You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Bothering Me At Work

Real Ghost Stories

Bothering Me At Work

 

I am a janitor and I have one main building I do most of my hours in. I am alone most of my shift, and it's mostly offices and cubicles that I do. I clean several parts of the building but these two specific sections, from the start of my working here in January, have given me the creeps. I would hear wastebaskets moving around a bit after I walked past them, but nothing major for a few months. My co-worker who used to do those sections and now does a different section of the building said she felt it too and even was touched once. I was comforted knowing I wasn't crazy and also I had someone I could talk to about what went on without judgement.

One Wednesday night back in March of this year, I had one of the worst worknights of my life. At the time I was only there for three hours, but the entirety of the shift I was overwhelmed by dread, grief, and sadness. I was crying most of the night. I felt as though someone I loved was going to, or had, died. It was terrifying. Everything in my life was fine though, and I lost no one around that time, and haven't since. The next night at work, it was peaceful again. I don't know why this happened but it was the first time in my life I wished I didn't get paranormal experiences.

Other than motion sensor lights coming on sometimes and hearing odd sounds, it has been tolerable... If it was bothering me, I would ask it to stop, and it would. I thought it was just one ghost, a man, and that we had a mutual respect for each other. This all was fine and I was okay with... Until last Thursday.

I saw a shadow peeking around corners at me as I emptied wastebaskets. I heard wastebaskets scooting on the ground and frames on the wall moving behind me, and footsteps following me as I walked down the halls. I heard a woman talking in the large cubicle area when no one was there (I couldn't make out what she said), and had there been someone in there the motion sensor lights would have been on. I felt very uneasy and asked them all to please leave me alone but they did not. I was truly frightened.

The only explanation I could come up with is that the night before I had extra help to finish those sections and maybe they were upset that I hadn't warned them so they were making it known? I have been there several months and if I hear something I say a friendly hello and have never been mean or disrespectful to whatever is there. I also feel a bit uneasy because I thought it was just one spirit, but now there is who KNOWS how many. I thought it was a man, but I heard the woman's voice and my co-worker says she has heard a child as well.

I don't know the history of the building. The current business there has only been there since the '80s and I'm not sure how long the building has been there.

I just want to know if there's anything I can do to help calm them down or leave me alone while I'm working... It's a very detail oriented job and I need to be focused and not miss anything and when I am sitting there turning my head at what sounds like people following me around I can't concentrate! (I've told them they were distracting me from my job as well... Didn't help!)

Is there some herbs, stones, scents, SOMETHING I can do to keep them all at peace? Or methods to meditate and keep myself strong and not to be scared? Any help would be very much appreciated. This is the only job I can get right now, and I don't want to lose it because these friends are wanting to be social now!

Thanks for reading and any help!

Other hauntings by smixie

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Minnesota

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, smixie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

mysterPOO (63 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-24)
well,the story was indeed scary.infact,i usually repeat the exact mantra by nysa. How about you try that too? Maybe it will work out or no. Just give it a try. Do please update your encounters there... Thnk u... 😊
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-31)
Wow Moongrim, I just wanted to say thank you for posting that link. What a great resource. I had never come across a lot of that information. The burial practices were especially interesting to me.
smixie (4 stories) (17 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-31)
twsted- that's what I've been doing. It helps with the noise, kind of, I have to have only one bud in, and sometimes the sounds are still loud. But it for sure helps! Good opportunity to familiarize myself with the Beatles' catalog. 😁

Moongrim- I am very open minded! I will look into your resource, thanks much!
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-31)
If you're open minded enough to try, I recommend some of what my ancestors and contemporaries still do:

Http://factsanddetails.com/china.php?itemid=101&catid=3

Particularly incense.
TwstedWrds (1 stories) (3 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2011-10-31)
If your job allows you could wear some headphones and listen to music, that way it would drown out the voices and footsteps behind you.
smixie (4 stories) (17 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-30)
Wow guys thank you SO much with this advice! I'll definitely be getting some of this stuff and trying it out. I am usually not jumpy or scared so it means a lot to have some ideas because I keep drawing blanks!

Nysa- it very well could be that. I've thought of either the spirits being effected by the day, or possibly they might be different spirits all the time. The building is right on the Mississippi and maybe spirits travel down and stop for a visit in the building with the girl that treats them nicely.

Gelfingfay- I will definitely lay out rules. I've said to stop before and for the most part it has, and the things that don't stop, honestly feels like mischievous children to me, and then after that I tell them if they are wanting to play they have to help me clean first... Then that stops. Heehee!
gelflingfay (1 stories) (52 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-30)
You can also find juniper outside. Juniper bushes are a common landscaping plant. Eye beads are also good. You can find these easily at Hobby Lobby or Michael's. Something else you can use that you don't have to worry about messing the work area up is holy water in a small mister bottle. Also if you need to just state the rules. Say what is cool and what isn't. Don't worry about the peaking one. It is after all just peaking. I have 3 of those in my house.lol. Anyway best of luck!
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2011-10-30)
Since it is such a public place, perhaps "what" is attracted there varies according to the general emotional atmosphere each day? Like if it is a bad day more spirits which are less friendly are attracted? Just a crazy theory there.

As for what you can do, when I was seeing things at night I started meditating to deal with it. I would simply relax in a spot set aside for meditating, just a corner of my bedroom that I made comfy. I repeated a kind of mantra of "I will not see anything that scares me." I had a great deal of success with that.

Since you asked about herbs etc... Wearing rose oil will help keep those around you, living or not, calm. Wearing a piece of jewelry with an eye can keep things at bay. It can be tiger's eye, an eye of Horus, etc. You can even wear a cosmetic mark (just a dot) over your 3rd eye (the middle of your forehead) for protection against anything malevolent. Carrying juniper or larkspur can keep ghosts away from you. If you don't have any sprigs of those plants you can buy the powdered form & sprinkle it in your shoes. Hope that helps.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: