a pretty tight bond, so despite the fact that her and I really weren't a great match we stayed together longer than we probably would have otherwise.

One night, when we were asleep in her apartment, I had this weird "dream". I put dream in quotation marks because normally when I dream (which is quite often, almost every night) there are a lot of images or some kind of plot-line -- bizarre as they may sometimes be. This dream was different in that I was more aware of myself. And I somehow gained the realization that since my mind was in this sleep state I could communicate with the dead.

Once I had gained this realization, I heard a woman's voice. I don't remember exactly what it said but it was something along the lines of, "You had better take good care of (insert ex-girlfriend's name)." It was not what the voice said, so much as the tone. It was very stern and cold sounding.

I immediately woke up from the dream and opened my eyes to see the figure of a woman standing in one corner of the room. The image stayed for several seconds before slowly fading away. Now, I know it is very easy to dismiss this as a dream -- and maybe that's all it was. But it really felt like more than that at the time (three years ago) and still does now.

She and I parted ways a couple months after that simply because we were not a good fit for one another and we knew it; somehow I think her grandmother knew it too!

Other hauntings by Iwant2believe

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Iwant2believe, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Iwant2believe (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-17)
SDS, yes our relationship was quite rocky for some time before I had the 'dream'. Our decision to split didn't really have anything to do with my 'dream' it was just time. And don't get me wrong, there were some good times, too. At least enough for us to put up with the bad times for as long as we did.:)

Miracles; hmmm, I hadn't thought of that! Now I kind of wish I had stayed with her - I could have seen a ghost!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-12)
Iwant2believe - I agree with you. Apparently your ex's grandmother knew you two weren't meant for each other and she was letting you know it. Honestly, I think that's great 😊 She must have really cared for her granddaughter very much to have given you such a warning.

I think, for your sake, I'm glad you paid attention to her the first time she came to you. I'd hate to think what measures she might have gone to to get your attention if you hadn't 😆
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-10)
Hi Iwant2believe, that is interesting. She warned you to take good care of her but I want to ask you if you had any differences with your ex then? Because you said after a couple of months from that incident, you parted ways with her.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Iwant2believe (2 stories) (4 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-09)
No, I never told her about the dream. I woke her up right after it happened though but I didn't know what to say, so I just said "Nevermind." LOL If she got any warnings about me from her grandmother she never told me about them.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-07-09)
Very interesting story.
Did you ever tell your girlfriend about your "dream"?
I wonder if the old lady warned her granddaughter against you.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience with us.
Iwant2believe (2 stories) (4 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-08)
I should add that when I was looking at this figure it was very distinct. I couldn't make out a face but the figure was more than just a silhouette and I was wide-awake for the 4-5 seconds it was there. No dream image has ever remained like that once I was awake.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: