You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Men Who Mumbled

Real Ghost Stories

The Men Who Mumbled

 

When I was very small, about seven or eight years old, my parents were renovating our house. For a short time, my sister (3 or 4 years old at the time) and I were sharing a bedroom. We had bunk beds, and I slept on the top bunk while she occupied the bottom.

Even though we shared a room, we enjoyed having what we called 'sleepovers'. We would tuck one end of a large blanket beneath the mattress of my bunk, then close the other end of the blanket in the drawers of our dresser, which was directly across from our bed. It formed a sort of tent that sloped downward, and we would put sleeping bags beneath it and sit up, reading books and playing with Barbies. Eventually, our mother would tell us it was time for lights out, and we would get into our sleeping bags and go to sleep.

This sisterly tradition continued even after I'd been given my own bedroom. During one of these sleepovers after we'd been moved into separate rooms, I woke up in the middle of the night. At first I wasn't sure why I was awake, but as I drifted back into consciousness I realized that I'd heard the sound of a group of people talking. I paused for a moment, listening to the inky blackness around me. There were definitely people talking, and they were right outside the door. The door was a mere two feet from where our heads lay.

Somehow knowing that she was awake, I breathed my sister's name out into the dark as quietly as I could, asking her if she heard it. She said she did, and she asked what they were saying. I told her I didn't know. It sounded like a group of men, all crowded together outside her door, mumbling to one another, their voices so quiet and low that neither of us could understand them. Their voices were all overlapping, like none of them wanted to let any of the others dominate the conversation, but they all spoke in quiet mumbles, like they didn't want to wake us up.

While we listened, I imagined them to be tall silhouettes, huddled together with their shoulders touching, heads bent together like they were planning something. Lucky for us, the bedroom door was closed. We never had to look at these men, but we heard them many times during that particular year.

Often, we would ask our mom if Dad had fallen asleep with his television on, or whether he'd gotten up at some point in the night. Her answers were always 'no'. Eventually, the men either stopped talking, or we just stopped hearing them. I haven't heard any of their conversations since I was eight or nine. Instead, something else in the house started calling our names. But that's a story for another time.

Other hauntings by little_love_lolo

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Washington

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, little_love_lolo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

little_love_lolo (4 stories) (33 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-30)
[at] Krystallia: When I say group, I mean three or four (I'm leaning more toward four) men. Full-grown men, as well. Not young men or teenagers, but grown men with deep voices. It was just the vibe they were giving off through the door. You're right, the renovation could definitely have jarred some spirits, maybe from the old logging camp.

[at] Miracles: No problem, it's really interesting to hear about people's similar experiences!

[at] reptilian: We have SO many antiques and odd items in my parents' house, it wouldn't surprise me if one or more had a spirit attached to it (I'm actually fairly certain some of them do).

An interesting point: there's a distinct possibility that activity in my parents' house is more prevalent when I'm there. I was gone (as in 'out of the country') for about a year, and no one can remember anything happening during that time. I'm living in my own apartment now, and things don't really seem to happen unless I'm at the house. Maybe the spirits really like to bother me? 😉
XxTwistedAngelxX (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-30)
I've experienced something like this recently. I will post my story when the site starts working properly.
Emmapops (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-30)
This is really strange, I used to hear something very similar when I was growing up in my old house, but I'd also hear a group of women talking over eachother too, and it would seem like they were circling me! I used to have a lot of night terrors so I put it down to that in the end, but I'll always remember how much it scared me!
reptilian (45 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-30)
This is interesting. The only time I ever heard a whole bunch of voices talking over one another so that I couldn't understand it was when I was handling some South American artefacts.
It is probably unrelated, but are you aware of the history of the bit of land you were living on? Or did you have any "unique" items in the house?
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-29)
I have heard mumblings, a cacophony of voices, in my sleep, usually when struggling to wake up from a dream. It only happens when I sleep during the middle of the day on the sofa in our TV room which is in the center of the house. Once, though, I thought I heard them in the middle of the night and sent my husband downstairs with a tennis racket. What am I hearing?
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-29)
little_love_lolo - for many years I would hear voices just loud enough that they caught my attention. No matter how hard I listened, I could never decipher what they were saying. Sometimes they were men, most of the time women and children. Never men and women/children together though. Odd that I never thought about that until now. Huh 😕.

Anyway, one day my daughter told me she heard men talking the night before but she couldn't understand what they were saying. This went on for several nights. No matter how hard she listened, she couldn't figure out what they were saying. I told her the only thing I can figure out is when we are supposed to hear what they are saying, they will tell us.

It still happens and I still strain my ears trying to see if I can pick out even a word or two. One night I was on the phone and I had to cover my right ear with my hand because the voices were so loud. They talked for about 5 minutes and then just got quiet.

Sorry, I didn't mean to tell a story on your comment section, but I felt there may be something here in all the experiences that might help us figure this out. Another one of the mysteries I've been trying to explain or at least understand better.
KRYSTALLIA (64 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-29)
Interesting story... When you say "group of people" what exactly do you mean?3-4 maybe more? I know there is no way to determine the exact number but perhaps an approximate number? I read in your previous story that your home was previously a logging camp for Japanese students and then a Boy Scout camp. Is it the same property you are referring to here? You also mention a renovation. My crack pot input here... Perhaps spirits slightlty disturbed from the renovation or a residual haunting from the camps? 😊 Like a bunch of kids conspriring to either play a prank on someone else or laying out a plan to beat another team in somesort of game? Or spirits "protesting" to all the changes going on?
Just a thought.

Thank you for posting

❤ Krys
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-28)
Yes it sounds very much the same. I was a little bit scared but mostly curious & frustrated that I could not catch any words. I will be anxious to hear what others have to say about this. Crackpot theories anyone?
Dameon (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-28)
Thanks for sharing I get this type of thing all the time when I'm alone in the house. I typically write it off as neighbors or something carrying on the wind. But you can never be sure.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-28)
That is so spooky. It sounds like some sort of ghostly gathering, almost reminds me a bit of a clandenstine town hall meeting or some kind of secret group. Do you know anything about the land your house is/was on? Anything you might be able to find out about what was there before your home?
little_love_lolo (4 stories) (33 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-28)
Nysa, that's the EXACT same feeling I got from these men. Like they were planning something, or speaking about something that no one else was supposed to know about, right? How strange! Did you ever feel scared or threatened, or were you just extremely confused, like me?
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-28)
When I was a child we lived in a house for a short while in which I could hear 2 women speaking just quietly enough that I could not make out any words but could tell it was 2 different voices & thought their tone was conspiratorial. I would strain my ears & creep around the house trying to get closer trying to catch just one word, but to no avail. I did not know what to make of it then & I still don't know now.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: