You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Airbnb Scare

Real Ghost Stories

Airbnb Scare

 

These events transpired within the last 48 hours - writing this story down so quickly is my way of preserving the accuracy of what happened.

To give you all some context, my cousin from Jersey City came up to Toronto to with his girlfriend, his mom and our aunt. (So for me, two aunts, my cousin and his girl). My cousin and the girlfriend stayed in an Airbnb for their trip which was three nights and 4 days. (My aunts stayed elsewhere). The house was 3 minutes away from my place and was in a quiet neighborhood just off of a very busy street near to Scarborough Town Centre in Toronto. Anyone who knows this area would be familiar with the pre war and some post war one level plus a basement homes that surround the area. Little stone bungalows amid large sprawling parks and greenery.

The first night, they invited myself, my boyfriend, my brother and another cousin over for drinks, games and to catch up. While they were out grabbing some supplies for the evening, myself and my cousin's girlfriend as well as my brother were in the kitchen talking. As I'm standing in the kitchen, out of the corner of my eye I see a leg of a person, kind of suspended in midair as if mid step. My heart started racing as I knew us three were the only ones in the house at the time. Just as I was about to say "did you guys see that?" the overhead light started flickering on and off. My brother and I just looked at each other and started laughing nervously. I don't recall if I said anything about the leg at that time as I didn't want to scare this girl that had to stay there overnight. It's worth noting that my brother seems to be sensitive to energies, I think unbeknownst to him. The night passes without further event and we all depart early in the morning, except for my brother who left a bit earlier for home.

The next morning I bring them coffee and breakfast and hang out with them for a couple hours. Despite it being a hot, bright sunny day, the house feels cold and dark. It is so oppressing that I can't stand to be in it. I suggest going to sit on the porch but my cousin and his girlfriend don't want to do this. My eyes keep darting to the hallway between the kitchen and bedrooms where I saw the apparition of the leg the night before. Nothing happens, per se, but it was just a general feeling of unease and darkness. There were parts of the house that I didn't like but again, I didn't want to scare them.

On the following day and their final day visiting, they planned to visit their other side of the family and then come and hang out with me and my boyfriend at our condo in the evening.

When they come over they seem sullen and withdrawn. It was a change from our usual bubbly, light hearted chatter and laughter. I asked them if they were okay and they said they were, that they were just tired. I tried hanging out with them but they were so quiet and not responding to my extremely funny jokes. I finally said, if maybe they were exhausted from all the family time we all had and the thought of driving back to Jersey in the morning had them more tired, that we can just not hang out tonight and I would see them off tomorrow. That's when my cousin asked me if I noticed anything wrong with the house.

I immediately knew what he meant but I asked him what was going on. He said that they didn't like the vibe of the home when they drove up. His girlfriend noted the neighborhood was very quiet with not a lot of people walking around. She specifically noted overgrown lawns creeped her out - this house didn't have it but other homes in the neighborhood did.

They also said the house was very dark and seemed 'angry'. They told me they never fought in their relationship but every night they were bickering and fighting leaving them more and more tired when they came to visit family. The girl said she was having a hard time sleeping the previous night and found herself walking around the house in the dark for no reason. They were extremely nervous to spend their final night in the home. My boyfriend and I told them they were more than welcome to spend the night with us and to leave from here to Jersey. They gratefully accepted and at around 2:30am I decide to go and help them pack and my boyfriend stayed back to pull out the sofa bed and prepare for their stay.

We get to the house and everything felt so still - both outside and inside. While they were packing their personal items I stayed in the kitchen clearing out the fridge. I didn't feel scared or on edge, just ready to help them get away from whatever was causing them so much distress in this house. The girl comes into the kitchen to get some items and right then I hear a faint scream. I immediately turn to her and ask if she heard that. She said no, but in my right ear it sounded exactly like a Demogorgon scream from stranger things. Demon like. I am one hundred percent sure of this - I know what I heard and even though it was faint, I was surprised no one else heard it. To further explain, it was like a scream from another dimension piercing into ours. Kind of like when you wake up from a dream but are still hearing things from the dream, if that makes sense.

We get everything together and lock up the house for the final time, as we are exiting I am telling whatever is in there to not follow us and they are not welcome where we are going.

On the way back home, we see a strange animal prancing across the street. It looked to be a shaved deer or something, but at 3 am at that time, it was pretty scary to see. My cousin felt like that was a sign that whatever was bothering them before was leaving them alone. I don't know what to think about that but the imagery was unsettling.

We stay up until 4am that morning going through what we all experienced - the guys come to the conclusion that whatever was there didn't like women as it was myself and the girlfriend that had the most experiences. She mentioned that their first day at the Airbnb she tried to put in the code to the home so many times. The door never opened for her - so she gave the code to my brother who put it in and the door immediately opened. This further solidified our theory that women were a target to this energy.

They left yesterday and I am so exhausted from everything we did this past weekend but especially the home. I tried to research the house and the street with no info coming up. At this point I don't think I would ever know the history of the house but I am sure something happened there. It could be anything from a murder or death on the property to simply the house absorbing angry energy from its occupants.

I also feel compelled to say that I believe the fear my cousin and his girlfriend experienced was real. He works for law enforcement and she works in the medical field - two occupations that entail high stress and life or death situations daily at times. To have them tell me that they did not want to spend another night there made me feel the situation was pretty extreme.

I spoke to my brother yesterday who told me that he felt that something was lurking in the home and watching them from the walls. He said the reason he kept leaving early was because he felt something didn't want him there. It was a very intense experience and if I ever find out more about the home I will update the story accordingly.

Many Blessings

MsRevz

Other hauntings by MsRevz80

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MsRevz80, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MsRevz80 (4 stories) (13 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2022-09-07)
[at] The_Lost_Voyage_11
Thanks for your read and your insights! I did read the story you mentioned in your comment and there were some similarities, for sure! I don't know if me and my brother are particularly skilled at picking up energies, but the neighborhood did feel "off" for lack of a better description. That Saturday was hot, humid and sunny with not a cloud in the sky - there was a park down the street that was full of people enjoying the day, but it was silent. As if no one was there. Or maybe it was muted. There weren't too many people out and about on the sidewalks, but I always find that the case in these older neighborhoods.
You mention researching the area - what I will say is that these lands were taken from different tribes of the First Nations people, there is a known burial ground a few blocks south of the general location. I wouldn't be surprised if this has some affect on the land that these homes were built on.
The_Lost_Voyage_11 (7 stories) (238 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2022-09-03)
Hello MsRevz80, great story, it does leave me with a curiosity for sure about the place.

More importantly, like others have noted, it's the general neighborhood, the unusual quiet, the unkept lawns, there's an energy about the area itself.

Your cousins girlfriend noted the surrounding homes, did you or your brother pick up on anything at all in the area besides what you experienced in the home itself?

Someone had just posted another story on here about her stay in her fiance's home, a very negatively charged place that also had an overgrown lawn, it seems to go with the territory with haunted homes. Animals typically avoid just highly charged atmosphere's, and plants seem to react in a strange fashion as well.

By all means research the house, but the answers may lie more in the general area itself which seems to be affecting several homes from the sounds of it, that's my feeling on it. Whatever energies are abound in that area, may have also influenced events in those homes, murders, etc, just as it caused your cousin and his girlfriend to fight. Such energy seems to feed off those kinds of negativity and from reading many other stories can actually change a persons personality over time and not for the good.

It may be worth a look, if you're up for it, to drive through the area and see what you pick up on energy wise, just be sure to take precautions and for sure update us on what you find, as it is a compelling mystery! Good Luck!
MsRevz80 (4 stories) (13 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2022-08-30)
[at] Rajine - there were other people around although the area seemed a bit muted, for lack of a better word. It was soooo quiet even though there was a pretty active park down the street. I saw an old man on more than one occasion walking by and looking curiously into the home. I chalk it up to neighbors looking at the "new people" in their area. I never really thought about overgrown lawns as creepy until my cousins girlfriend mentioned it. For the past week though, whenever I come across such a yard it does make the home and its occupants seem a little foreboding. It could also be that these homes have more or less been occupied by the same owners for 60-100 years. Maybe they got old and can't mow the lawn, maybe they put it up for sale and moved away and can not maintain it. There are many stories locked up in these homes and neighborhoods that I'm sure we will never know.
Rajine (14 stories) (776 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2022-08-29)
Hi MsRevz80

This incident kept me glued to my cell phone screen, you mentioned that area your family had stayed seemed very quiet, did they or you not see any other residents about whilst you'll were there? They could have shed some light on what or why that house has a creepy vibe.

What I find absolutely creepy is that your cousins girlfriend mentioned that the other houses around there have unkempt lawns and overgrown grass, sort of like it's a ghost village and that they could have possibly been the only ones there.
MsRevz80 (4 stories) (13 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2022-08-29)
[at] Linjahaha - researching the address and more broadly the general area, is something I'm planning to get to in the next few weeks. Hoping to find something specific to the home so fingers crossed! I appreciate you stating that we may all me sensitive to these things in our own ways - I certainly felt like we were independently confirming that the house was strange, for a lack of a better word.

[at] Limey - Thanks for appreciating the story! I know it's not the most eventful as some but our experiences were truly unsettling. I will be doing a deep dive into the history of the home and the general area in the next few weeks. I don't want to disclose the street name as airbnbs in this area are so hard to find and this was one of probably two homes that were available. Also as I didn't rent it out, I wouldn't feel right putting it out into a public space as much as I believe it would help. Good call on asking neighbours - they are mostly older people in the neighborhood and have likely being living there for their entire lives. Someone should know something. My cousin is planning to talk to the Airbnb owner before posting a review to see if he can get any more info. I'm hopeful that we will be able to find out generally what the deal is / was with that particular home.
Limey (3 stories) (33 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2022-08-29)
Hi MsRevz; a very interesting story, and a refreshing change from so many posts that I see on this site. If I were in your position, the only thing I would want to know is what happened in that house. If you have the time and energy, I think it would be worth the effort to find out. The neighbours for one thing, but a more fruitful pursuit might be newspaper archives.
I have lived in Toronto for a number of years in the past, but not in the Scarborough area. I think it would be useful for readers to know the name of the street and which side of the street the house is on. No privacy would be compromised by sharing this information. Also the Airbnb owners may be ok with sharing any background info that they may have about the house. They could possibly have owned it for most of its life. Worth asking. After all, the house can't be much more than 75 years old. There may even be somebody on the street that knows all about it. I just hate loose ends.
Linjahaha (24 stories) (129 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2022-08-28)
I, personally, do believe that what you, & the others felt was genuine. You 'may' all be sensitive to one degree, or another.
I give you credit for trying to research the house, & the general area. However, whatever is there 'may' have happened an extremely long time ago. Like you pointed out, though, that area was active during the war.
Possibly the Hall of Records, or the Public Library could be useful in assisting you. Just an idea!

Good Luck!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: