You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: The Faithful Dog

Real Ghost Stories

The Faithful Dog

 

A family across the street from us owned a German Shepard named Tino. Now, before I tell the story I have to say that Tino was a beast. He was very protective of the family and when people came by their house, he barked non-stop. You could never mistake his barking with another dog, as he had this very distinct loud howl he would do. Well, not too long ago Tino passed away with old age. After Tino died, the whole family was heart broken. He was their protector, and they loved him. Here is the story.

A week or so after Tino died, the family went on vacation to Florida to see their relatives. They stayed there for about a week, maybe less.

I am a good friend of this family, and would go over their house on many occasions because I live across the street. So they left me in charge of getting their mail and bringing it inside.

One day I had a buddy over, and we were hanging out in my backyard. I then remembered I had to get their mail. I got it and brought it through the backyard and to their backdoor. (They left me a key to the backdoor so I could walk right into the kitchen and drop it on the table, as that was the easiest way.) While carrying the mail I got a phone call, so I put the mail down on the patio table in the backyard and answered it. After I was done with my call I put my phone down and picked up the mail, and brought it inside. I walked back to my house and left my phone on the table by accident.

When I realized this, I told my buddy to go retrieve it, because I am kind of a lazy person. My buddy came back not a minute later and said "No way I'm going in that backyard, that dog is nuts!". I couldn't believe what he had just said. I asked him what he was talking about, and he told me that when he went to the fence to go to the backyard, a German Shepard ran towards the fence and began to howl and bark. I couldn't believe what he had just said, so I ran to the neighbors house with my buddy and went into the backyard. Nothing was there. I told him that the dog he described died about a week ago. My buddy was dumbfounded and said, "But... but I swear I saw a dog, it almost attacked me..." He had never been even remotely close to that house before, there was no way he could have made that story up.

Well, the next night I went to bed thinking about it, and heard a growling howl. Not any ordinary howl, but Tino's howl. I quickly looked out my window towards the house, but nothing was there. I knew Tino was still watching over that backyard.

As soon as the family got home, I told them what happened. They weren't scared at all, they were actually looking forward to anything happening. That's how much they loved that dog. It just goes to show how much Tino cared for that family, as he protected the house during his Life and in Death.

Other hauntings by Trogdor

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Trogdor, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-09-14)
That was such a wonderful story, you are right, it is true that animals can still be around to protect the ones they love even after they are gone. They might not be there in form but in spirit. 😊
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-09-26)
What a wonderful story. Although you say the dog was a beast, he apparently cared deeply for his family and they for him to form such a strong attachment!

I do hope he is at peace. I believe it takes animals time and their own comfort zone and ability to let go to move on as well.

Thanks for sharing!
God Bless!
Qtgrly111 (2 stories) (58 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-15)
The stories or you and lacusclyneofzaft put just me feel a whole lot better, we have to put my dog to sleep and knowing that she might come back in spirit makes me really happy.
😁
lacusclyneofzaft (guest)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-15)
My dog name is Bumble. He died last summer for being reallly old. There are time I sense him in my room. He was trying to scratch some flea off and I would see some table shaking and I knew it was him. Sometime I can hear him sneezing and hear his toenail walking across the wooden hall. Me and my dad is the only one who could hear him walking back and forth from my room to my sisther and even the living room too.
Lexiluca (8 stories) (78 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-12)
I love this. I think it's so cool that the dog's spirit is still around, but I do hope that it finds its way to pass over otherwise it might cause problems in the future. That's still really awesome.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: