You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Family House I Want To Forget

Real Ghost Stories

Family House I Want To Forget

 

I am sharing our experience of the super natural because it made a believer out of me;

Our family house in Simonstown Western-Cape South-Africa is a large old house that we renovated after my Mother passed away in 2001. Since my sister and I were both renting at that stage we decided to share our family home and live together, we gave the tenants living there at that time for just over a year, notice. Renovation started and 6 months later we moved in.

The Tenant shared some of her experience with us after they moved out of ghostly activity, but we thought that it was probably because we gave them notice and they were just being nasty. The stories were typical things like, hearing footsteps in the hallway, light bulbs never lasted more than a week and had to be replaced all the time and electricians could find nothing wrong with the wiring, kitchen cupboards being opened when you are not in the kitchen, toilets flushing by themselves and taps started running by themselves although the washers were new, according to the tenant they changed the locks because they thought that someone had a key and was up to no good, this did not solve the problem.

My parents bought the house in 1992, my sister and I both left home already, they never spoke of ghostly activity to us and we also never experienced anything during the years visiting them, our father passed away in 1998.

Day of the move;

1st experience; While waiting for the removal trucks to arrive, my sister and I were sitting on the staircase chatting. Suddenly we heard someone coming down the stairs and we both turned around to see who is was since we were alone, there was no one there. We started giggling about our reaction and the fright we got, we made it of as floor boards creaking and being silly because of the stories the tenant told us.

Looking back on the time we lived in this house I believe that this was the very 1st encounter we had. We often heard floor boards creaking but made nothing of it, The house was old and had wooden floors throughout.

We lived there for about 3 weeks when we had a very unpleasant experience, I was in the kitchen doing dishes and clearly heard my Mother say "What are you doing pumpkin" she use to call me pumpkin. I turned around and saw my sister standing in the doorway, she was clearly uneasy about something and when I asked her what was wrong, she said that she saw our Mother walk by her bedroom door. I then asked her if she had just spoken to me and she insisted that she did not. We believed this was our Mother saying good-bye or visiting us.

After this experience things started getting weird. I constantly had the feeling that someone was watching me or walking behind me, so did my sister. Whenever you walked into the kitchen there would be open cupboards, we would close them just to find that the next time you went into the kitchen they will be open again, I also sometimes smelled baking in the kitchen and we never baked anything ourselves. This smell would only be in the kitchen, not outside or anywhere else, just the kitchen. Light bulbs had to be replaced weekly, as our tenant said, nothing was wrong with the wiring, taps opened by themselves and toilets flushed by themselves. We now started to believe that something was wrong in our house indeed.

I woke up one evening after living there for 3 months and could not move, it felt like something was pushing me down onto my bed, I could not scream or move my arm to put on the beside lamp, when I eventually managed the bedside lamp was not working. I jumped out of bed and ran to the light switch, this also did not work, so I bolted across the hallway and turned on the bathroom light. Scared and shaken up I went to my sisters bedroom. She was sitting on her bed crying. She said that she heard something in her room and when she turned on her light she saw an old man walking out of her room into the hallway. 15 minutes later I entered her room white as a sheet. We did not sleep that night.

The next morning we found the kitchen cupboards opened, we decided to spend the day outdoors and dreaded going home. After this evening we started sharing a bedroom. All went well for a while again until the day my sister used the downstairs bathroom and could not get the door open, she screamed for me to come and help her. I tried for about 15 minutes with no luck. Strange thing about this was that this door was a little loose. We used to keep it open, because it would make a noise if the wind blew. The day my sister got stuck it would not move even 1 mm. It seemed like someone or something was pushing against it. We managed to open it eventually and it opened easily when we tested it. We also could find nothing wrong with it. This was not an isolated incident, the exact same thing happened again 3 days later when I tried to open our bedroom door. I immediately knew that something was wrong. I backed away from the door, sat on my bed and started praying. I then got up, walked to the door and it opened with ease. I could also feel a presence in the room with me that day.

One evening we were watching TV and the light fixture on the ceiling started vibrating. It was a large glass bowl, as suddenly as it started it stopped. Immediately after that the light bulb exploded and about 2 minutes after that one of the upstairs bedroom doors slammed shut. We were to scared to go upstairs and slept in the living room that evening. Naturally we turned on all the lights.

The next day we prayed throughout the house and it was very peaceful after that for about a month, when we woke up one evening and it sounded like someone was trashing our kitchen. We phoned the police, upon their arrival, nothing was out of place in the kitchen and there was no forced entry into the house. After this we put the house on the market and sold it.

Looking back on our time in that house it seems unreal, almost as if it never happened. Thinking about going into that house however is hard to do, we can't even drive by it let alone go inside. It was scary and stressful to say the least. Whether my parents ever experienced anything of this nature at that house remains a mystery and we also don't believe that it was our Mother visiting us that day, we believe that it was something else.

Other hauntings by AngelaTurner001

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AngelaTurner001, has the following expectation about your feedback: I won't be reading the comments.

Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-22)
Stephy - that's okay, the o/p won't be reading the comments anyway LOL.
stephyw2001 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-22)
Please ignore my previous comment, I reread it and yeah, never mind me. 😳
stephyw2001 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-22)
OK, so is it bothering anyone else but me that she first states that her Father died in 1998, but then talks about how her Mother used to call her Pumpkin? Sooooo does the author have any parents left? I'm confused.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-22)
Good point Granny! There are many things to consider when a family's home is inhabited by a spirit or spirits. A lot of people will immediately jump to the "someone must have died there! Or was killed!" theory, this is not always the case!

I think a major theory that the majority of the time is overlooked, is the people who currently live there bringing these spirits in themselves from material objects that the spirit or spirits are connected to.

Whats the bet that the tenants that moved out brought this into your home! You did mention that your parents never mentioned any of these type of events happening whilst they lived there!

Just another way at looking at this experience! 😊

Dan
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-21)
[at] zzgranny,
Yes, I'm with you. It does take away from the legitimacy factor, that's for sure. It makes me think they are afraid of being found out or something. So what's the point?

Jav
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
12 years ago (2012-03-21)
adsouza: Even though I whole heartedly agree with your comment directed at the two below, it doesn't seem to matter since the author stated they won't be reading comments...

I don't know, am I the only one who feels it's a waste of time to publish a story and not give a sh*t whether anyone reads/comments/likes/hates it?...What's the point?...Is it to say on some obscure resume that you're a published author? 😆 😆 😆
MissEmoVampire (3 stories) (25 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-21)
Study the history of the house and see who lived there before your parents or see if there was a builiding which used to be on the land

MEV x
adsouza (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-21)
I have been patient for very long. Sometimes, it just gets too taxing to read comments like those from theawesomerobo and anshu05. You guys need to first study, then understand and finally comment about paranormal experiences of any kind. You probably don't even realize how disturbing it is for someone to read about a loved one not dying a natural death.

Rainlily, MizMiMi and ngute80 are right. The logic is simple - disturb the habitat and the inhabitants try to warn you and make you aware of their presence.

Your mother was there to visit you and it may be completely unrelated to the other experiences.

Piece of advice for posters like theawesomerobo and anshu05 - Stop watching B-grade horror movies.
Anshu: Your ID sounds Indian. I would tell you to stop watching shows like the Zee horror show and Aahat. It will help clear your head.
MizMiMi02 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-20)
I would agree that with RainLilly also, renovations do seems to "stir the pot" sometimes. It's possible that something was attached to the land, or possibly the previous tenants. At this point I can agree that you made the best decision for yourselves, and hope that you haven't experienced any further distress due to the incident. Have you experienced any new activity at all? Just trying to reduce the possibility of it being attached to either your sister or you.
ngute80 (220 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-20)
I forgot to add that I agree with RainLilly, that renovations a lot of times stir up paranormal activity. Maybe that's why your parents never mentioned anything about the house being "haunted ".
ngute80 (220 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-20)
Just because her house was haunted DOES NOT necessarily mean someone died in it or her mother was murdered. Its a pretty juvenile thing to say. There are many reasons for hauntings and paranormal activity.
Anyway, I'm glad you sold that house and no longer dealing with all of that. I enjoyed your story. Thank you for sharing.
-Nancy

This comment from anshu05 is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

RainLilly (36 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-19)
I can't imagine your mother doing things that would frighten you and your sister. Did the tenant happen to mention how long she had been experiencing things in the house? Had it been going on all during her stay, or start later? Just wondering if she might have some idea of what triggered the activity.
Just throwing this out there, but renovations will stir up paranormal activity. Whatever was going on may have been intensified by the renovations yall were doing in the house. Whatever or whoever was in the home, I agree with you that it was not your mother behind the activity.

This comment from Theawsomerobo is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: