You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: My Friend's Message?

Real Ghost Stories

My Friend's Message?

 

This just happened to me last night. (3/25/19) I thought it strange and wanted to share to get your impressions. (I'll explain my thinking at the end.)

A little over 40 years ago, I met a little girl on the playground at school. We were both 8 years old. She was new to the school and I was one of those kids that would rather play on the swings alone than be in a group of kids. She and I became fast friends. Before you knew it, we were best friends doing everything together. Even as adults we were very close. Our kids are all close in age too.

2 1/2 years ago, she was diagnosed with cancer and not given much time. We were still quite close (except for the miles between us) but, as happens in life, we had an argument or two. As time went on, we would talk here and there, but her cancer progressed and she passed away a few weeks ago. Luckily for me, we were able to make amends first.

Anyway, last night I was really missing her and was talking to her. My husband was downstairs listening to the stereo. I was apologizing to her for not standing up at her funeral and saying a few words (I have social anxiety and can't get up in front of a group of people.) I apologized for not being by her side as much as I wanted to or felt I should have. And on and on I'm sure you get the picture. I asked her before closing my eyes to come talk to me in my dreams just so I could know she's OK. As I laid my head down and closed my eyes I heard the song "Thank you for being a friend" (Theme song from "The Golden Girls) come on the stereo from downstairs.

I am not sure what all of you will say this is. One part of me truly wants to believe it was her telling me it's OK. But the other part of me says it was just a total coincidence that this particular song played right then. I am tending to believe the latter although I would like someone to convince me it was the former.

Thanks for any input.

Other hauntings by Mel-D72

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Mel-D72, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Haven (20 stories) (307 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-04-11)
Mel-D72 - I agree with you 100%

Thanks for reading my story. 😁
Mel-D72 (4 stories) (12 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-04-10)
I tried posting a reply earlier, but for some reason it didn't send.
Fist, thank you all for reading and replying. This does seem exactly like something she would do. Just so when I hear the song or someone says it like my husband did the other day while letting a bee outside (he was speaking for the bee Haha) I think of her... Not that I could ever forget her.
Second, thank you all for the condolences. It's been tough.
Third, Haven, I just read your story from last year about your dad and his cellphone message. My condolences on the loss of your father. Your story sounds incredibly like mine. I am really starting to believe that people whom we love contact us again to let us know they're ok and it seems to be when we need it most.
~Mel~
Caz (342 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-04-10)
Hello Mel...
Like Haven, I don't believe in coincidences either, so my view on this is when you spoke to your friend, she listened!
Haven (20 stories) (307 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-04-09)
Hi, Mel-D72 -

I don't believe in coincidence, this was perfect timing. Go with what your heart tells you. You knew your friend, ask yourself if this is something she would do.

I'm sorry for your loss.
Cuddlebear (4 stories) (173 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-04-09)
Mel-D72 ~

I am sorry to read of your loss. Losing a close long time friend is hard, especially in one so young.

As a skeptic I would assign the incident to coincidence, but that is me and that is what makes me comfortable.

To a large extent "perception is reality" even if what is perceived is not true. We act as though our perceptions are valid, it is the only thing we have go by.

So I would say to you if you believe that this was a message from your friend, or perhaps on behalf of your friend from another entity, and that makes you feel better, go with it. No one has the ability to say with assurance that you are wrong. You will never know in this life, perhaps later, if there is an afterlife, you may find out.
msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-04-09)
Hi Mel-D72,

Through life, every once in a while, something happens and I am left with questions as to if it was a message or if it was not.

I guess it is what you want it to be.

Jan
Mel-D72 (4 stories) (12 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-04-09)
Her Finace' and I were talking a few nights ago. We are both leaning towards her sending that song so it pops up and we don't forget about her. (Not that we ever could).
I like to believe that we see our loved ones again; that they come to us in dreams; and that they are waiting for us when it is ultimately our time too.
The song we always sang was "Lean on Me" so I was kind of surprised when "Thank you for being a Friend" played right then.
Thanks for your replies.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-04-09)
I rather prefer "The Wind Beneath My Wings" but "Theme from the Golden Girls" is also good.

I'm with RSAChick. It is probably a coincidence. Or not. 🤔
RSAChick (115 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-04-08)
Hi Mel-D72!
I cannot confirm this was your friend's doing or just a coincidence, but I do believe you shouldn't be too hard on yourself about not speaking at her funeral.

Very special that you made amends in life - not everyone has that opportunity. I also like to believe that you will meet your friend again in the life after this one.

Thanks for sharing!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: