You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Phantom Music

Real Ghost Stories

Phantom Music

 

I was vacationing at a nature resort in New Hampshire, surrounded by forests and a lake, with my family (including aunts, uncles, and cousins). Our large family basically booked one wing of the 2nd floor. I shared a room with my sister which was at the end of the hallway. We quickly unpacked and then left to do activities and at night, we came back to sleep.

Early morning, I woke up because there was this music coming from above the room. It sounded like Hawaiian music with a female singing from the early to mid-1900s. It wasn't loud enough to hear actual words, but loud enough to wake me up. It was also static sounding cause of crackles as if it was from an old radio or record player. The 2nd floor was the highest, so I assumed there was an attic or something upstairs and a worker was playing the music while working. I put my swim plugs in my ears and went back to sleep.

After breakfast, I asked the receptionist and she told me there was no attic or any space above the room, just a roof. I then assumed it must've been someone outside playing the music and went out to go biking and kayaking.

The next morning, I awoke and heard the music again - the same exact tune and woke my sister up. She heard it too. We left our room and opened an exit door that was between our room and the room across us and we stood at the top of the stairs to the parking lot. We didn't see ANYBODY around. We went back to our room and I asked her if she was as sure as I was that it was coming from above. She was sure.

Since it was above us and loud enough to wake a light sleeper up, the rooms adjacent must've been able to slightly hear it too. We went to our cousin's rooms adjacent and across and there was no music to be heard at all in their rooms. The walls were quite thin; you could hear muffled conversations through the walls, so the ceiling must be thin too. There was no music heard in their rooms. We then all went into our room and heard the music!

There is no explanation why old-fashioned music could be only heard in our room and why it starts early morning and disappears before we wake up. I am convinced it was paranormal. Freaked out, my sister and I packed up and slept in our cousin's room next to us the rest of the vacation where there was no creepy music!

Other hauntings by musicinthewind

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, musicinthewind, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

meow3 (23 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-18)
There's just something so eerie about mysterious music from no known source! I love stories like this. I tend to agree with the residual haunting theory. Too bad you don't remember the name of the resort.
BlanknameSpace (1 stories) (24 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-14)
Actually as a matter of fact, I have had something like this happen to me, I was camping out near a town in B.C Canada called sayward where the area is HEAVILY forested. I could hear loud music coming from across the small deserted seldom used highway that was a little ways away from the camp. Me, my friend and my friend's little brother could all hear it and we thought it might be a party because across the highway is a sand pit for dirtbiking and that's where the sound appeared to be coming from, so we headed over in that direction cross the highway and as we finally make it over the hill into the sand pit the music STOPS it just stopped, so we back up over the hill again and we can hear it. By this time we were confused and scared so we basically ran back to the camp and didn't think much of it.
musicinthewind (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-13)
[at] Rook: Thanks for the explanation on loops.

I've tried looking up the resort, but I didn't know there were so many in NH. It's so hard to pinpoint. No one in my family can really remember since we went to many of these nature resorts during the summers from child to teen.

Thanks everyone for all your input!
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-13)
interesting post thanks for adding 😊
Have to agree with rook does sound like a "loop"
Shame you can't recall the name of the place you stayed at would be interesting to look it up, oh well!
Thanks again
Carl
Mountaineer (4 stories) (176 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-12)
If the music could only be heard in your room, I'm thinking that it is tied to that room, not a non or once-existent above floor. I think you were experiencing a residual event with the radio sound. A place in which strong emotions were expressed once, or a place in which a daily ritual was carried out many times, has the best chance of creating an energy residue, at least in my opinion. Imagine it, a couple of newlyweds honeymooning in that resort, husband turns on the radio, they dance, and of course other honeymoon things happen. The strong feelings they had for each other could have forever bound the sound of the radio to the room. Great account, thanks for posting it.

--Mountaineer
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-12)
musicinthewind,

A residual haunting isn't a spirit caught in a loop repeating the same actions over and over. It is simply a recording of a moment in time that under the right conditions 'replays'.

Thank you for the added information and for sharing this experience with us.

Respectfully,

Rook
MuFox (3 stories) (40 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-11)
I'll be supporting in this one.:)
There was also a time when something woke me up, late at night, someone was like ironing clothes. I could hear the iron taken out to be used then placed back and the clothes being moved from a place to another, like that.
Then when I got up, it stopped.:-?
musicinthewind (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-11)
[at] rookdygin: I'm not sure how old the resort is. It definitely wasn't new though. Even though it was called a "resort" the hotel part was really more like a motel attached to beautiful surroundings. The building seemed old, but the interior remodeled probably in the 70s from the funky colors/decorations. I'm not sure about events they've hosted in the past, I just know I went there for a family vacation during the summer and there were lots nature activities. This was nearly 10 years ago, so I don't remember the small details like the name and neither do my parents and sister, but I just remember the interior of the resort and the outside and the activities we did.

Interesting point about being a time loop. It'd be so sad if there was a ghost of some sort stuck in that loop repeating the same thing everyday!
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-11)
My first question would be this...

How old is/are the building (s) at this resort?

Next question would be... If it's been there many years what type of events have they hosted in the past?

If you are able perhaps some research into the history of the property may lead to clues into just what you were hearing. It sounds residual in nature... A moment in time captured and being repeated over and over again.

Respectfully,

Rook
musicinthewind (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-11)
[at] Argette: I don't think it was a cell phone... The music went on and on like it was on loop...ringtone's are usually ~30sec. It couldn't be an mp3 player or something similar either because everyone around me was a relative and the no one listened to that type of music. Plus it could only be heard from that room.

Maybe you're experiencing the same thing I did at the resort. At least nothing bad happened, just annoying music, so I guess if it was a ghost mine and yours (if you think yours is a ghost) might be friendly or at least ones that are apathetic to people.
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-10)
Curious. Are you sure it was not coming from someone's cell phone?

About two years ago I started to hear a two note digital-type sound in our bedroom and in the family room. We have never discovered the source of it.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: