You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Phantom Sedan

Real Ghost Stories

Phantom Sedan

 

Had an experience I figured was worth sharing as it left me a little spooked and perplexed!

I was recently out in Tuscon for a music festival with my close friend. We drove out from Colorado and unfortunately did so at night both ways and didn't get to enjoy the beautiful scenery along the way, but it made for easy driving. After the festival was over, we drove out to Mesa to see our friend from highschool and said our goodbyes as we prepared for the 12 hour drive home.

We left just after sunset and about 3 hours into the drive on a mountain pass (give or take around midnight) we were singing along to old 90's and early 2000's pop hits and cracking jokes and laughing so hard we had tears streaming down our faces. The moon wasn't full and we were surrounded by trees so it was really dark. As we hit a straight stretch of road on the pass, I could only see in front of the car as far as the headlights allowed and nothing behind us. There was nobody else on this road for miles but us, and I was suddenly hit with a weird feeling of uneasiness.

I had been checking my rearview mirror pretty often, as we were loaded down with camping gear and I wanted to allow faster cars to pass us, but at this point we hadn't seen anyone for nearly 30 minutes. I glanced in the mirror to the black void behind us and back ahead, and after a few seconds saw a light out of my peripheral vision and I looked up again. There was a small, dark sedan tailgating us, and really riding us close. Their driver side headlight was out and the other one was really yellowed and dim. I watched as they sped up and got right on my bumper, and I mean like less than 10 feet where it was uncomfortably close. I looked at my friend and laughed and pointed back with my thumb and said "check out this ***hole, there's plenty of room to pass us!" and when we both looked, the car was gone. Just the same darkness that had been there before and blur of tree silhouettes.

I told him what I had seen and described the car. He got goosebumps and said he had been feeling uneasy on that stretch of the pass too. Nothing else notable happened the rest of the drive, but it left a weird feeling in my gut until we made it into the next town. I have heard similar stories of ghost cars over the years but never seen it for myself until then.

I wouldn't consider it to have been necessarily scary, but it definitely left me perplexed as I have no explanation for what happened and am curious as to the history of that stretch of road (if there were any fatal accidents, etc.) Can't remember exactly the name of the pass nor the road we were on but at some point I'd like to look it up and see if there's any articles about that pass.

Other hauntings by FC_DUB

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arizona

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, FC_DUB, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-04-27)
Hello FC_DUB

My son and I saw a car with two people in it disappear during daytime some years ago basically right in fron't of our eyes. These accounts still fascinate me for the simple fact they do interact in precise solidity on the macroscopic level. One of the most famous accounts was told by Telly Savalas... If you or any one else is interested in watching Telly tell his story, I'll paste it below if that's ok with the mods, as it is a mind blowing account.

Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axdkv0_kJZQ&ab_channel=SherlockG.

Thank you for sharing it.

Daz
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
+1
2 years ago (2022-04-10)
FC_DUB, your story scared me. I want to believe it was just a phantom car, because the alternative is terrifying to me. There's a story on the tv show 'l survived...' about a woman driving at night on a highway through Idaho. She had a car come up behind her similarly to what you described. The car had three people in it and they ran her off the road. Bad things happened. She survived, but the story stays with me.
DreamBird (7 stories) (25 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-03-09)
I'm familiar with that area and have done a few motorcycle rides there. Haven't heard of this phantom car but will check with some friends of mine that belong to some paranormal groups to see if they have. I will post if I hear anything interesting.

-DB
FC_DUB (3 stories) (10 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-03-09)
Thanks for the replies and interest!

I looked it up and it was off 288 (Globe Young HWY) and happened before we passed through the community of Young, AZ. Can't remember the name of the campgrounds and side roads that were off that stretch of road, but looking at a map my best guess would be on the straight bit before Turkey Spring because it was pretty close to where things opened up again and went back to mainly desert.
DreamBird (7 stories) (25 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-03-03)
Hi!
I live in Arizona. I'd be curious to know where you were when this happened. Thanks for sharing your story.

-DB
Rajine (14 stories) (769 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-03-03)
Hi FC_DUB

This is a interesting incident that you experienced and it would be great if any of the commentors could shed some light on this particular part of highway, I'm hoping that someone knows the place you talking about, it just has me asking more questions.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: