You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Phantom Bat

Real Ghost Stories

Phantom Bat

 

This event happened in one of my childhood homes in the town of Newburgh, NY. I was about 10-12 years old so it was the early 2000's.

One night I was having trouble sleeping, as I often did. My twin sized bed was up against the wall and I had a wooden dresser next to the bed, at the foot of it. I was trying hard to fall asleep, alternating between closing and opening my eyes. My eyes scanned the room and rested on a dark corner behind the dresser. As my vision adjusted and settled I noticed a black spot on the dresser. I was hoping it was just my vision playing tricks on me but after staring at it for a minute it seemed to move. My adrenaline started waking me up more as I observed it to be in the shape of a large moth. As I realized all of this, it flew at me! It looked like a bat. I don't recall it making any noise. No flapping of wings, it didn't scratch my dresser as it moved and made no noise as it soared towards me.

I ran out of my bedroom and into the living room that was right next to it, closing the door behind me. I barely slept all night. I can't remember if I had woken my mom to search the room but nothing was found. The next day I slowly searched my room, hoping it was just a bird that mysteriously got in there. I didn't find any evidence that there was something in my room that night. The window wasn't open and there were no other ways to get in there other than the bedroom door connected to the living room. All week I was nervous about finding a dead bat somewhere in my room and luckily I never did. I hadn't had any experiences like that since.

Other hauntings by SilenceRecited

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SilenceRecited, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
+6
5 years ago (2019-08-13)
Hello Silence,

After my Dad died, my Son was helping me clean out the home, for selling.

My Son was twenty and six feet plus. Working out in the gym with his friends had made him pretty nice to look at. He also looked much like my Dad was, when young.

He (Son) was in an enclosed area of the cellar, called the cold cellar, where my Dad had stored vegetables and such. It had one small dirty window.

Suddenly he burst out of the room, and with his hands to his sides, shaking in a panic, repeatedly saying " animal, animal". Curiously I asked to see, he said over here, and again ran out.

Where he pointed was a topless, cigar box, on a shelf. A tiny bat lay there with the biggest eyes! How could this cute little critter, frighten an adult 200 pound man? I lifted the box carefully, finding under, over $200 dollars.

During those times, I often thought of my Dad, standing beside me laughing.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-08-13)
Silence

I understand that it must have been a shock for you especially at a young age when the imagination tends to run riot!

Believe me, you get some really huge moths and I've often wondered what kind of bugs they eventually become.

I think it was a moth - no guarantees, just my opinion.

Regards, Melda
lady-glow (16 stories) (3147 posts)
+4
5 years ago (2019-08-12)
Dracula or Batman?🤔

SilenceRecited.
Welcome to YGS.

Although I believe that animals have souls and based upon the many stories in this site about depared pets visiting their human family, I'm not sure if what you saw that night was a ghost bat or if it was a living one very good at hiding and sneaking out without being noticed.
I'm inclined to think the latter.

Good to know you haven't seen it again.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: