You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The House In England

Real Ghost Stories

The House In England

 

This happened when I was at the age of 17/18, while I was living in what I believed to have been a haunted house. The house was situated in a quiet area of Preston, Lancashire. The house looked fairly modern on the outside with new windows, doors, sliding doors etc., but on the inside it wasn't quite old, but it's furniture looked like 2nd hand stuff and the carpets were stained. The other memorable thing about the house was the very noisy and creaky stairs leading to the 2nd level where there was 3 bedrooms and one bathroom.

One day after being there for about a month I was alone at home, because I had the flu. Typical the doctor said due to sudden climate change from living in South Africa the one month where it's hot and suddenly in a cold climate in England. I was laying in my bed with the door open (where I had a view of our bedroom door and beyond (the upper landing right next to the stairs). I was fully awake as I just got back in bed after being in the bathroom. First I started hearing really loud thud or bangs against the wall that is shared by the bedroom and the staircase. It was two loud bangs/thuds, but the one started lower down the stairs and the second one was about halfway up by my judgement. The next moment I hear this incredibly fast and very very loud footsteps running up the rest of the stairs to the top landing that was right next to our door.

I was so terrified that someTHING was going to storm into my room or stick it's head around the corner and stare at me, that I hid myself under my duvet. This heavy and abnormally fast "stomping" up the stairs was impossible to be made by a human. NO human can run up the stairs at a speed like that. It reached the top in under a second. All the while being under there I did get the horrible feeling that something was standing in the doorway just looking at me. I was so scared that my heart was beating out of my chest.

Eventually after a few minutes I realized that I had to be strong and face what was there or it would continue trying to frighten me whenever it had the chance. I pulled the covers down in one quick yank and looked directly at the door. Nothing was there of course, but the moment I gained enough courage to face what was there it was like whatever it was left the ether or atmosphere. I even got up and took a walk around the house to double check, but there was nothing and the threatening feeling was gone.

Since that day, every time I was in the downstairs part of the house (and only downstairs), I would instinctively look towards the top landing whenever I passed the stairs. Something just drew my attention there even though I couldn't see anything up there except a window looking over our back yard. It has also happened a few times that I would stop at the bottom of the stairs, when I wanted to walk past it, and would "come to" when a house mate of mine would literally touch me to wake me out of a sort of trance. I would be completely unaware of what happened, almost like I blacked out, until a house mate brought me out of it. I have no recollection of what happened during that time.

In the begining my house mates would laugh and make fun of me for just standing there and staring up the stairs for many minutes, but after a while it started creeping them out. I never told them about my experience with the fast footsteps on the stairs. Now that I think about it, I get a strange feeling that something might have been talking to me in my mind, during that time. What it might have been telling me I will never know.

Other hauntings by Shlain

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Shlain, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-19)
Hi Shlain, did you ever find out what made the thuds on the wall? Or who was responsible for those footsteps? Or, if anything was talking to you? 😕
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-11-03)
Hypnotherapy.

If you truly feel that someone was 'talking' to you, I suggest that you get ahold of a licensed hypnotherapist who can put you into a trance and regress you back to that event.
MuFox (3 stories) (40 posts)
-2
12 years ago (2011-11-03)
you should be strong or you better go back to Africa.
I know it's hard on your part but if ever it disturbs your daily life, I suggest you find someone who can help you deal with that.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: