You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Shadow Person, Duppy In Kingston, Jamaica

Real Ghost Stories

Shadow Person, Duppy In Kingston, Jamaica

 

Goodnight everyone! First of all, I have been a TOTAL fan of this site for years - and I mean YEARS! I have always been interested in ghosts and the paranormal, and I kind of stumbled upon this site a few years back and I have regularly been visiting on an almost daily basis. Anyways, I wasn't sure if I would ever have a story of my own to post, but here I am with a user name and my first ghost experience of my short life!:)

Now, there is nothing really remarkable about this story. I hope the way I tell it, the story makes sense. Ok, here we go!

I went to Jamaica for over a week and was staying with my friend Steph, who is a producer, at his other friend's home which is in a gated community in Manor Park. (I just got back 24 hours ago) Now, I mention Steph is a producer because he was out most nights with his artists in the studio and I usually went out with my friends. When I did go I would not come home until 4 or 5 in the morning and let myself in the house and feel absolutely not strange or weird at all.

The sleeping arrangement was that I was taking a couch in the living room facing the front door, and one of the artists, Skar, would take a couch on the other side of me, facing the wall. So there I was in Kingston, going out with my friends, meeting cute boys (yay!) and generally having a good time and all of a sudden, it's the last night of my stay. I got home around 11 or so after grabbing some dinner with the studio guys, and had just finished showering and packing the last bits of my luggage.

Now, Skar had a bit of a crush on me so as I am settling down to go to sleep, he comes over to my couch and starts poking me and saying "I am going to miss you" etc. *rolls eyes* So I tell him to go to sleep because we have an early morning (my flight left at 7am and I had a 6 hour layover in Miami). He unhappily went to his couch and we try to get some shut eye. Literally 2 minutes pass and all of a sudden, my luggage, which was sitting upright with a Vuitton duffel on top of it, falls over - at the same time the fan on the opposite couch falls over as well.

Me and Skar instantly wake because of the noise and are pretty spooked, but this can be explained. My bags were heavy and could totally fall by themselves. And the fan was on a chair... And anyways, I could see it falling over by itself. So, even though it was a bit spooky, we let it slide. I get up and pick up my luggage and Skar fixes the fan, we turn off the light and try to sleep again. I shut my eyes for a few minutes and suddenly hear whispering, like there were people maybe above me or next to me having a conversation in whispers.

So I'm lying there getting TOTALLY freaked out and I say "Skar, do you hear that?" And he says he doesn't. So I tell him I hear the whispering and ask him to please turn on the kitchen light because I was scared. He starts to get freaked out and gets up to turn on the kitchen light, so he is standing in front of me, asking if I am ok before he goes to the kitchen. The front door is behind him, and as he is looking at me, I am looking at the front door. As I look there, I see a shadow figure seemingly looking at us from the entrance to where they have a washing machine room on the right side of the house. As SOON as I saw it, (or it figured I saw it) it darted back into the washing machine room. I could make out a head, a torso and a leg. I was SO terrified and keep in mind, Skar is still standing in front of me asking if I am ok. He saw me looking at the front door area and turns to look as well, but at this time, the whole visual experience is all over.

After that, I told Skar and was basically in tears and he was absolutely scared, so he calls Steph, our other friend, downstairs and tells him what was going on. Steph basically didn't believe us (or precisely me) and went back to bed. I begged Skar to leave on the kitchen light because I could not even look in the direction of the front door without feeling creeped out. He did and we TRY to go back to sleep. Then, the noises in the kitchen start. It sounded like things were falling over, even though nothing was. I totally bolted from my couch to Skar's couch and lie there with him (to his delight I am sure) until it was time to go to the airport.

Now here are some facts about the house and the area: The house was dark except for the outside light coming in from a window at the top of the door. There are no windows on the sides of the house. There is a washing machine room on the right of the house then a long corridor to the kitchen on the left and living/dining room. The shadow person I saw (in Jamaica they call shadow people and ghosts "duppy") was definitely darker than the house. I actually thought it was a real person playing a trick on us or that someone had broken into the house. There was no one outside that could cast a shadow as they walked by. I mentioned that this was in a gated community, there were no windows at the front of the house, and no one could be granted access to get that close to the house anyways. I even saw a full body (or half a full body) shadow person NOT a shadow walking by. (As a sidenote, it totally baffles me how people don't seem to understand that I know the difference between seeing a shadow and seeing a shadow person).

Anyways, like I stated earlier, I never got a weird vibe from the house when I was rolling in at 5am after being out all night with my friends, or even when I was alone getting ready to go out at 11/12 at night. Some people said the "duppy" just wanted to say bye or make his or her presence known because it didn't want me to leave. I'd like to think this was the case. Even though it was a very unremarkable event, it left an extraordinary impression on me.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read - I will definitely respond to any comments. And I am SO happy to be a part of this community!

Other hauntings by MsRevz80

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MsRevz80, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-05)
Rev,

You're probably right about it being there for a long, long time. I too am fascinated by these dark entities. Not so much that I would like one to move in or anything, but it makes you wonder what they are up to. Are they spirits that just cannot find what it takes to manifest fully? Or are they something else? There is just so much to wonder about with them. I know that there are the ones that we used to hear about most often, that we rarely hear about now. Those are what I call the 'Original' shadow people. Those are the guys that were tall, thin, wore a wide brimmed hat low on their face, and also wore a long coat. They also gave off a feeling that they were superior, and were merely observing our culture or something. Some witnesses reported that they felt like a lab rat under their gaze. Very eerie. We don't hear much about those guys any more and it makes me wonder why that is. But they weren't the type to dash out of view either. They knew you could see them and it seemed like they didn't care. Almost as if they were making a point of letting you know there was nothing you could do about it. Scary stuff.
These others, like the one you saw, don't have those traits.
I better stop, I'm starting to scare myself now! 😲
I have never been to Jamaica. All I know about it is what I've read or seen on TV. But I do know that it is a very mysterious place, with a long history of unexplainable events. I would love to hear what happens on your next trip. Island nations seem to have a concentrated amount of activity. It makes for wonderful reading.

Jav ❤
MsRevz80 (4 stories) (13 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-05)
Hello again, everyone!
[at] DannyBaby - Yes I am following you 100%. I know what you mean.

[at] marko99 - I am not sure what exactly you are saying when you say "Manifestation of Skar's"...? Can you please clarify for me?:)

[at] Javelina - Thank you for the welcome! I never know what to make of Shadow People until I actually saw this one. I am not sure if it would have followed me home from anywhere, but it is curious how it made itself known only that one time. I am not sure if the being was attracted to myself or Skar, and why I was the only one to have witnessed it absolutely baffles me. I'm planning to head back down to Jamaica in August, and I am pretty sure I'll be staying at the same place... A thought that both intrigues and terrifies me at the same time. LOL! I will have to ask the guy how long the community has been around for, but the history of Kingston and Jamaica itself, is very turbulent and troubled. I wouldn't be too surprised if this being was attached to something long before our time, with that being said! Out of curiosity, are you from Jamaica or it it one of those places that hold a lot of interest for you?

Rev!:)
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-04)
Rev,
Welcome! Happy to know you finally became a member. I enjoyed reading your account. Shadow people just fascinate me. I am beginning to think there may be different kinds of shadow entities. The one you witnessed seemed to have been able to keep it's presence from being detected by others in the home. So, I wonder if perhaps it followed you home from wherever it was you had been earlier? It seems to have been attracted to the home. But, the question is, by whom? When you saw it your other friend was standing in front of you. So, was it there for you or him? Or someone else?
It would be interesting to know if, now that it has been seen once, will it show itself again? Do you plan on visiting your producer friend again any time soon? Do you have any idea how long this gated community has existed? Being Jamaica, makes this even more intriguing to me.
Thank you for sharing. I am glad you finally made yourself known, as so many of us started off the same way.

Jav
marko99 (1 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-04)
Everything that happened was the manifestation of Skar's will to have you close during the last night you were there.
DannyBaby (3 stories) (44 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-03-02)
No they cannot... If a person has never seen spirit and all of a sudden sees one... They would think it would be a actual person... But with people like me and other people who actually can tell the difference... If I showed you pictures of shadows of real people and shadows of spirits and you would be able to tell the difference... But at first you won't be able to... But you get what I mean right.?
MsRevz80 (4 stories) (13 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-02)
Hi everyone!
[at] DannyBaby - thanks for the welcome! Yes the difference between a "regular" shadow and a shadow person is so obvious now that I have actually seen one. If someone hasn't, they can't really compare, can they?

[at] crecentblue03 - thanks for the compliment! I bet seeing more than one would DEFINITELY scare me more than just seeing one!: (

[at] marybelle - you are able to get a "feeling" as to the shadow people you see? I wasn't able to get anything at all.
marybelle (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-02)
i see shadow beings all the time in where I live, its very scary and they have a negative air to them...
crecentblue03 (151 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-02)
The shadow beings can be very scary a friend and I saw some once when we were preteens while looking into a graveyard at sun set they were moving in and out between the grave stones. I linked your story very interesting and creepy!
DannyBaby (3 stories) (44 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-02)
Well first off welcome to this community we call normal. It maybe possible that this "duppy" didn't want you to leave... But you never know... And I understand about the shadow thing... I can also tell the difference between a spirit and real persons shadow...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: