You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My Favourite Patient

Real Ghost Stories

My Favourite Patient

 

I am currently studying a Bachelor of Nursing. For our first year, we had a placement at a rest home where we were allowed to interact with patients and nurses alike to help us learn new skills. Among all of our duties, we each had one patient who we were to care for throughout the duration of our stay. My patient was called "Mr. X" (I changed his name to protect his privacy.)

Rest homes can be creepy enough, even at the best of times. The particular place I was situated at was an old villa that had been a hospice during the late 30's, but was renovated in the early 90's and a rest home wing was added to the original structure. The laundry room was the worst place to be alone. In the far end of the original villa, the laundry was cold, dark and always secluded. When asked to venture in there, I would always run in and run back out.

Whenever I took Mr X to the laundry to gather his belongings, he would say in an eerily casual voice, "Look's like Steve is here to see you today. He told me he loves when you visit him in here. It gets awfully lonely in the boiler room." And he would wave at the corner near the door that lead to the old boiler room (it's just storage space now). I could never tell whether Mr X was joking or not, but I would laugh anyway, not wanting to seem afraid. Mr X always joked around with me. He wouldn't let any of the other nurses look after him if I was on duty because he always had so much to tell me about his week. He would tell me that I was his favourite nurse, and he was easily my favourite patient.

One Tuesday I was doing my first night shift, I was very excited as patients in the day are much different than at night. It was one of those nights where the dark seems to press in on every corner, almost like a blanket. I felt a little uneasy as I was doing rounds on my own in the original building. When I walked past the laundry room I seemed to get the feeling I was being watched, thinking of Mr X, I chuckled to myself trying to think of Steve as a joke. I finished my round and headed back to the nurses station.

When the charge nurse asked how my rounds had been, I told her about how I always feel uneasy when I go near the laundry. She laughed and told me not to be silly. She said, "As a nurse, you will get used to creepy places, our main concern is the living, not the dead." She and the other nurses laughed for a bit then she looked at me again, "Since you love the laundry so much, there are some sheets that needed to be cleaned for tomorrow, you can run them down." I thought she was joking. Unfortunately she wasn't. (As a new nurse, you get picked on a bit. It's all fun and games and you eventually learn to live with it.)

I decided to just get my trip to the laundry over and done with, so I grabbed the sheets and went on my way. It was so dark in the old building. It wasn't a cold night, but the breeze snuck through small gaps in the old panels creating a chill. I pushed open the door with my foot and reached my hand through the door to turn on the light before I went in, not wanting to enter in the dark. I felt a small breeze on my hand. I figured it was just coming from the paneling, and heard a small creak, which I again put down to the breeze against the old building. I walked into the room and out of habit, looked toward the boiler room. To my surprise, the door was slightly ajar. Knowing that doors in a rest home should always be closed, I walked over to close it. That was when, out of the corner of my eye, I saw something, a light, move behind the door. As much as I didn't want to look, I peeked through the gap and saw a man, sitting on a bucket with a wild grin on his face. I slammed the door shut and fled out of the room, leaving the sheets on the floor.

As I sped round the corner, I ran into a very welcome face. Mr X smiled at me, startled, and asked what was wrong. When I was done explaining what I saw, he laughed and walked towards the laundry. I reluctantly followed. Mr X walked up to the boiler room door and opened it. It was empty, "Nothing can hurt you, Dear" he said. "You are well protected. I can tell." He winked at me. I smiled awkwardly and told him it must have been my eyes playing a trick on me, he laughed again and turned to me. It was at that point I remembered Mr X wasn't supposed to be walking around on his own at night. I offered to walk him back to his room. He walked towards me, stopping first to pick up the sheets I had dropped. "What kind of wife will you be if you leave your sheets all over the floor?" he teased. I automatically chilled out and laughed. He knew how to make me laugh, Mr X did. I walked Mr X back to his room and got him settled before bidding him goodnight and telling him I would see him on Thursday. The last thing I saw as I closed his door, was him smiling at me lovingly and then turning his head as though to talk to someone.

Thursday morning, I showed up at placement ready to start my day. At handover, the nurse didn't mention whether or not Mr X was due for a shower so I went to ask her. She looked at me with surprise, "Mr X passed away on Tuesday morning. I'm sure you must have been told when you had your night shift. Didn't you think it was weird he didn't come to see you?" She then smiled sadly at me and walked off. I didn't think it was weird he hadn't come to see me, because he had.

I had 3 more weeks left at that particular placement. For those remaining weeks, I was no longer afraid of the laundry room. In fact, I felt a calm warm feeling whenever I walked past.

I'm sorry my story was so long, I hope it entertained you or gave you chills. It is 100% true, whether you believe it or not.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Zealand

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Nurse1992, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Vonboeckmann (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-02-09)
Yes this was a good while ago. Guess you are qualified by now. Thanks for the memories. When I was young I remember hating the morgue. As the lift used to stop opening in a dark space the bodies would sometimes groan under the sheet. That was the remaining air in the lungs. As the decades passed I worked with military. Remember 2 things.# dead is dead you can only improve on it.# soldiers will never hurt a nurse. They love and respect us. Alive or dead. Nurse 1992. I wish you well in your chosen profession. Kind regards J.
Khili180 (3 stories) (78 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-18)
Aawwww I love this story! I know it's from way back but I'm new and I just read it... Totally loved it! Goes straight to my favourites:) thanks for the share... It is awfully sweet when thankfull patients show you their love... Feels wonderful:) love it!
mimerkki (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-07)
Lovely story. And to think you did not know you walked a ghost back to his room:) In my opinion this is a way a spirit should behave.
creepersjeepers66 (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-30)
He must had made you more comfortable or you might have still been scared of the boiler room. But glad you got to see the dear Mr. X while after his passing. ๐Ÿ˜Š
AllieAllison (28 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-29)
this sort of stuff happens ofton once a womon saw an imige of her son in a mirror,smiling. A day later she receved a teligram saying her son had been killed.
Another time a girl heard her father say (in her head) I love you, see you soon. Then she found out he died. I could go on and on but that would be silly the pint is, Mr. X must have liked you a lot to see you after death, its a happy thing. As for steve he was probly eather a harmless lingering ghost or a joke. You get a comfortabl feeling when you walk past the laundry room because, it was a speacal place for you and Mr. X and his spirt makes it warm and comforting. I think he has... Shall we say passed on now.

Allison ๐Ÿ˜Š
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-28)
As many others have already mentioned this truly was a great account Nurse1992, I'm so pleased you got to MR X one last time after he had passed he was obviously very fond of you. Thank you for sharing this with all of us here, please don't hold back if you have any more experiences. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Thank you

Dan
Tyka (2 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-27)
A lovely story. You were obviously very special to him in his final days. Thank you for sharing.
Geraldy68 (2 posts)
-3
12 years ago (2012-05-25)
Meet someone who already passed away is a nice day. Because maybe he can protect you from the devil and the satan who wants to make you sick or what
Geraldy68 (2 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-05-25)
A good stories. Thx because already give a information and story like that
teafortwo1922 (3 stories) (20 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-05-25)
I love your story
I truely believe ghost when they die do say good bye to there love ones. You must of been somthing to him.
I do like oldier people they have great storys to tell about there life.
My grandfather passed away 7 years ago. I saw him once in the hostipal right before I left to Mexico for a couple mouths. While my folks left to Greece. I remember the day like it was yesterday I said good bye I love you very very much you will get better soon soldier. He died a mouth later. I new when he died cause he said good bye to me the night he died I did not think any thing of it at the time I just thought it was a ghost scaring me. I found out the next day I was in tears and could not say soldier years after now I can say it. I miss him a great deal and so want to to talk to him cause I have the love history like he did and I am living history the days of his youth he would love doing all it with me.
Every now and then I do smell old spice cause that is what he wore and I see him from time to time.
The last time I saw him was at a museum I volunteer for we had a parnormal night and he pop up and told me how disapointed in me. I did talk to him a little but not much.
Barbie1637 (1 stories) (34 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-05-24)
Great story... My mom was a Empath as am I and she was also a nurse at a nursing home... I would hear her talking about seeing stuff there when I was little... She has since passed away. A nursing home is surely a hot spot for spirits good and bad... Saved you as my fav poster and story. Hope to hear more from you... ๐Ÿ˜Š
Morticia1 (6 stories) (162 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-24)
Nurse1992 thankyou for sharing. I'm with rook ind etc he must have loved you very much and realised how terrified you were of the boiler room to do that ๐Ÿ˜Š
sonri (2 stories) (91 posts)
+5
12 years ago (2012-05-24)
I absolutely adore the elderly. I can not understand why people act ashamed of their age, like it isn't an accomplishment to not have died yet. I tend to have to restrain myself from hugging them on sight. Particularly women. I just want to call them Grandmother and embrace them, listen to whatever they have to say.
Nurse1992 (1 stories) (6 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-24)
Thank you everyone for your lovely feedback on my story. I'm glad that it has warmed so many hearts:)
Hitsugaya_Toshiro_ice (13 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-05-24)
Wonderful story, you must be very important to him so he visit you. Meet someone who has been passed away is always nice ๐Ÿ˜Š

I've also met my father after he passed away. He stayed about 1 week after his death.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-05-23)
What a wonderful story!

I'm sure "Mr X" was thankful for your kindness and help during the time you worked at that place, and he was a good old man with a great heart.

Thanks for sharing
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-23)
I really liked that story. And I agree with Mr. X because ghost don't normaly hurt people. There's never much of a reason to, unless you anger them ๐Ÿ˜‰
Thanks for sharing
GIRLIE โค
MizMiMi02 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-23)
What a great story.:) Seems Mr X knew you were scared of the boiler room, and maybe that's how he thought to help you overcome it. He must have been a special man to his family.
Jesus_soldier (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-23)
This was a beautiful story. I agree with rook and ind. I also think Mr. X was holding your hand when you went into the laundry room. He knew how terrified you were.

Thank you for sharing
ind_83 (55 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-23)
I definitely agree with Rook, I also think that even after our loved ones passed away, they are always there when we need them most. And Nurse1992, I loved reading your story, it is really nice & a bit creepy too. ๐Ÿ˜Š
Take care ๐Ÿ˜Š
God Bless โค
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-05-23)
Nurse1992

Fantastic story! I have often wondered if those that are close to death are more open to the sprit world? Perhaps this was the case with Mr X or maybe he was just sensitive anyway.

Mr X sounded like a wonderful person, I really admire your line of work as it must be difficult getting close to patients then having to say goodbye when they pass.

Thanks for sharing, I am going to add this to my favourites list ๐Ÿ˜Š
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-05-23)
Friends and Loved ones have a way of letting us know they care, even after they have passed. Thank you for sharing this experience with us.

Respectfully,

Rook
Nurse1992 (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-22)
No, unfortunately I didn't learn more about Steve, he never bothered me after that.
ngute80 (220 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-22)
I absolutely love this story! " Mr.X" must have truly loved you, and what a blessing you must have been to him at the end of his life โค. Thank you for sharing
HappySpirit (187 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-22)
This one of the best stories at this site! Love it. If you run into any more grateful patients who drop by for a visit before going on, please share.
misstee4 (21 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-22)
This is a really nice story. Did you ever find out who Steve was or anything about the boiler room?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: