You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Lady In The Hallway

Real Ghost Stories

Lady In The Hallway

 

When I was 4 years old (1985) my parents bought a house that was built in the early 1950's. Being as young as I was I didn't know the history of the house or who owned it before we moved there.

My bed room was the middle room located along the long hallway in our house. My sister's room was at the front end of the hallway near the living room and my parent's room was at the back end of the hallway, near the kitchen. We lived in a suburban neighborhood so our next door neighbor's house was situated very close ours. He had installed a security light on the side of his house, that faced my bedroom window. This light was very bright and made it hard for me to fall sleep some nights. Needless to say, I never needed a nightlight and was able to see quite well in the "dark".

When I was about 10 or 11 years old I woke up in the middle of the night to use the restroom. The house was dark and everyone else was asleep. As I stepped into the hallway I noticed someone in a long nightgown with long hair standing there looking at me, in the dark it looked like my sister. My sister was notorious for sleep walking so I told her to go back to bed. The person didn't move. I reached out to touch her to guide her back to her room and my hand went through the person and hit the wall behind her. I got a little scared and went to my sisters room to see if she was there. Sure enough she was lying in bed asleep, I even touched her face to make sure it was her.

So I head back down the hall, because I still had to use the restroom. The person in the long nightgown had turned to face me coming down the hall from my sister's room and watched me walk past her to the bathroom. When I was done in the bathroom I went back to my room with my eyes closed and felt my way along the hall so I didn't see the lady/girl in the nightgown again. It wasn't easy to go back to sleep after that, but for once I was glad to have the security light streaming in my window.

The next morning I mentioned to my mom about the lady/girl in the nightgown I saw in the hallway. My mom told me that on several occasions when she would open the door from the kitchen to the hall she would see a person in a nightgown running down the hall towards mine and my sister's bedrooms. At first she thought it was us playing around past our bedtimes but she would check on us and we would be asleep in our beds.

Another time, many years later around 2002, one morning my dad was at home alone and asleep in bed. He heard the floorboards creaking from footsteps walking down the hallway. He said the footsteps stopped in his doorway and he could feel someone watching him. It was already daylight outside so he could have seen if someone was standing there, but there wasn't anyone else home.

Other occurrences were kitchen cabinets being opened and lights being switched on when no one was in the room.

When I was in my teens I was finally told that the previous owners of the house was an elderly man and his wife. The man passed away and the woman got so depressed she shot herself in the house. When my parents bought the house they were lead to believe the woman killed herself in the bathtub. But one summer after living in the house for 15+ years we noticed dark brown spots that seeped through the paint on the kitchen ceiling. We figured out she hadn't done it in the bathtub but rather in the kitchen.

My dad sold the house in about 2005. I was sad because that was my childhood home. I was never scared of the ghost. I wish he still lived there so I could try to communicate with her now that I know more about ghost hunting. From what I could tell she was just trying to let us know she was there and never intended to scare or harm us.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, TwstedWrds, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Dameon (1 stories) (6 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-31)
I'm with you some times people just arent afraid of what they don't understand. I have had some pretty "scary" stuff happen to me and freaking out and running and screaming doesn't help one bit.
TwstedWrds (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-31)
This happened almost 20 years ago. I can't remember why I wasn't completely terrified and am really surprised I didn't stand right there and wet myself. But I was never scared of her, after knowing she was in the house. I think she was as surprised as I was to come face to face with me. It was like she wasn't expecting me to be awake at that hour.
In my half asleep state of mind I could kind of tell she wasn't completely solid, but being half asleep and 10 years old I didn't totally grasp the concept right away that it could be a ghost.

I recently, after writing this story, asked my dad her whole name and tried to do some research to find a picture of her or her death certificate. I want to see what she looked like in real life or at least her body size measurements (weight & height) to see if that is who I actually saw.
She was slightly taller than I was at that age, and was a slim build.
I haven't' found any information yet but I will post an update if I do.
Thanks for your responses.
spica (2 stories) (55 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-31)
Like what Shell1982 said, you're brave enough to face these entities by yourself... You may be gifted. 😊
audiel2609 (1 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-30)
Maybe she just want some comfort... But I'm happy when you said that you want to communicate with her because I can sense that you want to help her...:)
Shell1982 (70 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-30)
You got "a little scared" when you put your hand through what seemed to be a perfectly solid person? And you didn't run away or scream, and even walked through/past the apparition to get back to bed? You must be very brave.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: