You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: There's Something In The Hallway

Real Ghost Stories

There's Something In The Hallway

 

There was a time when I shared a bedroom with my younger brother. It was 1976. I was about 7 years. Being the older one, I slept on the top bunk of our bunk bed. Our bedroom was on the main floor of our two-story house. Our parents lived upstairs.

We lived in a town called Mill Valley, a small community just north of the Golden Gate. One quiet evening, I lay awake facing backwards in my bed, staring down the hallway that extended to my bedroom. I briefly glimpsed away at one point but turned back. At that moment, I saw a large object in the hallway. It was an Angel.

Having some religious training, I expected it to be my Guardian Angel. He was larger than a man. His head reached to the ceiling. His sides reached to the walls. I couldn't see through him, but the edges appeared to be semi-transparent. I could see a set of wings from behind the body. He had a faint glow. The house was quiet, so quiet that I could hear the refrigerator running back in the kitchen. He stood there motionless about halfway down the hallway, looking straight at me. I remember looking at him, unafraid and somewhat curious, but not surprised.

This went on for a time until I glimpsed away again. When I turned back, he was gone. But then something else happened. There was something coming down the staircase from upstairs. I continued to watch and began to see a line of people come down the staircase, turn the corner, and proceed down the hallway towards me. But there was something different about these people. They too had a pale semi-transparent form, but something had happened to them. For some reason, they were compressed down to what seemed to be only three feet tall. They were moving. But they couldn't move like we do. Instead it was a staggered, staccato like movement. And there was something else. These people were dressed as from the past. There was at least one man who had a top hat. A woman had a parasol on her shoulder.

They didn't seem to notice me. Instead, they proceeded to the point where the Angel had stood. One by one they disappeared as the reached that point. It was as if there was an invisible door they were passing through.

I can explain some of this. At that time my parents were dabbling in spiritual activities and programs, one being known as "mind dynamics". It was the popular thing back at that time with people searching beyond the confines of their earthly existence. What happens is this practice can unknowingly invite "unwanted guests".

There was a presence upstairs during this time. My cousin had felt it when she briefly stayed up there. My father acknowledged seeing a devil at the foot of his bed. The Angel was guarding us children.

Soon after, my brother and I both witnessed an event happen outside our bedroom window one night. The two of us were looking out the window when suddenly a ball of fire came racing towards us. It appeared to be roughly the size of a basketball. I thought it would come crashing through, but just as it reached the window, it stopped and made a 90-degree turn to the left. We looked at each other wondering what we both saw. I think it was once again a form of protection for us.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, mmonday01, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Teffy88 (10 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2021-12-12)
This reminds me of something I've never been able to explain. A few years back I was sleeping on the couch and woke up to a small man in an old looking war uniform. Everything looked normal except for the fact he was maybe 3 ft tall. He didn't look like a small person/dwarf (?) though. And he had a grey-ish cast.
Whatever it was didn't scare me. I felt completely relaxed as a matter of fact. I was so insanely tired I could barely hold my eyes open and fell asleep while he was standing 6ft away from me. As weird as it sounds, I think it made me calmer. Idk, I was just really calm and relaxed in a situation I normally would've been terrified in.

Do you have any updates? Ever find out what those things were?
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-06-24)
Mmondsy01,

From the description you have given, to me it seems as though the spirits were awaiting for their time to pass through.
Maybe "the light" as many would describe it, or just a door way as you did.

And the Angel you saw could have possibly been your guardian angel, and or the one to come visit, and at the same time, retrieving those whom were waiting.

Multi-tasking so to speak.
As I read this, I just imagined what you saw incredible!

Anyhow...

Thanks for sharing
Spiritwaiting
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+6
8 years ago (2016-06-17)
Mmonday--Your account has been in my head for several days. The way you describe the figures in the hallway reminded me strongly of a somewhat similar experience I have, frustratingly, not been able to find in my collection of case study books. However, elfstone's brief description of the figures her mother saw as a little girl emerging from a wardrobe was very similar.

That said, I was able to find one thoroughly fascinating case study that took place in 1927. Three women had left an evening service at their church in a rural English town. It was a very foggy night but suddenly figures began emerging from the mist. A figure of a short man was described as seeming to disappear into the dress of one of the women. To quote, "In another moment we were all bewildered at the sight around us; men, women, children and dogs, all were moving briskly about, some singly, others in groups, all without a sound; they appeared mist like. There was a broad strip of grass on our right, and a narrow strip on our left; the figures were hidden directly they got on either of these dark strips, or when they passed INTO ourselves... Some seemed to rise out of the grass on either side of us; others seemed to pass through us, and come out on the other side."

Here's the bit that really seems to tie in with your account, "The figures all seemed short, dwarf like... The women were dressed in bygone fashion, high bonnets, big cloaks or shawls and large flounces on their dresses, such as I remember when I was a child."

The small size of the figures and the outdated clothing are strikingly similar to your account. Seems quite probable that the type of phenomenon that occurred in this old case is of a similar variety to your much more recent example. I should add that the above case I reference was very well attested to and the author of the book it is taken from (and who interviewed the witnesses) was a member of the Society of Psychical Research. Thanks for sharing your thought provoking account.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-06-17)
Val lol I posted the link to those pics from image searches and didn't check the site source of the pic haha thanks for explaining that!

Biblio I vaguely remember hearing about that tax and window info on QI once. I did notice that red Dalek thing behind and wondered what the heck was going on lol.

Elfstone, your mother's experience feels somehow related to Mmonday's. The same phenomenon or something. No idea what it means but it does sound very similar.
elfstone810 (227 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-06-17)
Mmonday,

Your experience with the procession of disappearing people reminds me of something my mother told me years ago.

Her own mother died suddenly of puerperal fever in 1925, when Mom was four. In the aftermath of her death, Mom's father (my grandfather) left Kansas City with his children and returned to the Moberly, Missouri, area, where they had family.

When they first arrived they stayed with relatives and Mom was put to sleep in a bedroom with a big wardrobe on the wall opposite the bed.

She said that she remembered lying there at night and watching a whole parade of people come out of the wardrobe and march towards the bed. As they approached, they got smaller and smaller until they disappeared under the foot of the bed.

She said she didn't feel afraid and she thought she was probably imagining it because of the trauma of losing her mother, but seventy years later she still remembered it vividly and she was sure she was awake.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-06-16)
Tweed
That last comment about he didn't see the hole in my genetic theory. It should have said he didn't see the holes in my genetic theory. It was a cheesy comment.
Regards
Red
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+4
8 years ago (2016-06-16)
Mmonday,
I'd like to clarify a commonly-held historical misconception, though Tweed clearly is aware of the distinction: historically, not everyone was terribly short. Shorter, yes; midgets and dwarves, no. Houses had to be heated in winter, and the smaller the space, the less fuel was used. People were also taxed on the size of the house they owned: in England, the size of the ground floor was the rule, hence all of the projecting gable-ends in Tudor England; in 1700s Amsterdam, homes were taxed on the length of wall facing the canal, so there are many narrow houses with terrifyingly steep staircases leading up to the fifth and sixth storeys; in post-Civil War America, many new houses were taxed on the number of doors, so architects used floor-to-ceiling counterweighted sash windows that -essentially- dropped into pockets in the cellar walls, providing a comfortable exit to the porch without all the bother of paying an annual tax on having a door. Much of life in past centuries was lived outside the home; only with the onset of the industrial revolution did spending daytime indoors become commonplace for all economic classes. The idea that previous generations had been shorter was concocted later, to account for the tiny structures and to promote the new, rational, mechanized lifestyle of the late 1800s. However, if you visit Roman ruins -for example- the seats in the millennia-old arenas easily accommodate people between 5'4' and 6'. Those over 6'2" would have an uncomfortable time, granted, but I've sat in subway trains, Boeing 747s, and Broadway theaters with less leg room (The Noel Coward and The Majestic theaters come to mind: I'm only 5'6" and I felt cramped).

The slightly-shorter stature of past generations wouldn't account for Mmonday's seeing the individuals as 3-feet high, especially as he was a 7-year-old (roughly) who was lying in bed. I readily admit I have no idea what could account for the visual compression he recalls, especially as adults tend to remember objects/places from childhood as *larger* than is the case.

A sidenote for Tweed: Behind the oddly-dressed Deckstar lunatic, there's a barrel; look over the top of the barrel and there's a red Dalek lurking in the shrubbery next door. Perhaps he's mistaken this Deckstar individual for a malfunctioning Tardis; the commentary on the page does begin with "This week I stepped into a time machine and headed all the way back to the 18th century." Oh, well, if the Dalek doesn't get him, clearly the Joker will: www.flickr.com/photos/deckstar88/8224768067/in/photostream/

-Biblio
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-16)
Tweed, apparently that 'whatever' is Deckstar (http://deckstarsdaysout.info/experience-life-18th-century-deckstar-2/)
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-06-16)
Red, when I was about ten when we spent the day at 'Captain Cook's Cottage', which was built in the 1700's and moved to Melbourne in the early 1900's. It's always been maintained and restored to it's 1700's period, including furnishings and everything else. Being a ten year old I was pretty taken by the whole house being 'my size'. That was the day I learned about historical average heights. 😊
There's been a few experiences on here of people describing small people dressed in period clothes and I assume this to be indicative of their actual height for the period they lived in.
There are many old cottage homes around Britain which have lower ceilings and narrower doorways compared with todays industry standards.

I tried to find some interior photos of Cook's Cottage but none turned up. Here's some external pics with people, you get an idea of how small the place is.

It wouldn't be Australia without some graffiti.
Http://images.theage.com.au/2014/01/24/5102020/729cook-620x349.jpg

Day release at the asylum, I don't know.
Http://deckstarsdaysout.info/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/MG_90841.jpg
Is that whatever holding a can of Fosters? Love how the security camera's pointing straight at them.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+4
8 years ago (2016-06-16)
Mmonday

I have the same questions Dandk has about the little people so I won't be redundant. You had a very cool experience but because of Tweeds comment I have the 7 Dwarves running around your house.

Tweed How tall are you?😆 I would be about 5'5" if my spine was straight. But my cousins on my mothers side 1-boy 2-girls are all over 6' tall. I once told my father if it wasn't for his Swiss genes (he was the first born here) I would be taller. He thought for a minute and said I might be right. He didn't see the hole in my genetic theory.

Ashar,We all have gaurdian angels, but they rarely show themselves. Mine never did but has saved my life more than once.

Regards
Red
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+6
8 years ago (2016-06-16)
Tweed: Miracles and I have noticed that we go through periods of similar stories a lot. And what's really strange is that most times we're pretty backed up in the queue so there's no way one member would know what another is going to submit. We've been through Ouija, black eyed kids, Bloody Mary, shadow people, elementals, etc. It's very odd, but it happens quite frequently. We scratch our heads, too. 😆 😆 😆
ashar123 (6 stories) (168 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-06-15)
Surely the angel was a guardian for you all. Seeing a devil near the foot of the bed by your father is quite threatening but indeed the angel was there to protect you. I wish I had one for myself too from the unwanted guest in my life.

A nice and a fascinating experience. Thanks for sharing. 😁
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-06-15)
😲 Another flippin fireball?! I search online for yonks about these and here's not one but TWO submissions on here today what the what?

Mmonday, hello, sorry about my brash opening.

Very curious here, did that fireball make any sound?

Onto the small peeps, you described them as appearing compressed to about 3 ft. Back in olden times humans were much, much shorter than we are today. So these ghosts may have been 'actual size' (say 4 to 5 ft) looking 'miniature' to a modern era person, your good self.

I really love your reasoning that the angel figure was there to protect you, and the fireball too. Cool stuff. Thanks so much for sharing. 😊
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-06-15)
Mmonday01,
Thanks for sharing your interesting story. I'm wondering if you remember the expressions on the faces of the short people? Also, were they looking around at all or did they seem unaware? How many, roughly, were there?

Also, did it seem like these people had colors in their clothing, or was everything with kind of a gray or dreary blue hue?

And last, do you remember any events during the night or while dreaming, during the few days after that?

Thanks again for the story.
Dandk

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: