You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ouija Board / Seances :: A Message From Beyond

Real Ghost Stories

A Message From Beyond

 

It started out like any other night. Me and my friend Rebecca, Joseph and Harj were just watching TV and we got really bored and then one of us (I can't remember who) suggested that we use the old Ouja board that I had found a couple of weeks before when I cleaned out my garage. I didn't think much of it as my parents are not very religious and though I never asked them they must've used it at some point, or else why would it have been in my house? I had never heard any scary stories or any mention of the possible danger of such things so I just went and got it without a second thought. I can vividly recollect thinking that it's just a subconscious rambling, the results of which are only dangerous to those who are a danger to themselves. I was very wrong.

I eventually managed to drag it from the garage however the wooden planchete that accompanies it was nowhere to be found so we had to use a drinking glass. After about ten minutes of joking and some of the worst ghost impressions imaginable we finally decided to give it a shot. Everyone seemed relaxed and calm, definitely not the attributes you would typically associate with a group who are about to attempt to contact the dead. So we proceeded to open up the game and as I didn't know much about the rules and how to play it we suggested as Joseph was the oldest so he should talk and be the group's orator. After a few failed attempts and muttered giggles from all of us (including him) he shouted out "Is anyone there".

The glass began lightly fettering around the board with everyone in the group accusing the other of moving it. This went on for a little while, counting through the numbers and sliding through the alphabet until Joseph reiterated the question "Who are you?" It spelled out "DAMYN". We all looked at each other wondering whether anyone knew the name or whether it had any special significance and nobody seemed to be able to recall anything. So then, Joseph asserted that maybe it spelled it wrong and asked it to recite again, but this time it spelled "DAMIEN".

Everyone else assumed the same banal expression as earlier, however it was then that I realised something. My childhood neighbour just before we had moved to this new house had been called Damien and when we were about 14 years old when he had been tragically killed in a car accident. Though we weren't really good friends, we still knew of each other and would talk on occasion. This is why it seemed so weird to me and I didn't really believe that someone I hardly knew would "Come through". But irrespective of everything else there is one thing that I am sure of: there is absolutely no way that Rebecca, Joseph or Harj could've known anything about this as it was something which I hadn't spoken of or, in all honesty thought about for a long time.

I then spoke up and asked what Damien this was and where he was from and something happened which makes this story to me, completely unexplainable. It spelled out my hometown, and then when I asked it where I used to live it dragged itself to "4-8" which was the correct house, house 48. I was becoming visibly anxious at this time as the whole group could see and though I had everyone telling me to calm down I couldn't believe that this was happening, or at least I didn't want to believe it was.

It must've been a mixture of arrogance, fear and curiosity which lead me to do the next thing. I was convinced that I must be unknowingly leading the game and moving the glass so I asked aloud if I could leave the game and simply become a spectator. The board seemed to approve this but Joseph and Rebecca were insisting that I keep my hand on the glass and Harj seemed more worried about my personal welfare than any possible aggravation we might cause in the celestial realm.

Joseph had retaken control over the game and I asked him to pose a question on my behalf: "If you are really Damien, then where did we go most Fridays after school?" knowing full well that the answer to this would either lead me to a comfy resolution or great despair. The glass then slowly moved and spelled out T-U-N-N-E-L-S".

The tunnels were where a large group of us would sometimes frequent on Friday afternoons. They were shallow water tunnels below ground level which were about five foot tall. We would spread our feet across the width of the tunnel and shimmy down to the end, spin around and the goal would be to travel both ends of the tunnel without getting wet.

I then clearly remember that I began to cry uncontrollably and didn't want to be involved with this anymore. There is absolutely NO way that could've been a guess on their behalf or a product of my own subconscious ramblings as I was no longer touching the board.

Things then took a real turn for the worst and without prompting the board began spelling out threats, taunts and recalling the names of my relatives (alive and deceased). I was screaming at them to stop still holding onto the vague notion that maybe they were behind it but looking at their terrified expressions it was obvious that this was untrue. The three of them were being thrown around the board as the glass span violently in defiance of any questions or commands and then I remember seeing something which will haunt me for the rest of my life.

The glass somehow raised itself from the board and it must've jumped at least one foot in the air. With their fingertips still lightly anchoring at its top there was no point of grip, and no way could they have been lifting it in the air with their limp index fingers resting on the top. The three of them stared in disbelief as I looked on in horror, upon recollection it was like watching a scary movie in slow motion as the glass came crashing down onto the board. It smashed into tiny pieces and it didn't seem as though such a height should even fracture the glass, let alone smash it to pieces.

We sat in a state of confusion wondering what exactly just happened and what it was that we had just contacted. Though we remained friends for years afterwards things were never quite the same after that night. Once something like that happens you can't just flip a switch and go "Back to normal". It causes an inner conflict where you have to reassess all of the things you once thought were true about life and death.

My purpose in transcribing this story is not to scare monger people, nor is to advocate the use of a Ouja board. I wanted to share this with the world and let people know that they should always be prepared whenever stepping into a situation where they are dealing with the unknown. Although it stands in opposition to every rational fibre of my thought I have to concede that what we experienced that night was product of genuine supernatural phenomena.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, LirraRaenic, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

moonflower000 (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-14)
Weird that the moor I read these stories the more I want to try it?
BunnyPanda (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-28)
I was glad how you got to communicate with Damien again, but I got horrified when everything got overcontrolled. Take care.
Yuni_Sasameki (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-18)
I really hope your souls will be safe after that experience. Even though it's dangerous, though, somehow I still have the erge to try the oija board. 😐
Skelopatch (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-24)
Sounds scary D: hope you all were ok:)
In my life I've always been tempted to use a oujia board, but I never will:P

Best of luck
*Skelo*
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-24)
Thats really scary experience Lirra. In fact, I was having the same thinking like roseinbloom that you did not close the board properly. Was there any other incident subsequent to your Ouija session? Thank God that no one was hurt. But, I have been telling every one that playing with Ouija is always risky since we do not know what's going to happen and we could be a gateway of the spirits to this world and the most important thing is that we don't know whether those spirits are good or bad. Anyway, a great story and you have a way of telling them. Share your other experiences, if any.
vidya_amani (2 stories) (78 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-22)
Sometimes you need scary things and threatening spirits to make you believe...

I find it fascinating that something picked up the glass as to throw it in pieces - could have been a good spirit that wanted to terminate the contact you have made... Since the bad ones would have kept playing you on the board, and messing with your head... Where there are "demons" around Angels or Guardians are never too far behind on their arses... Could have been damien or a relative as Guardian of you that picked it up and threw it on the ground to scare the bad spirits away.

My Grandma told a story that when she was in art school, they played the same game in a room, and one of the bad spirits made a run for the door, a black shadow knocking down someone in the hall just to get away from them... Maybe the demon got spooked by an Angel of one of them!
😆
roseinbloom (4 stories) (117 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-21)
Lirra, I agree with what, nyuboom has said. However, I need to ask, since you may have been unable to properly, close the board, were there any other occurances that have happedned in your lives? That's why on the board, it has the word, goodbye, so the communication can be sealed, and close off all ties with the spirits that were present.
Oh, and I have to say, that you write very well. Please share any and all experiences with us. We would love to read them.
nyuboom (1 stories) (28 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-03-21)
What happened was that at first you were talking to Damien, but as you can see after crying things got out of control. Evil spirits attract to sadness and take advantage of it. They kicked Damien right off the Ouija and started taunting you because they knew you would get scared. I believe that's what happened atleast. Thankfully no one got hurt.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: