You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Disembodied Voices At Work

Real Ghost Stories

Disembodied Voices At Work

 

FULL DISCLAIMER: While all of the spirit encounters I've had have been almost certainly paranormal and cannot be explained away, this is the only one that MIGHT have been partially created from my imagination--but I don't really believe that's the case, for reasons of which I'm about to explain.

A couple months after I started my last job at a gas station, I was left alone to close up the kitchen. After my manager left and I was about to start washing some dishes, I heard a child--perhaps a little girl?--laughing in the back room (which was right next to the kitchen). The store manager sometimes allowed her granddaughter to come in while she waited for said manager to get off, and I thought that's who it was, but when I went to look there was no one there. I chalked it up to imagination and put it in the back of my mind.

A few weeks later the assistant manager and I were talking and--according to him--there was a time where he and a friend of his were talking at work. He was working the night shift, and the two of them were the only ones in the building. Things had slowed down so they were cracking up. One of them made some joke and once they both stopped laughing they heard another, much deeper chuckle from the back area of the building. Both of them were creeped out and the manager went to investigate to see if anyone was there, checked the security footage, and so on. While he said that the laughter hadn't been picked up by the cameras, both he and his friend heard it clearly (and of course, this is assuming he was being honest).

A few more weeks pass, and my boyfriend had started working at the gas station as well. Without having ever been told about my story or the manager's, he came up to me a few hours before leaving and told me that he had heard a voice of an elderly woman chuckle and say, "Mr. Paul." When he turned around, no one was there. Keep in mind that he heard that crystal clear, EVEN THOUGH at the time one of his ears was blocked, and he was having trouble hearing me if I stood right beside him.

At that point I was really curious about what was going on and decided to bring my pendulum to work. I got there thirty minutes before I was scheduled to clock in and hid where I knew no one was likely to find me. I grounded myself and did the usual things one needs to do when they're using pendulums. If you're not familiar with them, I highly suggest you look into them. They're very interesting, very useful, and I can say I've yet to find that something my pendulum guided me to was wrong. When I asked if there was a spirit that was staying in or around the building, it swung "yes." When I asked if said spirit was the same that I and others had been hearing, it swung for yes again.

The next day or so I heard voices talking in the office (which was above the kitchen), but it struck me as strange because no one was supposed to be up there. When I went to investigate the noise had stopped and, of course, no one was there, but when I got back to the kitchen it sounded like there were people talking in the front counter area. I looked there, but there was only one person working for the front counter, and she said she hadn't had a customer in the past twenty or thirty minutes.

I've since quit the job, but I've been thinking about going back to the area to investigate. If I do, and if anything significant and / or noteworthy happens, I'll be sure to update this.

Other hauntings by DeliverDawn

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Mississippi

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DeliverDawn, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

DeliverDawn (5 stories) (45 posts)
 
5 years ago (2018-10-23)
Haven, I actually came across an old co-worker today--she's working somewhere else now. I didn't think about it when I was talking to her, but if I see her again there I'll ask if she ever heard anything.

I can't confirm this to be true at all, but I have heard before that if a spirit ever impersonates a voice, or if it "tries out" multiple voices, it is a dark force and / or demon. Obviously I'm not sure--have you (or anyone) ever heard of anything along those lines?
Haven (20 stories) (307 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2018-10-23)
Hi DeliverDawn -

The fact that more than one person heard these voices at different times validates that there is something paranormal there. You mention that the pendulum swung to yes when you asked if it was the same spirit others had heard yet you all heard a child, a deep chuckle an elderly woman, and a conversation which I assume was several voices. I wonder if it's the same spirit why it would change its voice.

Too bad your research has not turned up anything. I wonder if the people working there now have had any experiences.

Thanks for sharing.
DeliverDawn (5 stories) (45 posts)
 
5 years ago (2018-10-23)
[at] Smoki, thank you so much! I just know--I mean, how rude can you get? 😆 While I have tried to do research I haven't found much at all. The town the building is in is home to one of the last plantation mansions still standing, and [the town] was a hot spot for Civil War activity. Before that, there were Native tribes that populated the area. But for anything specific, I haven't turned up anything.:/
Smoki_Tabu (2 stories) (13 posts)
+4
5 years ago (2018-10-20)
I've heard very faint disembodied voices before, but I can't imagine how scary it would be to hear a crystal clear voice right next to you. And while you're trying to work, too! Some spirits are so rude 😉 thanks for sharing. I'd love to know if you did any research on the location, and definitely if you decide to go back and investigate. I've never used pendulum during an investigation, but I'd love to try. I want as many tools as possible. Take care, smoki

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: