You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Drive Back From Work

Real Ghost Stories

The Drive Back From Work

 

It's been a while since I last posted on here, 10 years to be precise. Well it has been a relatively supernatural free decade for me with no incidents up until last week. Therefore I had to post on here.

The incident occurred last Friday night (14/12/18), in the northwest of England. I was coming to the end of my shift at work, it was 9:45pm and I called my wife to see if she was still picking me up for 10pm. She had left the house and was enroute. I worked approximately 12 miles out of town and the most straight forward route was a local road. There wasn't much on this road besides a petrol station and an old Elizabethan era hall along the 12 mile stretch.

As planned my wife arrived at 10 sharp, I signed out and sat in the car. My wife was in a jolly mood as she had recently had very good news at work. So all good. The majority of our drive was busy talking about my wife's big promotion at work, I was also busy digging into a sandwich as well, when all of a sudden my wife puts the breaks on and stops the car. I immediately turn to her and enquire why she had stopped, there was nothing in front of us and nothing behind just darkness. My wife had an almost neutral expression on her face and after a few seconds she resumed the drive and said it was nothing.

We got home at around 10:45pm. We sat down and I offered to make us both a drink, at this point my wife looked at me and asked me if I had also seen the woman cross the road! I was speechless, it took me a few seconds to process what she had said. Of course my response to her was an astounding No!. Well it was very quickly established that she had seen a ghost/apparition.

Pondering further on what had happened, I recalled an old legend of the local area from when I was a child. The white lady/hitchhiker ghost story which was associated with the Elizabethan hall situated on this road (Samlesbury Hall - if you are interested in the name). I had always dismissed this, as I was sceptical of the whole legend and put it down to an attempt to promote tourism. A second major point for me was that in the all years I have used this road I had never once encountered anything. So as you can imagine, it would take some convincing. I believe that my wife did see something, I am only disappointed that I didn't! It would be good to hear your thoughts on this incident.

Other hauntings by Quasar

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Quasar, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Cuddlebear (4 stories) (173 posts)
+4
5 years ago (2019-01-07)
Quasar - Greetings!

Stories about ladies in white, especially along a ride hitch hiking, are rife here in the states. I know of at least four such tales, urban legends (call it what you will). In the states the story normally has the young lady fighting off unwanted advances and leaving he confines of the car and, for one reason or another, not making it home. In the two versions I know best she finds a ride to her home on the anniversary of her demise. I mean to pass no judgment concerning the validity of your wife's sighting, or anyone else making such a sighting. I am just remarking on the incident and wondering what generates ghosts...

I don't know what to make of your tale, or your wife's sighting.

I hope you find something, if you do keep us informed.
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-01-06)
Hello Quasar,

In Sydney, Australia, we have a stretch of road called the Wakehurst Parkway, which has inherited tales of ghostly encounters by people driving cars after midnight.

I have driven along this road, both by myself and with Jubeele for over forty years and neither of us have seen or encountered the ghosts of "Kelly" or "The Nun". Having said that, I wouldn't hesitate to follow other peoples' advice, should an encounter take place. I've attached a link to our "White Lady" below but I would suggest disregarding the hype and stick to the facts.

Http://www.unexplainedaustralia.com/21-ghosts-hauntings/66-wakehurst-parkway-ghost-2

I hope next weekend's excursion is successful and I look forward to your update.

Regards
Rex-T
Quasar (4 stories) (13 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-01-06)
Apologies for spelling your name incorrectly on the last post Jubeele.
Quasar (4 stories) (13 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-01-06)
Hi Jubilee,

Thanks for reading my account and providing some more background information on the area. TBH with you I always ignored and dismissed 'The White Lady' story as an urban legend and at most a playground story. But from the research you have provided there is definitely more to this. I am very interested to go and investigate this for myself and return to the scene. Hopefully I will see something. I showed my wife the article and YouTube video that you have shared. She is creeped out by the whole incident but a part of her is relieved to find out that it wasn't her imagination and that others have seen her. She is not happy about me going to investigate though! I am planning to go next weekend, let's see what I find! I will of course post an update on YGS.
Jubeele (26 stories) (886 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-01-05)
Hi Quasar,

I think if your wife only caught a fleeting glimpse and you were otherwise distracted eating a sandwich, that could be why you missed seeing the woman. Or maybe it was only meant to be seen by your wife. It could be a residual sighting, a memory lingering behind in the area that surfaces once in a while. One of my cousins had a similar experience of seeing a woman on the road that no one else in the car could see ("Why Is She Just Standing There?").

I read up on Samlesbury Hall and found mention of a white lady said by some to be Lady Dorothy Southworth (or Dorothea de Hoghton?). Legend has it that her father or brother, objected to her romance with a young man, de Hoghton. It didn't end well for both of them.
Http://inpurespirit.com/939/ghosts-and-murder-at-samlesbury-hall/
Https://ghostlyworld.org/2012/10/09/samlesbury-hall/
Http://www.bbc.co.uk/lancashire/content/articles/2005/10/06/spooky_samlesbury_hall_general_feature.shtml

In 1956, while the road was being widened, skeletal remains were reported to have been found. It was said to be that of young de Hoghton because of the presence of a ring with the engraving: "Dorothea de Hoghton". The story told of how he been murdered while trying to give her an engagement ring. Perhaps that's why Dorothea is sometimes seen crossing the road to the forest where they used to meet.
Https://youtu.be/klMwv4Th3SA (note 4:08 - 5:25)

I enjoyed reading up on the history. Thanks for sharing your account.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: