You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: New Years Eve

Real Ghost Stories

New Years Eve

 

Five years ago (back in the boy racer days) on New Years eve, me and one of my best friends Will were out in his car. Everybody that we both knew were either out doing their own thing for the night, or just being boring and staying in.

We both didn't really have the money to go out drinking and partying after Christmas, so we both thought why not throw £10 in the tank and go a drive around blasting. The night started off like any normal night out in the car (or cruising as its commonly known lol) But for some strange and unknown reason Will decided to drive through Cannock Chase (about 2 miles from our home town Hednesford). This area is famous for sightings of black panthers, a large snake and even a bigfoot or werewolf like creature.

After driving around for about an hour and half or so, the time was drawing close to midnight. I'd brought a couple of cans of lager out with us to bring in the new year, so we decided to park up in a small pull in to let the new year in. We tuned the cars stereo into radio as we both had a laugh talking about what new years resolutions that we'd not stick to. To cut a long story short the chimes of Big Ben rung through the speakers of the car, and we both cracked open our cans and toasted the new year

We sat there for about another half an hour, when Will suddenly flinched and said "Did you just move your arm behind me then?". Baring in mind that my one hand was holding my can, and the other was one was holding my mobile. Will then suddenly turned the key in the ignition barrel, rammed the car into first and floored the car wheel spinning down the road. We were parked up about 300 metres from the Baptist college. Will hurtled past the building over the junction with out looking and onto the gravel car park opposite, when he suddenly pulled the handbrake up spinning the car around 180 degrees. He then immediately throw open the drivers side door, and started being violently sick.

I said to him confused, shaken up and angrily, "What the bloody hell are you doing you idiot?". But as I looked at him with the interior light shining on him, I could see fear in his eyes and his face was completely white. He just looked at me for a few minutes and said, "I saw like a black shadow move from behind you and across the back of me!". He then said "Lets just get out of here!", and he floored the car out of the car park and off right up towards Pye Green.

But things weren't over then, the car all of a sudden lost most of its power. Even as Will changed down from third into first the car still had no power, even at the redline! I could see Will putting his right foot firmly down on the pedal, it was like something was intentionally holding the car back! We slowly got to the next junction and turned left into it and still moving slowly, when the car suddenly got its power back. Will put his foot down so we quickly got off Cannock Chase, and we parked up on a nearby car park at the bottom end of Pye Green. Will turned off the ignition and said "Al!... I don't know what that was!?... But its scared the crap out of me!".

I know Will wasn't trying to play a prank on me or scare me, because of the way he looked and how he was shaking when we parked up. But whatever or whoever it was it scared us half to death. So that's why I thought I'd post this story on here.

I've only ever seen one spirit and that was of my late Granddad John, who sadly passed away in the mid nineties from cancer. He was sitting in the back seat of my car a couple of weeks after I'd passed my test, when I looked in my rear view mirror and I noticed him smiling at me. Ironically this was as I was driving across the Chase too.

I've driven passed the place where this happened tons of times on my own, with friends and at all times of day and night. But haven't seen anything happen since.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, vavavoom, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

vavavoom (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-15)
I know mate! It was freaky needless to say. Whatever or whoever it was, it scared Will half to death. I've been passed that particular place tons of times at all times of day and night, and nothing has ever happened since.
butthead (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-15)
that's strange them man. I guess it's not hard to tell if the car isn't moving fast due to wheel spinning either lol.
If it's not that then, damn. Sounds like something was possibly drawing off energy from the car. Or didn't want the car to leave. But i'd go with the first if I was asked to hazard a guess.
vavavoom (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-12)
Hey guys!

Butthead, It was like something was pulling the car back. I thought the car should be wheel spinning at those kind of revs, but it defo had no power even though we were driving on tarmac. Lets just say it was not at all normal. I can't think of anything of the non paranormal, that could have caused this. Cheers for your comments and for reading my story mate.

And thanks too for reading Dark_wolf96

All the best to you guys
dark_wolf96 (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-12)
Very nice story! I truly feel for your friend. Having to go through that it quit stressful, I'm sure. Any who, thank you for posting. I enjoyed reading of your... Or, well, your friends experience! 😊
butthead (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-11)
you said it was red lining but not going anywhere? If it was losing power it surely wouldn't be red lining though?
The revs would be low, unless there was no traction because he accelerated to fast?
butthead (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-11)
that story I can relate to in many many ways, as I wrote one on here in a fair few similar circumstances.
I know the feeling your friend had b4 he saw it, and know the fear it put in him when he saw it.
I've heard of cars losing power in ''the presence'' of possible paranormal occurances, and am not discrediting it as paranormal, but if i'm right the incident with the car red lining in 1st but not going fast, that was after you drove onto a gravel car park no?
I'm just wondering if the car was not going anywhere because of it wheelspinning on the gravel.

Well wrote story though, many shivers especialy as I can relate to that situation very well.
vavavoom (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-11)
Hiya isis80, yes the car took off well. Especially for a 1200cc vauxhall corsa... It was a very creepy night to say the least.

Mel, I actually spoke to Will today. I asked him about the incident, and what he remembers from that night. He told me that it was like the entity shall we say, passed through the back of the car. But he said that when he was driving up towards Pye Green that he felt its presence with him all the way to the British Telecom tower. I know that he isn't lying, because of the extreme fear that I saw in his eyes. He also said that he could here something or someone whispering in his ear. I asked him what, and he said that he couldn't make out what was being said.

I myself didn't see or feel anything that night, but Will obviously did. The only thing that I saw happen was the moment when the corsa had no power. As I mentioned in my story, I saw that the cars rev counter was at almost at the redline in a low gear and was hardly moving. But that's all that I saw.

Thanks for taking the time to read my story guys!

God bless you all and all the best

Alex
isis80 (3 stories) (51 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-11)
This was a good story, I felt the fear and adrenaline as well as he tried to speed away.
mellybarr (4 stories) (46 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-10)
Thanks for posting your story!j

It creeped me out when you wrote about the fear in his eyes after what had happened.

I do have a quick question though...

Was the black figure he saw in the back seat or did it move around the back of the car?

The reason I ask this is because if it was in fact inside the car, why would he want to speed away? I would think he might want to exit the vehicle if that were the case.

Thanks again.

Mel

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: