You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Laugh that is not Mine

Real Ghost Stories

A Laugh that is not Mine

 

My name is Amanda, and I'm 14. I've never considered myself a particularly extraordinary person, but I seem to be living in an extraordinary house. I've been living in the same place in Richmond for as long as I can remember, and things have been happening for as long as I can remember. On one occasion, the blinds in my bedroom window were a little out of position, as though someone had messed with them. It's very rare for me to even go near that window, and I never adjust the blinds. I'm simply not in my bedroom enough. I set them the right way and went to bed. The next morning, they were messed with again.

There are creaking noises in the middle of the night when everyone else is asleep and occasionally doors will open (just a little, not a whole lot) when there's nobody there. My mom has had stranger experiences than I have. She's heard whispers trying to get here attention, using her name, has been tapped on the shoulder, and has even seen a figure of some sort in the hallway. My cat was a witness, although I saw nothing.

These odd happenings are probably nothing you haven't heard before. However, there is one instance that sticks out in my mind.

I was 12 years old when it happened. It had been a perfectly ordinary day at school and nothing strange had happened. Then, after a normal evening, I started up the stairwell to get to my bedroom. When I got about halfway there, I found myself starting to laugh. There was nothing funny. No one had told a joke. I was just laughing for no apparent reason.

I happened to glance aside at my mother in her room across the hall (the same upstairs hallway where she saw a figure), standing next to her bed and staring at me like I had gone insane. I remember her asking me, "Are you all right?" I couldn't answer, though, because I was still laughing. Also, my cat Poki was staring at me as though he had seen a ghost, if you will pardon the pun.

I got the distinct sense that it was not me that was laughing. I was trying so hard to stop, but nothing seemed to work. Finally, I ambled across to the bathroom, still giggling, and started to brush my teeth. I said something to the effect of, "Why am I still laughing? Brushing your teeth isn't funny..." Just then, it stopped. I felt basically like a regular, somewhat-unnerved 12-year-old girl after that.

My mom told me that she felt someone sit down on the bed a few seconds later, but that she hadn't seen anything. Since we were both completely freaked out, we had to talk about it for a minute to get it out of our systems. She told me that the laugh had sounded strange, that it didn't sound like my laugh. She had also noticed Poki's reaction to the whole scenario. We both know that cats have better eyesight than humans. Although neither of us saw anything, it's possible that he might have.

You don't have to believe in my stories or believe in ghosts just because I've had a weird experience. I just want to say that I don't mind if there's a ghost or spirit of some sort in the house because I have never once felt threatened. I just figured that I should share my little place in the history of hauntings.

Other hauntings by windsong

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, windsong, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MattM (20 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-03-01)
Wow, what a cool story. I have a dog who used to act strange. He would just stare into the dark laundry room for hours as if he was looking at someone or something and there are times where he will run out of a room, stop, and turn around to look back in the direction he just came from. I believe there is a ghost in my house, but it is pretty lazy, like me and my brother. It makes it's presence known every few years. It's actually cool to have because it seems to be lazy like us!
DollyDagger (4 stories) (31 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
Great story. I used to have a cat, Minka, and she would do weird things too. Mostly when I felt things around me, she'd just stare in random places in my room.

Oh, by the way, my name's Amanda too!
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-08)
I have heard of strange happenings and the effect spirits/entitys will have on individuals. At 12 years of age, you were very suceptable to paranormal activity.

Has anything happened recently?

I should see no reason why people would not believe you. This is a site where we can place our stories and happenings to share with others who have had like or similar expericnces, those who can relate.

God Bless !
PrincessKatie (7 stories) (420 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-09-29)
wow that sounds so freaky. I would of screamed. Aww but it laughed was it a nice or horrible laugh if I heard a nice and cute on I would of thought it was dead cute. 😊 I enjoyed reading your story thanks for sharing it with us. 😊
ciaravzqz22 (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-08)
Oh my god wow! That is freaky! And I'm sorry! But I do believe in things like that but at least your not threatened or scared of it I would be! From the day my experience happened I always felt scared of paranormal experiences though I have grown to be more accepting of them, I'm still teriffied for the reason you don't know what they want to tell you or even do! But wow great story! 😊
chocolate101 (guest)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-06)
😊 your a great writer. 😕 I wonder- that is a very odd expieierience. I strongly believe in this kindof stuff- so don't worry, hun, I believe you. Go to my profile and read my story "chocolate". Some peple say it, in a way, helped them with any problems theyve had.

ive had doors open slightly on me too. There was no wind around either.

you are an extrordinary person. Only special people (there are a good amount extrordinary people, but not many since witch trials) who believe in ghosts can expierience paranormal things. I am one, and I travel a lot and I have only been to two places out of 31 that werent haunted.

remember this- no entity can really hurt you phically. (notice I said phically). But heaven and hell are another dimension that is around us, that's why we see ghosts. 😉
Lexiluca (8 stories) (78 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-04)
I can't say I've ever actually caught a glimpse of my old dog after he was put down, but I definitely dream of him in really strange ways - and it always happens the same - Nicholaus will come trotting up to me all dopey and funny like he always did - and moments later my mother will come up to me behind him and have a serious conversation with me about certain things that are currently going on in my life. It's weird, it's like she's actually there. I've always wondered if it's possible for a spirit to speak with you via dreams. Never quite believed in it, but I figure it could be possible. And it's so rare, it's not often. It's only when something's going severely wrong and I don't know what else to do anymore to rectify it. And then she's there, giving me sh$% and telling me how to handle it. It's cool, but it's creepy.
ducky493 (11 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-04)
windsong I know what you mean I take ghost or sprits serioly but each a ghost comes something saves me its odd it like a nosie from my ears but I dontmean to hurt the ghost or sprit. 😭 😨 😕
windsong (3 stories) (10 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-03)
That's who I am: a serious persion.😐
I mentioned in the story that I have a cat (two cats, actually). A cat that I've had in the past, Shuby, had to be euthanized in 2003 because she couldn't function after getting arthritis in her legs.
I've caught glimpses of her on occasion out the corner of my eye, and so has my mom.
Other than that, not a lot has happened to me. My mom has had way more experiences. Than me.
fizzylizzie (2 stories) (67 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-03)
wow you sound quite serious
have you ever had any other supernatural experiences?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: