You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Orbs / Lights / Mists :: The Night Watcher

Real Ghost Stories

The Night Watcher

 

My parents live in a very large apartment complex in Pittsburgh's South Hills area. The aparement has been there since the 60's and has long been rumored to be haunted. Over the years I've heard many stories from long-time tenants about heavy footfalls in the halls, strange laughter, things moving around on their own and all types of other sordid events. My own story occured in the summer of 2002, while I was staying with my parents temporarily while waiting to return to New York City for a new job.

I had just come back from a late night out with friends (No drinking was involved) and was walking down the hall to my parents apartment (My parents live at the end of a very long hall, literally almost half the length of a football field). During my walk, I kept getting the overwhelming feeling that someone was watching me. Now, I've had that feeling before, and it usually goes away as soon as I close the door to my parent's place. But this night, it didnt. I initially ignored it, got a shower, and went to bed, closing my bedroom door behind me.

Out of nowhere, I SNAPPED awake, heart racing, in a cold sweat, instantly terrified, and I had no clue why. Then I heard the breathing. I was beneath my covers, and I could hear breathing just over the covers, inches above my face. Like something was watching me, right above my blanket. I was frozen beneath my covers, eyes wide open, more frightened than I've ever been. I'm a pretty tough guy. Fighter for years, well-versed in two martial arts styles, yet I could only lay there, stricken with debilitating fear, waiting for whatever was in my room to go away. And for what felt like hours, it didn't. I could actually hear it moving around my room, hitting cologne bottles on my dresser, knocking off hats I had hung on the wall, and moving back and forth past my beaded curtain, making it gently rattle.

Finally, I found the courage to reach out from my covers and grab the remote to the television. I clicked it on and lay there, still too scared to take my head out from beneath the covers. After a while, I slowly pulled the covers down, and looked toward my door. It was ajar, and I saw a large, perfectly symetrical black ball moving slowly out of the room. And I knew I wasn't seeing things, because it was blacker than the dark around it, and it paused when it saw that I was watching. I couldn't see, but I felt like it was smiling at me, warning me that it would be back. It sat there for a few seconds, hovering by the door before slowly exiting the room. After it left, the tension in my room was gone, and somehow, I drifted off to sleep.

The next morning, just to be sure, I asked my parents if they happened to be in my room the night before. Neither of them were. I have since moved out. I visit my parents often, but anytime I am alone in their place, I get a feeling that something there either dosen't want me there, of just plain dosen't like me. And I am still scarred from that night. It's been 10 years, and to this day, I can't sleep without the television on.

My parents continue to experience odd events in their place occasionally, but they refuse to move, saying that as long as it doesn't hurt them, they have no reason to go. They obviously never went through what I did there.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, jubei4000, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-11)
It would be interesting to know if anyone else in the building has had a similar experience, but I guess it would be difficult to find out. Not exactly something you can bring up in polite conversation ("by the way, have you ever seen an evil, black floaty blob?"). Do they have a communal peg-board? You could post a note saying you're researching the history of the building and if anyone has anything "interesting" they'd like to share, please give you a call.
jubei4000 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-11)
I actually looked into it before and found out that 3 people had died in the apartment a long time ago. But they were all old people (which kind of explains why the complex is haunted. Alot of the tenants are old and a ton have passed in the building. It's a pretty regular occurence.) and died of natural causes, so I'm not exactly sure why something that would feel so evil would be a deceased old person. My parents have lived in the place for 20+ years at this point and my incident was the only one that was that extreme.
Shadow-Girl (12 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-11)
Maybe reserch up, take a look who lived there before you, maybe there is something there that might answer things? Just a thought:]
jubei4000 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-10)
The hats were on the floor when I looked out from my covers. A cologne bottle was on its side, another leaned against a jewelry box and my beaded curtains were still moving a bit. All of the items had always been where they were and had never fallen over or been knocked down before.
tempestmoong (3 stories) (33 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-10)
You mentioned that it sounded like it was knocking hats and things off.

When you got up the next morning was anything on the floor?

Nickie
jubei4000 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-10)
Honestly, I have no clue what it was. I have always been kind of a believe it when I see it type of guy. The whole "ghosts and goblins" stuff easnt really anything I thought too hard about back then. All I know is that I remember having a heavy sense of dread in the room, and the fear I felt wasn't An ordinary kind of fear. It didn't feel like there was a "human" in there with me. And when I saw the black ball (which was HUGE by the way. Wasn't one of those tiny orbs people see. I recall it covering almost a 3rd of the door as it passed.) it felt like it was from some dark place. All I know is I don't want to see it again. EVER...
Queenzombie (1 stories) (39 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-10)
I am curious to know what you though it was in your opinion. Ghost? Demonic figure?

That was a very scary story. I am reading it at work and was afraid someone was going to scare me on accident LOL.

There was a line in there where you said you were under the covers and could feel him breathing right over the blanket... The first time I read it I swore it said that he was breathing under the blanket. SCARY! But thankfully I reread it:)

Sorry I'm not much help. I have more experience in randomly running into ghosts while searching for them.

Queenzombie

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: